2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Obviously it's unclear at this point whether the NEAFL will survive the current global financial situation but if we do end up joining the VFL in 2021 as a result then I believe that would be a fantastic outcome, not only for our club but Gold Coast footy in general. It's no secret that the standard of football in the NEAFL is a distant fourth behind the big 3 (VFL, SANFL and WAFL) and that has really hurt our ability to develop players. The VFL is the ideal competition for our reserves to be competing in and it will certainly raise internal standards within the club as we adjust to a higher standard of footy with our 2nds. Our best academy kids would get to play a mixture of VFL, NAB League and national championships footy throughout their draft year which would be an awesome pathway into the AFL.

The added benefit for us of the NEAFL disbanding would be that Southport wouldn't be inhibited from being a powerhouse club again. Due to NEAFL rules, the Sharks were forced to forego their reserves team and I think they weren't even allowed to have an U18s team in the highest state level competition so that essentially ruined any chance of Southport developing AFL draftees like they used to (see M.Ashcroft, N.Riewoldt, K.Tippett, D.Beams etc). Naturally, you would expect Southport to start pulling in the highest quality juniors from around the local GC junior leagues and become an absolute powerhouse at all QAFL levels again and that would be an excellent outcome for us with our exclusive access to Gold Coast academy juniors.

Curiously, we are one of two northern clubs to have previously competed in the VFL. We played a season in the VFL in 2010 and finished 10th. The only other northern club to compete in the VFL was the Sydney and their last season was 1999 when they finished 7th on the ladder (just missed the finals). They also had a brief alignment with Port Melbourne in the VFL in 2001-02 but didn't have complete control of the way their players were developed then.

What do you all think about disbanding the NEAFL and joining the VFL?

Last edited:

Obviously it's unclear at this point whether the NEAFL will survive the current global financial situation but if we do end up joining the VFL in 2021 as a result then I believe that would be a fantastic outcome, not only for our club but Gold Coast footy in general. It's no secret that the standard of football in the NEAFL is a distant fourth behind the big 3 (VFL, SANFL and WAFL) and that has really hurt our ability to develop players. The VFL is the ideal competition for our reserves to be competing in and it will certainly raise internal standards within the club as we adjust to a higher standard of footy with our 2nds. Our best academy kids would get to play a mixture of VFL, NAB League and national championships footy throughout their draft year which would be an awesome pathway into the AFL.

The added benefit for us of the NEAFL disbanding would be that Southport wouldn't be inhibited from being a powerhouse club again. Due to NEAFL rules, the Sharks were forced to forego their reserves team and I think they weren't even allowed to have an U18s team in the highest state level competition so that essentially ruined any chance of Southport developing AFL draftees like they used to (see M.Ashcroft, N.Riewoldt, K.Tippett, D.Beams etc). Naturally, you would expect Southport to start pulling in the highest quality juniors from around the local GC junior leagues and become an absolute powerhouse at all QAFL levels again and that would be an excellent outcome for us with our exclusive access to Gold Coast academy juniors.

Curiously, we are one of two northern clubs to have previously competed in the VFL. We played a season in the VFL in 2010 and finished 10th. The only other northern club to compete in the VFL was the Sydney and their last season was 1999 when they finished 7th on the ladder (just missed the finals). They also had a brief alignment with Port Melbourne in the VFL in 2001-02 but didn't have complete control of the way their players were developed then.

What do you all think about disbanding the NEAFL and joining the VFL?

I would prefer to see an afl reserves competition than join the vfl And play as a curtain raiser

I would prefer to see an afl reserves competition than join the vfl And play as a curtain raiser
The AFL won't go a national reserves comp due to the WA clubs opting against it due to costs. Port Adelaide won't move from their Magpies SANFL identity too.

Someone made a good suggestion in the VFL thread. Obviously, the chances of the VFL returning with all clubs look doom and it fair to say that the AFL clubs would take over as an AFL Reserves league- with the addition of the northern clubs, it becomes an Eastern AFL league.

An interesting one is that the Tasmania Devils are due to come into the VFL in 2021 or 2022. Possibly, they get entry into this Eastern AFL Reserves comp.

How would it work?
You align the matches with the senior match ups.

Whoever would play Adelaide and Port Adelaide would play each other.

