Expansion Gold Coast review

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Flying under the radar with Bucks/Hodge news.

This is long overdue for a club that has failed to launch twice now.

Hoping to hear from Suns' fans on their expectations of what this will involve, what the outcomes will/should be and the wish list for Rd1 2018.

My assessment:
GCS have puzzled me with their inability to achieve consistency
Lynch & Wright should be the most dangerous fwd combo in the comp
Backline has good balance of talls (May/Thompson/Leslie) & dash (Harbrow/Saad/KK).
Midfield oozes talent, both experienced and young, in Ablett, Lyons, Hall, Miller, Fiorini, Swallow, Hanley and Martin (plus Bowes, Scheer, Scrimshaw and Brodie in the wings).

This team should be good enough to be top 8-10.

I thought they had a good 2016 off-season with the players and picks they gained (Hanley and Lyons addressed the need to replace JOM & Prestia leaving).

When i watch, they strike me as a team with no actual plan or structure, other than get ball, run then work out what to do.
Yet when they execute a flowing, organised play, it looks amazing and worthy of a top 4 side.

For mine, i think Buckley could be the answer.
With Evans running the footy stuff for a few stable years, he'd have a complete list with good balance to implement his philosophy.
He's also younger than Eade and an experienced new school coach.

Following this with interest.
Suns strike me as a sleeping giant that need the right kickstart to really dominate.

Your guess is as good as mine as what the future holds. You are correct in acknowledging that the side has produced amazing and abysmal football. The abysmal football is truly something to behold - I don't know how you explain it, all semblance of structure appears to fall away for no apparent reason. It seems like there is a lot of upside... More now than at the end of the McKenna era.

Toss of a coin which way it goes. FWIW the four first rounders from the 2016 draft were all happy to extend their contracts, and May has re-signed, so it can't be all bad.

Peter Wright is super frustrating, just can't take a grab to save his life at the moment. Has had a few good moments though, standout being kicking the sealer in the game v West Coast. It's comforting to know he's capable of standing up when the game is on the line in that kind of situation I guess. Why can't he do it on a regular basis?!?!?!

They Remind me of freo in the 1st few years without constantly trading their 1st rounders.

Freo started in 1995 and didn't play finals until 2003 and didn't get a finals win until 2006. Suns came into the comp in 2011. Its 2017, they should have a lot of 23-26 year olds with 100 games under the belt

Lost their best young players through raids and homesickness. Didn't recruit any genuine leaders and the young blokes are just starting to build themselves into leaders.
I think Touk Miller, May and Lynch are fantastic young leaders but it's a bit hard to cut the head off of a chook if it never grew the head in the first place.
Still have faith the club will come right but it's been a stark contrast to GWS.

As a contrast:

From the start GWS seemed to recruit "hard'n'tough" footballers that made me take notice, even some of their young recruits.

And since GWS supporters have impressed me with their footy knowledge and commitment.

Even GWS theme song was better thought out in it's construction, and is not too bad. I can't even remember hearing the SUN's song.

The AFL are to blame for whoever they let run this project.

This team is an absolute waste of money so far. It needs some seriously good new management.

They need to do a GWS and add some experienced players to build culture and leadership. They really should have been talking to Hodge and see if he wanted to do a year playing up there.

Some senior players they should look at.
Bernie Vince at Melbourne
Leigh Montagna
Jarrad McVeigh

Get 2 of those guys in for a season and get rid of Ablett. Don't think their midfield has stood on its own 2 feet before.
Also need Paul Roos. He can turn that club around

They need to do a GWS and add some experienced players to build culture and leadership. They really should have been talking to Hodge and see if he wanted to do a year playing up there.

Some senior players they should look at.
Bernie Vince at Melbourne
Leigh Montagna
Jarrad McVeigh

Get 2 of those guys in for a season and get rid of Ablett. Don't think their midfield has stood on its own 2 feet before.
Also need Paul Roos. He can turn that club around
Nick Riewoldt another they should speak too as he grew up on the Gold Coast

Made the argument elsewhere.

