Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Kerr, Shaun Burgoyne, Kane Cornes, Scott Thompson, Drew Petrie, Darren Jolly all from the 2000 draft. Not saying it was a super draft, just that it wasn't terrible.
Walter is a jet but he isn't the same level Riewoldt was as a top age U18 player. Just a tier behind, nothing wrong with that.
I'd guess just about every draft class would contain notable players taken outside of the top 10 but if you have several top 10 names that live up the the hype as well as those outside the top 10 that become stars then you've got a super draft on your hands. The 2001 draft had Chris Judd, Luke Hodge, Luke Ball and Jimmy Bartel all in the top 10 and outside the top 10 it had stars like Gary Ablett Jr, Dane Swan, Sam Mitchell, Stevie J, Brian Lake etc.

That's obviously a much stronger draft class than 2000 so I'm not sure Riewoldt's number 1 pick status would have been assured had he been one year younger. Hence the point I was trying to make that just because you're the number 1 pick, doesn't mean you're better than a pick 2 or 3 in another draft class. I'd guess most people would have rated 2001's pick 3 (Chris Judd) higher than 2000's pick 1 (Nick Riewoldt) in their respective draft years but I'm not 100% sure on that one. To bring it back to my original point, it's entirely possible Walter would be looked at the same way Riewoldt was as a clear number 1 if Jed was in a draft class that didn't contain what could end up being a generational talent named Harley Reid.

Why are we comparing Walter to Nick Reiwoldt ffs. Please stop with the ridiculous comparisons and creating heightened expectation.
I don't think it's really any different to some of the other comparisons we see between players who have something in common like Ugle-Hagan being compared to Buddy because they are both indigenous key forwards. We've seen Walter compared to Dixon earlier today and I compared him to Nick Riewoldt because both are Gold Coast juniors. They are just natural talking points that always come up when you have highly rated juniors. The truth is Jed Walter will be his own unique player and do it his own way.

Apparently thats the rule of you make finals
It came into play because the southern clubs complained when GWS made their first preliminary final in 2016 and also matched academy bids for Setterfield (pick 5), Perryman (pick 14) and Cumming (pick 20). So now a northern club that make a prelim can only match one academy bid in the first round, one that makes the finals but is eliminated before the prelims can match two academy bids in the first round and one that doesn't make the finals can match more than two academy bids in the first round. So if we miss the finals then we are guaranteed to secure all three academy stars but if we make the finals then we probably need to get creative.

ESPN compared Walter to Max King.
Rogers to Touk
Read to Luke Jackson

Walter isn't similar to King at all. King wants to mark up high away from oppos, Walter wants to run through his oppo and take out as many as possible.
Charlie Dixon?
While he looks like Curnow, I don't think Curnow is your crash and bash type player either.

You reckon someone is showing Maribor these Jed walter ‘fly for everything’ tapes?
Watch and learn otherwise you’ll be watching him alongside King next year.

Walter isn't similar to King at all. King wants to mark up high away from oppos, Walter wants to run through his oppo and take out as many as possible.
If you think that's all Walter can do then you'll be really surprised when you see him use his acceleration when he's leading to create space on his opponent and then take an easy chest mark on the lead Nick Riewoldt style. Genuinely one of the quickest players I've ever seen at that height when he chooses to use his speed. His vertical leap is also deceptively impressive because he times most of his jumps extremely well (like Charlie Curnow) and marks balls that you'd think he has no right no mark, even when he's pretty far away from the contest when the ball is in flight. When he's far away from the contest he'll use his elite speed to get there and time his jump perfectly to compete for the ball. Without building him up too much, Jed can essentially do anything you need him to do as a key forward and that's why he's so incredibly difficult to stop when he's on.

You're going to see pack crashing, big contested marks, marks taken on the lead, brute strength/out bodying his opponent in a one-on-one situation, goals on the run, crumbing the ball for the smalls etc. Walter isn't one dimensional in any sense.

Last edited:
I like what i see from Read especially against another potential top 10 in Edwards.

Walters made the most of his chances, that play on call/reversal was a bit of a laugh.

Rogers neat and clean when he's had his chance in the midfield.

Graham not too bad.

O'Sullivan, McKercher & Sanders look amazing

Rodgers looks good but I can't see him being top 20 draft pick he is not even the 3rd best midfielder in the allies team

Mid 20 pick I think

Rodgers looks good but I can't see him being top 20 draft pick he is not even the 3rd best midfielder in the allies team

Mid 20 pick I think

You don't see players of his height taken at the top end of the draft as recruiters would feel that there is ceiling on how good he will be. Caleb Daniel had the best kicking highlight package of any draftee ever and he only went in the 30s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like what i see from Read especially against another potential top 10 in Edwards.

