Gold Coast and GWS has failed

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem for the Suns is that they've barely made an imprint on the competition. They don't really settle in the mind yet as a club identity, which is dangerous in their 8th year of existence. Compare that to Freo and the Cowboys, who came from football mad states and had a successful bigger brother as motivation to beat. The Suns are Carrara 2.0 at this point.

I personally still have a lot of faith in GWS off-field. Other than a form slump over the last 12 months, they've gone about everything the right way, they have a foothold.

Pretty well my view too.

The view of a near empty GWS stadium is not great, so still work to do their on the optics. Such a big area is attractive for the AFL, so the strategy is clear. Its a generational approach. Their are NRL clubs & HAL & T20 teams, so people do follow their sports. Maybe not like we do, but they do have a history of supporting local clubs.

GC, on the other hand has failed time & time again to support any professional sport. Even the NRL keeps struggling. Again, the people their go to beaches & to retire. The history is clear. GC has been the forever black hole for sport. The people have other preferences for their time.

So will the AFL keep throwing $10's millions each year at GC? For how long?

Expansion club's average home crowds in their 7th seasons
Gold Coast: 71% of first season
GWS: 94.9%

Brisbane Bears: 124.4%
Fremantle: 91.0%
Port Adelaide: 88.8%

Gold Coast is a complete failure, GWS is more successful than any club except the Bears.
Premierships, Port 1 GWS 0......yeah more successful right???

Pretty well my view too.

The view of a near empty GWS stadium is not great, so still work to do their on the optics. Such a big area is attractive for the AFL, so the strategy is clear. Its a generational approach. Their are NRL clubs & HAL & T20 teams, so people do follow their sports. Maybe not like we do, but they do have a history of supporting local clubs.

GC, on the other hand has failed time & time again to support any professional sport. Even the NRL keeps struggling. Again, the people their go to beaches & to retire. The history is clear. GC has been the forever black hole for sport. The people have other preferences for their time.

Actually the smallest crowd we've played too this year by a big margin was Bellerieve.

1. 1997
2. 1998
3. 1999
4. 2000
5. 2001
6. 2002
7. 2003

Since I am comparing every club's 7th season, since that's what GWS are currently in and Gold Coast haven't played a home game yet, no, Port Adelaide haven't won a Premiership. They should have, but much like GWS, have choked in 2 preliminary finals, but they have not.

Also the Suns have been an utter failure.
Not only were they gifted with so much talent they royally stuffed up with cultural issues and players constantly wanting out.

Not just that but the Lions crowds have disintegrated over this time.
How many gc based Lions fans jumped ship when the Suns were introduced

Gold Coast needs to go , only room for one team in qld , the afl were told from day one . Club is in free fall.

GWS again equate peg round hole , NRL heart land , people have no interest , now they are not performing the will struggle to get crowds , have been unlucky with injury , and the player drain to Melbourne clubs will kill them

Actually the smallest crowd we've played too this year by a big margin was Bellerieve.

So 2 poorly supported clubs fly from their home to a place with a football history & is continually kicked in the guts by the AFL, & expect what?

Its an embarrassment for you to even mention that.

Personally I though it was great. It was a message to the AFL. 'Shove your shyte clubs & games somewhere else'.

I'm proud I never went.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty well my view too.

Very true about GWS. I lived in the area in recent years (now in Brissy), could see Spotless from where I live (and Manuka several years earlier), and the Giants are casually appreciated, the local media is affectionate, you see the merchandise getting around at community events, election days, kicks at the local park, etc. I see the grassroots approach feeding into the culture. You might meet some locals who have never heard of the Giants, but in workplaces and local shops they'll get a good word here and there. It is generational. The swans have an entirely different supporter base for now, decades of rusted-on passion with generations of supporters. On gameday the train lines for hours up and down the coast are infested with loyal Swans supporters. GWS is working in a slightly different market, one they will never dominate and must share with other codes, one you don't really see from the Sydney CBD. But I think GWS will grow to be one of the nation's biggest all-purpose sports clubs, something with an involving saturday family presence for boys and girls, whether they play this or that, and the AFL will be at the heart of that enterprise.

I'd give Gold Coast more time, Dew might be the person to steer the ship towards success. But yes, off-field I have strong doubts. Brisbane will (and should) never fold, so if a team has to go it will be Gold Coast.

Last edited:
So 2 poorly supported clubs fly from their home to a place with a football history & is continually kicked in the guts by the AFL, & expect what?

Its an embarrassment for you to even mention that.

Personally I though it was great. It was a message to the AFL. 'Shove your shyte clubs & games somewhere else'.

I'm proud I never went.
Doesn't embarrass me at all, it needed to be said.
Merely pointing out that your view of crowds is a seriously askew.

Gold Coast was, is & will be a failure. Footy just isn’t big in the area, support not growing big enough & the team not doing as well as they should, nor expected.

GWS very similar despite getting an even bigger leg-up from the AFL with concessions, plus actually doing the right thing as far as recruitment went going for more established stars to join their list at the start. Can’t compete with soccer in western Sydney & rugby for the rest, might be millions of people in Sydney but it’s proving to be a hard slog to get people through the gates. Regardless of how long they’ve been in, it’s embarassing a pretty recent top of the table clash brought about 10,000 along.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
The stupidity in these type of threads is staggering.

the problem from the outset were their names, colours, and strips, particularly GC. I wouldn't want to be caught dead in either of their guernseys tbh. Additionally, trying to appeal to the regions based on cliches such as lifesavers for GC and tradies (from breakfast point LOL!) for GWS rather than letting the clubs develop organically.....and what about the joke of signing ex-Leaguies in Folau and Hunt! It clear from the sidelines that it's all been forced.

The beatings and not living up to expectations just compounds it.

You're side tracking yourself with semantics about stadium builds.

Every League team has a clear identity.
Sydney FC, like WSW has a clear identity...both have little to do with geography.
WSW has had 10's of thousands of supporters from day one. The people who support them do so because they have a clear identity.
All of the Melbourne, South Australian and West Australian AFL teams have their own identity.
GWS does not have its own identity, yet.
GWS's identity is wholly encompassed by the AFL & its brand. People don't want to support the AFL, they want to support a team, a team that they identify with in some way.

People of Western Sydney (in large enough numbers to create a club & identity) won't support GWS that sometimes plays in Canberra. That is the AFL having a bet each way. If the AFL itself won't commit to Western Sydney why would the people of Western Sydney commit to a sort of/maybe Western Sydney AFL team?

There is a reason why the most successful enterprises (sporting or corporate) are the ones that have a strong & clear identity.
Coke.
Apple.

It is business strategy 101.

No sidetracking at all. Pointing out i disagree with each of your responses is actually on track.

And i completely disagree with what you think of our identity or how we are building our club through grassroots.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gold Coast always had the tougher assignment and I suspect may ultimately fail to make any inroads into the QLD market. The giants I think will eventually gain a foothold and be able to stand on their own. The AFL will persist with them a lot longer than they will with the Gold Coast IMO.

If Gold Coast weren't so poor on-field I actually think they would be doing better with attendances than GWS.

I was fine with expansion but only wanted 1 team in new territory north and the 2nd in Tasmania.

Tasmania has way less growth potential than Gold Coast and Western Sydney. I mean just last week North Melbourne only got 7194 people to watch them at Bundstone.

People using variations of "nobody wants them / there's no demand etc" completely miss the point

They'll probably be small clubs in perpetuity but they'll they grow each year through a continuous long term, very well resourced grass roots strategy

As an aside, the Giants crowds are small but they are actually very vocal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back