Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Eckers is the only one from this year's upcoming draft who may get selected. Bella an outside one for second chance. Harrington is too small in my opinion but definitely a goer. Jedd Walter the stand out for 2023. There will be interest far and wide for him. His old man lives in WA which also could be n issue if he wanted to go over there. Others who might step up in 2023 are Will Graham and Marlin Corbett - both good types.
I remember people saying Errol Gulden was too small in his draft year. Dayne Zorko also comes to mind.

Is he good enough? If the answer is yes then you draft him. Imagine if Essendon had not taken a chance on Tipungwuti...

My understanding is Eckersley is reasonably tall. Is that true?

Is Walter's family originally from WA or did the father move over independently?

I remember people saying Errol Gulden was too small in his draft year. Dayne Zorko also comes to mind.

Is he good enough? If the answer is yes then you draft him. Imagine if Essendon had not taken a chance on Tipungwuti...

Is Walter's family originally from WA or did the father move over independently?
Jed lives with his Mum here on GC - father back in WA. Eckersely is tallish, well built and made for footy. Needs to have a really strong year in 2022 to really get the attention but has the ability. Cody has talent, skills and grit - and if drafted would give his all. I just feel he needs to put on a few inches quickly but been wrong before.

I watched Harrington and Eckersley only once but I was not overly impressed by Harrington. Eckersley already had a good body and looked promising.

Jared Eckersley, 17
Club: Broadbeach Cats
Position: Versatile Midfielder
Honours: QLD U17 2021, QLD U15 x 2, All Australian U15, NAB Academy U17 Captain, U17 QLD, SUNS Academy since 13.
The 191cm young star has shown great resilience since returning from a serious back injury in 2020. He represented QLD in 2021 and starred in his role in a game against the Mt Gravatt U21s side. He is extremely versatile and can play any position on the ground if necessary. He has exceptional foot skills and speed to match. Jared did some training with the Gold Coast SUNS AFL team before Christmas.

Jed lives with his Mum here on GC - father back in WA. Eckersely is tallish, well built and made for footy. Needs to have a really strong year in 2022 to really get the attention but has the ability. Cody has talent, skills and grit - and if drafted would give his all. I just feel he needs to put on a few inches quickly but been wrong before.
Do you know more about Jed's background? It looks like he's been playing juniors for Palmy for a while so I'm wondering if the family is originally from WA or if his father moved to WA independently. If Jed has never lived in WA and has no family there then I'd say it's far less likely we'd ever lose him to West Coast or Fremantle.

Do you know more about Jed's background? It looks like he's been playing juniors for Palmy for a while so I'm wondering if the family is originally from WA or if his father moved to WA independently. If Jed has never lived in WA and has no family there then I'd say it's far less likely we'd ever lose him to West Coast or Fremantle.
Don't know the family story but am aware thet Jed goes over to see his Dad regularly - which is entirely understandable. He was stuck there during Covid for a while if I recall correctly. Hopefully he's a GC boy for good.

I know the family story on Jed Walter. He has no contact with his father at all as there is a DVO against him and is not allowed to have any contact with him.

Eckers is the only one from this year's upcoming draft who may get selected. Bella an outside one for second chance. Harrington is too small in my opinion but definitely a goer. Jedd Walter the stand out for 2023. There will be interest far and wide for him. His old man lives in WA which also could be n issue if he wanted to go over there. Others who might step up in 2023 are Will Graham and Marlin Corbett - both good types.

Astute post Sunstormer.

As I've said I'm new up here but I know a few people and have been watching my local boys keenly.

Eckersely and Corbett are both '22 draft

they are very different players and also very hard to split.

I stick to positives on kids, here’s my take

Eckersley - great size, great hands, great penetrating kick, leadership qualities

Corbett - great size, 2-way runner, damaging ball use, very professional

Eckersley is hard to place in a position. Hes playing mid, but probably because hes one of the better players. At AFL level hes probably the prototype swingman. Hes versatile. Can catch a ball in a pack forward or back. Can kick a goal from outside 50.

Corbett is pure inside/outside mid. Wins his own ball, puts his team into attacking space with most possessions, runs hard defensively and Works as hard in a 4th quarter as in the 1st. Is from the northern rivers (not Byron but in that area) but has moved to the Gold Coast full time this year.