Whoever would play West Coast would play Tasmania and who ever would play Fremantle would get the bye.

This makes it a 15 team reserves competition and gives Tasmania 'their' team...

NEAFL has been our Achilles heel
Brisbane has managed it by being able to have a list of senior guys happy to play NEAFL
We really haven't had that ,so it's been a killing ground for potentially good 18yo AFL players
There's been some effort to address that with Riska, Swallow senior , Malceski but overall it's been an abject failure
There is not enough talent running around in the NEAFL for our young guys to acquire the skills needed for a senior game
You see players from the VFL able to immediately step up to AFL level
Our guys often look like deer in headlights
Accordingly we're forced to educate players in the firsts or wait for players like Brodie to eke out enough kilometres in the 2's to start being effective at senior level
It's painful
I'm sure there's some other examples, but I'd love to see a list of young Suns players who have forced their way into the senior team based on NEAFL performance rather than just due to our annual injury carnage
In short- a good thing IMO

This makes it a 15 team reserves competition and gives Tasmania 'their' team...
They could go one step further and include an even 16 teams with the NT Thunder in this competition to maintain alignment between NAB League and state league levels in order to create a genuine pathway for NT talent to enter the AFL. Although the Northern Territory isn't technically 'eastern' geographically, I think everyone would be okay with them being included in the 'Eastern AFL'. The Canberra Demons are also an option but I think an NT team would be more competitive and a better fit for this competition.

Either way, joining the VFL would be a really good outcome for us and I think the sooner, the better.

They could go one step further and include an even 16 teams with the NT Thunder in this competition to maintain alignment between NAB League and state league levels in order to create a genuine pathway for NT talent to enter the AFL. Although the Northern Territory isn't technically 'eastern' geographically, I think everyone would be okay with them being included in the 'Eastern AFL'. The Canberra Demons are also an option but I think an NT team would be more competitive and a better fit for this competition.

Either way, joining the VFL would be a really good outcome for us and I think the sooner, the better.
good idea. GWS has a pretty strong connection with Canberra so I can't see Canberra getting a team in this Eastern AFL league.

I’m wondering if anyone has read all the proposals.

One proposal is that the four Northern clubs reserves join together to play as one team in the VFL.

Basically, with 35 player lists, no Northern team will be able to form their own reserve team, even if you include the top 17, 18 and 19 year olds.

That would kill the idea of our academy sides playing in the NAB league.

As mentioned in the article, of course the four northern clubs believe this is less than ideal

One proposal is that the four Northern clubs reserves join together to play as one team in the VFL.

Basically, with 35 player lists, no Northern team will be able to form their own reserve team, even if you include the top 17, 18 and 19 year olds.

As mentioned in the article, of course the four northern clubs believe this is less than ideal
I heard some of the northern clubs respond to questions regarding this in the media and they aren't too keen.

Ross Lyon said there is no way this merged VFL side could work with 4 clubs...

I heard some of the northern clubs respond to questions regarding this in the media and they aren't too keen.

Ross Lyon said there is no way this merged VFL side could work with 4 clubs...
I agree. We’re going to need quite a few of our U19 kids to stay on for their over age year, and the ability to pay the kids match day payments.

I agree. We’re going to need quite a few of our U19 kids to stay on for their over age year, and the ability to pay the kids match day payments.
maybe we could just have players (juniors) playing for experience like it is a rep selection to be playing in the Reserves

Play for the jumper
not the money..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article indicates that the four northern clubs think it's unlikely that the AFL will ask them to do that and obviously prefer the single club model in line with the academy program.

maybe we could just have players (juniors) playing for experience like it is a rep selection to be playing in the Reserves

Play for the jumper
not the money..
The article also mentions the AFL's desire to turn the NAB League into an U19s competition while still keeping the draft age at 18. This would also be ideal for us as we'd be able to retain more 19 year old academy prospects for an extra year and allow them to play a mixture of NAB League and VFL footy throughout the year. If you make the VFL team, you are eligible for match day payments. Pretty simple.

