2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bella will end up being at least a Cat B rookie pick for us this year. To have that kind of size at 17 when you're 195cm is a gift. It could be that Bella and Murtagh end up fighting it out for our full forward position for the next 10 years given both have been blessed with massive frames. They can both chop out in the ruck too.
Bella all the way , the problem with a project player is that if they play one game at the acceptable standard they are Wayne Carey. With 22 teams the quality of the vfl competition is way down, check out Brayden Crossleys stats from yesterday, guys like him, Gower's and Hammelman are destroying other sides. Also some of the academy 20 year Olds are kicking multiple goals. Think if you want to be in contention for the seniors you should be getting at least 30 possessions or kicking 4 goals

Bella all the way , the problem with a project player is that if they play one game at the acceptable standard they are Wayne Carey. With 22 teams the quality of the vfl competition is way down, check out Brayden Crossleys stats from yesterday, guys like him, Gower's and Hammelman are destroying other sides. Also some of the academy 20 year Olds are kicking multiple goals. Think if you want to be in contention for the seniors you should be getting at least 30 possessions or kicking 4 goals
I think sustained form is more important than a one off good game.
Coaches need some faith that these guys are going to be able to back it up when they get the call up.

Was very happy to see Murtagh go well last week but think putting him in the seniors after that one game is a big stretch.
Same for those saying Malcolm Rosas is near a debut - the week before he played a lot of midfield time and did nothing.

Brodie worked hard on the inside. Had heaps of the ball. But he is what he is. Never going to be a polished midfielder. Clangers are part of his game. Just needs to reduce them as much as possible. Combined very well with Smith at ruck contests.

Fiorini was decent on the outside. Worked hard through the midfield and always seems to find energy to float forward. Just doesn’t always find the same energy to help out in defence.

Smith was good. Dew’s rusty comments were a bit ordinary. Played his role well. Rucked a lot of minutes. He has more chance limiting Grundy than Graham.

Expected a lot more from Atkins. He should be dominating 2nds footy. Linked up well at times but wasn’t a stand out.

Macpherson is macpherson. Was tough & tenacious. Got a lot of the ball, but like Brodie lacks polish for senior level at this stage.

Fyfe good. Made a few mistakes under pressure but definitely looks like he could be a handy back flanker at senior level.

Bella looked decent up forward. Can clunk a 1 grab which is nice. Good size.

Rosas has pace to burn. A lot of potential floating around the forward line. X-factor player, bit like Rankine. Needs to develop a bit more composure. A lot of AFL qualities though. I like that they are giving him plenty of midfield minutes.

Joel Jeffries is silky. Just needs to get involved more - and also receive better fwd 50 entry. For me he probably has the biggest potential out of anyone in our reserves team.

Last edited:

On the suns website

Interesting best players list

Q1 SUNS 1.4.10 v Swans 2.3.15

Q2 SUNS 6.7.43 v Swans 6.6.42

Q3 SUNS 10.8.68 v Swans 7.9.51

Q4 SUNS 14.11.95 v Swans 12.9.81

Best: Johnson, Macpherson, Rosas Jnr, Sharp, Brodie, Oea, Fiorini

On the suns website

Interesting best players list

Q1 SUNS 1.4.10 v Swans 2.3.15

Q2 SUNS 6.7.43 v Swans 6.6.42

Q3 SUNS 10.8.68 v Swans 7.9.51

Q4 SUNS 14.11.95 v Swans 12.9.81

Best: Johnson, Macpherson, Rosas Jnr, Sharp, Brodie, Oea, Fiorini
I have to assume that's a typo and it was actually "Johnston" who was named in the bests. As in overage academy player Jack Johnston, a 195cm key defender from the PBC developmental system whose father (David) played 66 games for Essendon and Fitzroy. We know we're lacking key defender depth so I wonder if Jack could be a chance to be drafted mid-season if he continues to player well in the VFL? Obviously not if it's at the expense of getting another ruckman in but I think we have a few rookie spots open right now and multiple long term injuries so we could draft more than one player mid-season.

From what I saw yesterday, I would absolutely agree that Fiorini, Oea, Brodie, Sharp and Rosas were in the bests. They were all clicking well but I felt Macpherson was a bit underwhelming considering he's been playing at the AFL level for a while now. I expected more from Darcy.

I have to assume that's a typo and it was actually "Johnston" who was named in the bests. As in overage academy player Jack Johnston, a 195cm key defender from the PBC developmental system whose father (David) played 66 games for Essendon and Fitzroy. We know we're lacking key defender depth so I wonder if Jack could be a chance to be drafted mid-season if he continues to player well in the VFL? Obviously not if it's at the expense of getting another ruckman in but I think we have a few rookie spots open right now and multiple long term injuries so we could draft more than one player mid-season.

From what I saw yesterday, I would absolutely agree that Fiorini, Oea, Brodie, Sharp and Rosas were in the bests. They were all clicking well but I felt Macpherson was a bit underwhelming considering he's been playing at the AFL level for a while now. I expected more from Darcy.
Yeah obviously means Jack Johnston. I haven't watched the reserves game this week but last week he looked like a skinny beanpole that was miles off it.
Very surprised if we took him. Think he'd need a couple of years developing at a lower level.
When do we have to trim our list?

Yeah obviously means Jack Johnston. I haven't watched the reserves game this week but last week he looked like a skinny beanpole that was miles off it.
Very surprised if we took him. Think he'd need a couple of years developing at a lower level.
When do we have to trim our list?
Would say this year the max we would get is 45, would say Brodie, MacPherson , Murdoch Hombsch , Harbrow are almost certain departures bringing the number to 44

Would say this year the max we would get is 45, would say Brodie, MacPherson , Murdoch Hombsch , Harbrow are almost certain departures bringing the number to 44

Murdoch(28), Hombusch(28) and Harbrow(32) agree.
Brodie(22), still very good depth, and gets the ball
Macpherson(23) - was 3rd B&F 2.5 years ago
We just throw away any development we have put into kids at times. Was 2MP okay today? Don’t have to pay them a fortune to keep them on the list

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty poor we haven’t released our reserves team sheet yet considering the game is 4pm today.
Its strange. Pies always release theirs the day before, even if you discover who will play, so who wont play tomorrow.

I'll be heading down there to watch in a couple hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nice find from Brodie and excellent finish big Bella

Interesting that Joel Jeffries actually looked taller than him when standing next to each other, Jeffries still growing??

nice find from Brodie and excellent finish big Bella

Interesting that Joel Jeffries actually looked taller than him when standing next to each other, Jeffries still growing??

Jeffreys may just grow into a high quality mobile centre half forward.

Brodie working very hard. Just lacks the polish with his disposals.

Shocking camera angle on the live stream :/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back