Gold Coast and GWS has failed

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
This forum is full of VFL reactionaries. Can't assess a 30 year project after 8 years and declare it a failure. A 13000 average crowd at Metricon with the disruption of the Commonwealth Games and a garbage team on-field is actually a brilliant result given how rusted on Queensland is with rugby league.
Not to mention how people forget how good Gold Coast were doing mid way through 2014 when they had 24,000 against Collingwood. When they get themselves right the crowds will be back.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I am shocked that two new franchises that were predicted to win every premiership between 2015 - 2030 have yet to do so.... SHOCKED I SAY SHOCKED. It's not like premierships are a cakewalk (sorry Collingwood) to win. It takes more than talented draftees!

And what a relief it is that that didn't eventuate. Just imagine flags being won by sides that don't actually have a support base...

And what a relief it is that that didn't eventuate. Just imagine flags being won by sides that don't actually have a support base...

I'd be ok with it, whomever loses just isn't good enough... which seems to be a bitter pill to swallow for some (Geelong and Richmond supporters this season especially!!!).

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd be ok with it, whomever loses just isn't good enough... which seems to be a bitter pill to swallow for some (Geelong and Richmond supporters this season especially!!!).

So you would've had fake AFL-backed teams with no supporters winning fake hollow flags with noone to celebrate them and you'd be fine with that? That'd be a good thing??

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
So you would've had fake AFL-backed teams with no supporters winning fake hollow flags with noone to celebrate them and you'd be fine with that? That'd be a good thing??
The supporters we do have are probably more genuine than supporters from the Southern heartland states.

Are southern AFL fans regularly jibed at at work like those AFL fans from NSW and QLD are?

Growing up in NSW I was constantly made fun of for liking AFL more than I did the rugby codes by my schoolmates. That kind of stuff is virtually non existent for southern fans. Their fandom is supported by the prevailing sporting culture. No such privledge for the northern fan of footy.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The supporters we do have are probably more genuine than supporters from the Southern heartland states.

Are southern AFL fans regularly jibed at at work like those AFL fans from NSW and QLD are?

Growing up in NSW I was constantly made fun of for liking AFL more than I did the rugby codes by my schoolmates. That kind of stuff is virtually non existent for southern fans. Their fandom is supported by the prevailing sporting culture. No such privledge for the northern fan of footy.

I wouldn't pay him any attention. He's already ironically locked horns with one Giants fan he apparently doesn't think exists

Both the Giants and Suns will be fine.

The Giants had at least 3K to the semi final against us in Melbourne. They have been around 7 years in a non-traditional city where there is already a very successful Club.

The Suns will get decent crowds when they eventually become competitive, even if it takes another decade. Fremantle didn't win a final for over a decade and have made the last four twice in a quarter of a century.

In 12 years they'll both be 20 year old football clubs with their own emerging histories. Kids who started supporting them in primary school will be starting their own families

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I wouldn't pay him any attention. He's already ironically locked horns with one Giants fan he apparently doesn't think exists

Both the Giants and Suns will be fine.

The Giants had at least 3K to the semi final against us in Melbourne. They have been around 7 years in a non-traditional city where there is already a very successful Club.

The Suns will get decent crowds when they eventually become competitive, even if it takes another decade. Fremantle didn't win a final for over a decade and have made the last four twice in a quarter of a century.

In 12 years they'll both be 20 year old football clubs with their own emerging histories. Kids who started supporting them in primary school will be starting their own families
* that night was cold....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
I am shocked that two new franchises that were predicted to win every premiership between 2015 - 2030 have yet to do so.... SHOCKED I SAY SHOCKED. It's not like premierships are a cakewalk (sorry Collingwood) to win. It takes more than talented draftees!

