Club Focus Gold Coast 2020 - Atkins, Markov, Hollands

AFL Club Focus

Do they still need the pick 19 priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters
Gold Coast club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Gold Coast total and continued incomptence:

Gold Coast had the 2 top picks, and then pick 15 and 20 AND a pick 11 next year (thanks to AFL assistance package)...
There is no way they could have come out of draft as anything but the big winners, it was scripted that way by the AFL.

The first part went as scripted, they picked up the best 2 kids in the land with their first 2 picks, it was a fait accompli, a path that was pre chosen for them by the AFL.

As soon as they had some input on their own decision making during the draft, their rue colours started shining through.

They still had picks 15 and 20 plus next years pick 11 to secure what players they wanted next.

By having some input over their next draft decisions they got the ball rolling to trade pick 15 and 20 to carlton to move up the order and secure Flanders with Carltons original pick 9, a decision that on its own could have been seen as a small risk for a player they thought was worth it.

But true to Gold Coast form, that decision only signalled that once Gold Coast didn’t have the AFL scripting their trades/drafts for them, that as soon as they had their own decision making possible, that they would find ways of weakening the very very very strong hand that the AFL created for them during drafts.

And the way they found to do this was by trading away next years assistance pick 11 to Geelong for this years pick 27, that’s right folks, they traded a mid first round pick next year for a second round pick this year, and just to add to their stunning incompetence, as if trading away a first rounder for a second rounder wasn’t enough, they also threw in a little extra steak knife to sweeten the already completely one sided deal in favour of Geelong.

All this after the Gold Coast refused to accept Carltons offer of a second and third round pick for Martin during trade period, claiming that they had no need for pesky 2nd and 3rd round picks because of the abundance of first round picks the AFL assisted them with.

Thus not only losing Martin for absolutely nothing when he opted for the PSD as he clearly had threatened to do during that time, but also missing out on the ‘pesky’ future 2nd and 3rd picks that they earlier scoffed at before finding themselves wanting a second round pick this year so badly that they gave away a pick 11 next year to secure it at the last second.

This my friends, if orchestrated by any other club or list manager in the league would result in fans of the club and lovers of AFL in general to scream for the heads of those in charge of the club, YET at Gold Coast the supporters (the handful of them that exist) happily chug along accepting the total incompetence displayed by the club this year and in previous years, and general AFL fans sit back and laugh while accepting that the AFL continues to burn cash and picks on this woefully mismanaged club year after year for no reward.

Hahaha, just too funny :)

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
We overpaid for sure, will need to wait and see how much next year when we find how compromised the top 10 of next years draft pick and how far 11 gets pushed back. Also need to see how Sharp looks next year.

Other factors like that pick being potentially taken away from us if we start looking alright next year, not needing to bid on academy players, how strong is last years draft vs this years all needs to be taken into consideration, which is what the list and scouts would have done. I will wait until this time next year before I violently react if the club has made another awful call.

Though Weller and Ballard vs Brayshaw is looking ok at the moment :p

Also, SOME Carlton fans seem to really have a chip on their shoulder at the moment.

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I just want you to know that you are loved and special.

We will be fine, Sharp compliments Rowell, Anderson and Flanders, he fills a need and when you've just had 3 x top 11 picks, what's one more right? Lel. We took a dual AA on a specific needs basis and easily the best haul of any clubs.

Scott Clayton's way was to trade for future picks, 'spread the age' he use to call it.. it seems now we've said enough of that, let's get the players we want now, get them training together, playing together, pump games into them and build team chemistry, you can't do that holding onto picks, which is why I believe sos did the stocker trade last year, well that's what Judd said on footy classified anyway. So is worth downgrading 16 picks to get the player we obviously rate much higher then 27 to start that process 12 months earlier considering we have brought in 1st rounders such as bowes, ainsworth, brodie, weller, powell, king, lukosius, rankine in the past 3 years? I dont know, honestly I dont know, I think it's line ball, but i don't think it's as insane as you may think.

