AFL Club Focus
Gold Coast club focus thread
Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns

Data from footywire. To check the current draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Iirc , the suns hold the 'end of first round pick' (19) currently in next years apparently solid draft pool.

Is this charity pick still required? Gold coast already look stacked , can they even fit in another young talent into the overflowing list?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Probably not but there's no harm in letting them keep it, we're seeing them now loaded with young talent, but there's still the possibility of a future exodus of top enders like King, Luko, Rankine, etc., giving them 19 still is just a small insurance policy for if that happens (or when, an exodus to some degree is almost certain considering how good these kids are already)

The pre-listing academy kids is the advantage they have I'd look at taking away

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Probably not but there's no harm in letting them keep it, we're seeing them now loaded with young talent, but there's still the possibility of a future exodus of top enders like King, Luko, Rankine, etc., giving them 19 still is just a small insurance policy for if that happens (or when, an exodus to some degree is almost certain considering how good these kids are already)

I rather not having pick 19 , pre listing academy kids is a must for keeping local talent and Darwin zone ,where there is no go home factor players like GWS .

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Davies and Jeffery sound like excellent pick ups

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I rather not having pick 19 , pre listing academy kids is a must for keeping local talent and Darwin zone ,where there is no go home factor .
I'd also rather not have Pick 19 if I were in that position, because a massive advantage, that's why it should be the main one looked at

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'd also rather not have Pick 19 if I were in that position, because a massive advantage, that's why it should be the main one looked at
I dont see the reason for that , promote local talent .DARWIN zone - No guarantee Rosa can make it either . Jefferey ? .
Brodie lake hype by Adelaide BF fan but end up nobody pick him up .

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I dont see the reason for that , promote local talent . No guarantee Rosa can make it either .
I didn't mention any of the players you've picked up for a reason, no kid is a guarantee, the issue is there's currently no compromise for the Suns to get these kids, you're just signing them straight up to the rookie list for free hits. If the kids are seen as good enough prospects the Suns will still match the bids in the draft

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Carlton didn't get Martin for nothing?
Martin isn't happy?
Gold Coast had to swallow their pride after all the initial chest-puffing?
They're not facts? :)

I don't know how Carlton come out looking bad for not trading out their first rounder for a player GC deemed to be reserves player at years end.
Quite frankly my dear.......I think you're mixed up.

Carlton got a player who does very little for a massive salary, in the same forward line as another traded player who does nothing for a huge salary.

The picks are irrelevant to GC, but they took their stand after getting an insulting offer. Really don't see how Carlton won much here.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let GC float on their own for a while and see how it goes.
They are no longer the worst team in the league and still have the largest list with exceptional under 23 talent.
AFL can't just keep giving them handouts at the expense of the other 17 teams in the league.
Their bonkers academy concessions are enough.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Carlton got a player who does very little for a massive salary, in the same forward line as another traded player who does nothing for a huge salary.

The picks are irrelevant to GC, but they took their stand after getting an insulting offer. Really don't see how Carlton won much here.

Lol
We lost nothing and Martin played a lot more good games than bad ones last season for Carlton.

Fact is, Wellsy and his H-Bags purse made a massive offer for Jack Martin, and he still rejected your lot to join Carlton

Your post strikes me as a jilted lover scorned.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let GC float on their own for a while and see how it goes.
They are no longer the worst team in the league and still have the largest list with exceptional under 23 talent.
AFL can't just keep giving them handouts at the expense of the other 17 teams in the league.
Their bonkers academy concessions are enough.
Agree with that. If Rowell can stay on the park consistently, when Hollands gets going, they are going to have an absolutely awesome midfield of Rowell, Hollands and Anderson with plenty of mid tier optioins to roll through there with those absolute A grade kids..imagine Rowell extracting it and feeding to hollands and Hollands taking lacing it out to Rankine...scary stuff

They certainly don't need the extra pick as they are stocked full of talent

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I hope we don’t end up like the giants. All these young kids and can’t sign them all..

That is exactly what we (other club supporters) want and it will happen.

Gold Coast need to be very careful that they don't err and trade or let go a promising player in their early 20's who had one poor season simply to gain a highly rated untried u18.

The upside though is they (like the Giants) will constantly top up with 1st and 2nd round picks from trades and keep refreshing from the first two rounds.

Its not a bad situation to be in. I am hoping the Eagles can capitalise on the likes of Sharp and Powell types who may get squeezed out.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
That is exactly what we (other club supporters) want and it will happen.

Gold Coast need to be very careful that they don't err and trade or let go a promising player in their early 20's who had one poor season simply to gain a highly rated untried u18.

The upside though is they (like the Giants) will constantly top up with 1st and 2nd round picks from trades and keep refreshing from the first two rounds.

Its not a bad situation to be in. I am hoping the Eagles can capitalise on the likes of Sharp and Powell types who may get squeezed out.
Powell will be best 22. Found his spot on the HBF/BP last year, very little chance he leaves IMO.

The 2 this year I would think would be chances to move on would be Flanders and Sharp. Mostly because opportunities may be hard for them to come by in a very settled team. Though a few injuries and they will also get their chance.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Powell will be best 22. Found his spot on the HBF/BP last year, very little chance he leaves IMO.

The 2 this year I would think would be chances to move on would be Flanders and Sharp. Mostly because opportunities may be hard for them to come by in a very settled team. Though a few injuries and they will also get their chance.

That the point though, Suns will soon have 28-30 best 22 players and then comes salary cap issues.

If Jeffrey is anything like his father then Powell will be under pressure for that spot and soon. Joel's dad was a gun, his stand out trait was his intensity at the contest.

Also have Markov and others gunning for a half back position.

It's a nice problem to have that's for sure.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
That the point though, Suns will soon have 28-30 best 22 players and then comes salary cap issues.

If Jeffrey is anything like his father then Powell will be under pressure for that spot and soon. Joel's dad was a gun, his stand out trait was his intensity at the contest.

Also have Markov and others gunning for a half back position.

It's a nice problem to have that's for sure.
Problem are meant to be solve not predict . A lot of Bf fan just predict like fortune teller .

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Problem are meant to be solve not predict . A lot of Bf fan just predict like fortune teller .

What the difference between forecasting and planning and predicting?

It's a moot point. As I said it's a good problem to have. Gold Coast will turn over good young players who move for opportunity and will get good draft picks in return. Just like GWS.

Back