The first person out the door needs to be Scott Clayton. He stuffed the list from day dot. Recruited outside types from the word go. That 2011 GC side really had four players who really could play as true inside mids total - Prestia, Swallow, Ablett and Rischitelli. Every other midfielder was an outside flaky type or hadn't emerged yet. Lonergan is the only real one that has come on somewhat as an inside player.

And until last year, they had only recruited one since, via trade OR draft - O'Meara. Last year they finally traded for two in Barlow and Lyons after having lost one of the above four, plus JOM who wasn't on the park anyway. Fiorini has shown he can do it, but wasn't necessarily recruited for the role.

Some clearance numbers:

vs Sydney: Swallow 9, Lyons 5, Miller 5, Witts 4
vs North: Lyons 10, Ablett 10, Swallow 9, Lonergan 5, Witts 5
vs St Kilda: Lyons 7, Lonergan 4, Witts 4, Martin 3
vs Carlton: Lyons 6, Ablett 4, Barlow 4, Witts 3, Joyce 3

They have drafted one home-grown consistent inside midfielder who has stayed. One. There is no reward for effort as an inside mid at the Suns. You get pummeled into the ground, get told to do the heavy lifting, get no support from list management or recruiting and then get bashed around on the inside more often than not.

I actually didn't realise how lopsided it was towards those players until I actually looked at the numbers either. It's staggering that they have not drafted one inside mid who has remained at the club and developed since they brought in Lonergan in the 2012 draft.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this have to do with Scott Clayton?

He's got a track record. He did the same thing at the Dogs.

Ask any Bulldogs supporter. Clayton left to help set up the GC in 2010. At the time, the Doggies were similarly reliant on a much older, inside brigade, and would draft a lot of outside types. Guys like Jason Tutt, Jarrad Grant, Liam Jones, Sam Reid (the GWS one) and Josh Hill are all examples. Yes, he nailed some - Cal Ward, Ryan Griffen, Shaun Higgins - but he whiffed on a lot more. Many of them being these outside types, particularly towards his later years at the Dogs.

The guy can't draft anymore. He could when he set up the Lions in the 1990s, but that's twenty years ago now. And yes, when you nail Voss, Black, Akermanis, Power et al you really don't need to draft inside support. But when you don't have the toughest bunch of bastards in a long long time in your midfield you need to get them support, and he just doesn't do that.

Sack Scott Clayton, bring in some talent identification on some coin (as long as they aren't named Jason Taylor) and then go from there.

Flying under the radar with Bucks/Hodge news.

This is long overdue for a club that has failed to launch twice now.

Hoping to hear from Suns' fans on their expectations of what this will involve, what the outcomes will/should be and the wish list for Rd1 2018.

My assessment:
GCS have puzzled me with their inability to achieve consistency
Lynch & Wright should be the most dangerous fwd combo in the comp
Backline has good balance of talls (May/Thompson/Leslie) & dash (Harbrow/Saad/KK).
Midfield oozes talent, both experienced and young, in Ablett, Lyons, Hall, Miller, Fiorini, Swallow, Hanley and Martin (plus Bowes, Scheer, Scrimshaw and Brodie in the wings).

This team should be good enough to be top 8-10.

I thought they had a good 2016 off-season with the players and picks they gained (Hanley and Lyons addressed the need to replace JOM & Prestia leaving).

When i watch, they strike me as a team with no actual plan or structure, other than get ball, run then work out what to do.
Yet when they execute a flowing, organised play, it looks amazing and worthy of a top 4 side.

For mine, i think Buckley could be the answer.
With Evans running the footy stuff for a few stable years, he'd have a complete list with good balance to implement his philosophy.
He's also younger than Eade and an experienced new school coach.