Anyway god bless your cotton socks, have a fantastic day child
Except we also got a future first which turned out to be a 6 pick downgrade. You didn't. You just gave up pick 11....do you know how insane that is? You could have traded Martin for a future 2nd and 3rd. Bundled them up with another 3rd for sharp and kept pick 11 for the elite end of the draft. Your club is atrocious. It's so funny watching big boi Cochrane flap his mouth. I want that turd to front up in 10 minutes when Martin is a free Carlton player.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
We overpaid for sure, will need to wait and see how much next year when we find how compromised the top 10 of next years draft pick and how far 11 gets pushed back. Also need to see how Sharp looks next year.

Other factors like that pick being potentially taken away from us if we start looking alright next year, not needing to bid on academy players, how strong is last years draft vs this years all needs to be taken into consideration, which is what the list and scouts would have done. I will wait until this time next year before I violently react if the club has made another awful call.

Though Weller and Ballard vs Brayshaw is looking ok at the moment :p

Also, SOME Carlton fans seem to really have a chip on their shoulder at the moment.

I don’t mind the idea of over paying for a player if a club thinks that player fills a need for them, need to take some sort of risk for some sort of reward.

But to go ahead and trade out next years assistance pick 11 for a second round pick this year AFTER refusing future 2nd and 3rd picks for Martin because ‘you have no use for any picks of they aren’t first rounders’ is preposterous.

A rich man doesn’t completely reject an offer for his property and end up losing it for nothing just to take a stand, and he then most definitely doesn’t go and overpay for another property when he finds himself needing one.... he wouldn’t be rich in the first place if he practiced business like that.

No chip on this carlton supporters shoulder, my club was a beneficiary of your clubs incompetence, insisting that we take martin for absolutely nothing when we were foolish enough to want to pay fair price for him lol.

send my thanks to chochrane will you :)

Jimbojay

Debutant
Feb 11, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Suns have done very well in the draft with the guys they've picked up and I wish them all the best in creating the environment in which all the draftees stay (which does seem to be the case with all the re-signings)

However I will never understand the logic of suggesting nothing is better than a bonus 2nd and 3rd round pick, especially now considering the trade that happened with Geelong last night.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Gold Coast are absolutely taking the piss out of the hierarchy now

Seriously

Getting nothing for Lyons and Martin, not even bothering getting future picks they can stockpile for them so they can walk away with something rather than nothing, then trading away a future first for a mid second rounder, a pick they absolutely could've HAD if they actually tried to get something for the players who wanted out, instead of taking the high road there.

Just rewarding sheer incompetence, scrap their compo right now

Hopefully Geelong recruits a star next year with that pick

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I don’t mind the idea of over paying for a player if a club thinks that player fills a need for them, need to take some sort of risk for some sort of reward.

But to go ahead and trade out next years assistance pick 11 for a second round pick this year AFTER refusing future 2nd and 3rd picks for Martin because ‘you have no use for any picks of they aren’t first rounders’ is preposterous.

A rich man doesn’t completely reject an offer for his property and end up losing it for nothing just to take a stand, and he then most definitely doesn’t go and overpay for another property when he finds himself needing one.... he wouldn’t be rich in the first place if he practiced business like that.

No chip on this carlton supporters shoulder, my club was a beneficiary of your clubs incompetence, insisting that we take martin for absolutely nothing when we were foolish enough to want to pay fair price for him lol.

send my thanks to chochrane will you :)
The only thing I'll add is, the assumption that those future 2nd and 3rd picks could of been used to get pick 27 is a guess. Would have Geelong accepted those for 27?

The whole strategy behind the Martin stance is one for the future, whether people agree with it or not. That in the future, if people want to trade for our players they have to come close to our evaluation of the player. With the idea that in the years to come other teams will have to pay a bit extra to get the deal done, so the club is treating the lost 2nd and 3rd round pick as a price to pay for this (again I am not 100% behind this thinking, but I understand it). It worked for you guys cause you were 16th and only had to get past 2 other teams. If Carlton had finished 8th (as an example) Martin may not have made it all the way there through the pre-season draft to Carlton.

But we will wait and see if we have anyone of note is traded next year and see if there is any change in the sort of deals offered.

