Gold Coast Sale

Remove this Banner Ad

Lonergan would be a good get for a club like Carlton or Essendon who need inside grunt players, saw a lot of him in the TSL as a junior playing against men because a mate of mine played with him, has serious talent, not entirely surprising that he hasn't capitalised on it up there given the shambles GCS are.

Anyone know what's happened with Rory Thompson? Injuries/form or both? he was really good a few years ago IIRC

Lonergan would be a good get for a club like Carlton or Essendon who need inside grunt players, saw a lot of him in the TSL as a junior playing against men because a mate of mine played with him, has serious talent, not entirely surprising that he hasn't capitalised on it up there given the shambles GCS are.

Anyone know what's happened with Rory Thompson? Injuries/form or both? he was really good a few years ago IIRC
Go watch some of his afl games instead..
Gets given an opportunity and turns it over literally.
But hey if you wanna kick the club while it's down go for it.

What do people see Aaron Hall's trade value as? He's someone North has shown interest in in the past, wouldn't mind us having another look. He has a lot of what we lack, but his deficiencies are pretty well known at this point as well.

He was a massive unit at 17

His average speed and poor disposal have really held him back thus far. Lost a lot of weight last pre-season to try improve his tank and become a best 22 mid but still struggled this year. Like Hallahan & Shaw, gets plenty of the ball in the reserves but can't replicate that in the seniors.

Wants to stay, but no contract offered.

As with all of guys out of contract (and some in contract), waiting on the new coach to be appointed and make decisions.

What do people see Aaron Hall's trade value as? He's someone North has shown interest in in the past, wouldn't mind us having another look. He has a lot of what we lack, but his deficiencies are pretty well known at this point as well.

Hard to value?

Offensively he is a gun. Great pace out of the middle, kicking goals on the run from outside 50. Big accumulator.

Defensively he is fairly ordinary. Slowly improving this side of his game but still a liability. Disposal can be dodgey.

Contracted and a top 3 mid at the club. Late 1st or early 2nd I guess?

But more likely Suns will want a mature best 22 player if they decide to trade. New coach may want to keep him though. Will find out soon enough.

Hard to value?

Offensively he is a gun. Great pace out of the middle, kicking goals on the run from outside 50. Big accumulator.

Defensively he is fairly ordinary. Slowly improving this side of his game but still a liability. Disposal can be dodgey.

Contracted and a top 3 mid at the club. Late 1st or early 2nd I guess?

But more likely Suns will want a mature best 22 player if they decide to trade. New coach may want to keep him though. Will find out soon enough.
With the suns looking for mature midfielders and leadership, I reckon a trade involving Andrew Swallow (plus a pick swap, probably in your favour) might be on the cards. While he struggled early in the year, he was back to his best by the end and you won't find a better leader for a young group, both on and off field. Looks like a potential win-win scenario and allows Spitta to play with his brother which he apparently has always wanted to do.

With the suns looking for mature midfielders and leadership, I reckon a trade involving Andrew Swallow (plus a pick swap, probably in your favour) might be on the cards. While he struggled early in the year, he was back to his best by the end and you won't find a better leader for a young group, both on and off field. Looks like a potential win-win scenario and allows Spitta to play with his brother which he apparently has always wanted to do.
Would be surprised if Swallow has more than one more year in him. His last couple of years he's looked really slow and he's turning 31 next year.

Not sure if he's the way forward for Gold Coast.

Would be surprised if Swallow has more than one more year in him. His last couple of years he's looked really slow and he's turning 31 next year.

Not sure if he's the way forward for Gold Coast.

Probably a good get from a leadership perspective / maybe transition into a coaching role and probably helps them hang onto his brother but I would have thought his trade value would be minimal. Slight pick upgrade?

Probably a good get from a leadership perspective / maybe transition into a coaching role and probably helps them hang onto his brother but I would have thought his trade value would be minimal. Slight pick upgrade?
He's averaged around 20 disposals over the last couple of years with little competition for midfield spots. Can't see him improving on this at 31.
Not sure if hes a coach in waiting but I wouldn't think the Suns would see him as a viable option in their starting midfield.

Hopefully he stays the course at Kangaroos.

He's averaged around 20 disposals over the last couple of years with little competition for midfield spots. Can't see him improving on this at 31.
Not sure if hes a coach in waiting but I wouldn't think the Suns would see him as a viable option in their starting midfield.

Hopefully he stays the course at Kangaroos.