Following this with interest.
Suns strike me as a sleeping giant that need the right kickstart to really dominate.
Ablett said it himself this year we are quite similar to Geelong in 2006, things can turn quickly and have faith that Evans will know what to do. The idea we don't have enough tough nuts i find strange, we just added Barlow, Lyons, Brodie, Miller in the last few drafts or trade periods. with so much inconsistency in the team through the past 3 years a proper backup gameplan can't work. Last year it was about our big three forwards with Day, Wright and Lynch. With Day out for the year Wright has had to take the second forward and we haven't been as dominate. Our midfield also has changed so much. Swallow only just getting fit this year, Rischa and Barlow being injured and different times and Hanley not getting a good run means our whole midfield dynamic has changed each week. Our Rookies were being through in with little experience. Fiorini is only 20 and average mid 20 disposals each week. All players should be able to come in and perform but i think you can put our inconsistencies down to this.

Ablett said it himself this year we are quite similar to Geelong in 2006, things can turn quickly and have faith that Evans will know what to do. The idea we don't have enough tough nuts i find strange, we just added Barlow, Lyons, Brodie, Miller in the last few drafts or trade periods. with so much inconsistency in the team through the past 3 years a proper backup gameplan can't work. Last year it was about our big three forwards with Day, Wright and Lynch. With Day out for the year Wright has had to take the second forward and we haven't been as dominate. Our midfield also has changed so much. Swallow only just getting fit this year, Rischa and Barlow being injured and different times and Hanley not getting a good run means our whole midfield dynamic has changed each week. Our Rookies were being through in with little experience. Fiorini is only 20 and average mid 20 disposals each week. All players should be able to come in and perform but i think you can put our inconsistencies down to this.

I'm sorry I need to stop you there
That 'similar' to this team is a load of bullshit.

Lewis said we were similar to the 07 Hawks.
Palmer said Carlton were similar to the 14/15 giants
I'm sure others have said the same crap.

However GC do have all the pieces on their list minus inside mids as striker said

I'm sorry I need to stop you there
That 'similar' to this team is a load of bullshit.

Lewis said we were similar to the 07 Hawks.
Palmer said Carlton were similar to the 14/15 giants
I'm sure others have said the same crap.

However GC do have all the pieces on their list minus inside mids as striker said
Yeah but they haven't indicated they want to leave the next year. The point is we have beaten good teams but lost to bad ones. Just have to find consistency i don't think that's crap. Lyons has been a great inside mid since coming. Brodie was a top 10 pick who should come good. Miller is another. Ainsworth could get to that role as well in a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but they haven't indicated they want to leave the next year. The point is we have beaten good teams but lost to bad ones. Just have to find consistency i don't think that's crap. Lyons has been a great inside mid since coming. Brodie was a top 10 pick who should come good. Miller is another. Ainsworth could get to that role as well in a few years.
The fact that you have picked two inside mids total in the previous five drafts is the bigger problem for mine. As I said, Scott Clayton should be goneski.

Wasn't ment to be a slight on the GC more that I find those statements quite crap.
Of all the potential vacant jobs GC would have to be the most appealing because there is so much talent there to work with

Wasn't ment to be a slight on the GC more that I find those statements quite crap.
Of all the potential vacant jobs GC would have to be the most appealing because there is so much talent there to work with
Yeah i see what you mean, We can still get to 10 or 11 wins this year if so then it would be our best ever season so i think it's worth waiting anyway. I think staff should get sacked only if a better one is out there. With Evans connections i'm sure he has a plan. I've met the guy myself and certainly makes me safer about the future.

The fact that you have picked two inside mids total in the previous five drafts is the bigger problem for mine. As I said, Scott Clayton should be goneski.
I don't think one position is the be all. If Prestia and O'Meara stay fit we would have help in the areas as well. I hope Clayton stays because he works great (at least with the Suns) with late picks. Saad was plicked from coburg when everyone could have got him. I couldn't imagine the team without him. Witts and Lyons could go top 3 in our B&F and we gave up almost nothing for them. Hall and Joyce are some others from the rookie draft. I agree our initial build wasn't great but it was such a difficult task and i'm sure some prospects told the clubt they didn't want to come to a new club before the draft eg Heppell. All 5 draftees re-signing before round 1 till 2020 i think got overlooked as well for a QLD club that's massive.