Honestly think the club is very happy with where the list sits heading into 2020 considering 2019 was basically our year 1 again.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Gold Coast total and continued incomptence:

Gold Coast had the 2 top picks, and then pick 15 and 20 AND a pick 11 next year (thanks to AFL assistance package)...
There is no way they could have come out of draft as anything but the big winners, it was scripted that way by the AFL.

The first part went as scripted, they picked up the best 2 kids in the land with their first 2 picks, it was a fait accompli, a path that was pre chosen for them by the AFL.

As soon as they had some input on their own decision making during the draft, their rue colours started shining through.

They still had picks 15 and 20 plus next years pick 11 to secure what players they wanted next.

By having some input over their next draft decisions they got the ball rolling to trade pick 15 and 20 to carlton to move up the order and secure Flanders with Carltons original pick 9, a decision that on its own could have been seen as a small risk for a player they thought was worth it.

But true to Gold Coast form, that decision only signalled that once Gold Coast didn’t have the AFL scripting their trades/drafts for them, that as soon as they had their own decision making possible, that they would find ways of weakening the very very very strong hand that the AFL created for them during drafts.

And the way they found to do this was by trading away next years assistance pick 11 to Geelong for this years pick 27, that’s right folks, they traded a mid first round pick next year for a second round pick this year, and just to add to their stunning incompetence, as if trading away a first rounder for a second rounder wasn’t enough, they also threw in a little extra steak knife to sweeten the already completely one sided deal in favour of Geelong.

All this after the Gold Coast refused to accept Carltons offer of a second and third round pick for Martin during trade period, claiming that they had no need for pesky 2nd and 3rd round picks because of the abundance of first round picks the AFL assisted them with.

Thus not only losing Martin for absolutely nothing when he opted for the PSD as he clearly had threatened to do during that time, but also missing out on the ‘pesky’ future 2nd and 3rd picks that they earlier scoffed at before finding themselves wanting a second round pick this year so badly that they gave away a pick 11 next year to secure it at the last second.

This my friends, if orchestrated by any other club or list manager in the league would result in fans of the club and lovers of AFL in general to scream for the heads of those in charge of the club, YET at Gold Coast the supporters (the handful of them that exist) happily chug along accepting the total incompetence displayed by the club this year and in previous years, and general AFL fans sit back and laugh while accepting that the AFL continues to burn cash and picks on this woefully mismanaged club year after year for no reward.

Hahaha, just too funny :)

Jesus mate.
Imagine caring this much about a team nobody apparently cares about.
Could’ve probably been summed up with ‘lol Gold Coast’ and saved yourself a couple of hours.

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And if we took that trade you and all your mates would be saying how we bent over again like the weller trade
yeah great strategy I must say, say no to future 2nd and 3rd picks for Martin, let him come to us for absolutely free, and then go and give Geelong a future pick 11 for a second pick this year.

WOW, that’s just awesome trading, congrats on using unprecedented AFL assistance given to you by splashing it all across the board like a spoiled tidy find baby splashed his parents hard earned money.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can’t believe everyone is shitting on Gold Coast
When they got there priority pics 2020 pics are not locked in the afl said it will constantly asses so if suns finish above a few teams I suspect the afl will stop future assistance
Gc know this that’s why they used it because if things improve next year they lose it

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
When they got there priority pics 2020 pics are not locked in the afl said it will constantly asses so if suns finish above a few teams I suspect the afl will stop future assistance
Gc know this that’s why they used it because if things improve next year they lose it
Exactly, Fremantle done pretty well in this year draft.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Far out it took a while for someone to mention this.

This reason and rating Sharp highly is why we traded it as it is not guaranteed that they'll allow us to keep it. I'm thrilled that Carlton fans are so concerned for our plight but I'd save your energy fellas as no Suns fans are reading your long ass rants.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

DrAshy

Debutant
Jun 27, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Carltons future 2nd and 3rd would have been handy, but they wouldn’t have got us pick 27 from the cats. Neither would bundling it with any other combination of picks we had left.