It would be like going back to the old days for the northern clubs where we have three separate teams - AFL side, VFL side (reserves) and U19s (colts). At all three levels our players would essentially be playing against the best opposition in Australia on a weekly basis. It's very much a win for our club as long as the AFL allows the single club model upon entry into the VFL and we retain the right to play our academy prospects in the VFL should we choose to do so. It should also be mentioned that next year (or the year after) it will be standard for Queensland students to graduate from high school at 18 years of age, not 17 like it has been in the past. Therefore, retaining that extra year where the junior prospect can focus on football alone without the distractions of school remains in line with the way things have been in QLD for a while.

Imagine if an academy prospect like Alex Davies had the opportunity to play against the Richmond reserves last year as a 16 year old. Playing against the likes of Jacob Townsend, Noah Balta and Riley Collier-Dawkins would have been huge for his development at that age.

Play for the jumper
not the money..
Heard most of the under 19 players this year were given the opportunity of neafl match payments, train with the senior side and the hope of being the next Kieran Coleman . Will they get that one

The article indicates that the four northern clubs think it's unlikely that the AFL will ask them to do that and obviously prefer the single club model in line with the academy program.

The article also mentions the AFL's desire to turn the NAB League into an U19s competition while still keeping the draft age at 18. This would also be ideal for us as we'd be able to retain more 19 year old academy prospects for an extra year and allow them to play a mixture of NAB League and VFL footy throughout the year. If you make the VFL team, you are eligible for match day payments. Pretty simple.

It would be like going back to the old days for the northern clubs where we have three separate teams - AFL side, VFL side (reserves) and U19s (colts). At all three levels our players would essentially be playing against the best opposition in Australia on a weekly basis. It's very much a win for our club as long as the AFL allows the single club model upon entry into the VFL and we retain the right to play our academy prospects in the VFL should we choose to do so. It should also be mentioned that next year (or the year after) it will be standard for Queensland students to graduate from high school at 18 years of age, not 17 like it has been in the past. Therefore, retaining that extra year where the junior prospect can focus on football alone without the distractions of school remains in line with the way things have been in QLD for a while.

Imagine if an academy prospect like Alex Davies had the opportunity to play against the Richmond reserves last year as a 16 year old. Playing against the likes of Jacob Townsend, Noah Balta and Riley Collier-Dawkins would have been huge for his development at that age.
It’s one thing asking a more developed Alex Davies play.

it’s another asking some 16 year old 65 kgunderdeveloped kid. I would worry about injury for some less mature guys going up against vfl teams.

Another consideration is cost. At a time where cash is tight, we’re being asked to fly our players most weeks for games.

overall. Hugely valuable In terms of player development if we can play as a Gold Coast reserves team but there are some aspects which aren’t perfect.

it’s another asking some 16 year old 65 kgunderdeveloped kid. I would worry about injury for some less mature guys going up against vfl teams.

Another consideration is cost. At a time where cash is tight, we’re being asked to fly our players most weeks for games.

overall. Hugely valuable In terms of player development if we can play as a Gold Coast reserves team but there are some aspects which aren’t perfect.
What I think will happen is that the Suns Reserves team will merge with Southport Sharks and play in the vfl

For this year at least the afl will be chartering flights so there is no chance of players being infected with covid-19 sharing flights with the General public so with a half empty plane we might see reserve sides traveling with the main team if The Victorian’s Eastern AFL theory comes into fruition

For this year at least the afl will be chartering flights so there is no chance of players being infected with covid-19 sharing flights with the General public so with a half empty plane we might see reserve sides traveling with the main team if The Victorian’s Eastern AFL theory comes into fruition
If it is DH with mens games, could they travel together to help with costs?

it’s another asking some 16 year old 65kg underdeveloped kid. I would worry about injury for some less mature guys going up against vfl teams.

