Gold Coast player tests positive

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see the Suns have addressed their culture problems.

This is why no sporting club on the Gold Coast will succeed. It's just unfortunate for them that the area they are based in is the Las Vegas of Australia - People go there to party. Not to single this guy out or paint the club with a brush that they are all like this, but it is indicative from all the big name experienced players that have gone there and their careers have fizzled, that none of them gave a hoot about the place. They all went there to party and live the life - retire.

What can the Suns do to fix their culture is the question? The only way out is if they move to Cairns. Whilst they are in the Gold Coast, any player that goes there will immediately see it as a Party destination... Forget Bankstown.... we're off to Ibiza!

Updated list for those playing at home.

Positive drug tests:

Collingwood: 3
Richmond: 1
StKilda: 1
Freo: 1
Gold coast: 1
Essendon: 0

Let me know if I've missed any!

Essendon certainly are in good company, with Lance Armstrong on the same number.

Once again I have to say it's time for the AFL to quit the WADA/ASADA code and if possible join together with the other big sporting leagues (NRL, NBL, A League etc) and create a drug policy that is fair and just.

He's not an Olympic athlete going up against the World, he's a young bloke getting 100k a year to play in the NEAFL against plumbers and chippies.

A 4 year ban is just way out of whack. A years ban would allow him to continue his career.
I think you will find if we don't sign up to the WADA/ASADA code we would lose our government funding and as we all know money is the AFL's god, and they would sooner throw a player under the bus than give up on funding

Buddy Franklin is probably in his Bondi mcmansion right now laughing his **** off. 4 years? lol, of course it's a fringe player, meanwhile ben cousins, a full blown methamphetamine addict never once tested positive on gameday! Turn it up
Which tells you all you need to know about the AFL's drug policy or lack of it

Maybe, but in the end you either comply with WADA or you don't. If the AFL wants to withdraw from that regime then that's their right, although it'll probably come with a hit to their credibility as well as probably a cut to government funding for any AFL programs.
In one

I think you will find if we don't sign up to the WADA/ASADA code we would lose our government funding and as we all know money is the AFL's god, and they would sooner throw a player under the bus than give up on funding
At the time this was raised with the Essendon stuff I think the AFL get something tiny like 1 million a season from the Australian Sports Commission that would obviously go. The rest of the direct and indirect Government funding that the AFL receive is obviously dependent on 100's of issues not just signing on to the ASADA stuff. I'm not sure this one would be a big issue, especially if you set up some kind of independent body to do the testing and tribunal that could still use the official lab and create some more jobs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, but in the end you either comply with WADA or you don't. If the AFL wants to withdraw from that regime then that's their right, although it'll probably come with a hit to their credibility as well as probably a cut to government funding for any AFL programs.

Never going to happen considering a whole teams been done for doping.....Also Govt would make the AFL pay tax and buy their own stadiums whilst they're at it.....

The woman, described using the pseudonym “W” and the first name “Pamela,” said she went into the hotel bathroom and snorted cocaine minutes before Barber entered her room. She also had used the drug hours earlier.
The two had a sexual encounter that lasted about 30 minutes and they “kissed on and off during that time.” Barber, 22, said no money was exchanged. According to the decision, Barber never witnessed or suspected the woman had used cocaine and he expressly wrote in the Craigslist post he wanted a partner who was “drug-free and disease-free.”

The woman, described using the pseudonym “W” and the first name “Pamela,” said she went into the hotel bathroom and snorted cocaine minutes before Barber entered her room. She also had used the drug hours earlier.
The two had a sexual encounter that lasted about 30 minutes and they “kissed on and off during that time.” Barber, 22, said no money was exchanged. According to the decision, Barber never witnessed or suspected the woman had used cocaine and he expressly wrote in the Craigslist post he wanted a partner who was “drug-free and disease-free.”

Ah, the Martina Hingis defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back