Club Focus Gold Coast 2020 - Atkins, Markov, Hollands

AFL Club Focus

Do they still need the pick 19 priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast club focus thread
Burgoyne would be an amazing get.

His kids as well are now old enough where they could stay in Melbourne with mum while he spends the season in gold coast if they don't want to uproot them.

Would still see them alot as would travel to Melbourne alot and could see him having an option to stay around an extra day or so on every Melbourne trip.

People scoff at David Myers from Essendon but I think he could be a good influence up there, off field. Is very professional and probably has coaching in his sights I reckon.

Would not cost anything at all as I think Essendon will let him go so would be a dfa .

I think the Suns main target are A grade mids. I think they'll use pick 1 at the draft on a mid(Probably Rowell or Anderson) to continue to add elite young talent to the likes of Ainsworth, Bowes, Rankine, Lukosius and King, but they'll be ultra aggressive with all of their other picks and trades to target mature, gun mids. They've got their tall stocks in order with talent such as Wright, Lukosius and King plus solid, more experienced guys like Witts, Collins, Thompson, Corbett and Day. They have the talent on the flanks with Ainsworth, Rankine, Weller, Ballard, Powell, Ah Chee, Sexton, Harbrow ect. what they need are gun mids. The likes of Swallow, Miller and Fiorini are solid without being anything special. They're hoping Bowes and Ainsworth can develop into A grade mids and they've shown good signs. They need some ready to go guns though.

AFL will probably give them a PP at the end of the first round to help them facilitate these trades and maybe some extra cap space or extra payment in a GCAFL ambassador role. Could they entice two gun mids if they were able to offer 1.5m each? Kelly and Coniglio are the two OOC big name mids at the moment. Coniglio seems likely to stay with GWS or head back to Vic. Kelly is supposedly set on a return to WA but you'd have to wonder if that kind of money could sway him and his partner with a young family.

Other options could be guys like De Goey, Whitfield, Yeo, Cunnington, Treloar, Parker, Merrett, Oliver, Wines, Macrae, Hill, Crouch, Brayshaw. Or they could swing big for a Fyfe, Cripps, Bont or even younger guns like McCluggage, Taranto ect.

Offer big money out to an open market and see if they can garner any interest.

Note: The above names are just examples/suggestions, I understand the likelihood of landing some of those guys are extremely low. I would not be surprised, however, if with the help of the AFL in the form of trade currency and extra cap space they were able to entice a couple of gun mids on big, big money. Unlikely to be guys like Fyfe, Bont, Cripps, Whitfield, De Goey who are going to earn 1+mill anyway and more likely to be guys who'd otherwise be on 700k-800k like Yeo, Treloar, Parker and Macrae.

Don't mind GC go after unrestricted free agent Burgoyne, if hawthorn gave Him a Better offer can always pull out at least let hawthorn use their salary cap wisely.

Yeah if Burgoyne moves he will move as UFA. Id love to see Burgoyne play 400 games.

My point was i think the deal GC will be looking for if they are forced to trade a PP is Experienced Player + Top 10 pick.
I would then go after players that are out of contract + top 10 pick, why waste it on 36 years old unrestricted free agent, there are better option out there.

I would then go after players that are out of contract + top 10 pick, why waste it on 36 years old unrestricted free agent.
You have put 2 and 2 together and got 22.

I wasn't referring to anyone or any club.

I think the Suns main target are A grade mids. I think they'll use pick 1 at the draft on a mid(Probably Rowell or Anderson) to continue to add elite young talent to the likes of Ainsworth, Bowes, Rankine, Lukosius and King, but they'll be ultra aggressive with all of their other picks and trades to target mature, gun mids. They've got their tall stocks in order with talent such as Wright, Lukosius and King plus solid, more experienced guys like Witts, Collins, Thompson, Corbett and Day. They have the talent on the flanks with Ainsworth, Rankine, Weller, Ballard, Powell, Ah Chee, Sexton, Harbrow ect. what they need are gun mids. The likes of Swallow, Miller and Fiorini are solid without being anything special. They're hoping Bowes and Ainsworth can develop into A grade mids and they've shown good signs. They need some ready to go guns though.

AFL will probably give them a PP at the end of the first round to help them facilitate these trades and maybe some extra cap space or extra payment in a GCAFL ambassador role. Could they entice two gun mids if they were able to offer 1.5m each? Kelly and Coniglio are the two OOC big name mids at the moment. Coniglio seems likely to stay with GWS or head back to Vic. Kelly is supposedly set on a return to WA but you'd have to wonder if that kind of money could sway him and his partner with a young family.

Other options could be guys like De Goey, Whitfield, Yeo, Cunnington, Treloar, Parker, Merrett, Oliver, Wines, Macrae, Hill, Crouch, Brayshaw. Or they could swing big for a Fyfe, Cripps, Bont or even younger guns like McCluggage, Taranto ect.

Offer big money out to an open market and see if they can garner any interest.

Note: The above names are just examples/suggestions, I understand the likelihood of landing some of those guys are extremely low. I would not be surprised, however, if with the help of the AFL in the form of trade currency and extra cap space they were able to entice a couple of gun mids on big, big money. Unlikely to be guys like Fyfe, Bont, Cripps, Whitfield, De Goey who are going to earn 1+mill anyway and more likely to be guys who'd otherwise be on 700k-800k like Yeo, Treloar, Parker and Macrae.
the cap as a weapon is a good one for them

Once the bones are built, and they are adding more top end kids, throw a stupid amount at a top level mid who will commit their career to the club and bring a good influence.

On that list, i reckon Merrett is the one (i hate saying it though)
He was leading our group via example in 2016 in his second year, and got himself to elite levels.
All Australian in 2017
Spent the last 2 years learning how to cope with a tag.
Has captaincy written all over him.

Not sure they'd land Yeo or Treloar, after they left QLD & NSW to head home pretty quick.

I agree with Dixon, GC need 12 A grade players in their prime right now.

Young Talent is okay but it wont win you games without experience guiding them. Get the experience now with every bit of currency you have because without it you wont retain or get the most out of the youth.

Keep: Weller, Martin, Miller, Swallow, Witts and Wright.

Trade anyone who can help land other A grade players in the 24 - 27 age bracket.

I agree with Dixon, GC need 12 A grade players in their prime right now.

Young Talent is okay but it wont win you games without experience guiding them. Get the experience now with every bit of currency you have because without it you wont retain or get the most out of the youth.

Keep: Weller, Martin, Miller, Swallow, Witts and Wright.

Trade anyone who can help land other A grade players in the 24 - 27 age bracket.

Honestly how many stars move clubs a year? The Hogan deal ? Duncan or a couch brother would be great but big deals don't happen ..

Connor Blakely from Freo should be the aim.

Might have to be a multi year approach.

Hypothetical names....

Land 2 of:
Billings, MCrouch, Sheed, Sicily, Fantasia, Salem
And 2 of:
Wines, Vlastuin, BCrouch, Membrey, Daniher, TLangdon
And 2 of:
Newnes, BEllis, BHill, Tomlinson, Lloyd, Coniglio

Land 6 of those players add them to: Weller, Martin, Miller, Swallow, Witts and Wright.

Them have them play 50 games under stewie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh they have a ex acting captain in the 2nds already and let Barlow and may go.

They took the long term view in king, Luko and co add to that they lost there full back in pre season

They have had one blow out all year in a poor team they are doing alright. Add Anderson,Flanders de kong to that list they are set for the long term

Kids don’t teach kids

Look at Carlton, look at Melbourne, look at Gold Coast now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh they have a ex acting captain in the 2nds already and let Barlow and may go.

They took the long term view in king, Luko and co add to that they lost there full back in pre season

They have had one blow out all year in a poor team they are doing alright. Add Anderson,Flanders de kong to that list they are set for the long term

Development doesn’t just happen. You need people to help aid these kids, to help keep them to standards.

This isn’t FIFA12

Most people forget that Suns had extensive injury list from the beginning of the season. Started with 4 missing and now against Carlton they were missing 10 players from best 22, 7 of them top 10 (Thompson, Collins, Martin, Weller, Ah Chee, Bowes, Ainsworth). Take similar 10 players from e.g. Crows and see what happens (Essendon would had probably won by 100).

Fix the injury list is priority number one.

2nd Suns should still get 2 top talents this draft and midfielders preferably (Rowell, Anderson,...).

3rd get extra cap from AFL (ambassadorial money) to help recruiting 1-2 top talent 24-26 bracket. It will not happen this year as Suns have to show more progress. This off season 1-2 players of Blakely type would be very good outcome.

And finally get one Hodge type general (McVeigh for me).

Contrary to popular opinion Suns already have mature players to shield young one (Harbrow, Hombsh, Collins, Thompson, Hanley, Swallow, Witts, Miles, Lemmens, Sexton, Young, Day, Holman). Young talented core will be 1 year older and 4-5 years (Bowes, Miller, Ainsworth, Brodie, Macpherson, Wright, Joyce, Ah Chee, Fiorini) or 3 years in a system (Ballard, Powell). Mature recruits Corbett, Burgess with another preseason will again play better, Ellis is decent too. I believe Lukosius and King with another preseason and extra weight will contribute significantly for us next year and Rankine hopefully too.

Target is 2021-22. It would be stupid to get rid off of top talent now. As no top players will join Suns at the moment what's the point of disscusing it? Like Coniglio would want to join Suns. Lukosius, King, Rankine are exceptional talents. You keep them.

Besides extensive injuries, the achilles part of Suns at the moment is midfield and spread and of course total lost of confidence after losing 13 games in a row. Healthy Bowes and Ainsworth would make a difference. Besides Witts, Swallow, Miller, Miles next year Bowes, Ainsworth, Fiorini, Macpherson, Brodie should be ready to step up (4-5 years in a system). On the wing Weller, Powell, Lukosius, Ah Chee plus a traded player if possible. Add inside Anderson and e.g Blakely and suddenly the midfield does no look bad at all with a lot of internal growth. Yesterday against Blues Suns won centre clearances by 11 while Brodie and Swallow did excellent job on Cripps. You could argue Brodie was the best midfielder while he's just starting putting it together.

Last edited:
My brief take on possible assistance.

Draft: Priority pick 2 to draft the 2 best mates. Not popular amongst other clubs, but it has to be done.

Minimum 5 additional list spots for players under 30 plus additional cap space to accomodate for say the next 5 years reducing by 1 each year until back in line with the comp.

Maybe an out of cap veterans rookie list of sorts for players 30yrs plus to get more experienced leaders in the playing group. We have some experienced players, but it seems they are not stepping up enough?

Crying out for an A-grade midfielder. Unless there is crazy ambassador coin on offer though, recruiting one is near on impossible at the moment.

An academy zone in an AFL state such as the NT for the next 5-10 years as suggested by the media. It will take 10+ years to achieve regular AFL standards kids through our current non-AFL zone. Kids participation is booming in QLD, but it will be years before there is regular quality at draft age. The GWS academy in prime AFL territory has continually boosted their list from inception.

The AFL need to subsidise Suns membership prices and game day ticket prices for Metricon from next season. Until we start performing, crowds will continue to decrease. No one will pay top $ to watch a team get belted every week until we improve.
Especially with the Titans future possibly on the move further north, it would be an excellent opportunity to grab more of the GC market share. Need a minimum of 15k regularly at our games. It’s a cracking venue to watch footy when there’s a good crowd to create atmosphere.

Endless possibilities, just need Gil to make things happen.

My brief take on possible assistance.

Draft: Priority pick 2 to draft the 2 best mates. Not popular amongst other clubs, but it has to be done.

Minimum 5 additional list spots for players under 30 plus additional cap space to accomodate for say the next 5 years reducing by 1 each year until back in line with the comp.

Maybe an out of cap veterans rookie list of sorts for players 30yrs plus to get more experienced leaders in the playing group. We have some experienced players, but it seems they are not stepping up enough?

Crying out for an A-grade midfielder. Unless there is crazy ambassador coin on offer though, recruiting one is near on impossible at the moment.

An academy zone in an AFL state such as the NT for the next 5-10 years as suggested by the media. It will take 10+ years to achieve regular AFL standards kids through our current non-AFL zone. Kids participation is booming in QLD, but it will be years before there is regular quality at draft age. The GWS academy in prime AFL territory has continually boosted their list from inception.

The AFL need to subsidise Suns membership prices and game day ticket prices for Metricon from next season. Until we start performing, crowds will continue to decrease. No one will pay top $ to watch a team get belted every week until we improve.
Especially with the Titans future possibly on the move further north, it would be an excellent opportunity to grab more of the GC market share. Need a minimum of 15k regularly at our games. It’s a cracking venue to watch footy when there’s a good crowd to create atmosphere.

Endless possibilities, just need Gil to make things happen.
I would just add that Suns have to be allowed to use 100% soft cap or better get extra 1-2M on top of it. At present, we are 1M below while boosting welfare way above other teams. Some footy dept areas must be seriously underfunded.

Development doesn’t just happen. You need people to help aid these kids, to help keep them to standards.

This isn’t FIFA12

You also need people that are willing to come and help develop them, it take time to gel as a team , look at Essendon Stringer and Shiel, even them superstar take some time to gel with other team mates.

Matt Crouch, Brad Crouch, Greenwood, Laird, Jenkins for Pick 1 and Lukosius?
Surely the crows wouldn't throw Laird in.

Crouch's + Greenwood would get the deal done one would suspect.

Witts Crouch Crouch
Miller Greenwood Fiorini

Would allow them to move Brodie on if that's going to be the plan
If he stays, even better.

Crows midfield would be fairly thin though
ROB Sloane Gibbs
Milera CEY Atkins

Back