Club Focus Gold Coast 2020 - Atkins, Markov, Hollands

AFL Club Focus

Do they still need the pick 19 priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast club focus thread
For me they should get pick 11 or 19 as a PP plus a big increase in marketing payments for the players for retention purposes.

I imagine Martin is out because I struggle to see them offering the money he will be demanding to stay and they would be hoping someone like AhChee can play his role anyway. You can easily see them having four top 20 picks if they get a PP and trade Martin, take midfielders at all those picks unless someone has clearly slid.
Maybe chase McVeigh for the backline. Rowell or Anderson will play pretty much all season anyway, add that to Miller, Brodie, Ainsworth, Fiorini, Bowes, Swallow and MacPherson in the midfield and they don’t need help in there unless they are a top quality player and I can’t see them getting that. They probably have to just tough it out for one more season in there.
They have the most talented young forward line in the comp but probably lack experience. Sexton and Wright are mature along with Martin If he stays. Rankine I’m picking to be able to hold his own. The two big question marks are on King and JL and if they plan on actually playing them or developing them in the NEAFL. If they are going to play them both it’s hard to actually think how they can add maturity to that area of the ground.
I honestly don’t think they need to do too much with their list, they just need to keep the group together.
Suns are putting AFL games into King and JL already this year. JL played all AFL games except one (rested). King started first 7 games in NEAFL, since then all AFL games. You will not see them in too many NEAFL games next year if at all. Both progressed significantly this year. Extra preseason, extra 5 kg will help them too next year. They are unbelievable talents, Rankine as well.

Suns are putting AFL games into King and JL already this year. JL played all AFL games except one (rested). King started first 7 games in NEAFL, since then all AFL games. You will not see them in too many NEAFL games next year if at all. Both progressed significantly this year. Extra preseason, extra 5 kg will help them too next year. They are unbelievable talents, Rankine as well.
That’s what I think they should be doing too and why they can’t really add mature players to the forward line. It’s why I don’t understand why people keep sayingthey need mature players just for the sake of it. Unless they are good players there are hardly any spots for them next year

That’s what I think they should be doing too and why they can’t really add mature players to the forward line. It’s why I don’t understand why people keep sayingthey need mature players just for the sake of it. Unless they are good players there are hardly any spots for them next year
Agree. The fact is Suns missed 11 best 22 against Carlton (7 top 10) and I did not see really difference between teams except confidence. In fact, since middle 3rd Suns pressure, tackling put Blues on back foot. Only quality players to come in would have a chance to play next year.

For me journalists should be asking Suns why they have so many injuries year after year. Are Suns performance/rehab teams still underfunded? At the same time, 80 km up the road at Gabba Lions have basically non-existing injury list. Maybe they could share their secrets, personnel :)

For me journalists should be asking Suns why they have so many injuries year after year. Are Suns performance/rehab teams still underfunded? At the same time, 80 km up the road at Gabba Lions have basically non-existing injury list. Maybe they could share their secrets, personnel :)
Biometrics and pilates.

We have a big focus on injury prevention, not just injury management.

Nor are we running our players in to the ground during preseason or in-season.

As a foundation Suns supporter and AFL tragic it bemuses me when other AFL fans want to remove our team from SE QLD, if you really are about AFL the following stats will remind you why we stay and grow. I get that fans support other teams and rivalry is great but wanting a club to fold when it is part of whats happening for AFL below at the grass roots is just short sighted and I feel ignorant

Here are some stats and facts for us all tou espouse when we get the arguments The Suns should fold or relocate to Tassie, its also why we won't

“Facts don’t lie, the total participation this year in Queensland in AFL is up 5.2% to 265,760 registered participants.”
Cochrane went on to speak about the success of the Queensland Schools system, with 578 teams registered in the AFLQ Schools Cup in 2019, up from 174 in 2015.
Next year the Schools Cup is projected to surpass 600 teams.
“The Schools program and competition participants totalled out this year at 202,609 – that’s the third-highest in Australia behind the up-and-coming states of Victoria and WA,” Cochrane said.
“Female participation this year has peaked at 111,642 which is up nearly 19% of the previous year.
“We even have accredited over 4,000 coaches now in the great state of Queensland and over 3,000 umpires, so we let everybody participate.”
It’s not just in the Gold Coast region either, the game has also grown substantially in the SUNS’ Academy zones in North Queensland.
The total participation rate in schools and clubs in North Queensland has grown to 50,00 players, with roughly 20,000 of those being females.
Participation on the Gold Coast and Northern New South Wales is up to 59,000, with Cochrane pointing out 10 years ago that figure was 20% of what it is now.
“So in both our zones combined, in a non-AFL state as we’re constantly reminded, we have nearly twice the participation rate of the entire state of Tasmania,” The SUNS Chairman said.

Last edited:
Good post there thurls64.

There's a bigger picture in play here for the AFL. It's more than the win/loss record of the Suns that the AFL are judging the success of the team on.

Of course they'd like them to be winning games, that's a no brainer. But they were brought into the comp to take on the NRL and to grow the game in a rugby dominated environment.

People calling for the team to be removed from the competition are short sighted and have no idea of what the AFL are trying to achieve.

Good post there thurls64.

There's a bigger picture in play here for the AFL. It's more than the win/loss record of the Suns that the AFL are judging the success of the team on.

Of course they'd like them to be winning games, that's a no brainer. But they were brought into the comp to take on the NRL and to grow the game in a rugby dominated environment.

People calling for the team to be removed from the competition are short sighted and have no idea of what the AFL are trying to achieve.

Wrong board to call this out but playing numbers are dropping in Victoria (outside of the city )and more teams and leagues dieing in the bush thanks to the hand outs holding up the suns .. comes a point the public can question the suns surely? They were outside the cap last year! And made under a million in profit which is might years away from the next worst

sponsorship money is poor in Queensland and the afl is bleeding money

Last edited:
Wrong board to call this out but playing numbers are dropping in Victoria and more teams and leagues dieing in the bush thanks to the hand outs holding up the suns .. comes a point the public can question the suns surely? They were outside the cap last year!

Don't see that with Richmond and Collingwood Games attendances. If AFL is called VFL then concern about dropping number.

Wrong board to call this out but playing numbers are dropping in Victoria and more teams and leagues dieing in the bush thanks to the hand outs holding up the suns .. comes a point the public can question the suns surely? They were outside the cap last year!

That’s bullshit. There is more money in county footy than there has ever been. Country clubs are dying because of population decline and people not willing to play unless they get paid. That has nothing to do with the AFL.

That’s bulls**t. There is more money in county footy than there has ever been. Country clubs are dying because of population decline and people not willing to play unless they get paid. That has nothing to do with the AFL.

Haha!!! Wrong! Deadset clubs are not getting a cent from the afl that's a fact. Slice of the pie is getting wasted on the suns.. players not playing afl is not the afls problem 🤷‍♂️ ? Yet promote it when talking up the suns

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha!!! Wrong! Deadset clubs are not getting a cent from the afl that's a fact. Slice of the pie is getting wasted on the suns.. players not playing afl is not the afls problem 🤷‍♂️ ? Yet promote it when talking up the suns
Clubs here can’t fill reserves sides but can pay senior sides $120k plus. Money is not the issue.

playing numbers are dropping in Victoria (outside of the city )and more teams and leagues dieing in the bush thanks to the hand outs holding up the suns ..
I'd ask you to prove this is the cause, but I can guarantee you're wrong, because of how allergic to actual facts you are. For example...

And made under a million in profit which is might years away from the next worst
No they didn't and no it isn't.
  • Gold Coast - $1,160,912
  • Carlton - $713,689
  • Sydney - $520,509
  • Fremantle - $326,776
  • Collingwood - $112,052
  • Brisbane - ($230,641)
  • GWS - ($1,985,681)
And you're somehow trying to spin a profit as a bad thing? I'm flabbergasted. Plus...

The AFL makes $50 million in profit per year after all payments. Please take at least a minute to acquaint yourself with the facts before typing out a post.

Wrong board to call this out but playing numbers are dropping in Victoria (outside of the city )and more teams and leagues dieing in the bush thanks to the hand outs holding up the suns .. comes a point the public can question the suns surely? They were outside the cap last year! And made under a million in profit which is might years away from the next worst

One extra game every week due to GWS/Suns existence means extra 55-60M for AFL according to the broadcast deal so nobody is losing money.

As far as Suns bleeding money, I suggest you to check out clubs annual reports. Yes, in 2018 AFL distributed 25M to Suns but at the same time it allocated 21M to the club you support, St Kilda, that was around like forever! 21M was also distributed to GWS and Brisbane. If you go further back, St Kilda received essentially the same distributions from AFL as Suns, only 1-2M less!

At the same time check out sponsorship numbers. In most years, Suns are equal or even better than St. Kilda!

