AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

The success of their approach can be judged by what future hand they are left with. To me, anything less than their F1 plus either a bottom four F1 or two mid table F1's (like the Dog's one) is a failure.
Success in this draft period, for me, is getting the 4 academy kids without going into deficit and gaining a F1.

I'm not sure the criteria you've set is realistic.

Success in this draft period, for me, is getting the 4 academy kids without going into deficit and gaining a F1.

I'm not sure the criteria you've set is realistic.
I think it still is, but today wasn't a great start. Even with that trade, it would have been a better for both it they'd traded two fourths and an F3 instead of the two thirds. But presumably they have other stuff planned that will make it more sensible.

IS the whole picks to list spots available still a thing?

5 delisted players; Brodie McClaughlin, Charlie Constable, Chris Burgess, Jed Andersen, Connor Blakely already gone

Mabior Chol, Jeremy Sharp and Elijah Hollands on the trade table whilst Sam Day remains without a contract.

That is 5 confirmed list changes with 4 more on the trade table or without a contract.

They currently hold picks
(1) 23
(2) 26
(3) 27
(4) 31
(5) 35
(6) 37
(7) 61

with current
(8) 65
(9) 70
(10) 73
as residual for any other list spots that may open up.

IS the whole picks to list spots available still a thing?

5 delisted players; Brodie McClaughlin, Charlie Constable, Chris Burgess, Jed Andersen, Connor Blakely already gone

Mabior Chol, Jeremy Sharp and Elijah Hollands on the trade table whilst Sam Day remains without a contract.

That is 5 confirmed list changes with 4 more on the trade table or without a contract.

They currently hold picks
(1) 23
(2) 26
(3) 27
(4) 31
(5) 35
(6) 37
(7) 61

with current
(8) 65
(9) 70
(10) 73
as residual for any other list spots that may open up.
Yes. List spots for draft slots are a thing. GC have done this well.

Gold Coasts points situation still worth discussing for my fellow points nerds out there.

They are at 3.9k points at the moment and I reckon they need to get to 4.5k minimum for all 4 of them, probably even more. They are probably also capped at the picks they can bring at this stage.

Watch for them to get future picks for Chol and Hollands and then unleash 10 live trades on the night to break up their better 2nds while getting a bunch of late picks for a future 2nd or something.

If your club is taking a bunch of junk into the draft, they have a trade or two set up

Gold Coasts points situation still worth discussing for my fellow points nerds out there.

They are at 3.9k points at the moment and I reckon they need to get to 4.5k minimum for all 4 of them, probably even more. They are probably also capped at the picks they can bring at this stage.

Watch for them to get future picks for Chol and Hollands and then unleash 10 live trades on the night to break up their better 2nds while getting a bunch of late picks for a future 2nd or something.

If your club is taking a bunch of junk into the draft, they have a trade or two set up
All depends on when the bids come.

Beveridge mentioned today Melbourne or Geelong will bid on Read. Suns traded with Melbourne and Adelaide amicably. Maybe no bids there?

That trade with North was in their favour, maybe a bid at 3 on Walter evens it out?

WB won't bid on anyone you'd think.

Rogers and Graham, who knows. I reckon Rogers slips a bit.

Can easily move the F2 into this year if more points are required.

Dream scenario is Walter bid at 4, Read 8, Rogers 15+

That’s why I thought the trade of pick 18 to North was weird. We had enough points but then traded a chunk away.

Something else must be in the works, if they don’t bid at 2 on Walter but 3 that’s saves around 300 points. If they don’t bid at all it’s 500.

Guess we are going to find out

That’s why I thought the trade of pick 18 to North was weird. We had enough points but then traded a chunk away.

Something else must be in the works, if they don’t bid at 2 on Walter but 3 that’s saves around 300 points. If they don’t bid at all it’s 500.

Could even be more than that, with where North picks are, they dont care where the bids come in and as said above, that was a pretty sweet deal for North given the incentives to trade the pick anyway. Would not be surprised to see them not bid at all.

Could even be more than that, with where North picks are, they dont care where the bids come in and as said above, that was a pretty sweet deal for North given the incentives to trade the pick anyway. Would not be surprised to see them not bid at all.
Another point is each bid drags the later picks in, gaining some points. Probably adds another 100-200 points.

If Croft gets bid on before Rogers, then it happens again.

Could it be like a "trade" without it being a trade, help us with trade x and we won't bid on Jed Walter with picks 2 or 3 perhaps?

A good faith deal that works for both parties..

We are still going to need some points from somewhere or pass on matching for Graham

Most of their picks will increase in value on the night. As they match and burn early picks, their later picks will come in and become more valuable.

In: N/A

Out: Chris Burgess, Mabior Chol, Elijah Hollands

Draft Picks: 24, 26, 27, 32, 36, 38, 66, 71, 74, 84

Major focus on getting sufficient points in to cover their academy boys this draft. So it may not look great, but it's job done for the Suns on that front.

Lost a bit of player depth but contracts off the books may continue to set them up.

Thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Major focus on getting sufficient points in to cover their academy boys this draft. So it may not look great, but it's job done for the Suns on that front.

