Club Focus Gold Coast 2020 - Atkins, Markov, Hollands

AFL Club Focus

Do they still need the pick 19 priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Several thoughts on the SUNS list in 2021.

It became pretty obvious that SUNS hierarchy used 2020 season to put games into young players with a long-term view of 2022 and beyond when SUNS hope to be a serious finals contender.

In 2020, SUNS were usually 2+ years younger than the opposition and were playing 9-11 players 22 years old or younger including 6-8 players 20 years old or younger. There was some frustration among SUNS supporters that SUNS prioritised building synergy and did not use the depth while having minimal injuries list for the first time in SUNS history.

There is now the obvious young core of 11 talented players established to more forward - Budarick (19), Powell (21), Bowes (23), Ballard (21), Lukosisus (20), Ainsworth (23), King (20), Rankine (20), Anderson (20), Flanders (19), Rowell (19).

A lot of games were put into these players in 2020 and and it is a credit to SUNS performance/development/welfare teams that most of these players improved significantly in 2020. Unfortunately, a soft cap cut means cuts to development/welfare staff and it will be interesting to see what impact it will have on teams and young teams like SUNS specifically.

There are obvious candidates in this core to be future stars/guns - Lukosius, Rankine, King, Anderson, Rowell. This raises the question. Did SUNS accumulate enough talent already? Is it time to go for a top A mature talent rather than draft top talent and just shuffle/shore up the role players while growing together this young core?

Besides these 11 talented players SUNS still have more young players and some of them could join the list - Graham (20), Sharp (19), McLennan (20), Rosas (19) or mature recruit Farrar (24).

This young core above is complemented by good mature players - Witts (28), Swallow (28), Greenwood (29), Sexton (27), B Ellis (27), Miller (25), Collins (26).

There are number of role players on the list - Day (28), Lemmens (26), Holman (25), Corbett (24), Macpherson (23).

There are several players who could not get regular games or no games at all in 2020 and several of them could end up on a trade block - Brodie (22), Wright (24), Fiorini (23). As the SUNS list matures, no doubt more players will go similar to GWS as I believe not all this talent can be kept.

On top of that, there are round 1 quality draftees Davies and Jeffrey who will probably join SUNS this draft.

Trade rumors so far indicate that Broad and Atkins could join SUNS.

In summary, I believe SUNS have a lot of to work with in 2021. They accumulated talent and the most of the list to take SUNS into the finals is already there. 1-2 mature (24-26 years old) best 22 acquisitions would still be be handy (Broad looks perfect fit). An ideal scenario would be trading pick 5 for one elite A midfielder with outside speed though I doubt it will happen this off-season.

In 2021, I expect the continuation of 2020. SUNS will be putting games into and playing the young core. As they mature and continue to build synergy the improvement will come mostly from within. A smart trade period could speed up the process.

Last edited:

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Don't need anymore picks, just need some A-B graders in the trade period to make our best 22 better

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In their current state, I really don't feel they should be getting the draft concession that allows them to pre-list academy players, but I also accept that it's too late to do anything about that now, and would be quite unfair to remove that benefit this late. I do expect that the additional list spots should be coming down over the next few years and no more pre-listing players after this year.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
In their current state, I really don't feel they should be getting the draft concession that allows them to pre-list academy players, but I also accept that it's too late to do anything about that now, and would be quite unfair to remove that benefit this late. I do expect that the additional list spots should be coming down over the next few years and no more pre-listing players after this year.
I agree, I think lasts years draft was good enough

Gold Coast have another highly rated academy player they’ll take in this years draft. Given that Gold Coast already have a ton of players under 21 on their list, is the Suns pick 5 in the 2020 draft completely off the trade table?

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gold Coast have another highly rated academy player they’ll take in this years draft. Given that Gold Coast already have a ton of players under 21 on their list, and their need for more quality senior players, is the Suns pick 5 in the 2020 draft completely off the trade table?
I believe SUNS would be more than happy to trade pick 5 for an elite player in correct age bracket. Actually, it's 2 quality draftees - Davies and Jeffrey.

