Roast Gold Coast name and mascot: They got it right (for now)

Remove this Banner Ad

Truckasaurus

Debutant
Feb 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The Gold Coast name and mascot have copped a caning here on BF. But they just might have actually got it right.

Think of it this way. Everyone knows how crowded and competitive the Gold Coast sporting market has become. There's the Titans, the Blaze in the NBL and Gold Coast United in the D League.

The new Gold Coast footy club has a unique marketing problem. They want to be identified as the #1 team on the Gold Coast. But they don't have a team yet, whereas the other codes do.

By exclusively calling yourself the 'Gold Coast Football Club' you do two things. First, you claim ownership of the word 'football'. You present yourself in a way that makes you the footy team on the Coast.

Second, you're telling the locals that this club is all about you and your city. Whereas the NRL is about the Titans, the NBL is about the Blaze and soccer is about GC United, the AFL is all about the Gold Coast. It is the true Gold Coast team.

You might think these are all word games. Yes, you're right. Because words are the foundation of all successful communication. It's what selling's all about. Everything you've ever had in your head has relied on other people's words to get there. The words that GC17 are using to name their club in this current interim period makes it easier for them to sell the idea of a new AFL team to the local press and public. That's their job.

But what about the local fan survey to name the team? Well what about the fan survey? No clear preference stood out, and you have to admit some of the more popular names we're pretty ordinary.

You'd think the Gold Coast team will eventually get a moniker to match it's mascot. You're not going to name the team the Marlins or the Rays if your mascot is a lifeguard, so my money's on the club eventually becoming the Gold Coast Guards. But first comes the establishment phase where all of their press concentrates on building up the idea that this team is the footy club for the Gold Coast. The big one. The one they've been waiting for. The Gold Coast Football Club.

Now as for the mascot....

All mascots in the AFL today are exclusively for tiny tots. They are illustrated by the same artist and are part of the AFL's Mascot Manner promotion. They are designed to be fun and non threatening.

So you thing Gazza the lifeguard is gay? Have a look at who else lives in Mascot Manor:

http://www.aflauskick.com.au/index.php?id=37

You think Bernie 'Gabba' Vegas, Rick 'The Rock' Eagle', Syd 'Swannie' Skilton or Trevor 'Saint' Kilda put the fear of God into opposition fans?

So the GC mascot wears Speedos. What do you expect a lifeguard to wear? Fletcher Jones slacks?

The other key objection seems to be that there's no **** in his pants. So you want him to have a pink dildo sticking out of his crotch? Stuff that into your six year old's Auskick backpack.

Hey I love the hairy mascots of the 70's as much as the next guy. I miss the mutant fish and chip store owner that us blue baggers used to have. But all mascots today have toned down the aggression so that they fit in better with the marketing of the hugely successful Auskick program. Seems strange to be giving the Gold Coast flak for participating in the same kiddie promotion that every other club is an active part of.

If they ever win anything I'm sure Weg will be able to pump out a meaner looking lifeguard for his posters, so don't stress.

The Guards sounds like a good nickname. They could get Tim Robbins and Martin Sheen to be the mascots.

By exclusively calling yourself the 'Gold Coast Football Club' you do two things. First, you claim ownership of the word 'football'. You present yourself in a way that makes you the footy team on the Coast.
That must be what Melbourne Victory Football Club are doing then. Except MVFC is an actual football club and GC(A)FC is an AFL franchise who are being forced onto a city that wants nothing to do with them.

That must be what Melbourne Victory Football Club are doing then. Except MVFC is an actual football club and GC(A)FC is an AFL franchise who are being forced onto a city that wants nothing to do with them.

Eh? The Victory are a fair way from being a real club. It's a privately owned corporation run for profit. No different to your local McDonalds for example.

Hard to tell what the repercussions of this decision will be.

The mascot doesn't bother me too much, as the OP mentioned it's aimed at the kids.

However, chosing the name GCFC is dangerous and it's concerning whether it will work. The fact is, most people on the Gold Coast would think of RL as "football". Therefore, being known as the GC Football Club seems pointless.

In my opinion, they really needed something to atleast set them apart, so the team could be mentioned without having to be followed by "Oh, the AFL club I meant".

On the other hand, maybe a decent nickname like the Sharks will be created. If they become known as the Sharks(which IMO is by far the best name and would've been a shoe in if South Port weren't around) around the Gold Coast, then it could be a good decision.

Only time will tell. Still think it's overly risky going without a nickname in the short term, as the loss of identity is the problem.

Having looked at that Mascot Manor thing Gav doesn't look so gay...how about that Saints guy...the bombers one looks like a mosquito is it meant to?

