Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
In the wake of the great Cardinal Pedo Pell finally being outed today for what he is it would be a glorious thing if the Suns took the lead on this insidious issue and direct all Academy Kids to PBC and Helensvale State High Schools

All Saints is an Anglican school

Pell is a Catholic Priest / Bishop / man who did bad things.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I find this post in extremely poor taste, because you’re tarring ~20% of the population, and a great many school teachers around the country, due to the actions of small minority.

There was a recent discussion on one of the ABC programs about how child abusers tend to work in fields where they have contact with children.

My pure speculation would be that the percentage of such teachers would be similar in both private and public schooling, as such a predilection is not limited to those of the Catholic faith.

If you have an issue with Catholicism or religion, that’s fine. Don’t involve footy in it.

I stand by what I say. I find the institutional protection of These people in bad taste.

Subsequently (and of course it won’t happen) just simply without fanfare direct the Academy Kids to PBC and Helensvale

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
All Saints is an Anglican school

Pell is a Catholic Priest / Bishop / man who did bad things.

Was waiting for that one. Who was that Governor General that was shown the door again for protecting them. Tall white headed piece of work.

We have two great places to send the kids, particularly the ones entrusted in the club’s care-PBC and Helensvale. Doesn’t need to be a big announcement, just a quiet policy change.

I will not be speaking anymore on this.
Do your best.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Was waiting for that one. Who was that Governor General that was shown the door again for protecting them. Tall white headed piece of work.

We have two great places to send the kids, particularly the ones entrusted in the club’s care-PBC and Helensvale. Doesn’t need to be a big announcement, just a quiet policy change.

I will not be speaking anymore on this.
Do your best.

I'm not here for an argument, you've made you position clear.
I don't agree with it, like many things. We'll just leave it at that.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
https://www.aflq.com.au/aflqsc/

Some interesting information revealed in the link above. Somerset College have decided to enter a senior boys and a senior girls team in the 2019 AFLQ Schools Cup. They become the first APS school to enter a team in the state wide schools comp so it'll be interesting to see how they go, especially considering they are the reigning APS senior girls premiers. For those who don't know, Somerset College also set up a team in the AFL Gold Coast juniors competition a few years ago (Mudgeeraba Spartans) and I'd imagine they have aspirations to enter a senior team in the QAFL/QFA competitions one day ala the PBC school/club situation. Somerset College's inter-school sports teams are known as the Spartans if anyone was wondering. Elanora State High School is another Gold Coast school entering the competition for the first time in 2019.

That takes the total Gold Coast schools competing across all divisions in the 2019 AFLQ Schools Cup to 24. Assisi College (Upper Coomera), Benowa State High School, Coomera River State School, Elanora State High School, Elanora State School, Guardian Angels (Ashmore), Helensvale State High School, Helensvale State School, Hillcrest Christian College (Reedy Creek), Livingstone Christian College (Ormeau), Marymount College (Burleigh Waters), Miami State High School, Miami State School, Ormeau State School, Ormeau Woods State High School, Pacific Pines State High School, Pacific Pines State School, Palm Beach Currumbin State High School, Pimpama State Secondary College, Robina State High School, Somerset College (Mudgeeraba), Southport State High School, Varsity College Primary and Varsity College Secondary.

Gold Coast schools which run AFL Excellence Programs in 2019 include: Helensvale State High School, Pacific Pines State High School, Palm Beach Currumbin State High School and Southport State High School. Pac Pines and Southport have only recently started excellence programs and will probably take a few years before they can realistically compete with the might of Helensvale and PBC but it's good to see more GC schools starting AFL excellence programs.

AFLQ Schools Cup games usually start between March-May so we should start getting information on results in the near future.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I saw Nerang High has put up a set of AFL goals and created a new Oval so surprised they aren't on the list.
Seems like a lot of government high schools on the Gold Coast are going down that path as of late. I can only assume AFL Queensland and the Suns are providing funding to these schools in order to encourage participation. Varsity College is another government high school which has AFL posts on its oval. Five or so years ago Southport High erected AFL posts on their oval and now they have an excellence program, so things can progress pretty quickly if people are dedicated to making it work. I was surprised to learn Pacific Pines High are now running their own AFL excellence program but similar to Somerset, there was a junior club set up less than 10 years ago known as the Pac Pines Power and I imagine the high school will source a lot of their players from there.

I'm not really sure where (or even if) Nerang High plans to source players from but it's good new nonetheless that they have put up posts for the students to play footy. I'm sure we'll see them compete in the AFLQ Schools Cup in the near future.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Bailey Scott had a nice game for NM today.
21 possessions
Commentators suggested he is in the mix for round 1.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
To be honest I only expect us to pick 2 or 3 of our academy kids this year.
I'm not sure if we'll draft any of our kids. Possibly to the rookie list, as I expect our rookie list to cleared out this year.

Or as we did this year, we might delist a couple of players and re-rookie them, to open up a couple of extra late National Draft picks, possibly for our academy kids.

There's a couple of kids I hope that make that step up this year to be draft-able from our academy.

henryjeffery

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not sure if we'll draft any of our kids. Possibly to the rookie list, as I expect our rookie list to cleared out this year.

Or as we did this year, we might delist a couple of players and re-rookie them, to open up a couple of extra late National Draft picks, possibly for our academy kids.

There's a couple of kids I hope that make that step up this year to be draft-able from our academy.

From what I have seen I like Martin , Jeffery, Cumberland and Moseley from your academy. They also have a 204 cm ruckman that Conroy was up against

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For anyone who is interested in QLD/GC school footy, visit the following link to see AFLQ Schools Cup School of Excellence draw and results: https://www.aflq.com.au/excellence/

Last week in the senior division, Helensvale kicked off their 2019 AFLQSC campaign with a 10-goal victory over Park Ridge. I believe the PBC seniors will play their first game of 2019 this week. Also good to see all four GC AFL excellence schools (Helensvale, Pac Pines, PBC and Southport) competing in the junior male competition. No doubt there will be quite a few boys from our academy playing for these schools this year so it'll be interesting to follow.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Bailey Scott 14 disposals and a goal
A winger
Would have fitted in great!
Good luck to him, only shows our academy is preparing talented kids well.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Bailey Scott 14 disposals and a goal
A winger
Would have fitted in great!
Good luck to him, only shows our academy is preparing talented kids well.
Hopefully we get him back in a few years, who knows.
Yeah, seems like we are finally sorting out our player development.

Ballard and Powell are shining examples of that. As 2nd year players they are looking like they could be potential B/A graders if they continue to develop.

Back