Gold Coast and GWS has failed

Remove this Banner Ad

Just checked the RL game. GC Titans v South Sydney Bunnies. The ground would not be 1/4 full. A quick shot on the camera side showed no one. Same at one end.

Honestly 5k would max it out.
To be fair, low attendances at NRL matches aren't limited to the Gold Coast (either the club or the area).

There have been 5 sub-10,000 attendances in Sydney this season for instance.

https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/2018.html#rbr

I'll expand. Firstly who are theTitans?

Both the Swans constitution and ours allow for the board to be elected by "The Member" ie the AFL as the the sole voting member.
Both constitutions have provisions for the clubs to become owned by their membership, but neither have moved to activate it.
It's possible the AFL could decide to conduct elections among their members for board positions I guess. I cant find any reference to it though.

Gold Coast titans rl club

I can’t imagine the afl ever sacrificing all the benefits to cost control and strategic flexibility that comes with no private club ownership for the very limited and uncertain benefits of private ownership of an afl club

They might leverage it for Aflx (and I’m not a fan of that approach even) but they’ve clearly rejected the possibility of privately funded afl clubs otherwise would have surely taken that approach for the expansion if they were ever going to.

I can’t imagine the afl ever sacrificing all the benefits to cost control and strategic flexibility that comes with no private club ownership for the very limited and uncertain benefits of private ownership of an afl club

They might leverage it for Aflx (and I’m not a fan of that approach even) but they’ve clearly rejected the possibility of privately funded afl clubs otherwise would have surely taken that approach for the expansion if they were ever going to.

The AFL is only interested in control. Its become just another corporate entity. Profits are more & more channelled into corporate 'remuneration'. The game of A.R. has become incidental to the requirement of rising of AFL bonuses.

The clubs themselves are more franchises than ever before. The AFL control things more for their own benefit than for the benefit of the game.

Even the obvious reason for WA3. Its way big enough for 3 club but the AFL won't tolerate the WAFC having any more influence. Power & control is the mantra.

My position was what I understood it to be not what I thought it should be. Private ownership doesn't preclude injecting funds but it does require faith in the ownership to give them control of the funds.
Certainly the Edelsten experiment was a disaster.

I do think the relationship between our board and the AFL is misunderstood though, but I'm not sure of other clubs.
Tony Shepherd has much more influence in NSW than the AFL. If you want evidence look to reports he was writing press releases for the NSW Minister for Sport about the Alliance Stadium rebuild. A proposal that was rejected rationally by Baird then adopted by a Government that could easily lose an election because of it, after he left. That was in his role on the board of the SCG trust but it shows his influence.

The notion he could be leaned on by Gillon doesn't make a lot of sense. Much more sensible is the notion the AFL would rely on him for influence in NSW.

Only 7,131 were at the Suns-Giants game today at Spotless Stadium
Do you blame them for not showing up? I couldn’t even be bothered watching most of it (bar 15 minutes in the 2nd) & I was at home with absolutely nothing else to do.

By having 9 games a week to sell to the broadcasters instead of 8, the AFL will be able to weather some pain on these sides for the long term pain. They don’t really lose money in that sense.

The question is whether they will continue to wear the pain if the next broadcasting deal doesn’t match or better this current deal. Which may well happen if the broadcasters start losing viewers to boring scoreless matches & one sided contests.

8008 at the SCG in the Swans 7th season and that was to play Richmond.

It's a non issue at this point.

Then why do people make such an issue of 7000 at Bellerive to watch 2 FIFO non entities? The Melbourne media like to highlight that & ignore other 'realities'

Football politics.

It's almost as if you honestly believe that the AFL signs business contracts on behalf of the Tasmanian government.

You are literally the Diesel Williams of buckpassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the point. Pointing out low crowds interstate to boost their own ego.

It's a complete non issue.

I'd go so far as to claim that 7131 on a Saturday night for a 7 year old club in a non AFL market against another very young club from a non AFL market is a reasonable result.

There's absolutely no way the crowd was 7,131....

I was there and it was a very small crowd.

Probably more around the 4k to 5k mark.

Really terrible showing by the Giants fans, you would find better crowds at big country matches.

Really terrible showing by the Giants fans, you would find better crowds at big country matches.

It was a HOME game. That must be of concern. It just shows how much of the crowd comes with the opposition. GWS was always going to take time. So things like this are to be expected.

Its the GC I'd be concerned about. They've had a generation of footy. The support is going the way of all the other sports that have fallen over in that place.

If I was living in Sydney again I'd go & watch GWS. So much talent.

It was a HOME game. That must be of concern. It just shows how much of the crowd comes with the opposition. GWS was always going to take time. So things like this are to be expected.

6010 attended the 2017 TSL grand final on a Saturday afternoon in a 100+ year old AFL state.

/thread.

6010 attended the 2017 TSL grand final on a Saturday afternoon in a 100+ year old AFL state.

/thread.

Stop making a fool of yourself. Go & look at the falling VFL GF crowds in the centre of the football universe. What about the NEAFL grandfinal?

Anyway State football has SFA to do with AFL games. It is pointless comparing the two, unless of course one is an idiot.

As we seem to be throwing random crowd figures into the discussion now.......

I remember when North were trying their push into Sydney (what a success that was), I watched them play Port Adelaide at the SCG. It must have been around 2000.

The official crowd was 7,000 odd, and that was most definitely a stretch.

I actually, in the real world, was there and have attended for years. My estimate was around 8k and the result was within the margin of error without counting heads. Whether you weren't there, which is my best guess, or you lack the capacity to make a reasonable crowd estimate I dont know.

This forum is full of VFL reactionaries. Can't assess a 30 year project after 8 years and declare it a failure. A 13000 average crowd at Metricon with the disruption of the Commonwealth Games and a garbage team on-field is actually a brilliant result given how rusted on Queensland is with rugby league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back