Strategy Going through the scraps - delisted free agents

Yes.

He spent most of this year playing out of position on a wing as Norf threw trying to win out the window and gave centre square gametime to the kids, but if you compare Dumont's stats from last season when he played a proper midfield role to Drew's stats this season in a midfield role, Dumont compares pretty favourably.

Drew's probably a better defensive player than Dumont, but Dumont is probably a better attacking player. Depends what mix the coaches want in the centre square. Or alternatively we could just end up going with one less flanker and playing both.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If an injury or two strike the midfield I'd be going SPP, Bergman, Butters, Rozee maybe even Jones etc. for more time in there, Dumont would just be plodding away in the SANFL.

I guess the difference is that guys like Meyer and Harding never proved themselves as AFL capable prior to coming here. Someone like Dumont, whilst vanilla, has at least proven himself as AFL capable

Yep. And the other difference is we've got a strong best 22 with no expectation that these players would need to be anything other than depth/role players.

Someone like Dumont, whilst vanilla, has at least proven himself as AFL capable

It’s hard to know what to make of him, really.

When he’s not injured he’s played a multitude of roles, from the loosest flanker/winger who wouldn’t put a dent in the Napisan budget, to combative inside mid with impressive tackle/clearance numbers, to shameless accumulator who can link inside50 and hit the scoreboard himself — and despite this gadget deployment, registered Syd Barker finishes of =5th (2018), =3rd (2019) & 5th (2020) before the 5-month calf which scuppered his 2021.

Only just turned 26 in June.

Provided he manages a full preseason for the first time since before COVID, he could have one of those silly 22-game breakouts that has people scratching their head.

Dumont also went through a tough mental health battle after the criminal allegations against him. He spoke openly and bravely about suicide ideation.

P4Life

All Australian
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep. And the other difference is we've got a strong best 22 with no expectation that these players would need to be anything other than depth/role players.
Spot on DFA's in most cases are less exciting than Mid Season draft picks. With DFA's you know what you are going to get in 98% of cases, as they have had the opportunity to show it at the club who no longer wants them.
Someone like a Trent Burgoyne who hasnt had a huge chance to show his skills might be different but i think you are getting exactly what you said, depth and role players.
So maybe a Dumont provides a break glass situation but priority has to be midfield time for Butters etc.

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes.

He spent most of this year playing out of position on a wing as Norf threw trying to win out the window and gave centre square gametime to the kids, but if you compare Dumont's stats from last season when he played a proper midfield role to Drew's stats this season in a midfield role, Dumont compares pretty favourably.

Drew's probably a better defensive player than Dumont, but Dumont is probably a better attacking player. Depends what mix the coaches want in the centre square. Or alternatively we could just end up going with one less flanker and playing both.

We absolutely need depth for Drew anyway. His recurring foot issues scare me and we started 2021 with Drew/Rockliff in that defensive mid role and now only have Drew. If he goes down we'll be replacing him with a more offensive midfielder which leaves us a lot more vulnerable to the Petracca/Bont/Dusty's of the comp.

I reckon if there wasn't any industry wide covid salary cap issues he would have been traded.

But the clubs know that he just can't get a game as a KPP for WCE, has been playing ok as a tall wingman, is out of contract, clubs are tight with their caps, WCE say we are struggling to fit him in and give him games, so they loose him for nothing. 5 years ago he probably is traded for a pick in the 35-50 range.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Going through the scraps, I would approach Jarrod Lienert.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I reckon if there wasn't any industry wide covid salary cap issues he would have been traded.

But the clubs know that he just can't get a game as a KPP for WCE, has been playing ok as a tall wingman, is out of contract, clubs are tight with their caps, WCE say we are struggling to fit him in and give him games, so they loose him for nothing. 5 years ago he probably is traded for a pick in the 35-50 range.
I wouldn't mind Port having a look.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
No love for Cameron Taheny? Kicked 3 goals I think on SANFL debut against Port in his draft year. Geelong took him in the 40s or 50s and have now delisted him after 2 COVID years on the list. Not old enough for them I suppose.

I don’t understand the reason he has gone from first round prospect to scrap heap in 3 years. Pace? Lack of forward pressure? Attitude? Looked like he’d be a star R1 at Norwood 2018.

Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Shaun Atley is only 29 - is he cooked, or worth a look at? I don't watch Norf games so I don't know lol

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shaun Atley is only 29 - is he cooked, or worth a look at? I don't watch Norf games so I don't know lol

You guys should be all over Dumont. He’s very underrated. As a cheap contract and at worst a depth player, you’d be crazy not to pick him up. Entirely conceivable he could be top 10 in your b&f for the next 3 years.

Atley, I’m not as bullish on for you guys.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm a sucker for a new toy or 2 Constable and Naish are 2 that I would be interested in.
Naish would be the romantic father-son link, returning to the city of his birth. Although, a lot of people wouldn't even register that his old man played for us after Richmond flicked him off in exchange for John Rombotis.

Back