Gold Coast player tests positive

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why no sporting club on the Gold Coast will succeed. It's just unfortunate for them that the area they are based in is the Las Vegas of Australia - People go there to party. Not to single this guy out or paint the club with a brush that they are all like this, but it is indicative from all the big name experienced players that have gone there and their careers have fizzled, that none of them gave a hoot about the place. They all went there to party and live the life - retire.

What can the Suns do to fix their culture is the question? The only way out is if they move to Cairns. Whilst they are in the Gold Coast, any player that goes there will immediately see it as a Party destination... Forget Bankstown.... we're off to Ibiza!
Huh? Cairns is exactly like the Gold Coast but replace Coke with Ganja. It’s even more relaxed. It’s why all the locals up there drive around at 40km an hour.

Once again I have to say it's time for the AFL to quit the WADA/ASADA code and if possible join together with the other big sporting leagues (NRL, NBL, A League etc) and create a drug policy that is fair and just.

He's not an Olympic athlete going up against the World, he's a young bloke getting 100k a year to play in the NEAFL against plumbers and chippies.

A 4 year ban is just way out of whack. A years ban would allow him to continue his career.

Agree 100%. It's a recreational drug, not so much a performance enhancing one. Would love to know the context of the positive test. Did he go out there and sniff up before the bounce for an edge? Or was it a left over from Saturday night with the boys?

A one year ban sounds about right and he can still have a career. Four years and he's gone to the game for a stupid decision.

Hi, we're from asada. We're here to do a drug test.

Shall I roll up my sleeve?

Nah, we'll just swab your moustache.

Stuart Dew: "I'm sorry, ASADA. The club cannot divulge information about that contracted player's secret, illegal recreational activities".

* Hangs up phone*

Stuart Dew: "Oh, crap, I shouldn't have said he was contracted. Oh, crap, I shouldn't have said it was a secret. Oh, crap! I certainly shouldn't have said it was illegal! [sighs resignedly] Oh, it's too hot today".

Agree 100%. It's a recreational drug, not so much a performance enhancing one. Would love to know the context of the positive test. Did he go out there and sniff up before the bounce for an edge? Or was it a left over from Saturday night with the boys?

A one year ban sounds about right and he can still have a career. Four years and he's gone to the game for a stupid decision.
It is my opinion that the AFL wont want too lose any government funding no matter how small, but also the AFL wouldn't want the game to be seen as drug friendly, despite the fact that in the past the AFL did bring in the 3 strike rule to cover up the games drug problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast are a blight on the comp. Not surprised their players think its just one big party up there, its not like they have anything to play for.

Typical AFL, throw some nobody from a team nobody cares about under a bus to take the heat off whatever is happening at the Pies!

Most expensive line Crossley will ever do, ouch

Yep, young bloke, under the bus, onto the scrapheap, career over and never to be seen or heard from again.

Tossed aside like a bit of garbage so some ******* politician can sit in a press conference and say “we’re WADA compliant!”

Yeah 4 years is a bit extreme.

1 year seems fair. what the bloke is only 19 or 20 years old. The bloke deserves a 2nd chance.

Saying that. People have knee recos and are out for a year too.

1 year is a long time in footy.

Four years is too long. Frankly if you test positive for recreational drugs they should make you attend a rehab program to help you beat the addiction (suspended while you do). That would be a more reasonable punishment and better for society and the player as well.

So a 19 year old kid is getting 4 years for doing a line of coke and Essendon players got 1 year for being injected god knows how many times with a performance enhancing drug yeah sounds fair WADA are an absolute joke of an organisation !

Funny....GCS player tests for cocaine on game day and it's

"4 years is too harsh"
"should leave this ASADA system"

Collingwood player tests positive for cocaine on game day and we see

"Club should be de-registered"
"Eddie should stand down"
"Player should be executed"

He wont get 4 years. 4 years is the maximum for intentional doping for performance enhancement.

He can (and likely will) argue that he didnt take it for performance enhancement purposes - and now the max is 2 years. He can possibly get it reduced some more - but unfortunately, that is the penalty.

It is a problem having 1 code for all sports. It means that where drugs are performance enhancing in some particular sports - they are likely to be on the banned list ... even if they are not performance enhancing in all sports.

Cocaine is performance enhancing in athletics and some other sports if taken in competition - and therefore is likely to remain on the banned list. That means, if you have any of it in your system on game day, and get tested ... you will have a positive test for performance enhancing drugs. (This is considerably different to the AFL's 3 strikes policy for recreational drugs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back