2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Tuned in half way through the first, my assessment so far.
As a team - Doing ok. Often committing too many or too few players to a contested ball situation. Dogs judging this better. Knowing their team mates better certainly helps with this but they often win it and then have the runners already. Doing alright in stoppages and centre bounces though. No real cohesion between forwards and mids at the moment. Hard to find a target inside 50 unless a quick play or contested mark. Dogs much better at this.

Murtagh and Brodie clearly our best so far.

Murtagh taken 2-3 contested marks, had 4 shots on goal and a beautiful ruck tap to Brodie for a clean centre clearance. Very athletic, needs to continue developing his craft because everyone is athletic at AFL level and can't rely on this alone. Nonetheless, been very impressed.

Brodie been good and a big bodied presence. Like to see him get involved in the forward line - needs to do this to have AFL impact.

Fiorini just looks like another guy out there. Not someone who contributes much to winning football IMO

Murdoch looks like he's just going through the motions.

Rosas, Ace and Harris look quick but need to build up their bodies more - ineffective in traffic at the moment. I don't mind them getting a few minutes in the middle though.

Sharp looks good with ball in hand in space but is a major jogger without the ball, could take a lesson from Brandon Ellis how hard he works to get into position defensively.

Jez Mclennan - just out there, zero impact on the game from what I've seen. Probably defends ok but doesn't seem to have any attacking initiative. Delist material when his contract is up unfortunately.

Fyfe looked decent other than that terrible kick out. Dynamic and athletic. Can definitely see him being an AFL player at some point.

Nicholls looked like a boy amongst men at the moment. Looks a bit like Wil Powell in build.

Haven't really noticed Alex Davies until a few of the stoppages near the end of the half.

Hoefert winning the ruck, generally giving our mids advantage. Playing against against Jesse Glass-McCasker - A 25 year old 198cm former Carlton listed player. Usually a tall defender but playing ruck for the Dogs team with Jordan Sweet's call up to the AFL side.

Bodie Uwland strong but a bit slow. Stylish left foot although decision making a bit dubious to date.

Jack Johnston a bean pole stil - pushed out of marking contests too easily. Gone to ground unneccesarily a couple of times.

Haven't really noticed Bella,

Don't know what Reeves, Smith look like

One thing is at least he has the body to be in the VFL , we really should have qafl top ups as the VFL is a tough man's comp. Some of those kids are being fed to the lions, wait till they play a team like Port Melbourne with weathered 28 year Olds , it will get ugly unfortunately

I agree that having a few mature top ups is important. In saying that Murdoch, Hombsch, Atkins (so far) been pretty Meh so far.

Having Rosas and Ace roving at Clay Cameron or Matt Hammelman's feet would be beneficial for their development for sure.

But we also want to be teaching Bella and Murtagh to play that tall forward role.

It's a fine balance. I also don't know how we can do this logistically in terms of match payments etc. etc.

Davies got a corkie by the looks. Limping around out there with strapping on his right thigh

First time I've seen Jeffries. On in the pink boots - playing forward by the looks.

Sorry to intrude...

Did Davies get that corkie very early? Didn't appear to record any stats after qtr time. Great tackle count in the 1st though.

Well what to make of that.

Brodie was our best
Fiorini did alright in the second half but not damaging at all
Murtagh was impressive. Probably had 10 possessions, 6 marks, 4 shots at goal, did quite well in the ruck

Atkins was abysmal, hopefully just getting some run into the legs.

Rosas showed a few glimpses - when he's playing around the ball though he needs to make those most of his best attributes. He initiated this wrestling / bodying at a stoppage which is at our attacking forward 50 and actually quite open. So much more dangerous on the move - why not run past the contest on the side our ruckman is favoured?

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 1.48.44 pm.png

Of the youngters, Harris and #52 did quite well.

Jeffries seemed to just be on at the end

Lost by 67. Let’s not polish a turd.
About 100 points better than I thought.
Boys actually competed well
Burns my guts that Brodie can't bring that class to AFL level.Maybe another Jesse Lonergan:(.
Fyfe will play AFL.
I am yet to see any evidence for the hype around Jeremy Sharp
He's a lazy runner who runs Ruckman lines and has no leg speed.
Murtagh the surprise packet.
I thought Hombsch was okay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brodie was our best
Murtagh was impressive. Probably had 10 possessions, 6 marks, 4 shots at goal, did quite well in the ruck

Rosas showed a few glimpses - when he's playing around the ball though he needs to make those most of his best attributes. He initiated this wrestling / bodying at a stoppage which is at our attacking forward 50 and actually quite open. So much more dangerous on the move - why not run past the contest on the side our ruckman is favoured?

View attachment 1104682

Have a real worry for some academy kids safety that are going to be thrown in there if we get injuries. From what I saw in the match at least the Bulldogs were playing keeping off stuff, wait till they play a tough VFL outfit that likes to play rough. Think they need to make a rule that if you have been in the Academys in the past you are eligible to play for that clubs reserves throughout your career if not wanted by another VFL team. Would rather a Kwabye, Gilmour or Colenso out there than some 16 year old skinny kid that doesn't know how to protect himself . Some of those ex academy kids are probably better players now too

Have a real worry for some academy kids safety that are going to be thrown in there if we get injuries. From what I saw in the match at least the Bulldogs were playing keeping off stuff, wait till they play a tough VFL outfit that likes to play rough. Think they need to make a rule that if you have been in the Academys in the past you are eligible to play for that clubs reserves throughout your career if not wanted by another VFL team. Would rather a Kwabye, Gilmour or Colenso out there than some 16 year old skinny kid that doesn't know how to protect himself . Some of those ex academy kids are probably better players now too
I like that idea.

Number 54 for instance shouldn't be out on the field. Is about 5 foot 4, literally like playing with 21 men, is never going to be an AFL level player, doesn't help the development of any of our other players - so why play him?

Playing Colenso or Clay Cameron up forward would be so much better for us.

Brodie was our best

View attachment 1104682

52 is Reeves , the Broadie guys rate him better than a couple on our list

52 is Reeves , the Broadie guys rate him better than a couple on our list
Yeah, he was pretty good.
Got a bit of mongrel about him, looks athletic. Mitch Hannan type of role - mid sized that can take a mark but also quick across the ground.

You'd have to imagine he'll continue to get games and if he keeps performing will be a chance to get picked up.
Be good keeping tabs on him

Goodguy72, you've been vocal about Murtagh's involvement with the Suns. what you think of his game today?

13 disposals, 8 marks - few contested, 5 shots on goal, did alright in the ruck

Marked by Zaine Cordy, AFL premiership winner.

Any thoughts?

Pardon the intrusion, thought Brodie and Fiorini played pretty well, Fiorini in particular ran out the game really well + never stopped trying, and that kid who played on Jamarra (Fyfe I think?) definitely showed a bit
Murtagh definitely stretched our defence at times too, some talent there
Atkins and Sharp both looked v avg I've gotta say unfortunately

Semi related to this thread but the Sharks got a 1-point victory over Carlton in their VFL debut. You have to applaud considering they were down 20 odd at three quarter time. Nice to see a local team performing well against this kind of opposition and the majority of Southport's list are former Suns players anyway so we have a little bit to do with their success too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back