Opinion Gold Coast should be allowed to pay Ben King outside the Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the small limited reward for giving up recruiting zones and access to junior players.

GC benefits far more from Victoria producing players than players wanting to go home.

That is like saying Australia benefits from Germany making a lot of cars.

In fact it is worse as at least the Mercedes C class doesn't ask to go back to Germany after 3 years.

That is like saying Australia benefits from Germany making a lot of cars.

In fact it is worse as at least the Mercedes C class doesn't ask to go back to Germany after 3 years.

What a strange analogy.

Victorian clubs have far far less access to junior players than GC.

If GC can't take advantage of that then that's their failure. No need to give them even more advantages.

What a strange analogy.

If GC can't take advantage of that then that's their failure. No need to give them even more advantages.

Um what? Victorian clubs can draft exclusively from Victoria if they want, pretty easily in fact. Gold Coast clearly can't.

What a strange analogy.

They have been given almost every concession possible, across their entire lifetime, and have not been able to achieve. Sporting clubs on the GC die there. Every time they've struggled they've been given draft picks, list size concessions, and do stuff all with them. Need an off field overhaul before worrying about extra cash for players.

What a strange analogy.

Retention more than drafting is the main problem for Gold Coast, which is why my suggestion has merit.

Retention more than drafting is the main problem for Gold Coast, which is why my suggestion has merit.

Money isn't the issue for GC, it's club loyalty.

Paying them more money just keeps players around not for the love of the club but for the money. That's not how you build a successful club culture.

I'm baffled that Gold Coast aren't a destination club. What 20yo with money to burn wouldn't want to live in a place with sun, beaches and a bit of hedonism on the side. They should be the equivalent of Miami in US sports.
An indictment for mismanagement should be placed on the organisation currently but, on the flipside, if they get their house in order they should be very competitive on and off the field.

The Suns really cannot afford to lose BK after what they have been through, and I have no problem or issue whatsoever if the AFL can put in place a system where he can earn at least twice as much P/A than any other Eastern/Southern based club chasing him.
Hard to see how you can build a successful culture at a football club when you have a single player making double the salary as everyone else.

Or perhaps after being given a more than fair jump start the Suns could actually learn to be a half decently run sporting organization for once.

Then again this is the AFL, who will just keep throwing concessions at this basketcase of a club until they can manufacture some half respectable success. Because heavens forbid the Suns actually earn their own way for once.

Somethings just can’t be changed. The Gold Coast is a s**t hole of a place to live.
For someone young having to move there it would be daunting, then if you had a wife and were looking to raise a family it is even worse.

I dont see why the GCFC should be compensated for these short comings. It is something they have to face if they want to survive and not just be an artificial edifice for the AFL.

A single marquee player will not save them Or any club that is struggling. Just raise the salary cap for all if you feel teams need more wriggle room to negotiate for a big name player.

I'm baffled that Gold Coast aren't a destination club. What 20yo with money to burn wouldn't want to live in a place with sun, beaches and a bit of hedonism on the side. They should be the equivalent of Miami in US sports.
An indictment for mismanagement should be placed on the organisation currently but, on the flipside, if they get their house in order they should be very competitive on and off the field.
Haven't the Miami sporting teams - aside from the Heat - been largely rubbish in part because they are Miami, for a long time now?

The Dolphins haven't been good a long time and last I heard baseball tickets were $1 a seat.

The Heat culture helps them win. The Suns culture when they started out - with way too much hedonism - is still haunting them now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Coniglio can get a multicultural ambassadorship for being Italian then Ben King should get one for being unfairly recognised by AFL recruiters as the dud twin. That's a challenge in life. He deserves extra support.

Haven't the Miami sporting teams - aside from the Heat - been largely rubbish in part because they are Miami, for a long time now?

The Dolphins haven't been good a long time and last I heard baseball tickets were $1 a seat.

The Heat culture helps them win. The Suns culture when they started out - with way too much hedonism - is still haunting them now.
The comparison to be made between Brisbane as Tampa and Gold Coast as Miami here is fairly fitting (Heat aside)

Have thought the same, particularly comparing GC to Western Sydney which is like comparing and Holden Commodore to well anything.

That's the small limited reward for giving up recruiting zones and access to junior players.

GC benefits far more from Victoria producing players than players wanting to go home.

The Victorian AFL teams have little to nothing to do with developing junior Victorian AFL players though even if they're NGA academy.

If you could only draft from recruiting zones, I reckon the WA teams would be right at the top.
This was from 2019 AFL lists

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 5.16.32 am.png

Victoria - 56 players per Victorian AFL team
WA and SA - 60 players per team
NSW and QLD - 20 players per team

At the moment the Suns list (including current trades / delisting / retirements)
- 14 players who played junior football in Victoria
- 12 from QLD
- 10 from SA
- 3 from WA
- 2 from NSW
- 2 from NT

They have been given almost every concession possible, across their entire lifetime, and have not been able to achieve. Sporting clubs on the GC die there. Every time they've struggled they've been given draft picks, list size concessions, and do stuff all with them. Need an off field overhaul before worrying about extra cash for players.
Including demountable sheds for facilities until the commonwealth games in 2018?

The off-field overhaul has happened in two stages.
First getting Evans in and getting rid of Scott Clayton was the first major positive step.

Secondly getting rid of John Haines as director of footy this off season. I don't know personally, but those close to the club say he was not good for a number of reasons. Wayne Campbell should hopefully straighten us up in this department.

Dew is known for being very stubborn and getting in 'his team' of assistants has lead to Yes men apparently. Recruitment of some additional assistant coaches including Stephen King should challenge one track thinking.

Every Suns fan would acknowledge and agree with your statements about the off-field set up.
The list is entirely capable of succeeding. I reckon this off-seasons changes will help us realise that potential.

In what sense.
Hundreds of thousands of new participants and invested people around the country?

In the sense that noone watches them play and noone wants to be there and it takes dozens of players out of the system.

Why arent all those participants watching them play if the club inspired them to play themselves?

Are the ratings and game attendances a lie? Or are the increased numbers playing a lie? Or is there limited correlation between the 2 ?

I am sorry if this is going to be likely an unpopular opinion but I am one of those seemingly rare traditional state footy club supporters who wants the Suns to flourish and succeed in our league, and I think The AFL should introduce a Franchise Player rule (which I believe Ricky Nixon suggested years ago) where a club can pay its Marquee/Star of the club player/asset outside of The Salary Cap (within ATO reasons of course)

The Suns really cannot afford to lose BK after what they have been through, and I have no problem or issue whatsoever if the AFL can put in place a system where he can earn at least twice as much P/A than any other Eastern/Southern based club chasing him.

BTW this whole Franchise player OTC philosophy shouldn't just apply to the Suns, I would like it to apply to all clubs once over say during a 5-10 year period, to insure some equality in the game, especially for Non Victorian Clubs..

Gold Coast and the game of footy simply cannot afford to let Ben King slip out of the Suns fingers, and I would like to see some innovative measures put in place to ensure he re-signs at The Suns.

At any rate, it's either that or the Suns will get pick 1 as a Priority Pick compo if they lose King to say St Kilda or Essendon (or whatever club wins his services who will pay severe unders for a player of Ben's calibre anmm 0d upside, don't think for a moment the AFL and Gil won't do it either)
I like the Franchise rule that your highest paid player is outside the cap.

I would add that the player must have been drafted by the team and that it’s a rule for every team.

Extra rules I would put in place is players get a 10% bonus for re-signing and 20% if the player was drafted by the team. Both bonus are outside of the cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back