Gold Coast Drafting - How is it fair???

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get your nickers in a knot there. These draft concessions are for the overall beneift of the game and still don't guarantee any "immediate" success for the Gold Coast when they enter the competition anyway. And by the way...

Mat Egan (pick 62)
Gary Ablett (pick 40)
Paul Chapman (31)
Mathew Scarlett (45)
Daniel Cross (pick 56)
Daniel Giansiracusa (32)
Lindsay Gilbee (43)
Chance Bateman (pick 48)
Sam Mitchell (36)
Adam Goodes (43)
James Hird (79)!

A combination of some very solid players and some out-and-out champions of the game right there. The draft can be a lottery, so don't get too caught up in the whole situation.

Imagine a side that has won three wooden spoons and finished 15th twice since 2002 getting their hands on some of the best young talent.

Disgraceful that Carlton hasbenefited from being a rabble on and off the field after our draft penalties.

An amazing coincidence...

I didn't saw you shouldn't receive benefits. I'm just saying it went on for too long especially when you factor in priority picks.

It might work out well overall for the teams finishing in the bottom four in 2010. Probably not for the team finishing sixteenth, as they're not going to receive the silver bullet of pick one, but for other teams, they will be able to get some great picks in exchange for players in the 26-30 age bracket. Consider say West Coast finishing 15th again in 2010. They might miss out on their normal pick (number two), but they could offload Adam Selwood, Sam Butler, Adam Hunter et cetera for some first round picks. Furthermore, if they were ready to make a big decision on Cox's future, and decide he wont be a part of their next premiership, they could trade him off to the Gold Coast for two first round picks and probably two second round picks.

Of course, this is all hypothetical, simply assume that West Coast arent the young side that they are, that Cox is 29-30 et cetera. I think that some clubs will eke out some gold picks from the Gold Coast. For example, assume Hale continues his good form and in 2010 he will be 26 and in his prime. For the Gold Coast to recruit him, North might pick up about four picks.

It might work out well overall for the teams finishing in the bottom four in 2010. Probably not for the team finishing sixteenth, as they're not going to receive the silver bullet of pick one, but for other teams, they will be able to get some great picks in exchange for players in the 26-30 age bracket. Consider say West Coast finishing 15th again in 2010. They might miss out on their normal pick (number two), but they could offload Adam Selwood, Sam Butler, Adam Hunter et cetera for some first round picks. Furthermore, if they were ready to make a big decision on Cox's future, and decide he wont be a part of their next premiership, they could trade him off to the Gold Coast for two first round picks and probably two second round picks.

Of course, this is all hypothetical, simply assume that West Coast arent the young side that they are, that Cox is 29-30 et cetera. I think that some clubs will eke out some gold picks from the Gold Coast. For example, assume Hale continues his good form and in 2010 he will be 26 and in his prime. For the Gold Coast to recruit him, North might pick up about four picks.

Spot on, until the last sentence.

4 picks? Ex-squeeze-me?

Spot on, until the last sentence.

4 picks? Ex-squeeze-me?

I qualified it by stating assuming Hale continues his impressive 2008 form and becomes a premier ruckman in the competition. Also, notice I said four picks, not four first rounders. Four might be a bit much, granted, but by the time 2011 rolls around he'll be about 27, in the prime of his career, and a native Gold Coaster. Anyway, this isnt about me trying to boost Hale's profile. Remove his name, add Reiwoldt's name. I think the point still stands. Teams might not get the draft picks they usually get on a platter, but 2011 will provide the perfect opportunity for a courageous coach to bite the bullet and rebuild seriously by offloading decent middle-tier players for draft picks.

I qualified it by stating assuming Hale continues his impressive 2008 form and becomes a premier ruckman in the competition. Also, notice I said four picks, not four first rounders. Four might be a bit much, granted, but by the time 2011 rolls around he'll be about 27, in the prime of his career, and a native Gold Coaster. Anyway, this isnt about me trying to boost Hale's profile. Remove his name, add Reiwoldt's name. I think the point still stands. Teams might not get the draft picks they usually get on a platter, but 2011 will provide the perfect opportunity for a courageous coach to bite the bullet and rebuild seriously by offloading decent middle-tier players for draft picks.

Yeah, but why would a club trade 4 picks for one player? Has this ever been done? Its not about Hale. Its about the notion of quantity imbalance in trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back