Gold Coast Commonwealth Games 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
THE Gold Coast will launch a bid to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
Premier Anna Bligh has made the announcement today, saying a successful Commonwealth Games bid would put Queensland on track for a future Olympics bid.

The ACT and West Australian governments have announced feasibility studies to examine possible bids for Canberra and Perth to host the Games in 2018.

But Ms Bligh's announcement makes the Gold Coast the first Australian city to go ahead with a formal bid.

Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke, a Commonwealth and Olympic athletics medallist, is expected to take a key role in promoting the bid.

Mr Clarke competed in two Olympic and three Commonwealth Games, winning an Olympic bronze and four Commonwealth Games silver medals.

Brisbane hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1982, beating bidders Lagos, Kuala Lumpur and Birmingham.

The next two Commonwealth Games will be held in Delhi (2010) and Glasgow (2014).

The bidding process for the 21st Commonwealth Games will begin in 2010 with the Australian Commonwealth Games Association notifying the Commonwealth Games Federation of the intended bidding city from Australia.

The formal lodgement of bids to the Commonwealth Games Federation will take place in 2011.

The Commonwealth Games Evaluation Commission then visits the bidding cities and produces a detailed report.

National representatives from Commonwealth Games associations will then meet at a general assembly in 2011 and vote on the winning city.
``I can think of no better place to host the best the Commonwealth has to offer,'' Ms Bligh said of the Gold Coast.
``We have formally contacted the Australian Commonwealth Games Association to express our interest.
``They have indicated that in the next few months they will decide whether Australia will bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games or future Commonwealth Games so I was keen to put our hand up early.''
Ms Bligh said a local committee would be set up and the economic spin-offs were expected to be ``enormous''.
Infrastructure already in place included the Skilled Park Stadium and the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre.
``However, while these projects are significant there is no doubt more work will need to be done if we are to be successful in our bid,'' Ms Bligh said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24223271-601,00.html

Hmmm .... I don't think you can fit an athletics track in a Rugby League ground.

If the club plans on playing out of Carrara for 7 years then it will be massive fail.

GC will be playing all their big games at Gabba till 2020 (5 per year). Maybe they could struggle on at Carrara between 2011-2018, as those 8 years would equate to BBears 6 years there between 1987-1992 and then another three years at the Gabba whilst the new stands were being built and crowds were only 11k capacity.

So it is a progression that is do-able, but it won't help them to win early flags.

If the bid is successful, then why not go for a 40k stadium after it is downsized a la Homebush.

It would be an oddity for Australia to host 2 of 4 sequential commonwealth games.

Then again, it is a farce of a competition. Australia is probably the only country who would deign to spend money on it, and even then its only to lead into an Olympic bid.

Melbourne wants them. it appears Brisbane does too. Would be interesting to see if they pip Melbourne like Sydney did in 2000.

GC will be playing all their big games at Gabba till 2020 (5 per year). Maybe they could struggle on at Carrara between 2011-2018, as those 8 years would equate to BBears 6 years there between 1987-1992 and then another three years at the Gabba whilst the new stands were being built and crowds were only 11k capacity.

So it is a progression that is do-able, but it won't help them to win early flags.

If the bid is successful, then why not go for a 40k stadium after it is downsized a la Homebush.

Theyd need a decent size stadium for the Comm Games. If its only going to be 40k after a downsize, I wouldnt think it would be more than 60k with temporaries...very small for Comm Games. MCG was 90k+ and Kuala Lumour was the same..Manchester being the exception ;)

Theyd need a decent size stadium for the Comm Games. If its only going to be 40k after a downsize, I wouldnt think it would be more than 60k with temporaries...very small for Comm Games. MCG was 90k+ and Kuala Lumour was the same..Manchester being the exception ;)

As if Qld govt would build a bigger permanent stadium for GC than it has already at Gabba. The old QE2 Stadium for Brizzy's Cwlth Games in 1982 still seats near on 50,000, and the rounded end parts are all still noticeably very demountable- scaffolding and alloy mounted by seating on only the lower decks- take that away and you'd have 20k only.

My guess is that on GC they'd build a similar stadium, may be even to 70k, but could be dis-assembled back to 40k afterwards quite easily. Believe me, the GC will not end up with an AFL stadium bigger than the Gabba.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 12 years after we had them. Aren't we trying to get the World Cup anyway. :(

Yeah, Cwealth Games is suffering from same as Olympics, a dearth of viable alternative continents to the ones that always get them. RSA has 2010 World Cup soccer thankfully, and may hold either games in future based on that.

Asia is limited to India and Malaysia now that HK is gone for Cwealth. Sth America zip. Africa only RSA.

Oz and NZ the only other alternatives, so we get them again! We could do WC easily.

No, I know they won't build a Stadium 7 years out, more like 1 year out, tops.

That is if they even get it, and more likely that they hold the Athletics at either the Gabba or ANZ.

It would be rather pointless bidding to hold the Games on the Gold Coast, to then hold the flagship events ie athletics, in Brisbane. If the Gold Coast were to be successful in getting the Commonwealth Games, there would be a new stadium built on the Coast. Of course if the Qld Govt had demonstrated some foresight, they could have built Skilled Park as a multi-sport stadium, instead of building a rectangle field which is useless for athletics.

A GC games for 2018 or 2022 would be awesome for AFL there. The code would get a free modern 30 - 40K stadium.

Games will be split with the Gabba until 2020 anyway.

Perfect timing.

No, I know they won't build a Stadium 7 years out, more like 1 year out, tops.

That is if they even get it, and more likely that they hold the Athletics at either the Gabba or ANZ.

Athletics at the Gabba for a GC bid. You really are clutching at straws now aren't you?

Athletics at the Gabba for a GC bid. You really are clutching at straws now aren't you?

Better than wasting taxpayer dollars on something that will only ever be filled on the Opening and Closing ceremonies. The ads in Sydney selling tickets for the Melbourne Games where still running a week after it had started.

It is a second rate event that doesn't financially warrant massive expenditures on facilities, you just upgrade what you have got.

Last I looked, Brisbane was not a million miles from the GC, Athletics was not the only sport at the games and the Queensland Treasury wasn't sitting on unlimited funds now, nor will it in the future with an increasing population across the State.

Furthermore, there is an imminent election coming in Queensland, so pardon my scepticism.

Better than wasting taxpayer dollars on something that will only ever be filled on the Opening and Closing ceremonies. The ads in Sydney selling tickets for the Melbourne Games where still running a week after it had started.

It is a second rate event that doesn't financially warrant massive expenditures on facilities, you just upgrade what you have got.

Last I looked, Brisbane was not a million miles from the GC, Athletics was not the only sport at the games and the Queensland Treasury wasn't sitting on unlimited funds now, nor will it in the future with an increasing population across the State.

Furthermore, there is an imminent election coming in Queensland, so pardon my scepticism.

So you are saying its a GC bid but the centrepiece of the games ( stadium) will be in Brisbane , righto , would'nt they make the bid for Brisbane if thats the case ??

Better than wasting taxpayer dollars on something that will only ever be filled on the Opening and Closing ceremonies.

No, you simply don't bid unless you're prepared for the cost and if you are going to bid for the GC games then you have to build a decent stadium and you have to build it so it is suitable to be used for Australian Football afterwards so it wont be a white elephant .

If carrara (or somewhere) is tarted up it would be a great HQ for the upcoming queensland state league which will inevitably be created to support footy on the gold coast.

Money spent on cararra would not be wasted

Like the blacktown ground in sydney.

Just thinking - how would a stadium on the 'waste' ground near seaworld look ? Nice ocean views etc and make footy very prominent on the coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back