Gold Coast and GWS has failed

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
The two expansion clubs are meant to be contending for a flag by now.

Gold Coast is struggling and GWS aren’t living up to their preseason expectations as flag favourites.

What has gone wrong with the GWS and Gold Coast expansion earlier this decade?

The two expansion clubs are meant to be contending for a flag by now.

Gold Coast is struggling and GWS aren’t living up to their preseason expectations as flag favourites.

What has gone wrong with the GWS and Gold Coast expansion earlier this decade?
Coaching. Simple.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gold Coast mismanaged everything and GWS got close but you feel like their window is already closing considering the glut of talent they've had and lost. If they can't be successful on field then they'll struggle off it and the whole experiment will be a disaster.

The introduction of both clubs has negatively impacted the league with so much young talent flowing to those two clubs rather than across the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leon Cameron has crashed the Ferrari. The AFL will hand Clarko a blank cheque to take the Giants to a premiership.

Can’t see it, how attractive is the job now? What’s the list management challenge? They must have a bunch of players on big money, not much room for manoeuvre.

As to the OP, I’d agree if GWS don’t win the flag next year. The core will disintegrate after that, Kelly will go f.a and so will a few others.

Gold Coast yes.

GWS no. Back to back prelims aren’t erased by a 4-5-1 start when half their team is injured.

I suspect this is just a down year/hiccup. Think Crows 04, Cats 06, Saints 07, Hawks 09, Dockers 11, Tigers 16.

Sometimes good teams just have a year where it doesn’t click and they miss the finals. Doesn’t mean they’re a no hope club that needs to be blown up and rebuilt.

In terms of off field, anyone judging them on their first decade is being clearly obtuse and choosing to ignore everything that the aim of expansion is working towards.

On field yep very possible. In terms of the original teams anyway
I know it's a long play from the AFL but I see a vicious cycle developing for both clubs. It took decades for Sydney and Brisbane to gain legitimacy and GWS and Gold Coast have arguably a tougher road. GWS have developed a following off their few years of success but if they fall back in the pack already I think it'll be a struggle. Gold Coast haven't really got a foothold yet with no real success.

Does that mean Freo is a failure?
I have sympathy for Freo supporters, but yes. Fremantle is a failure.

Can't even be buggered doing a detailed post for this thread. Just go through my posting history and you'll find long treatises/nonsensical diatribes on Gold Coast and GWS :D

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back