AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
depends on the ground.

The ones I've been to:

Preston - Yes
North Port (home ground for the borough) yes

Basically if its enclosed. There is a VFL fee (clubs need to get $$ somehow)

Only ground ive been to that is free is Victoria Park, based on the fact its an open ground and they cant charge.

But its fairly cheap. I ony pay $5 for concession for attending an away game at another ground.

Gosh, you never have been to an VFL game before? And I thought I was a newbie. I only started going a few years back regularly.
[/QUOTE

I went to a Northern Bullants game as a kid then went to VFL GFs.

I prefer to watch my team play than teams I don’t support (live at the ground anyway) which is why I haven’t been to many VFL games

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Just had a look, surely there would be a VFL membership for Victorian Suns considering this

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Random anecdote - I remember paying full price to a Swans/Freo game at the SCG many years back with the sole purpose of getting in to watch the NEAFL team play Sydney while I was down visiting family...

I distinctly remember Kurt Tippett tearing us a new one and losing by like a 100 points, On the brightside the main game was decent but I left at half time to get back down the coast to go drinking with some football buddies.

100% worth it

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Reply back:

At this stage it is too early to know what will be happening around this extended competition. It is definitely a great competition for our club to be involved in.

If we do have any memberships or any further details in regards to the new competition we will definitely communicate this in due course.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Hope we sign decent reserve players.
Can’t have Andrew swallow finding out in the morning he has to suit up to play..

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Are we still able to play our academy prospects in the VFL or will this be entirely removed next year?

Nice to see Southport have been officially included as well. Great news for Gold Coast footy.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Are we still able to play our academy prospects in the VFL or will this be entirely removed next year?

Nice to see Southport have been officially included as well. Great news for Gold Coast footy.

I would think we could play our academy players in this team as I read in the Herald Sun yesterday that the AFL has slashed the salary cap for non-AFL listed player top ups for AFL reserves ($100k in total), clubs must have 6 players aged under 22 playing, and clubs have been told they can top up with 19 yo NAB league players.

This suits most of the AFL and AFL aligned teams, but stand alone VFL teams are filthy that the league has turned into a development competition.

You wonder if someone like Harbs becomes the unofficial playing assistant coach for this team next year. Going to need some mature players mixed with the young talent to be competitive in this revamped league.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
9zPhfAQ.jpg

Here are the academy overagers we've named for next year. Withholding the ones we end up drafting, I assume most of the guys listed above will play the majority of the 2021 season as top ups for our VFL team. They can still be selected to play for our academy team and the Allies team but that only accounts for about 6-7 weeks of the season so they'll likely play another 10-13 games for our VFL team next year.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
9zPhfAQ.jpg

Here are the academy overagers we've named for next year. Withholding the ones we end up drafting, I assume most of the guys listed above will play the majority of the 2021 season as top ups for our VFL team. They can still be selected to play for our academy team and the Allies team but that only accounts for about 6-7 weeks of the season so they'll likely play another 10-13 games for our VFL team next year.
Isn’t Alex Davies in our seniors next year?

Rusca96

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
9zPhfAQ.jpg

Apparently the VFL will be playing in zones next year , wonder how the players will find playing Auskick one week then AFL the next. Seriously that probably killed Josh Schache career playing that stuff as once he reached the big league he no longer had the space to dominate one out

SUN OF A GUN

Senior List
Dec 1, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I was under the impression that “zones” referred to splitting the comp into geographical areas. Not zones on the footy field.
I could be wrong tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was under the impression that “zones” referred to splitting the comp into geographical areas. Not zones on the footy field.
I could be wrong tho.
" The league also confirmed that, at second-tier level, it will trial having three players on each side having to return to zones for each throw-in and kick-in, with the potential to bring it into the AFL in the future. "

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They’ve done it in the nba and g league for some years.
Some of these rules ended up in the main league.
I wish they’d just leave things be, but I’d rather them
Experiment in the reserves than in the AFL

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Looking at our opponents, Southport look very Gold Coast Suns like with their coaching and playing line up.

Coaches- Stephen Daniel (Head Coach- former Suns NEAFL Coach), Mathew Primus (Assistant- former Suns Midfield Coach), Mathew Lappin (Assistant- former Suns Development Coach)

Former Suns Players include Matt Shaw, Ryan Davis, Seb Tape, Andrew Boston, Jacob Dawson, Jesse Joyce, Josh Hall

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The makings of a good neafl side.

big improvement from early in the suns era.

Looking at our opponents, Southport look very Gold Coast Suns like with their coaching and playing line up.

Coaches- Stephen Daniel (Head Coach- former Suns NEAFL Coach), Mathew Primus (Assistant- former Suns Midfield Coach), Mathew Lappin (Assistant- former Suns Development Coach)

Former Suns Players include Matt Shaw, Ryan Davis, Seb Tape, Andrew Boston, Jacob Dawson, Jesse Joyce, Josh Hall

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

There's more than you think. You can add Brayden Crossley, Brad Scheer, Mackenzie Willis and former academy member Kwaybe Boakye to that playing list as well. No doubt they'll be very determined to prove a point when we play them this season.

This was one of the positive outcomes that was expected when the northern academies were established. It was assumed the local clubs which compete in the levels below our AFL side would benefit from greatly from former academy members who choose to stay and you can see the majority of ex Suns on Southport's list come from our academy. It's nice to see ex players who hail from other states like Ryan Davis (NSW), Matt Shaw (VIC), Seb Tape (SA) and Mackenzie Willis (TAS) have also elected to stay on the GC and that kind of commitment will continue to raise the overall standard of local footy here. The same goes for our former coaches like Daniel, Primus, Lappin and even Malceski (Labrador) in the pursuit of raising the standard of local football on the Gold Coast. It's a massive positive not only for the local league but also for our future players because they'll be exposed to a much higher level of teammate/coach at a younger age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back