Gold Coast SUNS Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Murtha is a defender from memory. 192cm on the team sheet. Played for the same club in Townsville as Lawsen Ford, Thuringowa.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
From what I saw he was a silky type of defender....did some good things without shining BUT there's talent there for sure. Will only improve with the right coaching.

SUN OF A GUN

Debutant
Dec 1, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hearing Will Bella and Bailey Reeves have offers from Central Districts in the SANFL, should they not get picked up in the Draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Supersuns

Tarkyn_24s Best Friend
Mar 14, 2014
Muddiemooses head
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Roys FFC
Be a shame to see Bella go.
Has plenty of upside
I don't think he has much upside at all, he is almost already fully developed so there won't be much physical growth left in him, he isn't very gifted athletically either. Has a nice jump but still not enough to be worth an AFL list spot, low ceiling sorta prospect.

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I suppose we can say goodbye to Will Bella now. Would like to keep him in our academy system for another year as an overage 2022 draft prospect but rumours are he's heading to the SANFL. Hopefully the decision not to draft him doesn't come back to bite us.

In other potential academy news, Lleyton Hewitt and his family have just recently moved to the Gold Coast and his 12 year old son Cruz is a passionate footy fan as well as being an outstanding junior tennis prodigy like his old man. We know Lleyton is a huge Crows fan and Cruz is also a fan of the Crows but, importantly for us, he played a fair amount of junior footy while the family lived in Melbourne over the last five years, with his most recent junior footy match coming this year in the South Metro Junior Football League. Lleyton played junior footy until the age of 13 so we may only have a small window to strike but I'd like to think our academy staff at least reach out to the Hewitts and try to set up an arrangement where Cruz plays some junior footy matches on the Gold Coast next year.

It's been stated many times by AFL personalities like Mark 'Choco' Williams that Lleyton Hewitt definitely could have played in the AFL if he had chosen that pathway and his father Glynn was a prominent footballer in the 70s and 80s who played for Richmond as well as numerous teams in the SANFL and even the South Australian state team. It goes deeper than that, Glynn's father Max was also a footballer for West Adelaide in the 50s and 60s and was a SANFL Life Member. Just trying to make it clear that although Lleyton was a famous tennis player, he and his son Cruz actually come from a footballing family so we should at least ask the question if there is any chance he might want to pursue a career in footy instead. The rumours are that the Hewitts have moved to Burleigh and the local Burleigh Bombers footy club just so happens to be directly adjacent to one of the better tennis clubs on the Coast. I say let's get Cruz in there to start playing with the likes of other famous sports names like Mark Minichello's son Luca or even at the Broady Cats with the likes of our first ever father-son pick Kai Rischitelli.

It's good to have so many talented junior athletes running around on the Gold Coast. We just have to find ways to get them to play footy and stick to it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad