Club Focus Gold Coast 2020 - Atkins, Markov, Hollands

AFL Club Focus

Do they still need the pick 19 priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
He was contracted, so you paid him out and that money still goes against your cap.
He wasn’t paid out.

Lyons was told he’d spend most of his last year in the NEAFL.

Brisbane approached Lyons, and offered him a 3 year deal, on less per year, but more over all.

Lyons then approached the GC hierarchy and asked to be let out of his contract.

GC wanted to reduce their wage bill, so let him walk, without having to pay him out.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Assuming they get Pick 1 (which they should)

1, 2 & ~14 - target the best kids. Anderson + Rowell sets them up nicely (whether they stay or not)

If Brodie and Martin go, i'd be looking for experience to come back in.
Or start targeting some mature leaders.
And get some good returns on them

Cam Ellis Yeoman plus Myers, Dea, Brown & Hartley from Essendon.
All freebies. All solid professionals with years of AFL experience.

In Myers you get a leader (whether he's playing or not).

Nicholls & Day would be two i'd like at Essendon to add to our tall depth.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Here come all the opposition fans offering up their has beens and never will be’s, oh we’ll take such and such off your hands to improve our list btw.
The Hodge experiment (though not a has-been, he was retired) has shown there is value in experience on the playing ground.
If they take up little salary space, and can be picked up outside trades, GCS should certainly have a look.
If only to get some depth that can be called on with the relevant experience.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Hodge experiment (though not a has-been, he was retired) has shown there is value in experience on the playing ground.
If they take up little salary space, and can be picked up outside trades, GCS should certainly have a look.
If only to get some depth that can be called on with the relevant experience.
So who is the Hodge clone out of the lot you mentioned?

There’s experience, and then there’s an actual coach on the field.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
So who is the Hodge clone out of the lot you mentioned?

There’s experience, and then there’s an actual coach on the field.

Joel Selwood from Geelong..AFl should offer 1.5 million per year for 3 years to him to relocate. He would be a perfect onfield leader for the younger guys. Give Geelong an end of 1st round compo pick for him

Dede

Senior List
May 10, 2019
Sandy
AFL Club
St Kilda
🤦‍♂️ people suggesting matt dea and Matt Brown lol dew has showed he only plays players who suit his play style Corey Ellis and will Brodie,Lyons all didn't suit that so no plodder is gonna help.

Why should the afl help when they don't play there best 22 🤷‍♂️ .. Ellis is way better player then herron.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Joel Selwood from Geelong..AFl should offer 1.5 million per year for 3 years to him to relocate. He would be a perfect onfield leader for the younger guys. Give Geelong an end of 1st round compo pick for him
This despite Geelong currently contending for premierships? Not sure even that money will tempt him. I'd see if Sydney's veterans (Kennedy, McVeigh, Jack, Rampe) are willing to move up, seeing as their premiership window has probably passed.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
there's a selwood out of contract this year, but it ain't Joel.

Not sure the Cats are giving Joel up for free.
Unless he retires, then unretires a la Hodge.

But yeah. Stay the course. that might work....
pfft don’t try and change the narrative. You mentioned a bunch of players that in no way come close to what the Suns need.

Nor is anyone suggesting that GC get these players for free.

Your original post was a straight out dump on GC, while suggesting you’ll take a couple of their better players back.

That’s not going to help the Suns.

But flogs gonna flog all day long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
🤦‍♂️ people suggesting matt dea and Matt Brown lol dew has showed he only plays players who suit his play style Corey Ellis and will Brodie,Lyons all didn't suit that so no plodder is gonna help.

Why should the afl help when they don't play there best 22 🤷‍♂️ .. Ellis is way better player then herron.
Ellis is under contract and Herron can said goodbye after this season. Much easier to say goodbye when your don't perform. Eg Alan Richardson, Bolton, Scott.

Here come all the opposition fans offering up their has beens and never will be’s, oh we’ll take such and such off your hands to improve our list btw.
Joel McDonald to GWS, Daniel Cross to Demons, Hodge to Brisbane.

I think there is a precedent for taking one noted leader/ultra-professional type. Not a bunch of them, just one.
As you note not a fringe player but someone who has genuinely been a leader in either an official capacity or on the track. That probably rules out Roughy as I think you're ok for talls who can play forward of the ball (especially if Sam Day re-signs as that means Luko can play as the third).

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
pfft don’t try and change the narrative. You mentioned a bunch of players that in no way come close to what the Suns need.

Nor is anyone suggesting that GC get these players for free

Your original post was a straight out dump on GC, while suggesting you’ll take a couple of their better players back.

That’s not going to help the Suns.

But flogs gonna flog all day long.
Change the narrative?
I literally said freebies in my post.

Nor did I link martin or Brodie to Essendon.
Day and Nicholls yes, but nothing to do with looking at experience from other clubs

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Shaun Burgoyne linked with a possible move to the Suns. He would be a terrific get as a leader who can guide/mentor the younger player and help build a strong culture. Has a preexisting relationship with Dew having won the 2004 flag together at Port. I think this one will happen.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Shaun Burgoyne linked with a possible move to the Suns. He would be a terrific get as a leader who can guide/mentor the younger player and help build a strong culture. Has a preexisting relationship with Dew having won the 2004 flag together at Port. I think this one will happen.
I think it will largely depend on if we are happy to offer him another year, he has been good since returning from injury and i would be somewhat surprised if he wasn't offered another year at the Hawks.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it will largely depend on if we are happy to offer him another year, he has been good since returning from injury and i would be somewhat surprised if he wasn't offered another year at the Hawks.
May get another year at the Hawks, however, the Suns will offer multiple years/a coaching role and better money. Not sure if he'd be open to the move but I think it could appeal to him. Leaving his mark on a cellar dweller before retirement. If they turn things around it is just anther thing to add to his legacy like Hodge has at Brisbane.

Chocoholic

Senior List
Nov 24, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This despite Geelong currently contending for premierships? Not sure even that money will tempt him. I'd see if Sydney's veterans (Kennedy, McVeigh, Jack, Rampe) are willing to move up, seeing as their premiership window has probably passed.

I doubt he want to leave, but Constable is a ready made replacement should he choose to on a whim

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
May get another year at the Hawks, however, the Suns will offer multiple years/a coaching role and better money. Not sure if he'd be open to the move but I think it could appeal to him. Leaving his mark on a cellar dweller before retirement. If they turn things around it is just anther thing to add to his legacy like Hodge has at Brisbane.
Possibly but i think the Lions were in a much more advanced position list wise when Hodge went and Burgoyne could add to his legacy in a similar way by ushering along the younger players at the Hawks and making sure the list is in a strong position when he leaves. Totally understand why the Suns are chasing him though.

Possibly but i think the Lions were in a much more advanced position list wise when Hodge went and Burgoyne could add to his legacy in a similar way by ushering along the younger players at the Hawks and making sure the list is in a strong position when he leaves. Totally understand why the Suns are chasing him though.
Melbourne and GWS were in the Suns position when they took Cross and MacDonald respectively, noise from both clubs is that they were very happy with what those guys provided.

1 year for Silk at the Suns might be best for Hawks, Suns and Silk himself. Imagine a Rankine after a pre-season plus having Shaun mentor him during the season, he'd be one of the most watchable players in the game by the end of 2020.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Melbourne and GWS were in the Suns position when they took Cross and MacDonald respectively, noise from both clubs is that they were very happy with what those guys provided.

1 year for Silk at the Suns might be best for Hawks, Suns and Silk himself. Imagine a Rankine after a pre-season plus having Shaun mentor him during the season, he'd be one of the most watchable players in the game by the end of 2020.
Yeah mate like I said I totally understand why the Suns are in to him, I just don’t think it is beneficial for the Hawks to lose him as of yet. Would hope we try and keep him around.

Back