Gold Coast SUNS Academy

AFL Club
Gold Coast
He's 175cm - unless he has a great champs he probably won't be top 50.

I would bet Ace gets drafted before him as clubs value that pace

On CPH1725 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Budarick has the fastest 20m time and broke the record for agility beating brad hill time at his state screening, and you’re saying aces pace is more of an asset? I haven’t seen ace win a hard ball only get the cheap ones over the back just saying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

All Australian
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I know it's a week old from the game against the Lions academy but here's a bit of a write up on our academy players from round 3 of the NAB League:

Hewago Paul Oea

Oea is an excitement machine, lurking dangerously in and around the forward 50 arc all day. He is a smart user by foot and created opportunities for his teammates with good use going forward. Perhaps the most impressive aspect of that is his ability to use the ball well at speed, and his gather, turn and kick to Ethan Dawson in the goalsquare was an example of that. Oea looked like doing something great whenever he was goalside of his opponent, and his eye-catching goal on the run in the third term showcased that to a t. Definitely one to watch, and is hard to miss when at full flight.

Connor Budarick

The zippy midfielder-forward was a mainstay at the centre bounces, but I thought his possessions in the forward half showed where his best football will be played at the next level. He sweeps up the loose ball at ground level and hits it at speed, using smart hands to extract when he opts not to break away from stoppages. Would have had a pretty complete game had he put away two goal opportunities he created with impressive gathers at pace, but was damaging nonetheless. A pleasing part of his game was his direction of play after disposing of the ball, and he seems a clever type. 26 disposals for the Allies representative marked a solid day.

Josh Gore

Gore looks a polished player, and was nothing short of clinical up forward. He certainly knows where the goals are, but did not get the chance to show off his outstanding awareness inside 50 as he instead booted his three goals from set shots at varying angles. Gore does not need much of the ball to have an impact, and definitely caught the eye with his evasiveness with ball in hand. Worked hard to find space with seven marks, and has a nice left-foot kick.

Ashton Crossley

A contested ball machine, Crossley continued his good start to the Sun’s NAB League cameo with 28 disposals. I was not surprised to find that 20 of them were handballs, but that is simply his game and he was hardly beaten as the number one stoppage player on the ground. While his releasing handballs were effective for the most part, Crossley often hacked the ball out by foot, so still has some areas to work on as most inside midfielders do. Worked tirelessly in tandem with Budarick in a team-oriented role and won an impressive 10 clearances.

GC2015

All Australian
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There are at least five possible draftees in your academy group this year
Who are those five players? I assume Budarick and Crossley are most likely. Then I guess Gore? Who are the others?

Is this year a strong group of academy players for us or are we just benefiting from the greater exposure that the NAB League is offering?

Top Bottom