I don't know, but just maybe St. Kilda or North Melbourne should relocate to Tasmania as national competition with 9 clubs in Melbourne for sure does not make sense especially when several clubs in Melbourne need to be prop up by AFL.

Footy is growing and doing well in QLD at grass root level. Because AFL totally mess up Suns set up does not mean there is no growing market for extra team in QLD. Suns are back on the right track since Evans join them 2 years ago. Give it a couple of years and you will have 2 strong QLD teams.

Last edited:
One extra game every week due to GWS/Suns existance means extra 55-60M for AFL according to the broadcast deal so nobody is losing money.

As far as Suns bleeding money, I suggest you to check out clubs annual reports. Yes, in 2018 AFL distributed 25M to Suns but at the same time it allocated 21M to the club you support, St Kilda, that was around like forever! 21M was also distributed to GWS and Brisbane. If you go further back, St Kilda received essentially the same distributions from AFL as Suns, only 1-2M less!

At the same time check out sponsorship numbers. In most years, Suns are equal or even better than St. Kilda!

I don't know, but just maybe St. Kilda or North Melbourne should relocate to Tasmania as national competition with 9 clubs in Melbourne for sure does not make sense especially when several clubs in Melbourne need to be prop up by AFL.

Footy is growing and doing well in QLD at grass root level. Because AFL totally mess up Suns set up does not mean there is no growing market for extra team in QLD. Suns are back on the right track since Evans join them 2 years ago. Give it a couple of years and you will have 2 strong QLD teams.

Don't support st kilda 🤷‍♂️ but they redeveloped a new training centre and moved training headquarters..

Never said the suns should move either

Don't support st kilda 🤷‍♂️ but they redeveloped a new training centre and moved training headquarters..

Never said the suns should move either
I see St Kilda as your AFL club.

St. Kilda is bad financially like forever. Bleeding money argument is quite tiring from Melbourne media and some supporters. AFL distributions to Melbourne clubs (North, St Kilda, WB) are shocking. What were they doing all those years? Are they sustainable? At least, Suns can claim they were totally ****** up by AFL. Who in reasonable mind would start a new team in NRL territory in metal sheds for 7 years, first time coach, CEO, while underfunded in every aspect, with a terrible stadium deal and half concessions compared to GWS.

Last edited:
Speed and clean ball users through the midfield are our biggest need by far. We have plenty of guys who can win the contested ball in Miller, Brodie, Miles, Bowes, Swallow etc but don’t have the pace or footskills to turn that into clean entry’s inside 50
Looks like the Suns might want to select Jeremy Sharp or Trent Bianco with Brisbane's pick. Both of them have the qualities you're looking for. Sharp has the bigger body, Bianco has a connection with Anderson and Rowell from NAB League.

Dunno why Lyons keeps getting cherry picked as a case study for why they don’t deserve a pick. The guy wasn’t killing it at the Suns, and took half a season to hit top form at the Lions. He’s conditional with his effort, hence being dropped multiple times to the NEAFL during his Gold Coast years for not running defensively.

His departure doesn’t make or break this Gold Coast team, but losing Ablett, Lynch and May - their captains, and best players - DOES.

Until Gold Coast improves the retention of star and future star players, they need signifant assistance.

I agree with that but what does giving pick 1 to a club with a terrible retention record help with? The player will just leave in 2 years. They need more off field assistance to build their club so a) it becomes a place young players want to stay and b) they can attract better quality mature players in trades.

I agree with that but what does giving pick 1 to a club with a terrible retention record help with? The player will just leave in 2 years. They need more off field assistance to build their club so a) it becomes a place young players want to stay and b) they can attract better quality mature players in trades.

1. Immediate production. Look at Walsh, and even Smith for two clear cut examples of this. They might be young players, but they are already performing to a good standard and with a stack of improvement to come.

2. In this case two players who are best mates have more incentive to stay. Brisbane have shown that drafting players who are close increases the likelihood of those players staying at the club, at the absolute least beyond their initial contract.

3. Creating a hotbed of talent, to snowball into something big. Look at GWS, and the residual impact of loading up on young talented players. After a few tumultuous years all of a sudden a stack of young guns have 50-100 games under their belt, and start building up the ladder, and if they’re really good, this happens quickly. Some players will leave, but most will want to stick around and see what happens. That excitement is infectious, and as a Gold Coast player, who wouldn’t want to see how far the squad could go with Luko, Rankine, King, Ainsworth, Bowes, Rowell and Anderson? That’s arguably as good a group as the early GWS young guns.

Agreed they need more help off-field, but they’d at least have a strong talent base to springboard off.

Back