You cant really split them on ability, pace (neither are quick but both find space), size, or endurance.

player comparisons are mostly absurd, but can be descriptive.

Eckersley; think an inch shorter Oscar Allen.

Corbett; think a two inch taller Shane Edwards

If both stay fit and have good years, and the Suns retain draft concessions and can pre-list Academy players,

I think both would be in the frame.

Astute post Sunstormer.

As I've said I'm new up here but I know a few people and have been watching my local boys keenly.

Eckersely and Corbett are both '22 draft

they are very different players and also very hard to split.

I stick to positives on kids, here’s my take

Eckersley - great size, great hands, great penetrating kick, leadership qualities

Corbett - great size, 2-way runner, damaging ball use, very professional

Eckersley is hard to place in a position. Hes playing mid, but probably because hes one of the better players. At AFL level hes probably the prototype swingman. Hes versatile. Can catch a ball in a pack forward or back. Can kick a goal from outside 50.

Corbett is pure inside/outside mid. Wins his own ball, puts his team into attacking space with most possessions, runs hard defensively and Works as hard in a 4th quarter as in the 1st. Is from the northern rivers (not Byron but in that area) but has moved to the Gold Coast full time this year.

You cant really split them on ability, pace (neither are quick but both find space), size, or endurance.

player comparisons are mostly absurd, but can be descriptive.

Eckersley; think an inch shorter Oscar Allen.

Corbett; think a two inch taller Shane Edwards

If both stay fit and have good years, and the Suns retain draft concessions and can pre-list Academy players,

I think both would be in the frame.
Nice to see you've been watching too. I saw Fish as a young U15 year old and knew he had something special back then. He's grown and matured even further and would love to see him get picked up by Suns or anybody for that matter. Eckers is as we both know - a true professional and should be in the sights of recruiters everywhere. BTW: There's a couple of kids in the U16s that have the same look and 'feel' of Corbett but I'll preserve my powder until later in the year.

Nice to see you've been watching too. I saw Fish as a young U15 year old and knew he had something special back then. He's grown and matured even further and would love to see him get picked up by Suns or anybody for that matter. Eckers is as we both know - a true professional and should be in the sights of recruiters everywhere. BTW: There's a couple of kids in the U16s that have the same look and 'feel' of Corbett but I'll preserve my powder until later in the year.
There's an internal trial between U17 Academy kids coming up in early March PLUS the U18 annual match against Surfers. Great chance to use your talent spotting skills and check out some emerging talent. I'll check dates and post closer to the day.

Great game yesterday between Surfers Paradise U23 squad and Suns U18 Boys. Suns played a great brand all day and demolished the Demons team. Some strong performances - Cody Harrington played the best game I've seen him play, Jed Walter was impressive as a Key Forward, Will Bella clunked some big marks and did his draft hopes no harm (maybe in mid terms). Will Graham returning from a long knee lay off did some good things and was composed at all times. Eckers was his steady self and also keeps building his profile. Ethan Reid in ruck was very impressive and stood out above all others. Not bad for an U17 kid and he's still growing. Write him down - he's going to be a big name in a few years. Next week (Sunday) the U17 and U18 boys are playing Brisbane here at home - so anyone interested in checking out the next generation of talent should wander down.

Great game yesterday between Surfers Paradise U23 squad and Suns U18 Boys. Suns played a great brand all day and demolished the Demons team. Some strong performances - Cody Harrington played the best game I've seen him play, Jed Walter was impressive as a Key Forward, Will Bella clunked some big marks and did his draft hopes no harm (maybe in mid terms). Will Graham returning from a long knee lay off did some good things and was composed at all times. Eckers was his steady self and also keeps building his profile. Ethan Reid in ruck was very impressive and stood out above all others. Not bad for an U17 kid and he's still growing. Write him down - he's going to be a big name in a few years. Next week (Sunday) the U17 and U18 boys are playing Brisbane here at home - so anyone interested in checking out the next generation of talent should wander down.

Didn’t get to the game, but interesting to see so many over age boys playing this game
(11 in total)
In years gone by there would be a couple of 19’s, but majority would be boys in their draft year, with a few top end 17’s.

