AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

How many of the 9 current picks will Suns be able to take to the draft? It appears maybe the top 6 and 66,71,74 will drop out.. Is there any chance of taking 66 through as it'll come in about 10 picks by the time Walter, Read, Croft, McCabe & Rogers get bid on...
Read above

They in all likelihood reasonably have 6 right now (Delist H.Oea, Sharp, S.Day and a rookie listed player)

Then in likelihood they delist and re rookie L.Casboult - He would allow them to have 7 list spots

Draft Picks: 24, 26, 27, 32, 36, 38, 66 = 3848 Points

J.Walter Bid Pick 2 -2013.6 points
Updated Draft Picks: 30, 34, 36, 56, 65 = 1957 Points remain

E.Read Bid Pick 10(Ess) -1116 points
Updated Draft Picks: 35, 55, 64, 69 = 879 Points remain

J.Rogers Bid Pick 11(Ess) -1063.2 points
184 Point DEFICIT - Before W.Graham bid at 31 (Cost 485 Points)

This is assuming no Trades obviously and also Dons/Dodoro being pricks - but then again the suns aint accepting their deals

That is nonsense
Why would that be non-sense?

Suns are bringing 3 1st round players + 1 2nd round player. Players like Walter, Read will command 400K in 3rd year like Hollands, Humphrey, Andrew and others did. There is limit to how many top draftees you can keep long-term from cap point of view and playing opportunities.

By the way, some people claim that cat A spots are also counted as list spots when matching number of picks going into draft with.

It does look like Suns will keep extended list (38 + 8 + 2).

At the moment, Suns have 4 senior spots and 3 Cat A available. So if extended list stays that's 7 picks. De-list Day and Casboult (and re-rookie later) that's 9 picks to start draft with (6 senior spots mentioned by Cameron + 3 Cat A spots). Then there is Sharp who will be probably delisted.

Oea got 1 year extension and should end up on senior list.

Last edited:

That is nonsense
It's not, first rounders tend to become good players, good players want to be paid well. In a salary cap system like AFL you can only have so many highly paid players at one time.

Nonsense is suggesting you can bully the Suns into paying overs for pick 10. Clearly you don't value the pick, so why should the Suns? Rather take a deficit on next year's picks than do the deal you suggest.

There is no shortage of talent at the Suns, and there will be more over the next few years through the academy. Pick 10 isn't as valuable to the Suns as other teams.

Read above

They in all likelihood reasonably have 6 right now (Delist H.Oea, Sharp, S.Day and a rookie listed player)

Then in likelihood they delist and re rookie L.Casboult - He would allow them to have 7 list spots

Draft Picks: 24, 26, 27, 32, 36, 38, 66 = 3848 Points

J.Walter Bid Pick 2 -2013.6 points
Updated Draft Picks: 30, 34, 36, 56, 65 = 1957 Points remain

E.Read Bid Pick 10(Ess) -1116 points
Updated Draft Picks: 35, 55, 64, 69 = 879 Points remain

J.Rogers Bid Pick 11(Ess) -1063.2 points
184 Point DEFICIT - Before W.Graham bid at 31 (Cost 485 Points)

This is assuming no Trades obviously and also Dons/Dodoro being pricks - but then again the suns aint accepting their deals
I doubt Read lasts until pick 10 tbh.

I don't have a problem with clubs bidding early anyway. They should make the Suns pay as much as possible.

Also wonder if North do bid at 2. That trade for pick 18 was in their favour, hopefully a bid at 3 or not at all is the pay off.

I don't have a problem with clubs bidding early anyway. They should make the Suns pay as much as possible.

Also wonder if North do bid at 2. That trade for pick 18 was in their favour, hopefully a bid at 3 or not at all is the pay off.
I think Walter at 2, Reid at 10. The small foward not till 20.

Dont think North bid, but i dont believe they will have pick 2 either

It's not, first rounders tend to become good players, good players want to be paid well. In a salary cap system like AFL you can only have so many highly paid players at one time.

Nonsense is suggesting you can bully the Suns into paying overs for pick 10. Clearly you don't value the pick, so why should the Suns? Rather take a deficit on next year's picks than do the deal you suggest.

There is no shortage of talent at the Suns, and there will be more over the next few years through the academy. Pick 10 isn't as valuable to the Suns as other teams.

Carlton are definitely keen on getting pick 10, not sure what we can offer The Suns though to get it.

Were not talking about the deal here, so remove all that

Any list manager worth their salt can move $$ around and the reality is not all 5 will become mega stars unless you get it super right and then its the least of your concerns

Pick 10 is valuable to teams who can move ahead of bids and still find a way to match later bids

I dont think suns will, but to say its salary related is garbage

Why would that be non-sense?

Suns are bringing 3 1st round players + 1 2nd round player. Players like Walter, Read will command 400K in 3rd year like Hollands, Humphrey, Andrew and others did. There is limit to how many top draftees you can keep long-term from cap point of view and playing opportunities.