Lost a bit of player depth but contracts off the books may continue to set them up.

Thoughts?
Some people go crazy about giving up Hollands for chips, then some people consider pick 4 trade with WB as best in history.

Overall, Suns did groundwork to bring 4 talented academy kids and got some great picks hand next year too.

Clearing 1M of cap is significant. It should help Suns to target A grader next year provided Suns play or are close to finals.

Yes, some depth left.

It's up to Dimma now to show his magic. Crucial next 2 years coming up.

Thoughts?
Yeah, they did what they needed to bank points.

Also, they now have 3x 1sts & 2x 2nds for 2024... the most points of any club.

So they are very well placed to bring in quality young talent over the next 2 years.

Rehashing the situation for my own insanity. Was either on Word Doc. or here so ill share... why not

Atkins
Flanders
Ellis
Daves
Sexton
Holman
Fiorini
Ainsworth
Ballard
Touk
S.Day*
Lukosius
Weller
Noah Anderson
T.Berry
Rowell
B.Humphrey
J.Sharp*
Long
Lemmens
Swallow
Collins
W.Powell
Witts
Casboult
Mac Andrew
King
Budarick
Jeffrey
Rosas
DMacpherson
C.Graham
N.Moyle
Farrar
H.Oea* (35)

Tsitas*
Uwland*
Faulkhead*
Stein*
S.Brock* (5)

* Without Contract (Yet to be delisted)

For 2024 do they get more list spots still?

Id assume they delist another rookie to get it to the minimum of 4 - Increasing their senior list tally to 38. Id then assume they delist H.Oea and maybe re rookie to give them 4 live picks.

Id assume they also delist S.Day and J.Sharp to make it 6 live picks. That gives them:

Draft Picks: 24, 26, 27, 32, 36, 38 = 3768 Points

Walter Bid Pick 2 -2013.6 points
Updated Draft Picks: 30, 34, 36, 56 = 1867 Points

E.Read Bid Pick 9(Ess) -1175.2 points
Updated Draft Picks: 35, 55 = 729 Points

J.Rogers Bid Pick 10(Ess) -1116 points
Updated Draft Picks: 35, 55 = 729 Points (Deficit ~390 Points before even discussing W.Graham with this situation only)

Summary:
They need to delist and Re-Rookie; 2 of Casboult, H.Oea, Sexton, T.Berry
Delist J.Sharp (He walks to a Perth side as a DFA)
Delist S.Day
Delist one of the current 5 rookies

Then they will be very active trading picks pre Draft and more so during

Pre Draft Trade (For Example)
I feel Essendon (And only because i know their exact situation) may look to trade 35 + 61 for Suns pick 32 - This likely means delisting 3 of the 4 names mentioned above

5, 48, 50, 52, 53 (56 and 69 not live)

The dogs i suspect look to do some deals with the suns. They have these 5 LIVE PICKS at the moment

Pre draft trade to be considered (Not sure it works really)

WBD In: Pick 38, 71
WBD Out: Pick 48, 56 and 69

GC Suns Out: Pick 38, 71
GC Suns In: Pick 48, 56 and 69

Also think (and not because im an Essendon fan) but imo Essendon should be bidding on Read at 10 if he hasnt been bid on already and J.Rogers at 11, W.Graham at 31 if;

Suns dont accept something like
Pick 10
for
Suns F1, F2 And 30 LIVE

Allows the suns

J.Walter
Pick 10 (Whoever that may be) Leake/Windsor/Wilson/Tholstrup
E.Read
J.Rogers
W.Graham

Also think (and not because im an Essendon fan) but imo Essendon should be bidding on Read at 10 if he hasnt been bid on already and J.Rogers at 11, W.Graham at 31 if;

Pick 10
for
Suns F1, F2 And 30 LIVE

Allows the suns

J.Walter
E.Read
J.Rogers
W.Graham
Suns don't want another first round pick this year.

Would expect to see more pick splitting when the draft starts to gain points. Can always trade 2024 pick 20 in for more points if required, rather than give in to threats like above.

Pick 10
for
Suns F1, F2 And 30 LIVE

Allows the suns

J.Walter
E.Read
J.Rogers
W.Graham
That does seem like something Dodoro would do before be rides off into the sunset, but if I'm the Suns, I say no thanks and acquire points from a different team. They may have foregone some picks in the Jack Martin debacle but they at least showed they won't be cowed into a poor deal for them any more.

Suns don't want another first round pick this year.

Would expect to see more pick splitting when the draft starts to gain points. Can always trade 2024 pick 20 in for more points if required, rather than give in to threats like above.
How many of the 9 current picks will Suns be able to take to the draft? It appears maybe the top 6 and 66,71,74 will drop out.. Is there any chance of taking 66 through as it'll come in about 10 picks by the time Walter, Read, Croft, McCabe & Rogers get bid on...

How many of the 9 current picks will Suns be able to take to the draft? It appears maybe the top 6 and 66,71,74 will drop out.. Is there any chance of taking 66 through as it'll come in about 10 picks by the time Walter, Read, Croft, McCabe & Rogers get bid on...
Cameron said 6 or 7 spots at the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back