AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Are my numbers right

Gold Coast have 37 players on the list (Rookie A or Primary)

Out of 42

Means they only have their first 5 draft picks active?

Atkins
Flanders
Ellis
sexton
Holman
Fiorini
Ainsworth
Ballard
Touk
Day
Lukosius
Weller
T.Berry
Humphrey
Anderson
Rowell
Tsitas (r)
Long
Lemmens
Swallow
Witts
Powell
Collins
Casboult
Mac
Bowland (r)
King
Budarick
Falkhead (r)
Jeffrey
Rosas
DMac
Brock (r)
H.Oea
Moyle
Farrar
C.Graham

Or do they still get assistance/concessions to have 44 total like North had?
They have a list of 48, they got extra rookie spots a number of years ago -- there has been no word on if its gone back in line with other clubs.
They were allowed to have 10 rookie A spots opposed to 6.

They have a list of 48, they got extra rookie spots a number of years ago -- there has been no word on if its gone back in line with other clubs.
They were allowed to have 10 rookie A spots opposed to 6.
Thanks Jen,

I still thought it was based on primary positions available ?

So if theyre only allowed a max of 38 like other clubs then they still have 33 on primary meaning 5 live picks

Thanks Jen,

So if theyre only allowed a max of 38 like other clubs then they still have 33 on primary meaning 5 live picks
Pretty sure it was reported that they delisted Day, with a promise to take him back as a rookie. That clears one more spot (pick).

But I think they’ll forfeit those last two points bearing picks unless they can consolidate the higher picks they hold into fewer picks, or trade them into next year.

Thanks Jen,

32 at the moment. Day will be delisted and drafted as a rookie. Oea will eventually be promoted to primary list.

If Suns bring in 4 academy kids to primary list as expected that would be total 43 players, 37 + 5 + 1.

32 at the moment. Day will be delisted and drafted as a rookie. Oea will eventually be promoted to primary list.

If Suns bring in 4 academy kids to primary list as expected that would be total 43 players, 37 + 5 + 1.
Whos the 5th taking it from 32 to 37 with 4 academy prospects?

Oea is included in the 32

Query is more around how many picks they can use in the draft for points

I believe its 6

Whos the 5th taking it from 32 to 37 with 4 academy prospects?

Oea is included in the 32

Query is more around how many picks they can use in the draft for points

I believe its 6
Oea was not added to primary list yet. He will be promoted from Cat B.

Last edited:
Yeh so its 31 + Oea + 4 = 36 isnt it? Or am i missing someone
Here are 32 on primary list. I think you forgot Davies on your list.

1Ben Long
2Sam Collins
3Sean Lemmens
4Mac Andrew
5Charlie Ballard
6Jy Farrar
7Noah Anderson
8Brandon Ellis
9Ben Ainsworth
10Jack Lukosius
11Nick Holman
12Ben King
13Malcolm Rosas
14Jarrod Witts
15Matthew Rowell
16Touk Miller
17Joel Jeffrey
18Sam Flanders
19David Swallow
20Alex Davies
21Wil Powell
22Lachie Weller
23Darcy Macpherson
24Brayden Fiorini
25Caleb Graham
26Alex Sexton
27Connor Budarick
28Rory Atkins
29Levi Casboult
30Ned Moyle
31Bailey Humphrey
32Thomas Berry

Last edited:
Here are 32 on primary list. I think you forgot Davies on your list.

1Ben Long
2Sam Collins
3Sean Lemmens
4Mac Andrew
5Charlie Ballard
6Jy Farrar
7Noah Anderson
8Brandon Ellis
9Ben Ainsworth
10Jack Lukosius
11Nick Holman
12Ben King
13Malcolm Rosas
14Jarrod Witts
15Matthew Rowell
16Touk Miller
17Joel Jeffrey
18Sam Flanders
19David Swallow
20Alex Davies
21Wil Powell
22Lachie Weller
23Darcy Macpherson
24Brayden Fiorini
25Caleb Graham
26Alex Sexton
27Connor Budarick
28Rory Atkins
29Levi Casboult
30Ned Moyle
31Bailey Humphrey
32Thomas Berry
Ah yes Davies was the one

Do you know the current list allowance for the suns?

Is it still max 38 primary allowed like anyone else and thats with 4 rookies only (Excl Cat B) ?

Any thoughts on Gold Coast trading up to GWS pick 7 to get in ahead of a bid for Rogers for example by trading 2 F1sts of the 3 they have to get in

Pick 7 could net them a decent need in Connor O'Sullivan without wasting points

Any thoughts on Gold Coast trading up to GWS pick 7 to get in ahead of a bid for Rogers for example by trading 2 F1sts of the 3 they have to get in

Pick 7 could net them a decent need in Connor O'Sullivan without wasting points
Wouldn't think so. 4 first rounders is enough this year.

Just imo but I'd rather save the two F1st's and look to trade for an A-grader next year. Already have Andrew as a developing tall defender.

If somehow Watson really did slide I’d be all over a trade back in. Fills a massive need. Can’t see that happening though, and REALLY can’t see Cameron parting with his precious future 1sts unless in dire need of more points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't think so. 4 first rounders is enough this year.

Just imo but I'd rather save the two F1st's and look to trade for an A-grader next year. Already have Andrew as a developing tall defender.
Would be stupid that. You gotta build through the draft and keep salary free for them as they develop and not go enormous for a mercenary. Andrew may be more a 3rd tall IMO then say a CHB option

Next years draft is more midfield based and that midfield you have is pretty well set for now.