I think they get it right as well mainly because it buys them time to find a nickname that truly matches. The culture of the club and team may develop an identity that can forge the nickname.

I wish I could "upvote" or "give karma" to the OP. Best post about the GC so far on BigFooty.

Personally, I love the colours. Perfect for the Coast. Secondly, I was very surprised by them not having a nickname, but the more I think about it, the better the decision seems to be.

Go the GC!!!!!

I think you'll find most of the ridicule has come from the 'bay 13'-type posters, who love to hate everything, and enjoy critisising something that has little support to defend itself. An honest reaction to the announcement will take time. As for the target market, the GC itself, let's see if it grows on them.

I think you'll find most of the ridicule has come from the 'bay 13'-type posters, who love to hate everything, and enjoy critisising something that has little support to defend itself. An reaction to the announcement will take time. As for the target market, the GC itself, let's see if it grows on them.

If they had chosen a nickname, they would have been queueng up to bag that too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'll find most of the ridicule has come from the 'bay 13'-type posters, who love to hate everything, and enjoy critisising something that has little support to defend itself. An honest reaction to the announcement will take time. As for the target market, the GC itself, let's see if it grows on them.

Check out the remarks left by Gold Coast locals on the GC Bulletin website - ordinary folk with common sense - not from Bay 13.:mad:

By exclusively calling yourself the 'Gold Coast Football Club' you do two things. First, you claim ownership of the word 'football'. You present yourself in a way that makes you the footy team on the Coast

Exclusive??!! They are ALL called Gold Coast - what distinguishes them is there nickname - Titans, Breakers, Blaze, United

You might think these are all word games. Yes, you're right. Because words are the foundation of all successful communication. It's what selling's all about.

No - selling is about merchandise : kids wearing caps & T-shirts. No child is going to buy that ridiculous 'logo' with GC on it (for obvious reasons, 'GC' is all over the place up here) - they want a shark or a marlin. And let's be honest & practical, any young boy wearing a T-shirt with Gaylord the Lifeguard on it is cruisin' for a bruisin' (no, I'm not homophobic, but young boys are!!!).

The words that GC17 are using to name their club in this current interim period makes it easier for them to sell the idea of a new AFL team to the local press and public. That's their job.

The ridicule, embarrassment and 98% negative response shows they are not selling anything. They are not doing their job.

But what about the local fan survey to name the team? Well what about the fan survey? No clear preference stood out, and you have to admit some of the more popular names we're pretty ordinary.

The Sharks was THE CLEAR early favourite - so GC17 said no! Then the Marlins had an approval rating of 91.1% in the GC Bulletin poll. These were standouts!!

Now as for the mascot....

All mascots in the AFL today are exclusively for tiny tots. They are illustrated by the same artist and are part of the AFL's Mascot Manner promotion. They are designed to be fun and non threatening.

So that means that kids hate the Tigers, Demons, Lions ... does it?

So you thing Gazza the lifeguard is gay?

Yes, that's why he's looking at the ball as though he'd never touch such a gauche object and why his more popular name is Gaylord!

Seems strange to be giving the Gold Coast flak for participating in the same kiddie promotion that every other club is an active part of.

We are giving it (deserved) flak because we love the game and want our new local AFL to be less of an embarrassment.
Did you see Hutchie's live cross on the Footy Show? Being professional, he had the 'GC' logo (that looks red & white from any distance) in camera frame just over his right shoulder. However, as nobody their had the common sense to take advantage of this promotion to about 1 million viewers nation-wide, they allowed people in the backround to just stand in front of logo, completely blocking it from view. Amateurs!

I'm sorry to be so negative to your blog, but contructive criticism is badly require as is a decent Marketing Manager for GC17.:cool:

-Exclusive??!! They are ALL called Gold Coast - what distinguishes them is there nickname - Titans, Breakers, Blaze, United

-No - selling is about merchandise : kids wearing caps & T-shirts. No child is going to buy that ridiculous 'logo' with GC on it (for obvious reasons, 'GC' is all over the place up here) - they want a shark or a marlin. And let's be honest & practical, any young boy wearing a T-shirt with Gaylord the Lifeguard on it is cruisin' for a bruisin' (no, I'm not homophobic, but young boys are!!!).The ridicule, embarrassment and 98% negative response shows they are not selling anything. They are not doing their job.

-The Sharks was THE CLEAR early favourite - so GC17 said no! Then the Marlins had an approval rating of 91.1% in the GC Bulletin poll. These were standouts!!

So that means that kids hate the Tigers, Demons, Lions ... does it?

Yes, that's why he's looking at the ball as though he'd never touch such a gauche object and why his more popular name is Gaylord!

