Club Focus Gold Coast 2020 - Atkins, Markov, Hollands

AFL Club Focus

Do they still need the pick 19 priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters
Gold Coast club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Surely the crows wouldn't throw Laird in.

Crouch's + Greenwood would get the deal done one would suspect.

Witts Crouch Crouch
Miller Greenwood Fiorini

Would allow them to move Brodie on if that's going to be the plan
If he stays, even better.

Crows midfield would be fairly thin though
ROB Sloane Gibbs
Milera CEY Atkins
Add Swallow, Miles, Bowes and Ainsworth into that midfield rotation of ours as well and that would be the building blocks of a midfield that can win games. Though this is very pie in the sky stuff at the moment, both Crouch brothers would be the dream, but very unlikely that comes to pass.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Add Swallow, Miles, Bowes and Ainsworth into that midfield rotation of ours as well and that would be the building blocks of a midfield that can win games. Though this is very pie in the sky stuff at the moment, both Crouch brothers would be the dream, but very unlikely that comes to pass.

Flipside is, you get Pick 1 on top of 2, land Rowell and Anderson and ease them into the middle

Witts Brodie Fiorini
Miller Swallow *

*Rotate the likes of Anderson, Rowell, Ainsworth & Bowes.

That's a ripper midfield. Young but has all the potential to be the best in the AFL.
Keep and develop them.

Get a Hodge type mature ager in (i've been mocked, but David Myers is perfect for this) - whether they play AFL or just help the kids with game day prep or NEAFL on the ground coaching, he'd be an excellent pickup. May be a limited player, but the wraps on his leadership have always been strong. And he's free.

I'd be looking at a HB leader as well. Play the role Rance, Davis, Hurley and co play. Organisation and vision down back is critical these days. Turn it over in defence and you're getting scored on.

Not sure who is out there though

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Flipside is, you get Pick 1 on top of 2, land Rowell and Anderson and ease them into the middle

Witts Brodie Fiorini
Miller Swallow *

*Rotate the likes of Anderson, Rowell, Ainsworth & Bowes.

That's a ripper midfield. Young but has all the potential to be the best in the AFL.
Keep and develop them.

Get a Hodge type mature ager in (i've been mocked, but David Myers is perfect for this) - whether they play AFL or just help the kids with game day prep or NEAFL on the ground coaching, he'd be an excellent pickup. May be a limited player, but the wraps on his leadership have always been strong. And he's free.

I'd be looking at a HB leader as well. Play the role Rance, Davis, Hurley and co play. Organisation and vision down back is critical these days. Turn it over in defence and you're getting scored on.

Not sure who is out there though
We already have a player like that in the NEAFL in George Horlin-Smith who was already installed into the leadership group because of his leadership qualities, it just sucks he is probably a little too slow to play in our AFL seniors team (might be different if we had a better team in the 1's, who knows?).

If we bring anyone in, they probably need to be good enough to be holding down a position in our AFL team week in and week out.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we bring anyone in, they probably need to be good enough to be holding down a position in our AFL team week in and week out.
Excellent point. What people keep forgetting about old man Hodge is that he's still best 22 for us. It helps that we play him in defence, in a role where his declining pace isn't an issue. If it was purely about leadership and not ability, he'd be a full-time coach, not a player.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
We already have a player like that in the NEAFL in George Horlin-Smith who was already installed into the leadership group because of his leadership qualities, it just sucks he is probably a little too slow to play in our AFL seniors team (might be different if we had a better team in the 1's, who knows?).

Fair point

Its hard to say if Myers would be best 22 or not
He was playing AFL most of this year but gave his spot up to Parish, who needed it to flourish.
He dropped himself rather than the coaches doing it, so perhaps he's still up there.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Regarding Suns midfield. This year Suns were hoping to put a lot of games into Bowes, Ainsworth, Fiorini, Brodie for the first time in the middle. Unfortunately due to injuries, Fiorini is the only one who plays regularly and he struggled a bit recently as he never played more than 4-5 consecutive games before. On a positive side Bowes and Ainsworth improved significantly in games they played and Brodie just had a break out game proving he belongs. Next year all these players I expect will be regulars in midfield, all 4- 5 years in the system and again I expect improvement from most of them. Another player who established himself this year as a genuine midfield option is Macpherson.

So next year plenty of options, plenty of players playing multiple positions, significant growth from inside. Some of these young players have potential to become A players in 2-3 years (Bowes, Ainsworth, Brodie, Fiorini).

I believe the worst is over for Suns after this year. Yes, 1-2 mature high quality midfielders would be great to add but I am sceptical it can happen right now. Suns need to show more improvement for that to happen. Most important is to fix injuries list and players 4-5 years in the system should start delivering.

Witts, Brodie, Fiorini (wing)
Weller (HB), Swallow (HF), Ainsworth (HF)

Depth inside - Bowes (wing, HB), Macpherson (HF), Miller (HF), Miles, Rowell/Anderson, trade (I hope Blakely)
Depth wing - Powell (HF), Ah Chee (HB, HF), Lukosius (HB, HF), Hanley (HB), trade

Run through - Holman (HF), Lemmens (HF), Martin (HF, gone probably), Rankine (HF), Sexton (HF)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
This is going to sound silly, but I think Gold Coast can be given a pass for this year.

Remember how many people had them not winning a game (I was one of them).

Sure, their form now is utter garbage, but they at least look like they have some kind of structure and future now which I wasnt expecting to see at this point.

Guys like Bowes, McPherson, Collins etc have shown they have a big future.

Funnily enough their mature age recruits in Miles, Ellis etc have proved they probably dont have what it takes.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
This is going to sound silly, but I think Gold Coast can be given a pass for this year.