Last edited:

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I believe SUNS would be more than happy to trade pick 5 for an elite player in correct age bracket. Actually, it's 2 quality draftees - Davies and Jeffrey.
What about for pick 14 + 2021 1st?
I imagine if we don’t get Gunston or Brown we would be very interested in one of the talks this year.

and as Melbourne has shown, that future 1st could easily be a top 5/10 pick if we decline.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I imagine if we don’t get Gunston or Brown we would be very interested in one of the talks this year.

and as Melbourne has shown, that future 1st could easily be a top 5/10 pick if we decline.
Convince one of your midfield guns to join upcoming SUNS and pick 5 is yours :)

SUNS will draft the best left at pick 5. Phillips is a good chance. He played with Rowell and Anderson.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

We don’t need picks we need mature players

Brenton87

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Wouldn't be a pick swap, would be for an established gun player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Current senior list: 34 players
Live picks: 3 (5, 76, 94) - have said they will only take one pick
Current rookies: 7 Cat A’s (Harbrow, Hombsch, Murdoch, Smith, Rosas, Conroe, Murtagh), 2 Cat B’s (Towey, Oea). Believe they’re allowed a total of 49

so with 4 new boys im assuming all on senior list takes them to 38-7-2
room for 2 more players to get to 49 max but only on rookie list- so is another senior list player making way so they can use pick 5?

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Current senior list: 34 players
Live picks: 3 (5, 76, 94) - have said they will only take one pick
Current rookies: 7 Cat A’s (Harbrow, Hombsch, Murdoch, Smith, Rosas, Conroe, Murtagh), 2 Cat B’s (Towey, Oea). Believe they’re allowed a total of 49

so with 4 new boys im assuming all on senior list takes them to 38-7-2
room for 2 more players to get to 49 max but only on rookie list- so is another senior list player making way so they can use pick 5?
Davies and Jeffrey on senior list. Nicholls and Fyfe on rookie list.

I thought we were allowed 10 Cat a rookies but could be wrong. A lot of talk on our board that we have 1 more rookie spot open and most were hoping it wasn't for Townsend.
I read 9 max but don’t have the article handy

I think you have 2 senior list spots tho so could get an SSP if you wanted to go the max 49 total list all up

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I read 9 max but don’t have the article handy

I think you have 2 senior list spots tho so could get an SSP if you wanted to go the max 49 total list all up
Correct, basically Rookie list is more encouraging drafting local and give some senior players some super for retirement.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Best possible pick up with Hollands. JUH aside would have taken him at pick 1. Really rounds out their young brigade with the powerful forward-cum midfielder type. Plus Davis + Jeffery. Very little stopping them have an extended run in the top 4. Might be timing it well too with a bunch of senior teams nearing a demographic cliff. May be rivalling GWS for the most talent laden side ever, but probably a little more balanced.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Top ten B & F:
Sam Collins
Touk Miller
Jarrod Witts
Hugh Greenwood
Brandon Ellis
Noah Anderson
Lachie Weller
Wil Powell
Jack Bowes
Jack Lukosius

Huge Joel Jeffrey fan, but i can see a line of recruiters already forming at the gates of Metricon Stadium, you can only play 22 players although Gill is probably
working on some sort of exemption for Gold Coast.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Top ten B & F:
Sam Collins
Touk Miller
Jarrod Witts
Hugh Greenwood
Brandon Ellis
Noah Anderson
Lachie Weller
Wil Powell
Jack Bowes
Jack Lukosius

Huge Joel Jeffrey fan, but i can see a line of recruiters already forming at the gates of Metricon Stadium, you can only play 22 players although Gill is probably
working on some sort of exemption for Gold Coast.

How did Ben King not crack that top 10? Even Budarick deserved a showing.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How did Ben King not crack that top 10? Even Budarick deserved a showing.
King averaged 7.1 Disposals in his 17 Games.
Budarick averaged 9.2 Disposals in his 15 Games.

The top ten probably without looking played more games and had more influence, their time will come.

Back