Would be stupid that. You gotta build through the draft and keep salary free for them as they develop and not go enormous for a mercenary. Andrew may be more a 3rd tall IMO then say a CHB option

Next years draft is more midfield based and that midfield you have is pretty well set for now.
Stupid to get possibly 4 locally developed first rounders? So, you want Suns to take 5? Irony, you talk about stupid. We are not in re-build. I take A-grader every time next yeaar instead.

Andrew with extra 7-10kg could become unstoppable as CHB.

It's not stupid, the Suns have plenty of talented young players. Since 2018 they have drafted Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Sharp, Holands, Lukosius, King, Andrew and Humphrey in the first two rounders, plus Davies and Jeffrey who would have been in that range. Plus 4 more this year in Walter, Rogers, Read, and Graham. If that's not building through the draft I don't know what is.

They really need a couple of players that make a difference now.

O'Sullivan won't be any use for 3-5 years.

Stupid to get possibly 4 first rounders? So, you want Suns to take 5? We are not in re-build. I take A-grader every time next yeaar instead.

That poster you quoted obviously hasn't seen much of Mac Andrew play.

He is the next great intercept defender in the AFL and has the athleticism to run up and play further up the ground.

As you say, once he puts a bit more weight on (and gets more games into him) he is going to be an elite/AA calibre type of defender..

Really looking foward to watching Suns games next year just for the Mac attack !

He is a beauty !

Stupid to get possibly 4 first rounders? So, you want Suns to take 5? Irony, you talk about stupid. We are not in re-build. I take A-grader every time next yeaar instead.

Not sure you read my post properly. Im saying its stupid to spend big money on a recruit when you should be spending that money frontloading contracts so you can keep the list together as long as you can. Poaching a player for 3 1st rounders isnt all that useful if come his next contract Jack Lukosius has 3 mill extra on the table at the Crows and then takes that with Gold Coast getting 2 1st rounders back.. Rather keep what you have

You are not in a rebuild at all so why wait 1 more year to get a midfielder in to be at the back end of a long list when you can get a ready made KP defender to fill a grander need?

That poster you quoted obviously hasn't seen much of Mac Andrew play.

He is the next great intercept defender in the AFL and has the athleticism to run up and play further up the ground.

As you say, once he puts a bit more weight on (and gets more games into him) he is going to be an elite/AA calibre type of defender..

Really looking foward to watching Suns games next year just for the Mac attack !

He is a beauty !
He also has good amount of mongrel. And how about ruck role :)

Stupid to get possibly 4 locally developed first rounders? So, you want Suns to take 5? Irony, you talk about stupid. We are not in re-build. I take A-grader every time next yeaar instead.

I see Andrew as a intercept and rebound defender so a bit of a waste as the true bulked up CHB. Playing him at CHB will see the same issues Alir Alir has and will probably end up as the same result that Port are now doing which is bringing in tall defenders to give Alir Alir more freedom to do what he does best

Id rather go with O'Sullivan at CHB so Andrew has the freedom to use his athleticism more. Bulking up a agile athletic weapon is a utter waste. Let him use his agility instead

He also has good amount of mongrel. And how about ruck role :)

Really like his conference. We really had trouble with him in the first half last season at Metricon, he was a massive reason why the Suns built up such a healthy lead.

I honestly think Mac is developing faster than even what the most optimistic Suns fan and officials would dare hope.

I see Andrew as a intercept and rebound defender so a bit of a waste as the true bulked up CHB. Playing him at CHB will see the same issues Alir Alir has and will probably end up as the same result that Port are now doing which is bringing in tall defenders to give Alir Alir more freedom to do what he does best

Id rather go with O'Sullivan at CHB so Andrew has the freedom to use his athleticism more. Bulking up a agile athletic weapon is a utter waste. Let him use his agility instead
Andrew plays as CHB because of his body. At the moment, he would get killed in the ruck and is not strong enough for forward role. Where does he end up? Who knows but he is exciting to watch wherever he plays.

O'Sullivan is a draftee, enter 2-4 years to develop.

Suns would love to have A-grader last 2 years to complement the current line-up. Not going to happen until playing finals unless some miracle happens.

Really like his conference. We really had trouble with him in the first half last season at Metricon, he was a massive reason why the Suns built up such a healthy lead.

I honestly think Mac is developing faster than even what the most optimistic Suns fan and officials would dare hope.
No doubt. At first, Suns fans called match committee members idiots for giving him games. Now they can't wait to see him next year. He also has a very good kick for a tall player. Hopefully, he matures and avoids stupid off-field staff.

That game against Blue was crazy. I still can't believe that Suns squandered the lead :).

Andrew plays as CHB because of his body. At the moment, he would get killed in the ruck and is not strong enough for forward role. Where does he end up? Who knows but he is exciting to watch wherever he plays.

O'Sullivan is a draftee, enter 2-4 years to develop.

Suns would love to have A-grader last 2 years to complement the current line-up. Not going to happen until playing finals unless some miracle happens.
Walters is a draftee too, you gonna wait 4 years for him to develop and not play him? You wanna build a core group together as opposed to trade picks away for 3 years of Dustin Martin only to lose Jack Lukoscious for less

Walters is a draftee too, you gonna wait 4 years for him to develop and not play him? You wanna build a core group together as opposed to trade picks away for 3 years of Dustin Martin only to lose Jack Lukoscious for less
Martin will be a free agent.

The Sun's don't have cap space to pay overs anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back