Remember how many people had them not winning a game (I was one of them).

Sure, their form now is utter garbage, but they at least look like they have some kind of structure and future now which I wasnt expecting to see at this point.

Guys like Bowes, McPherson, Collins etc have shown they have a big future.

Funnily enough their mature age recruits in Miles, Ellis etc have proved they probably dont have what it takes.
Sustaining the early form is going to be the challenge in the near future, but will eventually build if they keep the group playing together.
I like the noise they are making over pick 1 as well. It shows they are doing everything they can to keep getting better.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I really hope the AFL give them a PP (pick 1) that they have to trade in a trade that involves a player.
Think it gives GC a quicker leg up while giving all the other clubs the opportunity to get another high pick.
I think GCS should be allow to keep that priority pick 1, other club are more interested in GCS next year second Rd pick after what happened to Eagles and Brisbane.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What would someone like a Shaun Higgins be able to get North from the Gold coast?

He would be an ideal get with 3/4 years of football + Apotential coaching role after football.

Fits the bill in terms of characters they are trying to attract

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really hope the AFL give them a PP (pick 1) that they have to trade in a trade that involves a player.
Think it gives GC a quicker leg up while giving all the other clubs the opportunity to get another high pick.
Why should they get a pp?. They got rid of lyons for nothing..a guy that is dominating for the 3rd team on the ladder now. Negligence should not get rewarded at the expense of every other team in the comp

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Next year please.
We never get a high pick so we dont want that to now become 4 or 5.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sustaining the early form is going to be the challenge in the near future, but will eventually build if they keep the group playing together.
I like the noise they are making over pick 1 as well. It shows they are doing everything they can to keep getting better.

Yeh definitely. Always the way with young bottom sides though. They come out of the blocks well but fizzle real fast.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I reckon one reason they’ll be granted a priority #1 pick is because the AFL don’t need to feel sorry for the clubs they’re stiffing out of a good pick. Melbourne who have #2 won two finals last year and have spent big on trade ins and the Blues don’t have their first rounder it’s at Adelaide who have a lot of good players and have been competitive for a number of years in a row now.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Dunno why Lyons keeps getting cherry picked as a case study for why they don’t deserve a pick. The guy wasn’t killing it at the Suns, and took half a season to hit top form at the Lions. He’s conditional with his effort, hence being dropped multiple times to the NEAFL during his Gold Coast years for not running defensively.

His departure doesn’t make or break this Gold Coast team, but losing Ablett, Lynch and May - their captains, and best players - DOES.

Until Gold Coast improves the retention of star and future star players, they need signifant assistance.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Dunno why Lyons keeps getting cherry picked as a case study for why they don’t deserve a pick. The guy wasn’t killing it at the Suns, and took half a season to hit top form at the Lions. He’s conditional with his effort, hence being dropped multiple times to the NEAFL during his Gold Coast years for not running defensively.

His departure doesn’t make or break this Gold Coast team, but losing Ablett, Lynch and May - their captains, and best players - DOES.

Until Gold Coast improves the retention of star and future star players, they need signifant assistance.
With this opinion, I'm hoping for another upset this week.

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I hope we don't get a priority pick.. cause I love hearing how everything was so gifted to gc and how it's all our fault, it's such ignorant bs, and frankly, we dont need a pp.

I'm much happier keeping Martin and Ah Chee.

Inside
- Bowes
Swallow
- Brodie
Fiorini
Macpherson
Miller
- Holman

Outside
- Ainsworth
- Martin
- Powel
- Ah Chee
Lemmens
- Rankine

You look at our midfield on, the guys with dashes are out injured (Add our 2 biggest kpd).. And so we're relying on players 23-34 to play best 22 and we're not there yet, but naturally, we weed out the bottom end by say 8-10 at seasons end and as much as they frustrate me get some more Corey Ellis and GHS of the world and mix them with picks 1 and 14. And get another preseason into all our kids, I really dont think the PP is needed at all.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

I said when both expansion teams were given the raft of picks they were that most picks should be traded for mature talent.

These PP are no different. Forces clubs to let go good players for high draft picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope we don't get a priority pick.. cause I love hearing how everything was so gifted to gc and how it's all our fault, it's such ignorant bs, and frankly, we dont need a pp.

I'm much happier keeping Martin and Ah Chee.
This is where the mandated marketing allowance granted to all clubs for payments to players should be increased for the Suns.
Helps with player retention and in some cases the amount paid to players can be conditional on clinics/appearances which helps get the Suns brand out in the community and build the game.

Suns get to retain players with the extra cash for marketing, the code wins with extra presence on the Gold Coast. Win/win.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
For me they should get pick 11 or 19 as a PP plus a big increase in marketing payments for the players for retention purposes.

I imagine Martin is out because I struggle to see them offering the money he will be demanding to stay and they would be hoping someone like AhChee can play his role anyway. You can easily see them having four top 20 picks if they get a PP and trade Martin, take midfielders at all those picks unless someone has clearly slid.
Maybe chase McVeigh for the backline. Rowell or Anderson will play pretty much all season anyway, add that to Miller, Brodie, Ainsworth, Fiorini, Bowes, Swallow and MacPherson in the midfield and they don’t need help in there unless they are a top quality player and I can’t see them getting that. They probably have to just tough it out for one more season in there.
They have the most talented young forward line in the comp but probably lack experience. Sexton and Wright are mature along with Martin If he stays. Rankine I’m picking to be able to hold his own. The two big question marks are on King and JL and if they plan on actually playing them or developing them in the NEAFL. If they are going to play them both it’s hard to actually think how they can add maturity to that area of the ground.
I honestly don’t think they need to do too much with their list, they just need to keep the group together.

Back