Strategy Going through the scraps - delisted free agents

Remove this Banner Ad

He's an above average disposal winner for an afl winger, slightly more contested than average with an elite defensive game and kicking which is statistically average for afl. He's a good size, age and a good runner. He's vanilla and he's free. We literally gave away a list spot by unnecessarily upgrading Frederick and Dumont is costing us stuff all for someone who has been an average unexciting afl player

Wasnt Dumont played out of position last year in favour of giving the younger blokes a go?

We all know only too well when you have someone played out of position (not saying he is Travis Boak quality but thats a prime example of what happens when you play a bloke out of position).
His 2020 was a very decent year averaging mid 20s disposal and in the top tier of tacklers in the competition

As he is 26 years old and coming from a team who has been complete rubbish i see this as a no brainer taking him as a rookie or a DFA and he will add some great depth in our midfield.

I can easily see him playing in our best 22 if he has a good pre-season and performs as he is capable.

Those saying he is complete rubbish and its a waste of a list spot dont watch enough footy IMO

Wasnt Dumont played out of position last year in favour of giving the younger blokes a go?

We all know only too well when you have someone played out of position (not saying he is Travis Boak quality but thats a prime example of what happens when you play a bloke out of position).
His 2020 was a very decent year averaging mid 20s disposal and in the top tier of tacklers in the competition

As he is 26 years old and coming from a team who has been complete rubbish i see this as a no brainer taking him as a rookie or a DFA and he will add some great depth in our midfield.

I can easily see him playing in our best 22 if he has a good pre-season and performs as he is capable.

Those saying he is complete rubbish and its a waste of a list spot dont watch enough footy IMO

Has Sinn just taken Dumont's spot?

Do we really need him now?

Believe so and his ratio of uncontested to contested possessions changed, reflecting the move and at least some ability to adapt even if it wasn't what he wanted - unlike another "name" we know well from North's list. An inexpensive Dumont is smart all-purpose depth for our midfield. We're relying on someone to start moving inside, with a "difference", not just one of the more recent draftees, Butters, Duursma, Bergman, hell we've been waiting for Sam PP to have that big break out year for what five years now. Not saying he's the same player as Sam - but it makes sense to hedge all our varying bets for the midfield transition from Boak and Robbie etc with a fairly known competent quantity as depth. If he takes his opportunities and say Sam doesn't, well that plays out in next year's trade period.

Thursday 25 November at 10.00pm – Rookie Upgrade Period opens; AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences

Thursday 25 November at 11.00pm – Rookie Upgrade Period closes; AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes

Maybe someone can show some of his amazing hi-lights reel, for some reason it appears quite difficult to locate.
What was Josh Mahoney's highlights video like in 2003?

That's what we are basically getting from Dumont, a depth type player, who might surprise if he gets an opportunity.

I wasn't that excited by Mahoney when we took him in the PSD, or his debut, which was an Olympics like experience ie he picked up 5 big fat 0's, 0 kicks, 0 handballs, 0 marks, 0 goals, 0 score assists. The only thing he recorded was 1 tackle and gave away 1 free kick. Choco paid him out big time after Melbourne belted us at the MCG.

But somehow he came back, was a bit lucky, there were a few injuries and he nailed down a spot, may have be number 20 or 21 or 22 picked every week, but he kept his spot and ended up contributing to winning the flag.

So who knows, we might luck out a second time. We might not. Just keep him away from the taxis if he is doing ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back