By the way, some people claim that cat A spots are also counted as list spots when matching number of picks going into draft with.

It does look like Suns will keep extended list (38 + 8 + 2).

At the moment, Suns have 4 senior spots and 3 Cat A available. So if extended list stays that's 7 picks. De-list Day and Casboult (and re-rookie later) that's 9 picks to start draft with (6 senior spots mentioned by Cameron + 3 Cat A spots). Then there is Sharp who will be probably delisted.

Oea got 1 year extension and should end up on senior list.

Ive no doubt if Read, Rogers are as good as Humphrey year 1 then they will command 400k year 3

They are also local products whereas the 3 you compared are not

Also Live picks dont take into account any CAT A availability. If Oea got another year, he has to be on the Primary List right now, that reduces another list spot. Would mean you currently have only 3 list spots before further delistings as per AFL.com.au now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question but of the 4 suns academy kids, how likely unlikely are they to nt match a bid?

Jed Walter (anything after 1)
Read (anything after 5?)
Wilson (anything after 12?)
Graham (anything after 18?)
Assume you mean Rogers?

Just imo but Graham is the only one they wouldn't match.

Genuine question but of the 4 suns academy kids, how likely unlikely are they to nt match a bid?

Read (anything after 5?)
I’m sure I read somewhere that they can only match 3x in the first round.

Is that right? Would mean the 4th one may be taken earlier if a club is keen.

Read (anything after 5?)
We will pick them all up

IMO. Our side deal with North where we gave up pick 18 for f20 will see Walters drop to pick 4 2034 points

I’m not convinced Read will go top 10 but let’s say 7 1644

Rodgers 15 1112

Graham 30 629

5419 less 20% discount 4335

We have 3877 in picks 24,26,27, 32,36,38, 66,71

We need to turn some of these into 450ish points, the equivalent of pick 39 or one or more of Read, Rodgers and Graham to drop a few places

If we get earlier than expected bids and we need more points we will sell Norths future end of first round pick to fill the deficit

That’s my 2c anyway

We will pick them all up

IMO. Our side deal with North where we gave up pick 18 for f20 will see Walters drop to pick 4 2034 points

Rodgers 15 1112

Graham 30 629

We need to turn some of these into 450ish points, the equivalent of pick 39 or one or more of Read, Rodgers and Graham to drop a few places

If we get earlier than expected bids and we need more points we will sell Norths future end of first round pick to fill the deficit

That’s my 2c anyway
I think you will dodge Graham if he goes early (maybe before 25?) But I also don't think that will happen.

We will pick them all up

Rodgers 15 1112

Graham 30 629

That’s my 2c anyway

It's not just this year's draft haul with academy picks Gold Coast have to worry about either, I believe you also have a couple of very promising prospects in next year's draft as well (which I think the future first round pick you got from the Bulldogs for your pick 4/5 trade this year was a very good piece of business by Craig 'Showtime' Cameron)

It's a pretty good/healthy position for the Suns to be in (finally) as a footy club. Once Ben King re-signs over the Summer/Xmas/New Year period (which is what many media journos here in Melbourne seem to firmly believe will happen) and its everything coming up Milhouse for Gold Coast.

Excited to see how Mac Andrew develops and improves over the pre season. Carlton really had trouble handling him in the first half last year of our game at Metricon.

He has all the tools and skill to be the best marking defender in the game in a few years.

We will pick them all up

Rodgers 15 1112

Graham 30 629

That’s my 2c anyway
I doubt there is any side deal with North. That trade was fairly even.

Last year we bid on Ashcroft about 1 minute after doing a live pick trade with them.

I doubt there is any side deal with North. That trade was fairly even.

Last year we bid on Ashcroft about 1 minute after doing a live pick trade with them.
In this case the swap only makes sense if we see Walter fall down the list a couple of spots. we would of kept the pick (18) to ensure we had enough points this year if he’s picked at 2, but if he’s picked at 4 we save some valuable points making it worth our while to trade 18 for a future end of first.

Time will tell but it’s not like we have more than 1or 2 prospects coming through next year so it makes little sense to move the pick unless there was a nudge nudge wink wink

Are my numbers right

Gold Coast have 37 players on the list (Rookie A or Primary)

Out of 42

Means they only have their first 5 draft picks active?

Atkins
Flanders
Ellis
sexton
Holman
Fiorini
Ainsworth
Ballard
Touk
Day
Lukosius
Weller
T.Berry
Humphrey
Anderson
Rowell
Tsitas (r)
Long
Lemmens
Swallow
Witts
Powell
Collins
Casboult
Mac
Bowland (r)
King
Budarick
Falkhead (r)
Jeffrey
Rosas
DMac
Brock (r)
H.Oea
Moyle
Farrar
C.Graham

Or do they still get assistance/concessions to have 44 total like North had?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back