Overall. Hugely valuable In terms of player development if we can play as a Gold Coast reserves team but there are some aspects which aren’t perfect.
Obviously we wouldn't roll out ten 16 year olds against VFL opposition. The junior would have to be of a certain standard to even be considered for selection and I'd probably even go as far as to limit the amount of U18 players we can play week-to-week in the VFL. Depending on how they want to do it, we could adopt a similar method to Victoria/South Australia where the club signs 5-10 paid players aged 19-23 purely for the VFL team and the remaining top up spots could be filled by our best academy players. That's probably how I would do it because you still want academy prospects gaining exposure to senior level footy if they are up to the level but rolling out more than 2-4 in one week would be silly.
I think they would have the VFL/Eastern AFL fixtures closely resemble the AFL fixture and that would allow for travelling convenience with the two teams travelling together almost every week. You'd even be able to play the travelling emergencies in the ressies if they aren't needed for the AFL team.
What I think will happen is that the Suns Reserves team will merge with Southport Sharks and play in the vfl
It's an interesting theory but I just can't see it happening. If Southport merged with us they would forfeit all their junior teams and would basically just be handing us their IP for our reserves branding for no real benefit to them. Both parties are far better off having an unofficial link because it means Southport can continue to dominate the state league proceedings and develop juniors for us up until the U18 level and then hand those talented juniors over to us for an AFL career. Port Adelaide had to forego all their junior teams when the Magpies officially became Port's reserves team and that killed the romance juniors like Gavin Wanganeen felt towards the club when he re-joined them later in their career. There is no such thing as a Port Adelaide junior anymore and I'd hate to think we would follow suit on the Gold Coast and kill the concept of a 'Southport junior' who has good memories of playing junior footy on the GC.

Obviously we wouldn't roll out ten 16 year olds against VFL opposition. The junior would have to be of a certain standard to even be considered for selection and I'd probably even go as far as to limit the amount of U18 players we can play week-to-week in the VFL. Depending on how they want to do it, we could adopt a similar method to Victoria/South Australia where the club signs 5-10 paid players aged 19-23 purely for the VFL team and the remaining top up spots could be filled by our best academy players. That's probably how I would do it because you still want academy prospects gaining exposure to senior level footy if they are up to the level but rolling out more than 2-4 in one week would be silly.

I think they would have the VFL/Eastern AFL fixtures closely resemble the AFL fixture and that would allow for travelling convenience with the two teams travelling together almost every week. You'd even be able to play the travelling emergencies in the ressies if they aren't needed for the AFL team.

It's an interesting theory but I just can't see it happening. If Southport merged with us they would forfeit all their junior teams and would basically just be handing us their IP for our reserves branding for no real benefit to them. Both parties are far better off having an unofficial link because it means Southport can continue to dominate the state league proceedings and develop juniors for us up until the U18 level and then hand those talented juniors over to us for an AFL career. Port Adelaide had to forego all their junior teams when the Magpies officially became Port's reserves team and that killed the romance juniors like Gavin Wanganeen felt towards the club when he re-joined them later in their career. There is no such thing as a Port Adelaide junior anymore and I'd hate to think we would follow suit on the Gold Coast and kill the concept of a 'Southport junior' who has good memories of playing junior footy on the GC.
In response to your first point.
Yes, definitely would need some mature 'top ups'. Even this year we had 4-5 academy kids playing regularly, and that was with a list of 45+ players.
If we only had 40 players in the squad will definitely need some older top ups.

Guys like Dirk Koenan, Matt Hammelman who have been close to drafted or spent a bit of time on an AFL list might be willing to travel every second week with the concept that they'll get more exposure to league scouts.

In response to your first point.
Yes, definitely would need some mature 'top ups'. Even this year we had 4-5 academy kids playing regularly, and that was with a list of 45+ players.
If we only had 40 players in the squad will definitely need some older top ups.

Guys like Dirk Koenan, Matt Hammelman who have been close to drafted or spent a bit of time on an AFL list might be willing to travel every second week with the concept that they'll get more exposure to league scouts.
Exactly. Some of the guys that ended up in the VFL like Cooper Portelli, Brodie Foster, Harry Simington and Max Spencer could all be signed as reserve only players to fit into that 19-23 year old top up category to ensure competitiveness for us.

Depending on how they want to do it, we could adopt a similar method to Victoria/South Australia where the club signs 5-10 paid players aged 19-23 purely for the VFL team and the remaining top up spots could be filled by our best academy players. That's probably how I would do it because you still want academy prospects gaining exposure to senior level footy if they are up to the level but rolling out more than 2-4 in one week would be silly.
Pretty much what I was thinking today.

Brisbane and Gold Coast would probably keep a few of our undrafted academy graduates signed on as part timers.

Instead of the kids playing QAFL (the NEAFL probably disbands, and Southport, Redlands and Aspley rejoin the QAFL), they stay on to play AFL reserves for a couple of years.

Would really suit the kids doing Uni full time. Hopefully the match payments equate to something like a part time job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back