Maybe it was used as a bit of a trial, but the four U18 players from last years QLD team left in the intra-club game, would be understandably pissed.

I suppose it is a byproduct of the NAB league now being an U19 competition, but geez you would be filthy if it was your draft year and blokes who played Allies last year and trained with the seniors this year (Bella and Stevens) drop back and take spots in the U18 squad.

Last edited:
Didn’t get to the game, but interesting to see so many over age boys playing this game
(11 in total)
In years gone by there would be a couple of 19’s, but majority would be boys in their draft year, with a few top end 17’s.

Maybe it was used as a bit of a trial, but the four U18 players from last years QLD team left in the intra-club game, would be understandably pissed.

I suppose it is a byproduct of the NAB league now being an U19 competition, but geez you would be filthy if it was your draft year and blokes who played Allies last year and trained with the seniors this year (Bella and Stevens) drop back and take spots in the U18 squad.
I am pretty sure the NAB League has gone back to U18’s, with the previous rules for 19 year olds on a list reinstated.

PMBangers can you confirm, or am I way off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am pretty sure the NAB League has gone back to U18’s, with the previous rules for 19 year olds on a list reinstated.

PMBangers can you confirm, or am I way off?
eDPS would know more, but I assuming the rules are more flexible for Northern Academy sides given the quality in comparison

(11 in total)

Kye Reynoldson, Caleb Baines and Josh Young were removed from the early game at half time and played a half in the main game against Surfers Paradise. Kye ended up playing 5 quarters in total and performed well. Who were the ones relegated to the early game from last year? Should be two good games this weekend at Metricon when we play the Lions in both age groups. U17 and U18. The U16 kids get to strut their stuff in a few weeks against Lions and Giants.

Kye Reynoldson, Caleb Baines and Josh Young were removed from the early game at half time and played a half in the main game against Surfers Paradise. Kye ended up playing 5 quarters in total and performed well. Who were the ones relegated to the early game from last year? Should be two good games this weekend at Metricon when we play the Lions in both age groups. U17 and U18. The U16 kids get to strut their stuff in a few weeks against Lions and Giants.

Yeah, Reyno, Bainsy, Young and Dawson all started in the intra- club game. Wasn’t aware they were moved at half time, although I know Dawson wasn’t.
Spoke to his parents yesterday who were furious that he was made to ruck all 4 quarters without a rotation, in what they said were oppressively hot and humid conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Harrington play midfield minutes?

Yeah, Reyno, Bainsy, Young and Dawson all started in the intra- club game. Wasn’t aware they were moved at half time, although I know Dawson wasn’t.
Spoke to his parents yesterday who were furious that he was made to ruck all 4 quarters without a rotation, in what they said were oppressively hot and humid conditions.

Taine didn't get called up as you noted. I didn't see all of that game but we looked deficient in ruck and height generally, so that may have been an issue with who to rotate. The good point that came out of it is it looks like the U18 (supplemented by some from last year) will make a very strong side - we shall see this weekend when they play the Lions at home. The game style was very good and standard high. I'd be surprised if these four don't make the squad after their efforts in first half that I saw. All good from a future perspective AND the U16s look to be pretty strong as well. Some good kids coming through.

Geeez, Alana Gee looks like the real deal. 34 disposals, 5 tackles and 7 inside 50’s in the Suns girls first NAB game of the year. She swept the floor at the Academy awards night last year and looks to be on her way to a high draft pick.

Geeez, Alana Gee looks like the real deal. 34 disposals, 5 tackles and 7 inside 50’s in the Suns girls first NAB game of the year. She swept the floor at the Academy awards night last year and looks to be on her way to a high draft pick.

How exciting to have another gun coming through our academy! If we get Gee and the Levi sisters in this off season then it's going to be a very fun 2022-23 season!

Recruiting another player from Mackay is awesome too. I can already envision the Mackay girls combining with Bella tapping it down to Gee who breaks through a pack and hits Bohanna lace out in the forward which results in a goal. Exciting stuff to come later this year!

Geez, U18 boys killed Lions, 103:28. I have to watch it. It looks like 3 from 3. U17 boys 110:44, U18 girls 52:12. Do we have bright future or what? What's happening? Anybody watched games?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back