Gold Coast - Picks-a-plenty

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see GC want Guthrie either, if he want to come , in ablett deal he would had come .
? Not quite sure what you mean. Right now id say Gold Coast would look at any mature bodies that put up their hand. Guthrie might with the right inducement. Guthrie was not going to get traded when in contract. He is now a RFA... and with the right offer you get him for zip.

? Not quite sure what you mean. Right now id say Gold Coast would look at any mature bodies that put up their hand. Guthrie might with the right inducement. Guthrie was not going to get traded when in contract. He is now a RFA... and with the right offer you get him for zip.
What I mean was , we don't want players that don't want to come , last year ablett deal GC asking for Geelong players and all of them don't want to come. We want players with a heart to play for team , not because of money then they only come .regardless of FA or RFA .I don't know why you keep saying big bodied either , there are plenty of State league players with Mature body waiting for their chance to get draft training full time with minimum wages . ( Tim Kelly , Flitsh , Zac Langdon ), Not one club want to signed Menzel either during FA because of his injuries history . As for Menzel only Geelong know his injuries history and other 17 club refused to take the risk on him .

Last edited:

What I mean was , we don't want players that don't want to come , last year ablett deal GC asking for Geelong players and all of them don't want to come. We want players with a heart to play for team , not because of money then they only come .regardless of FA or RFA .I don't know why you keep saying big bodied either , there are plenty of State league players with Mature body waiting for their chance training full time with minimum wages . ( Tim Kelly , Flitsh , Zac Langdon )

I not intending telling you what you want .. obviously aim for what you like. What I'm thinking when saying big... I have read numerous time you need mids. The thin non big bodies can be gained thru draft , the more mature will probably be big bodied. Sure there are Tim Kellys around.. personally I think Tim would look a bit different in a young struggling side. I feel seasoned mature afl players is what id want to add.

I understand the ideal.. but very few players will say they want to go to the Gold Coast for unders atm. Player have a limited life span. If they are not shooting for a flag then they will need to be compensated for that. This is not isolated to just GC , most clubs struggle to attract players when they are down but pov's can be changed and short term , you might have to pay a premium to do it. Even just last year Melb had to pay thru their teeth to get Lever. If you want players to move , you have to pay a premium.

For eg. If you ever had a look at what Edesrtien did at the Swans..some bad , some good ..but he brought in 4 or 5 guys and changed the on field quickly. I feel you need to buy time while the kids mature , and you don't want them maturing in a thrashed environment each week. Once the results start to turn around the players will be far more likely to look at your clubs as a destination because Im sure Gold Coast would be a great place to live and play footy..especially if they have already had some time in the bubble down south.

I not intending telling you what you want .. obviously aim for what you like. What I'm thinking when saying big... I have read numerous time you need mids. The thin non big bodies can be gained thru draft , the more mature will probably be big bodied. Sure there are Tim Kellys around.. personally I think Tim would look a bit different in a young struggling side. I feel seasoned mature afl players is what id want to add.

I understand the ideal.. but very few players will say they want to go to the Gold Coast for unders atm. Player have a limited life span. If they are not shooting for a flag then they will need to be compensated for that. This is not isolated to just GC , most clubs struggle to attract players when they are down but pov's can be changed and short term , you might have to pay a premium to do it. Even just last year Melb had to pay thru their teeth to get Lever. If you want players to move , you have to pay a premium.

For eg. If you ever had a look at what Edesrtien did at the Swans..some bad , some good ..but he brought in 4 or 5 guys and changed the on field quickly. I feel you need to buy time while the kids mature , and you don't want them maturing in a thrashed environment each week. Once the results start to turn around the players will be far more likely to look at your clubs as a destination because Im sure Gold Coast would be a great place to live and play footy..especially if they have already had some time in the bubble down south.
There is no guarantee paying premium will work though , if eg Gutrie coming in with high wages and perform badly who take the blame , this will affect other player with less paid also .what make you think he can gel with GC teammates.
Lyons ,Swallow all contract end in 2019 , why paid Guthrie type premium.

Last edited:
There is no guarantee paying premium will work though , if eg Gutrie coming in with high wages and perform badly who take the blame , this will affect other player with less paid also .what make you think he can gel with GC teammates.

There is no guarantee on any or all methods. And all may work all may fail.. it depends on how you rate success. All the players know that there is a range of player payments .. you get paid by your value to the team. I agree to a certain degree you are correct , if not handled correctly some players may be put off. Im certainly not advocating they pay for it out of their pockets... but if you grabbed they key players , the leadership group, put them in a room and said . guys we want to bring in support for you , we need to give you help and by doing that we have a better chance for success ... most will see the logic. It would certainly help if GC could get the afl to tick of on an increase to the cap to do it.

num nuts i don't have a afl team i keep telling you that,keep up,or double the meds

I'll say again.a spud in the vfl who is no good is not gonna help the suns. even tony hinted at that yesterday.

