2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Next weeks Collingwood game has been announced. We will play them at the Holden Centre 4pm friday
Not many people like the time slot. Especially those who work. Maybe should have made it a night game. There wouldn't have been time to do it the following morning before the senior game.

But I'll be there. Its down the road from me. Somewhere I go to often lol But its a horrible place to watch footy, just the view of the ground, no arial view. I would have preferred vic park.

Not many people like the time slot. Especially those who work. Maybe should have made it a night game. There wouldn't have been time to do it the following morning before the senior game.

But I'll be there. Its down the road from me. Somewhere I go to often lol But its a horrible place to watch footy, just the view of the ground, no arial view. I would have preferred vic park.
Yeah local footy ground vibes!!
I won’t be there unfortunately- I coach on Wednesday and Fridays from 5pm so there is literally no way I can get to it!!! Ahhhh

Why they can't play the reserve game on Sat morning? There is enough time. We play Swans VFL game this Sat morning and the senior game starts 1:45pm - the same as the AFL game against Collingwood. There were plenty of SUNS NEAFL games starting 9:30-10:00am.

Starting to think our reserves aren't that bad and the Bulldogs reserves are just really good!

They beat our 2s by 67 points at the Whitten Oval last week and have just completed a 72-point demolition job on the Giants reserves at Blacktown. The Giants do bat deep in terms of talent on their list and were consistently playing finals in the NEAFL so you'd expect them to perform well at the VFL level too. Jesse Hogan played for the GWS reserves tonight and kicked 4 goals for anyone questioning the quality on the park.

Ugle-Hagan kicked 5 goals tonight which suggests an undersized 190cm Aiden Fyfe did a really good job to keep Ugle-Hagan to 2 goals last week. A few more performances like that in the VFL and I reckon Fyfe will get his chance to debut. It also goes to show how impressive Murtagh's performance was last week! Clearly the Dogs are one of the best teams in the VFL and a standout performance against them should seriously put any player in line for a call up to the AFL.

Starting to think our reserves aren't that bad and the Bulldogs reserves are just really good!

They beat our 2s by 67 points at the Whitten Oval last week and have just completed a 72-point demolition job on the Giants reserves at Blacktown. The Giants do bat deep in terms of talent on their list and were consistently playing finals in the NEAFL so you'd expect them to perform well at the VFL level too. Jesse Hogan played for the GWS reserves tonight for anyone questioning the quality on the park.

Ugle-Hagan kicked 5 goals tonight which suggests an undersized 190cm Aiden Fyfe did a really good job to keep Ugle-Hagan to 2 goals last week. A few more performances like that in the VFL and I reckon Fyfe will get his chance to debut. It also goes to show how impressive Murtagh's performance was last week! Clearly the Dogs are one of the best teams in the VFL and a standout performance against them should seriously put any player in line for a call up to the AFL.
Exactly! A bit of perspective really helps!!

They beat our 2s by 67 points at the Whitten Oval last week and have just completed a 72-point demolition job on the Giants reserves at Blacktown. The Giants do bat deep in terms of talent on their list and were consistently playing finals in the NEAFL so you'd expect them to perform well at the VFL level too. Jesse Hogan played for the GWS reserves tonight and kicked 4 goals for anyone questioning the quality on the park.

I watched the game. Footscray is loaded at the moment. It was only 2 points at half time. In the second half the Giants top ups just fell off the cliff. Pretty sure Hogan will play AFL next week. Ugle-Hagan had a couple of cheap goals but looks good, not strong enough. Sweet mostly dominated in the ruck.

Last edited:

Jesus i turned it off during the third when Dogs were up by 15. Blow-out

I watched the game. Footscray is loaded at the moment. It was only 2 points at half time. In the second half the Giants top ups just fell off the cliff. Pretty sure Hogan will play AFL next week. Ugle-Hagan had a couple of cheap goals but looks good, not strong enough. Sweet mostly dominated in the ruck.
I never take much notice of AFL reserve games as they are contrived and bruise free. A lot of their minutes are controlled so the best players can be taken off even when the game is on the line and they have to play the seniors game plan ie chipping even when a more direct style would result in a much bigger win. One of my mates kids played for bris lion reserves in 2019 and said it was a nightmare as they were playing academy kids and just wanted to let loose but couldn't

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First quarter:

Davies and Sharp disappointing. Davies can get it but can't do anything with it. Missed handballs and kicks. Sharp hesitating on his movements and just turning it over. Expecting more from him when he's in space. Just needs to play on instinct. Sharp looks like he's nearly there, though. Easy fixes for him. Davies still very very raw. Not nearly as ready for AFL as I thought he would be.

Darcy also not hand balling or kicking well when he has it. At this level you expect more from him.

Brodie probably been best on.

Atkins looking and moving better than last week, playing a pure wing role and linking up.

Rosas pretty quiet but just glides across the ground and uses it so well. Has a touch of Harley Bennell with how he kicks inside 50.

Harbrow looks like he's just enjoying it out there.

Fyfe and Johnston looking good as Academy players.

Zac Smith moving well.

Fiorini a few key touches, but nothing too stand out yet.

Second quarter:

Darcy worked into it a bit more, rotating up forward and midfield. Sharking taps and using his pace to burst out of packs. Hitting targets on his short kicks, too. He got us going in the second quarter.

Harbrow having a few shockers. Some very poor plays lead to turnover goals.

Murtagh no-where near it. Thoroughly beaten by McCartin.

Zac Smith working really hard back into defence. Looks to have some good touch, too. If he plays the whole game this week, would think he comes into it next week.

Rosas working more into it. Jeffrey too. These guys are just class with pace. Both of these guys had some great goals in the second Q.

Ace no-where near it either. Lots of development to do with his footy IQ in general in traffic. Really weird decisions to turn back into traffic.

Bella is QAFL standard. Has height and a good mark, but that's it. Good prospect though given his age.

More good stuff from Fyfe. Reads the ball well coming into defence, good size and comes out to provide offence.

Very happy to see the club is live streaming our VFL games. Hopefully they provide live streams of all our home games this year! It's a nice touch for the fans to watch the future stars of our club developing in the 2s.

Commentator was going crazy about a contested mark Murtagh took along the wing a few minutes ago and Patty seems to be playing more in the ruck now.

Tom Hofert also just took a very nice contested mark around the goal square and converted for a goal on a tight angle.

We're up by 11 points now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back