We are giving it (deserved) flak because we love the game and want our new local AFL to be less of an embarrassment.
Did you see Hutchie's live cross on the Footy Show? Being professional, he had the 'GC' logo (that looks red & white from any distance) in camera frame just over his right shoulder. However, as nobody their had the common sense to take advantage of this promotion to about 1 million viewers nation-wide, they allowed people in the backround to just stand in front of logo, completely blocking it from view. Amateurs!

I'm sorry to be so negative to your blog, but contructive criticism is badly require as is a decent Marketing Manager for GC17.:cool:

-Being the GC Football Club does indeed take some ownership. They are the GC Football Club, not one of four in the area. Its not gonna matter that much. That won't be the purpose. Its more the fact of leaving the nickname to come naturally over time as opposed to purposefully leaving it out to go with GCFC.

-When it comes to merchandise, that will come about in 2011 when they enter the AFL. Don't think kids will be buying TAC Cup merchandise. Revisit this in three years time.

-Sharks, Southport, it wasn't going to happen. Unless the GC license was given to Southport, it just wasn't an option.

-The Tiger hardly looks threatening. The Lion looks less like a predatorial 200kg cat and more like Elvis.

-As for 'gay', St.Kilda and Freo look in bigger trouble than 'Gazza' for mine, despite initally laughing at it viewing the Footy Show last week.

-The real promotion comes over the next two years, exponentially rising as their AFL debut comes closer and closer. That will happen. Thursday night won't kill them. If they were entering the AFL next year, perhaps, but they aren't so it won't matter so much.

Initially I sided with you on this; being negative, thinking that they've shot themselves in the foot, but they've taken a gamble, made some I think good decisions (colours and no nickname decision when there was never an overwhelming name candidate [if Marlins was 91% on the GC Bulletin, why was it only 55% on the GC17 site?]) and I think that come 2011, the GCFC will be well placed to suceed in their first AFL season.

I think it'd be great if they became the unofficial Sharks, clearly the best name in my opinion.

Unfortunately, the GCFC would be unable to sell any merchandise with a Shark on it I suspect, due to Southport...

Still, if fans were creative it could work.

My biggest fear is a lack of support leading to NO nickname being created. There is a chance of this happening if they can't get 10k to matches..

Time will tell.

People tend to criticize things that are different and at first i thought what the ?? , but over the last week it has grown on me.

Well maybe they will one day have a nickname, but that Mascot is just one of the worst Mascots I have ever seen, colours are not original, common Yellow, Red, Blue (Crows)? The conservative nature of the Heads in Gold Coast just proves they are not man enough to make an informed choice and pick a nickname and colours that will differentiate them.

If it was me I would name the club Gold Coast Guards based on what the choice was initially given, and team Colours Orange, Baby Blue, and Dark Blue.

Personally I would prefer Gold Coast Chargers or something...

This debate about having a respectable nickname and mascot in order to sell the club to the people on the Gold Coast will be laughable when they make their debut with all those high draft picks, uncontracted players and zone selections.

They will be an instant power, probably for the first 8 to 10 years and there is nothing more attractive and easier to sell than winning.

While the Titans, Blaze, United etc. will be battling it out with mid-table finishes (or worse) and all desperately trying to maintain their market share the Gold Coast Football Club will be winning flags and fans with relative ease.

You can call them anything you like, as long as they win people will support them, and if they become a dynasty, as looks like happening, then they will easily assume the mantle of the premier sporting club on the coast.

This debate about having a respectable nickname and mascot in order to sell the club to the people on the Gold Coast will be laughable when they make their debut with all those high draft picks, uncontracted players and zone selections.

They will be an instant power, probably for the first 8 to 10 years and there is nothing more attractive and easier to sell than winning.

While the Titans, Blaze, United etc. will be battling it out with mid-table finishes (or worse) and all desperately trying to maintain their market share the Gold Coast Football Club will be winning flags and fans with relative ease.

You can call them anything you like, as long as they win people will support them, and if they become a dynasty, as looks like happening, then they will easily assume the mantle of the premier sporting club on the coast.

So I take it you must be a huge fan of the Melbourne Storm. Obviously you jumped on board because they were winners.

bear in mind, not everyone is like you. Despite their winning culture, the Storm struggle to draw more than 10,000 people to home games.

So I take it you must be a huge fan of the Melbourne Storm. Obviously you jumped on board because they were winners.

bear in mind, not everyone is like you. Despite their winning culture, the Storm struggle to draw more than 10,000 people to home games.

Are you kidding? I was talking about marketing an AFL club in a place like the Gold Coast.

How did this become about the Melbourne Storm?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back