2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Option 1- Fielding their own team
Option 2- Aligning with a current VFL club
Option 3- Spreading listed players among more than one VFL Club

Most likely to be an expanded eastern seaboard league including the Swans, GWS, GC, and Lions fielding our own sides.

The AFL view is that clubs could have the opportunity to choose their own preferred model for reserves, and that if they do not wish to field an AFL reserves team – as the northern teams likely will – the Victorian clubs can either form an alignment with VFL clubs or even spread players into two or more of those sides.

I Know. I'm just saying whats cheaper? Can they afford to enter the eastern seaboard comp?
If there is no NEAFL comp, our best option will have to be the eastern seaboard comp even if there is like 16 on the field like AFLW. It is much better than playing meaningless scratch matches against the Lions every week. If they will then say that teams that play the Suns in queensland can bring extended squads for scratch matches, it defeats the notion of not being able to afford an eastern seaboard comp.

I wonder if the AFL is considering no secondary comp
It's a bit of a hangover from the State based days
It's not as if the guys not getting picked for Man U or the NY Jets play for a secondary comp if they don't make the main team
They just keep training on
Would probably be the quickest way to even out the playing field IMO

Feeling the club is dropping the ball on updates of the scratch matches. Actually all clubs are as the season goes on. Must be difficult to be motivated and feel included as the core group are rotated through the ones. It’s a strange season but it must be difficult for players within this group

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Feeling the club is dropping the ball on updates of the scratch matches. Actually all clubs are as the season goes on. Must be difficult to be motivated and feel included as the core group are rotated through the ones. It’s a strange season but it must be difficult for players within this group

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This is why if we were in some sort of competition at least there are motivations there.. this really gives nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More in the HS:

THE VFL will expand next year to take in the NEAFL.
After weeks of speculation about the structure of second-tier football, the AFL announced this afternoon that the NEAFL competition would be absorbed into the Victorian state league in 2021.

AFL clubs in Victoria, Queensland and NSW will be given three options for next year: to field their own teams, strike an alignment or spread their players across multiple clubs.

The NEAFL’s nine clubs — Brisbane, Gold Coast, GWS and Sydney as well as Aspley Hornets, Canberra Demons, Redland Bombers, Southport Sharks and Sydney University — will be invited to join the VFL.

But sources indicated the AFL did not expect them all to take up the offer.

The AFL said second-tier football in 2021 would be a “year of transition’’ reflecting the impact of a reduced AFL soft cap, the level of AFL club investment and resources allocated to men’s and women’s football programs, any Player CBA revisions and any associated impact on player list sizes.

It said it would work towards ensuring greater alignment across all second-tier competitions and increase the alignment with talent programs in each state and territory.

The model for second-tier women’s football in Victoria is under review but it’s believed the VFLW season may be brought forward to operate at the same time as the AFLW.

The AFL is also making changes to the elite junior pathway, with the NAB League Boys and Girls to go from Under 16 and Under 18 levels to Under 17 and Under 19 in 2021.

The national championships will also go to Under 19s.

The draft age will remain at 18 for the AFL and AFLW competitions.

The AFL’s talent pathway team will also assume control of the Victorian Next Generation Academies (NGAs), targeting Indigenous and multicultural players.

Awesome news for our club and Gold Coast footy in general. Having our reserves team come up against AFL standard opposition every week is going to make a big difference for the development of our draftees. Will we retain the right to play academy players as top ups or will we need to sign over 19 players specifically for the purpose of being reserve top ups? I think we're better off having the ability to play our academy players as top ups. I'd hate to think the next Alex Davies that comes along wouldn't be able to develop before his draft while playing our reserves team for in a high standard senior league.

What happens to Southport? I know people have speculated that they will be relegated to the QAFL but the AFL.com.au article seems to imply the NEAFL teams will be given the opportunity to join the new eastern seaboard league (for 2021 at least) should they desire to do so. I'm certain Southport will want to compete in this new league if they are given the opportunity. They turn over big profits every year and wouldn't have any issues affording the travel costs associated with flying to Melbourne every second/third week. Having Southport in the league would also create greater exposure for Gold Coast footy prospects without the restrictions that come with being an AFL reserves team. I guess we'll know whether Southport are going to be involved soon enough.

Awesome news for our club and Gold Coast footy in general. Having our reserves team come up against AFL standard opposition every week is going to make a big difference for the development of our draftees. Will we retain the right to play academy players as top ups or will we need to sign over 19 players specifically for the purpose of being reserve top ups? I think we're better off having the ability to play our academy players as top ups. I'd hate to think the next Alex Davies that comes along wouldn't be able to develop before his draft while playing our reserves team for in a high standard senior league.

What happens to Southport? I know people have speculated that they will be relegated to the QAFL but the AFL.com.au article seems to imply the NEAFL teams will be given the opportunity to join the new eastern seaboard league (for 2021 at least) should they desire to do so. I'm certain Southport will want to compete in this new league if they are given the opportunity. They turn over big profits every year and wouldn't have any issues affording the travel costs associated with flying to Melbourne every second/third week. Having Southport in the league would also create greater exposure for Gold Coast footy prospects without the restrictions that come with being an AFL reserves team. I guess we'll know whether Southport are going to be involved soon enough.
I'd assume that we would have to sign top up 'reserve' team players. That is what the Vic clubs seem to do.

If there is any team in the NEAFL to enter the VFL, my bet is Southport then maybe Aspley- that's about it. Remember when Southport wanted an 'AFL' licence? Getting into the VFL is the next best thing and how good would it be having two Gold Coast teams in the VFL?!

The league said the reserve grade teams linked to the four AFL clubs in NSW and Queensland will continue in the VFL - but the futures of the five stand-alone NEAFL clubs is now uncertain.

Canberra, Aspley Hornets, Redland Bombers, Southport Sharks and Sydney University now have the dilemma of trying to survive in the beefed up VFL or merging with one of the existing clubs.

The clubs also have the option of spreading their top AFL-listed talent across multiple second-tier clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back