Club Focus Gold Coast 2020 - Atkins, Markov, Hollands

AFL Club Focus

Do they still need the pick 19 priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

If they all stick around I actually have optimism for the future with a much more professional set up that we had when we started in 2011.

Will be the biggest challenge.

Totally agree, if we can manage it, we will have the makings of a good team.

Absolutely. I still feel that, instead of a couple of the draft concessions, the Suns should have been granted an increase in their footy department spending to make the club a more attractive proposition for potential recruits/draftees. Hire some more development coaches.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Absolutely. I still feel that, instead of a couple of the draft concessions, the Suns should have been granted an increase in their footy department spending to make the club a more attractive proposition for potential recruits/draftees. Hire some more development coaches.
Yeah I would have preferred that as well, and from all accounts in our submission we put that to the AFL, however, they seem to want to keep the salary cap and spending caps uniform, to keep the 'integrity' of the competition. Instead they are happy to compromise the draft for 3 years, don't get their thinking.

scratchy09

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
If I was the Gold Coast list manager, I wouldn't trade these picks for anything. The deal would need to be so overs to even consider parting with picks 1 or 2 as by getting rid of one of the two, you open the door for the other of Rowell or Anderson to leave down the line. These two picks aren't for sale. Non negotiable.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Can't complain, clearly we identified Sharp as a target that filled a massive need of ours and rated him as high as 11 next year, hell, Dew flew all the way to WA to present him with his jumper when he got picked. Would rather have him now, than 11 next year in a heavily compromised draft which may push out 11 to 15+, in what some say is a weaker draft than this year (I don't know but people seem to be commenting on it). We also get a year of development into Sharp as well. Looks odd and we definitely paid overs to get our man, but we got him in.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't complain, clearly we identified Sharp as a target that filled a massive need of ours and rated him as high as 11 next year, hell, Dew flew all the way to WA to present him with his jumper when he got picked. Would rather have him now, than 11 next year in a heavily compromised draft which may push out 11 to 15+, in what some say is a weaker draft than this year (I don't know but people seem to be commenting on it). We also get a year of development into Sharp as well. Looks odd and we definitely paid overs to get our man, but we got him in.

Our future 2nd and 3rd would’ve been a reasonable trade for 27.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Our future 2nd and 3rd would’ve been a reasonable trade for 27.
I don't think they would have done that to be honest. A lot of trades this year seemed to HEAVILY value the current draft over next years. Who knows I suppose, I'll back in our recruiters, won't know for a few years if it was worth it or not.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think they would have done that to be honest. A lot of trades this year seemed to HEAVILY value the current draft over next years. Who knows I suppose, I'll back in our recruiters, won't know for a few years if it was worth it or not.
Seriously. Pick 11 for 27. Just god awful trading. Awful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Seriously. Pick 11 for 27. Just god awful trading. Awful.
I think it is questionable to compare one pick from the 2019 draft to a pick in the 2020 draft, all things are not equal and there are many variables across years.

I'll just leave this here as well. It may not appease you but gives some insight.

"We really rated Jeremy (Sharp). Going into last night (Wednesday) we would have selected him at 15, but we did that trade to come down and select Sam Flanders. Jeremy got through the first round and we did a bit of work on where he might end up. (He) rounded out the midfield mix. He's an elite outside runner, he's got a booming kick."

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree, but the same was said for the stocker deal.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app
Except we also got a future first which turned out to be a 6 pick downgrade. You didn't. You just gave up pick 11....do you know how insane that is? You could have traded Martin for a future 2nd and 3rd. Bundled them up with another 3rd for sharp and kept pick 11 for the elite end of the draft. Your club is atrocious. It's so funny watching big boi Cochrane flap his mouth. I want that turd to front up in 10 minutes when Martin is a free Carlton player.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I think it is questionable to compare one pick from the 2019 draft to a pick in the 2020 draft, all things are not equal and there are many variables across years.

I'll just leave this here as well. It may not appease you but gives some insight.

"We really rated Jeremy (Sharp). Going into last night (Wednesday) we would have selected him at 15, but we did that trade to come down and select Sam Flanders. Jeremy got through the first round and we did a bit of work on where he might end up. (He) rounded out the midfield mix. He's an elite outside runner, he's got a booming kick."
Every club says that...even mine. You used a future pick 11 for a pick 27. It has nothing to do with that player. You could have got that pick 27 from Geelong without selling one of your precious afl handouts. So funny. Your club is a living meme

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Every club says that...even mine. You used a future pick 11 for a pick 27. It has nothing to do with that player. You could have got that pick 27 from Geelong without selling one of your precious afl handouts. So funny. Your club is a living meme
How do you know Geelong would have done that trade though?

Anyway, your clearly just frothing at the mouth to lay into GC at any point so there is no point going on, enjoy Martin.

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Except we also got a future first which turned out to be a 6 pick downgrade. You didn't. You just gave up pick 11....do you know how insane that is? You could have traded Martin for a future 2nd and 3rd. Bundled them up with another 3rd for sharp and kept pick 11 for the elite end of the draft. Your club is atrocious. It's so funny watching big boi Cochrane flap his mouth. I want that turd to front up in 10 minutes when Martin is a free Carlton player.
Martin is a Carlton player, for sure, but only one club has five wooden spoons over the most recent twenty-year period. Let's see if the Suns can manage to meet that standard set by your amazing club!

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Such a good deflection. Amazing.
No, do you know what a deflection is?

I acknowledged Martin is a Carlton player, and responded to your claim the Suns are atrocious by pointing out only one club has five spoons over the last twenty seasons. Brush up if you'd like to be more valuable to conversation going forward.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
No, do you know what a deflection is?

I acknowledged Martin is a Carlton player, and responded to your claim the Suns are atrocious by pointing out only one club has five spoons over the last twenty seasons. Brush up if you'd like to be more valuable to conversation going forward.
What does Carlton's history have anything to do with the Martin situation or Gold Coast drafting and trading at the conclusion of the 2019 season? It doesn't. You brought it up to deflect the conversation away from your clubs inadequacies. This isn't a "History of the Carlton Football Club over the past 20 years". No. It's a Gold Coast off season thread

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What does Carlton's history have anything to do with the Martin situation or Gold Coast drafting and trading at the conclusion of the 2019 season?... You brought it up to deflect the conversation away from your clubs inadequacies.
It establishes a good standard for 'atrocious', which you claimed.

No thanks necessary, I'm happy to help — you'll be better for it in the future and your input to any discussion will be much more valuable in the future.

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
The last 2 drafts have been exceptional for Gold Coast. All of last years crew have already signed on and the top 2 picks this year look very committed. Only question mark is on Flanders but hopefully he will settle in ok. There is going to be a lot of competition for spots in the best 22. Miles shouldn't be getting a game by the end of 2020. Next year is probably a year too early but hey they said that about Brisbane.

Back