Tony wouldn't know who wills was if he sat on his face

This so called spuds a walk up

Already would be in their team

WHY

well he wins his own ball
He's got a big body, as shown with his vfl time

He's tough which they certainly are not
He wants to play and he tackles
And guess what his last spread of games afl level was without doubt eye opening

Hint mate change your avatar or to most here your a carlton

There is no guarantee on any or all methods. And all may work all may fail.. it depends on how you rate success. All the players know that there is a range of player payments .. you get paid by your value to the team. I agree to a certain degree you are correct , if not handled correctly some players may be put off. Im certainly not advocating they pay for it out of their pockets... but if you grabbed they key players , the leadership group, put them in a room and said . guys we want to bring in support for you , we need to give you help and by doing that we have a better chance for success ... most will see the logic. It would certainly help if GC could get the afl to tick of on an increase to the cap to do it.
The is the main thing , increase to the cap , until then all this is just assuming AFL will tick it.

The is the main thing , increase to the cap , until then all this is just assuming AFL will tick it.

It can be done without a cap increase but its much harder to get players to start the ball rolling. Id also try to get the afl to bring in the new FA carryover rule. Players that go some where as a FA , should still be a FA when next out of contract. If they know that.. you may get guys that will say 3 years for 3M and then I have the choice again if I have had enough etc....

they will $$$. but will the other teams be upset? after 5 rounds this year it looked like the suns had turned it around..
I agree with you , i rather they allow 4 more Draftees on the rookie list for the bottom team . They are left over by other club . 4 player at 80k is around 320k . Under one year contract .

Last edited:
Give them extra places on their list, extra salary cap. After first round PPs, maybe two, would give them real currency to engineer trades for mature players who will give them three years whilst the kids develop. Give them first three picks in the Rookie Draft that must be used on state league players.

A drafting/recruiting mix this year of more highly talented kids plus mature heads and bodies. Target players who are fringish at the best clubs and just don't get a good run of senior games to develop. The best clubs often have the best culuture, that's needed at GC. Dew is ex Swans, a number of players there might be useful like Aliir and Newman. McVeigh is playing like he's 25 again but I see Longmire said he's definitely retiring, be a great player/coach for next year.

Suns need more depth, more leadership, more culture. They have to be supported by the AFL who stuffed their entry up badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give them extra places on their list, extra salary cap. After first round PPs, maybe two, would give them real currency to engineer trades for mature players who will give them three years whilst the kids develop. Give them first three picks in the Rookie Draft that must be used on state league players.

A drafting/recruiting mix this year of more highly talented kids plus mature heads and bodies. Target players who are fringish at the best clubs and just don't get a good run of senior games to develop. The best clubs often have the best culuture, that's needed at GC. Dew is ex Swans, a number of players there might be useful like Aliir and Newman. McVeigh is playing like he's 25 again but I see Longmire said he's definitely retiring, be a great player/coach for next year.

Suns need more depth, more leadership, more culture. They have to be supported by the AFL who stuffed their entry up badly.

All good points

A club could/should be eligible for a priority pick (at the AFL's discretion using the KFC mixed herbs and spices) but must be required to trade said pick for an established player. Would give the struggling team an established player whilst more teams would be more willing to trade players.

Just some thoughts

1. Suns have had a fixture from hell. Never sell a home game again. Gold Coast are better than their ladder position.
2. Dew is a good coach and his game style will get better.
3. If Lynch goes it’s not the end of the world. Wright will replace him. Then the Suns will have cap space and top 5 pick in the strongest top end draft in recent history.
4. Weller will get better due to the pressure to perform will be less next year.
5. Kids will get better and minimal loss of senior players who make a difference.

What they should do.
1. Don’t overreach like Weller last year.
2. Focus on midfielders and quality people. Not the flashy types. Use picks 3 and 4 on Walsh, Hately, and Smith.
3. Don’t trade for journey men like Lyons. Only get in delisted free agents or semi retired players like Hodge.
4. Go mature age where possible in the second round plus eg Kelly
5. Trade pick 18 only for a best 15 player, otherwise go for the best slider regardless of role/position.

Don’t panic.

Agreed, I can see Newman, aliir and a couple of other players heading up north.

I fully expect a club like GC to be a bit of a trade broker in this period, as there picks hold a lot of currency, meaning they can end a lot of stalemates.

Might be worth us investigating this option and get some currency out of players, who are talented and may have something to offer another club.

Agreed, I can see Newman, aliir and a couple of other players heading up north.

I fully expect a club like GC to be a bit of a trade broker in this period, as there picks hold a lot of currency, meaning they can end a lot of stalemates.

Might be worth us investigating this option and get some currency out of players, who are talented and may have something to offer another club.

This is true that we hold desired picks but I've watched us pick up too many mediocre players over the years whose heart was never really in it for the club and would hate to see us recruit more hacks that'll only be delisted. We need good players who want to play good footy for the Suns and give it a red hot crack. I would also prefer players under 25 so that our next wave of players can contend for a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back