Gold Coast - Have they turned the corner?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I must admit, I've been pretty impressed with GC's start to the season. I know they've had similar starts in the past before fading but they seem to be playing a more mature brand of footy this year. Also quite entertaining to watch, which is pretty important, considering their low fan-base and need to attract neutrals to watch their games.

WCE couldn't put them away until the last quarter, they pumped North (as they should've) and took it right up to Adelaide, who've been pretty good themselves so far to start the season.

The most impressive aspect is that the 2 losses have been away and they've been right in them until nearly the end of the game against quality opposition on hostile grounds. The old GC would've folded like a deck of cards.

Obviously, with the talent they have on the list, natural improvement is to be expected but yo only have to look to a clubs such as Carlton and Essendon, as well as GC themselves, who have had many opportunities over the years to draft high-end talent which has ultimately not ended in them being successful.

Added to this, the players are starting to look like they genuinely want to play for the club, which the most important thing of all.

Have they finally turned the corner, or is this another false dawn for the Suns?

They're still turning the same corner they have been for a couple of years now. They very clearly arent in th3 bottom couple of teams but I doubt many have them troubling the 8 at this stage.

Until they make finals they are still turning the corner imo.

Last night was the ultimate opportunity to prove that they'd turned a corner. Never won in Adelaide and coming up against a side who are rebuilding.
We saw the same problems they've had for years - competitive for large stages and then fall away when the heat is on.
They'll finish somewhere between 12th and 15th. This "club" has no heart.

Last night was the ultimate opportunity to prove that they'd turned a corner. Never won in Adelaide and coming up against a side who are rebuilding.
We saw the same problems they've had for years - competitive for large stages and then fall away when the heat is on.
They'll finish somewhere between 12th and 15th. This "club" has no heart.
Maybe I should've named the thread "Are they turning the corner"

Still think they're showing plenty more, considering how young they are.

Playing better than Carlton for instance, who were relentlessly pumped up during the pre-season as always.

As long as they stop being belted in games and eke out a few extra wins, then I'd say that'd be a pass mark for the year.

Similar trajectory to Melbourne under Roos, without shitting the bed post prelim final destruction hopefully.

Hopefully they can stay competitive throughout the year, especially so towards the end when injuries will test their depth and their younger players start to become fatigued.

2022 will be their year where they'll be expecting to win more games than they lose.

Maybe I should've named the thread "Are they turning the corner"

Still think they're showing plenty more, considering how young they are.

Playing better than Carlton for instance, who were relentlessly pumped up during the pre-season as always.

As long as they stop being belted in games and eke out a few extra wins, then I'd say that'd be a pass mark for the year.

Similar trajectory to Melbourne under Roos, without shitting the bed post prelim final destruction hopefully.

Its a pretty low pass mark though isn't it?

Its a pretty low pass mark though isn't it?
Probably, but improvement has to come from somewhere.

As trash as Adelaide's been, they still made a GF a few years ago and still have a solid core of those players. The GC structure is finally starting to look settled with a decent spine and stronger midfield. Unlikely to make the 8 this year but I don't think they'll be bottom 4 at least.

For Gold Coast - the thing they want and need more than anything is respect. They are starting to get it. Once they earn respect from the footy world they'll be able to recruit and retain top players and not just get the highly paid mercenary footballers which suck money and dont help the culture, future, development etc. Although having said that they seem to have veered away from that type of recruit in recent years anyway

Its always been a 2 team race for respect between GWS and GC - GWS have always been more respected and GC have been seen as a basket case - but I think the tables have turned and GC are starting to get some respect and GWS are dropping off.

GC have some very nice recruits - and invested heavily in what seem to be the good drafts (unlike 2020 :/ - which I'm tipping may be a dud draft year)

Dew seems to be a good people person / player manager coach who knows what it takes to win

They need a solid year in 2021 - pushing the 8 consistently and taking it up the top teams and 2022 they may see enough improvement to give finals a good shake.

They lost last night but I can't help but feel like the foundations for their second build are so much stronger than the foundations to their first build. Their first build required Gary Ablett, and if he did not have a good game or more likely if he was injured or just didn't feel like playing then Gold Coast were stuffed. They are not reliant on any one individual player this build.

Strange timing for this kind of thread. They were OK last night, up against a pretty determined Gold Coast team. Still very much building into a reasonable team, but I have them making finals as early as next year.

Their skill level is very good. I like how quickly they can flick the ball around, but ultimately they struggle to capitalise on a lot of their good work around the ground.

Noah Anderson has gone under the radar a little bit too. Such a clean, tough player who will dominate the comp at his peak. Reminds me of Mark Ricciuto.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it’s been a tough road for them but they’ve started a number of season pretty well, but then petered out. They’ve won one from three this year including playing two bottom two sides from last year.

At some point they need to flick the switch and actually become good, like GWS did in 2016. This repetitive talk re their potential is pointless.

I thought they were bog average last night.
Not sure what game you were watching as they had a decent crack & were unlucky to lose their ruckman in a close contest.

They appear to have bought into Dew's game plan.

For Gold Coast - the thing they want and need more than anything is respect. They are starting to get it. Once they earn respect from the footy world they'll be able to recruit and retain top players and not just get the highly paid mercenary footballers which suck money and dont help the culture, future, development etc.
The biggest difference for me so far this year is that we've actually had a fourth quarter lead in all three games we've played, two of which were in hostile environments. We were ahead with 18.5 minutes to go against the Eagles, we were ahead for the entire fourth quarter against the Roos and we were ahead with 7 minutes to go against the Crows.

This is a group that has already shown that they have learnt from mistakes made this year after their really slow start against the Eagles vs their really strong starts against the Roos and Crows. The next learning is to close out a close fourth quarter game when they have the lead. Funnily enough, I feel like tonight's game against Carlton may provide that opportunity for our players to showcase how far they've come in front of a nationally televised audience.

Get the W tonight and I think we win a lot of respect from the footy world considering the game will be shown live on Channel 7 in Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, Tasmania and the Northern Territory.

I think the club and players need to take more heat for these results. They need some expectations around performances.

I know they have injuries but with that talent they shouldn't lost to us last week and should of won tonight.

It's looking like they might miss the top eight again for the fourth year under Dew.

Last edited:
Dropping Will Brodie looking unbelievably stupid. He's been promising this year, yet they dropped him and couldn't win the inside ball in the last quarter.

Did we ever get a reason for why Solomon was sacked?

Dropping Will Brodie looking unbelievably stupid. He's been promising this year, yet they dropped him and couldn't win the inside ball in the last quarter.

Did we ever get a reason for why Solomon was sacked?
Brodie has been pathetic. Don't want him playing AFL again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back