Talking about fails. How about the Hawks failing money grab in Tassie that is now starting to be an embarrassment with very poor crowds attending and how about the shocker crowds at Ballarat one of the birth places of Australian Football I cant see the AFL putting up with 6000 crowds for premiership matches in Victoria for very long.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yes it's now an 18 team competition, if any side won it... they deserve it.... even Fremantle Freomaniac
you know as well as I do freo wont win the flag I my life time. might fluke a gran final appearance though :)

sure as hell wont wina flag with tough man tony abbott still breathing out of his bum

welshm69

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not to mention how people forget how good Gold Coast were doing mid way through 2014 when they had 24,000 against Collingwood. When they get themselves right the crowds will be back.

Too bad that most of the crowds are 50/50 or even in favour of the interstate side.

That is a failure.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Too bad that most of the crowds are 50/50 or even in favour of the interstate side.

That is a failure.
They are a new club.

When we started our crowds were a 20/80 split some times even worse.
Now the split is 80/20 in our fav most of the time.

It's a generational build for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2012
Just behind you...
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tassie

That is a failure.
Which is exactly where Sydney were when they started.
The SCG was about half full most weekends (1990ish) and away support was more vocal as the locals were still forming the attachments (and learning the rules) the away teams had been building for a long time.
They've come a long way in that time.
You won't get new supporters by putting clubs where allegiances have already been made.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS

That is a failure.

Exactly the attitude being discussed here:

This forum is full of VFL reactionaries. Can't assess a 30 year project after 8 years and declare it a failure. A 13000 average crowd at Metricon with the disruption of the Commonwealth Games and a garbage team on-field is actually a brilliant result given how rusted on Queensland is with rugby league.

Completely ridiculous. Why would a brand new club in an expansion area have more support than other clubs from heartland areas with massive histories of generational support? The idea is Collingwood supporting parents taking their GCS supporting kids to games. Over generations they gain increasing numbers of supporters.

That will take some sort of on field success too.

The impact on grassroots football in Queensland has been significant since GC has been introduced. If GC had any sort of success, I guarantee you they would be consistently getting 20k plus crowds. And this is despite the inconvenience of getting to the ground.

The topic of expansion clubs makes posters on here even more ridiculous than normal, which is saying something...

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
^^
Spot on. And don’t underplay the inconvenience of getting to the ground. Such a big issue.

And, unlike the MCG where there are heaps and heaps of $25 GA seats you can just rock up to, at Metricon most of the empty seats you see on tv are $40-$50 each.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
^^
Spot on. And don’t underplay the inconvenience of getting to the ground. Such a big issue.

I went to the QClash at the Gold Coast (live in Brisbane). Parked at one of the nearby train/bus stations and caught the bus across to the ground. After the game was done, had to stand in queue for about 30 mins for a bus, and then once we got back to the train station, took another 30 mins to get out and onto the main road. Hopefully they will do something about those issues in the nearish future...

And, unlike the MCG where there are heaps and heaps of $25 GA seats you can just rock up to, at Metricon most of the empty seats you see on tv are $40-$50 each.

Same issue with the Gabba. Rock up without a ticket on game day and expect to pay about $50-$70 each, regardless of the fact the ground is half empty.

I showed up to the ground without prebooked tickets to the Brisbane vs Collingwood game. Would've cost me and my girlfriend $150 for 2 seats since only premium seats were left. Bit steep for university students, especially when 11 game GA memberships are only $150 each.

Final crowd was 21,850 out of a 42,000 capacity.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Depending on who you believe the Suns and GWS are anything from 20 year plans to 50 year plans, but the real question is can the AFL continue to support them indefinitely to the extent that they do now?.
It is my opinion that all the while this is happening we will not see any more expansion teams

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depending on who you believe the Suns and GWS are anything from 20 year plans to 50 year plans, but the real question is can the AFL continue to support them indefinitely to the extent that they do now?.

Yes they can

It is my opinion that all the while this is happening we will not see any more expansion teams

This is probably correct. There'll be no more expansion teams until at least one of the teams have set themselves on a sustainable course. Or at least, there will be no more expansion teams that involve the AFL taking on financial risk

This is why it is so counter-productive a significant proportion of the "Team Tasmania" boosters think that death riding the suns is in their interests

Back