I don't think one position is the be all. If Prestia and O'Meara stay fit we would have help in the areas as well. I hope Clayton stays because he works great (at least with the Suns) with late picks. Saad was plicked from coburg when everyone could have got him. I couldn't imagine the team without him. Witts and Lyons could go top 3 in our B&F and we gave up almost nothing for them. Hall and Joyce are some others from the rookie draft. I agree our initial build wasn't great but it was such a difficult task and i'm sure some prospects told the clubt they didn't want to come to a new club before the draft eg Heppell. All 5 draftees re-signing before round 1 till 2020 i think got overlooked as well for a QLD club that's massive.
If they stay fit you have the bare minimum for a functioning inside brigade.

I'm going to use Melbourne as the current example as the side I know best for obvious reasons. The game against the Suns in Alice Springs specifically.

For centre clearance work, you had the following who could go in there and have a likelihood of making a contribution in terms of a clearance (not including rucks): NJones, Lewis, Vince, Oliver, Viney, Tyson, Neal-Bullen, Harmes, Melksham, Salem, Garlett, Hannan, Petracca. That is admittedly a clearance-focused gameplan, but in terms of raw numbers of players it's pretty major.

Do the Suns have that level of rotation? No. At full strength, you would say Lyons, Ablett, Rischitelli, Hall, Miller, Lonergan, Swallow, Fiorini, Barlow as the only ones who you would guarantee in having an impact. Ablett is 33 and probably going to Geelong, Rischa is coming off an ACL and I honestly don't know if he'll play this year, Swallow can barely stay fit, Hall is flaky as hell, Barlow just copped another horror and is probably gone for half of 2018 too.

The kids you have drafted are great. I really rate Brodie. But it's not enough.

If you wanted one player to throw the coin and picks at (depending on what happens with the Josh Kelly deal) - honestly, I'd be throwing it at Ben Cunnington.

We always struggle at Sydney. But I'm all for sacking Eade Iv been saying that for the last 3 seasons that he is not the man we need and Marcus Ashcroft couldn't lead lead a horse to water either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always struggle at Sydney. But I'm all for sacking Eade Iv been saying that for the last 3 seasons that he is not the man we need and Marcus Ashcroft couldn't lead lead a horse to water either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We really need to look at our gameplan as well.
When our plan A falls apart we have nothing to fall back on.
The handball/running it out of our backline is fine in theory but when you cant execute simple handballs
or handballing it to a poor position it really does no favours for our forwards who dont know when the ball is going to be kicked.
I really feel sorry for the likes of Lynch and Wright who have no idea whats going on when we try and rebound the ball.

Eade has been great, but I feel a new coach is needed to provide a new start as the list is capable of playing finals football. I've said it before, if GC had the same fight and game plan as the Blues right now due to the coaching of Bolton, they would be a top 6 side with the talent they have. Also, as said a player like Cunnignton would do wonders for the Suns, the only problem is getting blokes to come up. Cunnington and Rockliff are the two I would throw the kitchen sink at.

Lot of people in here blaming scot Clayton. I liken it to my feelings about chris pelchen when he was at the saints. Club nearly ended up in a black hole thanks to him and his lis management/recruiting decisions. GC however put tocmuch emphasis on Ablett thinking he was the be all and end all and would win them a premiership on his own. Look st hawthorn early this season and how much they struggled when their prominent ball winners were moved on. Seems sort of similar here. The afl have failed big time though, recruiting has been woeful, if they hadn't pumped serious money into redeveloping Carrara, they'd be elsewhere by next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back