My guess is that they originally offered 2020 pick 11 with 17 OR 22 for carltons pick and it was knocked back. They also would have offered it to everyone on draft night 2 from picks 22-26 with Geelong the only bite and even a little sweetener to get it across the line. This shows how little the other clubs valued pick 11 in next years draft. So while I agree we overpaid, it’s not as bad as it looks on paper.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Think they overpaid massively for sharp but the idea is good, get talented players in bunches and use them to build the team together, owning the culture, rather than 1 or 2 each year.
No doubt under normal circumstances, it is overpaid. In Suns situation, no brainer decision. Sharp fits into Suns needs and they have him now. Originally, Suns would take him with pick 15 so gifted pick 11 next year which could be taken away and will be 14-15 next year is pretty easy decision. Obviously, Suns talked to other teams. The idea that Suns could get pick 27 for future 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks is a fantasy. Suns actually have these picks. It does not take rocket science for Cats demand pick 11. Next year Suns have their own pick 1-6 and if pre-sign assistance is still there they get academy players Davies and Jeffrey for free (both projected 1st round ).

Now if Carlton fans could stop bitching about Suns. It should be the other way but I don't see many Suns fans to be unhappy to let Martin go. You got Martin for free. Time to get excited and look forward for round 1. Martin did look happy and nervous in his presser.

I would be curious to know why SOS did not rate Flanders. He looks a future gun and was projected to go pick 3-6. I think he would fit at Carlton too. Yes, Kemp has a great potential too but ACL makes him a high risk/high reward prospect.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Already got some handy players/leaders at the club in Witts, Swallow, Harbow, Collins, Weller, Ainsworth, Bowes, Sexton, Macpherson, Ballard.

They now have arguably the most talented assortment of young talent in the league adding Rowell, Anderson, Flanders and Sharp to Lukosius, Rankine and King. They'll likely add another top three draftee next year plus academy gun Alex Davies. From 2021 onwards I expect them to be one of the most exciting, young rising teams in the league.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Already got some handy players/leaders at the club in Witts, Swallow, Harbow, Collins, Weller, Ainsworth, Bowes, Sexton, Macpherson, Ballard.

They now have arguably the most talented assortment of young talent in the league adding Rowell, Anderson, Flanders and Sharp to Lukosius, Rankine and King. They'll likely add another top three draftee next year plus academy gun Alex Davies. From 2021 onwards I expect them to be one of the most exciting, young rising teams in the league.

Queensland GF coming next decade!

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Gold Coast are absolutely taking the piss out of the hierarchy now

Seriously

Getting nothing for Lyons and Martin, not even bothering getting future picks they can stockpile for them so they can walk away with something rather than nothing, then trading away a future first for a mid second rounder, a pick they absolutely could've HAD if they actually tried to get something for the players who wanted out, instead of taking the high road there.

Just rewarding sheer incompetence, scrap their compo right now

Hopefully Geelong recruits a star next year with that pick

Who needs 2020 picks when there's no bidding process for them anymore and they just can just list Alex Davies (a projected early first rounder in 2020) as a rookie?

They may as well just light it on fire, like they did.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Who needs 2020 picks when there's no bidding process for them anymore and they just can just list Alex Davies (a projected early first rounder in 2020) as a rookie?

They may as well just light it on fire, like they did.
Wouldn't be surprised for the AFL to scrap the whole not matching bids on Academy prospects thing next year. Getting Davies for free will put a whole bunch of noses out of joint.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Carltons future 2nd and 3rd would have been handy, but they wouldn’t have got us pick 27 from the cats. Neither would bundling it with any other combination of picks we had left.

My guess is that they originally offered 2020 pick 11 with 17 OR 22 for carltons pick and it was knocked back. They also would have offered it to everyone on draft night 2 from picks 22-26 with Geelong the only bite and even a little sweetener to get it across the line. This shows how little the other clubs valued pick 11 in next years draft. So while I agree we overpaid, it’s not as bad as it looks on paper.
That’s exactly what happened. Geelong were the first team to accept it after all the clubs before them rejected it.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Needs to stop being assessed for pick 27 for pick 11 it’s Jeremy Sharp for 2020 11 and if I’m honest I do the trade for sharp everyday of the week.

Gold Coast need players now and Sharp fits a need perfectly
Mick Ablett on the draft telecast said the Suns got an absolute steal in Sharp. I think he’d know a bit more about the kid’s talent than a bunch of nuffies on BigFooty.

Back