One thing GWS did well that GC didn't though was picking up guys who had either retired or were just about to retire (James McDonald, Chad Cornes etc) to come on board early and play ~15 games a year and lead the young group. I could see Swallow as playing that role for them, I've always thought he was a mediocre plodder but he must have leadership credentials and he can win inside ball unlike most of GC list. I can see merit in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing GWS did well that GC didn't though was picking up guys who had either retired or were just about to retire (James McDonald, Chad Cornes etc) to come on board early and play ~15 games a year and lead the young group. I could see Swallow as playing that role for them, I've always thought he was a mediocre plodder but he must have leadership credentials and he can win inside ball unlike most of GC list. I can see merit in it.
He's not a mediocre plodder, for one he's 4th in the all time VFL/AFL tackles list, and at his best was a gun inside mid. While there's no doubt he has dropped off since his Achilles injury a few years ago, in the back half of this year he was playing as good football as he has in 5 or so years, and looked to have regained some of his zip out of the contest.

The problem at North is that we have too many purely inside players, which means Swallow has been forced to play more outside roles in recent years which he is completely unsuited for. He isn't quick, and his disposal by foot is frankly quite poor, but when allowed to play his natural position he is still a very good extractor and there is no one tougher or more committed to the contest. He gives 100% of himself to everything he does, which is why I'd be sad to see him leave North, however I think he'd be a good investment for Gold Coast, who desperately need someone with his kind of physicality and leadership in the middle, plus he has expressed a desire to play with his brother, so I thought a trade for Hall might be a win win.

Last edited:
He's not a mediocre plodder, for one he's 4th in the all time VFL/AFL tackles list, and at his best was a gun inside mid. While there's no doubt he has dropped off since his Achilles injury a few years ago, in the back half of this year he was playing as good football as he has in 5 or so years, and looked to have regained some of his zip out of the contest. The problem at North is that we have too many purely inside players, which means Swallow has been forced to play more outside roles in recent years which he is completely unsuited for. He isn't quick, and his disposal by foot is frankly quite poor, but when allowed to play his natural position he is still a very good extractor and there is no one tougher or more committed to the contest. He gives 100% of himself to everything he does, which is why I'd be sad to see him leave North, however I think he'd be a good investment for Gold Coast, who desperately need someone with his kind of physicality and leadership in the middle, plus he has expressed a desire to play with his brother, so I thought a trade for Hall might be a win win.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Or, they can pick Swallow up as a delisted free agent since he's 30, out of contract and his time with North is over, While Hall is one of GC's top midfielders.

What happened to Matera, looked the goods early. I'd be keen to have him on the list.
He's been gone since Mid-year. has no desire to return to GC, club was aware he was going back home

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Or, they can pick Swallow up as a delisted free agent since he's 30, out of contract and his time with North is over, While Hall is one of GC's top midfielders.
1. Swallow isn't out of contract, and wouldn't be delisted anyway as he's been playing good footy in the second half of the year
2. If you bothered to read my posts, I said Swallow and a swap of picks in GC's favour for Hall

Nothing too exciting in that list.

Would be keen on Ah chee.

Masten plus pick 30 plus next years Eagles 2nd for Ah chee and Gold Costs 3rd rounder this year.

Suns then have pick 2 and then 5 second round picks this year plus another 2nd rounder banked for 2018.

Tom Nicholls has shown some glimpses, however appears to be injured most of the time. Would a 3rd/4th round pick suffice? Wouldnt mind him at the Blues to bolster our ruck stocks.

Tom Nicholls has shown some glimpses, however appears to be injured most of the time. Would a 3rd/4th round pick suffice? Wouldnt mind him at the Blues to bolster our ruck stocks.

Seems about his value at the moment

Masten plus pick 30 plus next years Eagles 2nd for Ah chee and Gold Costs 3rd rounder this year.

Suns then have pick 2 and then 5 second round picks this year plus another 2nd rounder banked for 2018.
Masten is worth a rookiepick at best.
Can't get a game in a shocking midfield.
Is almost worth negative points

Or they could have Pick 2, Ah Chee and a 3rd round pick, which is way better than your suggestion. I don't know why you mentioned pick 2 to made the deal look sweeter - they have pick 2 anyway. Ah Chee is a very good talent, you'll be losing at minimum a first round pick.

Or they could have Pick 2, Ah Chee and a 3rd round pick, which is way better than your suggestion. I don't know why you mentioned pick 2 to made the deal look sweeter - they have pick 2 anyway. Ah Chee is a very good talent, you'll be losing at minimum a first round pick.

I didn't link pick 2 to the deal I was just listing all of the draft picks GC would have after the deal. Which is a pretty decent war chest of picks to either use or trade with.

Also players don't get traded unless they want to so the assumption is Ah chee requests a trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back