Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa
Coast' just as good as goldNick Smart

August 28th, 2008

THE GC17 bid team is set to axe the shortlist of club names and simply call the city's fledgling AFL team The Gold Coast Football Club.

The name of the team, to be announced at a gala function next Thursday night, has been closely guarded.

However, The Gold Coast Bulletin understands the bid team, and especially GC17 leader John Witheriff, is of the opinion there is merit in just calling the team 'Gold Coast' to distinguish themselves from the Titans, Blaze and the incoming A-League team as 'the' football club of the city.

The team will be simply known as the Gold Coast, the Coast or affectionately as the Coasters.

There will still be a mascot designed, which is set to be similar to the Fremantle Dockers mascot -- which is of a blonde-haired surfer with a surfboard under one arm.

As they have for all five shortlisted names -- the Marlins, Stingrays, Ironmen, Guards and the Rays -- the AFL has already registered both the Gold Coast Football Club and Gold Coast FC as a public company.

The bid team has always said it may go with an option other than the five on the shortlist, and it appears Gold Coast FC is that option.

While it would be a first in the AFL, the move is bold, and follows the lead of some of the world's biggest sporting clubs -- such as soccer giants Chelsea FC, Barcelona FC and Real Madrid.

Despite the secrecy surrounding the process, The Bulletin believes the bid team designed logos for all five names on the shortlist, plus a generic 'GC' logo for the Gold Coast Football Club.

There were two designs for each logo -- one in blue and gold colours similar to the Titans and Blaze and the other in red and yellow to follow the surf lifesaving theme.

It has been a close decision, although it is believed the colour scheme was resolved at a GC17 board meeting on Tuesday night.

When asked whether GC17 were considering going with Gold Coast FC without a specific nickname, bid team member Graeme Downie said: "I can't give you any detailed information obviously as it has to be a grand presentation on the night."

"But Gold Coasters won't be disappointed because we are taking into account what they recommended."

GC17 bid team manager Scott Munn yesterday would neither confirm nor deny the name of the team.

"We are still working on a few things," he said.

"I am not going to go through the whole process in where we are at with names.

"At the end of the day, all is going to be revealed next week on Thursday night and we are working towards it."

It has been a strong month for GC17, with the bid team signing up Guy McKenna as coach and Scott Clayton as recruitment and list manager in the past few weeks.

GC17 has signed up close to 30,000 supporters, are on the verge of registering their 100th business supporter and are virtually assured of securing the AFL's 17th national licence in October

800px-Cork_coaster.jpg

How will West Coast feel? After all they've been informally known as the coasters for 20 years. Maybe they'll take the opportunity to change their name to North Perth.

Could be good, could be bad.

I'm guessing bad.

The good could come from a mascot naturally evolving, like the traditional teams. I reckon this is a better way to go than having a marketing firm come up with a name.

However, if they don't want a mascot, then they should not have one. **** the docker clone off.

I hope they chose red and yellow.

I reckon they will probably end up being called the Marlins/Sharks anyway, if only 'informally' like the dockers.

I think this is a good decision. Whats wrong with Gold Coast Football Club? A team does not become any more or less successful by having a nickname. The fans can come up with one anyway, and I am guessing it will be the Sharks. Not officially of course, but, like Fremantle and the Dockers, the fans, players, media etc might still use it.

Coast' just as good as goldNick Smart

virtually assured of securing the AFL's 17th national licence in October
Think the journo's got his head in the sand with the phrase "virtually" there! Definitely, positively, 110% & rubber-stamped!
However the lack of a nickname IS a bit of a departure. Not that it's all bad, it'll just a bit boring.

Think the journo's got his head in the sand with the phrase "virtually" there! Definitely, positively, 110% & rubber-stamped!
However the lack of a nickname IS a bit of a departure. Not that it's all bad, it'll just a bit boring.
What like Melbourne Footbal Club, St Kilda Football Club, Collingwood Football Club, Essendon Football Club ect.

They should just call the club Gold Coast Football Club but still choose a mascot.

A good idea I reckon, it may even give the club the chance to develop its own nickname over time.

It forces people to refer to them as the Goldcoast Football club and not the Marlins so it re-inforces that they represent the Goldcoast and they represent football not just a team called they Marlins etc , Also what is soccer going to do ? There can't be two Goaldcoast football clubs , they'll have to be the GC soccer club :cool:

I wouldn't say it's even a first in the AFL. Our name is the Fremantle Football Club and like Demenoid says 'Dockers' is just an unofficial nickname that we can't even use on our merchandise.

In fact, besides the West Coast Eagles, aren't most clubs officially known as the XXXX Football Club?

I wouldn't say it's even a first in the AFL. Our name is the Fremantle Football Club and like Demenoid says 'Dockers' is just an unofficial nickname that we can't even use on our merchandise.

In fact, besides the West Coast Eagles, aren't most clubs officially known as the XXXX Football Club?

yep, off the top of my head,

St Kilda FC
Collingwood FC
Essendon FC
Melbourne FC
Footscray FC
South Melbourne FC
North Melbourne FC
Geelong FC
Fitzroy FC now Brisbane Bears Fitzroy Football Club in AFL.

I think only West Coast and Brisbane are the exceptions with the mascot in the club name.

As far as im concerned the new clubs should just be Gold Coast FC and Western/West Sydney FC, with mascots chosen but not part of the clubs name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I submitted this as a suggestion on the GC17 website, including using coasters as an unofficial name until something naturally developed.

My justification was that club culture comes from stories such as the black cat running on the park at Corio and Checker Hughes imploring his players to be like Demons, rather than having a name shoved down our throats by the same marketing types which created the Dockers and the Power.

Surprised that they actually have considered it but really hope that they go through with it.

WTF!! How crap!! :mad:
Why have a shortlist for?
We need a name.
What's with the gay mascot.
Bad move by the bid team, they will fall in short time. What a pity!

Where do i sign up for a Titans Membership?

What's with the gay mascot.

Are there any mascots that aren't completely lame?

They're just grown men dressed (mostly) in big animal costumes to entertain the kids. It's a very minor part of a footy club, who really cares what they look like?

There's a distinction between not having a nickname in your official business name and not having one at all (or in this case, having a rather vague one).

I don't think us being the West Coast Football Club would make any difference... not having the Eagle nickname would have made building the brand much harder in the early days.

I think they are on the right track, I would prefer as I have stated before that it be called Gold Coast United, it is a reflection of the large area that makes up the coast from Coolangatta through to Hope island United behind one club.

GCFC is good and would make a good logo on the front of the jumper similar to Carltons with one letter overlaying the next, sure beats the Marlins (stinker).

As for the question of a mascot it doesnt seem to hurt the PL teams, I mean does Man U even have a mascot????? and they seem to have the odd supporter or two.

I think they are on the right track, I would prefer as I have stated before that it be called Gold Coast United, it is a reflection of the large area that makes up the coast from Coolangatta through to Hope island United behind one club.

GCFC is good and would make a good logo on the front of the jumper similar to Carltons with one letter overlaying the next, sure beats the Marlins (stinker).

As for the question of a mascot it doesnt seem to hurt the PL teams, I mean does Man U even have a mascot????? and they seem to have the odd supporter or two.

Red devils I think

Please, for the love of God, NOT Gold Coast United.

Sounds like a wannabe soccer team.

Nothing wrong with a cheesy mascot/nickname like the Marlins or the Stingrays, as it's in line with the "traditional" teams.

Don't like the idea of not having a nickname for the Gold Coast. As a start up in a non-traditional area, they need something to market themselves. I wouldn't be opposed to not nicknaming a club in an area like Tassie though.

Please, for the love of God, NOT Gold Coast United.

Sounds like a wannabe soccer team.

Nothing wrong with a cheesy mascot/nickname like the Marlins or the Stingrays, as it's in line with the "traditional" teams.

Don't like the idea of not having a nickname for the Gold Coast. As a start up in a non-traditional area, they need something to market themselves. I wouldn't be opposed to not nicknaming a club in an area like Tassie though.

Wouldn't that make your BLUEs non traditional, I mean what the %^$# is a BLUE ;)

Clearly whatever it ends up being there will be unhappy people.

Gold Coast have the perfect opportunity to create a brilliant new identity, an opportunity that has not been seen in the AFL in nearly 15 years. No nickname = no identity!

yep, off the top of my head,

St Kilda FC
Collingwood FC
Essendon FC
Melbourne FC
Footscray FC
South Melbourne FC
North Melbourne FC
Geelong FC
Fitzroy FC now Brisbane Bears Fitzroy Football Club in AFL.

I think only West Coast and Brisbane are the exceptions with the mascot in the club name.

As far as im concerned the new clubs should just be Gold Coast FC and Western/West Sydney FC, with mascots chosen but not part of the clubs name.
Sydney's offical name is actually Sydney Swans Ltd.. They must be the only one not to have "Football Club" in their name.

The good could come from a mascot naturally evolving, like the traditional teams. I reckon this is a better way to go than having a marketing firm come up with a name.
It worked for the Tasmanian Devils. When they entered the VFL, they had no nickname. The Devils dame was adopted pretty much by acclamation.

Maybe Peel Thunder, Freo and Port Adelaide sould have tried that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back