Walters made the most of his chances, that play on call/reversal was a bit of a laugh.

Rogers neat and clean when he's had his chance in the midfield.

Graham not too bad.

O'Sullivan, McKercher & Sanders look amazing
Good analysis.

The commentators keep raving about Read's athleticism and it's definitely been on display today. I was also super impressed with his 30m lace out kick to a leading forward who marked and goaled from the boundary. You just don't see 202cm players who can kick it like that. The combination of his athleticism, tackling and ability to kick it accurate over the short-medium distances makes him a potential key position defender at the AFL level.

Limited opportunities from Walter but he's looked really dangerous when he gets near it. You can see why he's so highly rated but I think WA are probably doing everything they possibly can to lock him down. I think he'll come into it more in this second half though.

Rogers has been a bit quiet but still looks nifty when he touches it. Graham and Williams also look solid.

The commentators confirmed that we have academy access to the NT player Will Rowlands.

Our academy boys are really starting to light it up in this fourth quarter. Rogers is getting more influential in the midfield, Walter is getting more of the ball and kicked his third goal earlier in this quarter plus unselfishly handed off another to Read at full forward who kicked a goal himself. Twomey said earlier in the broadcast that he has Walter as the second best talent in the country behind Harley Reid and just said he expects Read to be drafted in the 10-12 range. Twomey also mentioned Will Graham could be a chance to be drafted in the top 30. Three PBC boys all taken in the top 30 would be a phenomenal outcome and then we've of course got Rogers who could very well go in the top 20 as well.

Some on our board will be happy to hear Read has spent the majority of the fourth quarter playing as a key defender and looks VERY capable taking contested marks and cleanly distributing by foot.

Pretty happy with what i've seen from Walter & Read.
Big 4th quarters from both of them, Walters crashing the pack like a battering ram and applied great forward pressure/tackling/closing speed for a big man and Read with some great intercept marks in the contest.

Rogers definitely reminds me of touk
A lot of draft analysts compare him to Dayne Zorko in his younger midfield days.

Big 4th quarters from both of them, Walters crashing the pack like a battering ram and applied great forward pressure/tackling/closing speed for a big man and Read with some great intercept marks in the contest.
Our spine for the majority of the next 10 years:

FB: Ballard (23)
HB: Read (18)
C: Moyle (21)
CHF: King (22) HFF: Lukosius (22)
FF: Walter (18)

Noah (22), Rowell (21), Humphrey (18), Davies (21) & Rogers (18) in the middle.

Exciting stuff!

A lot of draft analysts compare him to Dayne Zorko in his younger midfield days.

Exciting stuff!
I'm convinced Walter is ready for Round 1 next year.

Hopefully keep Levi for another year to teach him the ways, send Day to retirement

Read could be anything

Just need to find a way to turn Budarick, Jeffrey, Powell into aggressive rebounding half backs because it will be hard to bring one in with all our picks tied up.

Exciting stuff!
I see you have no Andrew on this list?

Can’t see Read immediately replacing Andrew in defence next year. Will need a bit of development to step up to that role at AFL level you’d think, especially as he doesn’t play there right now. I do think it is a position that might suit him though.

Can’t see Read immediately replacing Andrew in defence next year. Will need a bit of development to step up to that role at AFL level you’d think, especially as he doesn’t play there right now. I do think it is a position that might suit him though.
Read, like Andrew will need a few seasons to get stronger. Looks super talented though.

I'm convinced Walter is ready for Round 1 next year.

Hopefully keep Levi for another year to teach him the ways, send Day to retirement
So am I. He's already got the body that's ready to compete as a key position player at the AFL level, which is insane for a kid that turned 18 just three days ago. Like you said, let's keep Levi on for another year so he can teach Walter all the tricks of the trade and iron out any mistakes that power forwards tend to make in their younger years. It should be a fairly natural transition from Casboult to Walter next year. Day might be kept purely for VFL reasons but I suspect we'll gift him his 150th at some point this year (he's currently on 149 games) and then ask him to retire in order to keep Burgess who will likely play alongside Casboult in the VFL next year.

Read could be anything
After watching that game against WA, I'm far more convinced that Read is suited to a key defender role at the AFL level but can obviously still pinch hit in the ruck if you need it. I would agree with others on our board that say it's a waste of his athleticism/skillset to keep him in the ruck when it's better used in the backline. Play Read as a third tall defender next year and Collins can show him the ropes for a year or two before he cements himself in the team alongside our other (AA?) key defender Ballard who will be entering his physical prime.

I guess we'll see what happens with Andrew. He's shown a few good signs so far and perhaps both he and Read force Collins out of the backline eventually but I think Andrew potentially ends up competing with Moyle for the ruck spot as well. No room for him up forward unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back