Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
10 years? I thought it was happening in the next 2-3 years?

You make an interesting observation about NQ kids moving here though. Options are very limited on the Gold Coast when it comes to boarding schools. All Saints, TSS and St Hilda's are the only schools on the GC that offer boarding opportunities and we know TSS aren't interested in what we do so we virtually have to send them to All Saints if they want a private school education. There's nothing wrong with All Saints and I'm fairly sure we have a good relationship with them, but I think it would be better to have more than one option in that regard. It might be a different story for the girls because I don't think St Hilda's is as anti-AFL as TSS.

Anyway, it's something to think about moving forward.
Plenty of models to choose from. If the kid likes surfing, send him or her to PBC and billet them with a footy family. Do the same with other High Schools with AFL excellence programs. If the kid has finished school at 17 and wants to go to Griffith Uni to start studying, send them to Labrador or Southport, or if Bond is their option then match them with Broadbeach.

The Swans and Giants have so many kids in their Academies that the 19yos play for Sydney Uni and Canberra Demons as well as Swans2 and the GWS NEAFL side, which is actually affiliated with University of Western Sydney. If the NEAFL are super serious about the NEAFL, they should be putting in a 3rd Gold Coast NEAFL team and have plans for a North Queensland team.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Plenty of models to choose from. If the kid likes surfing, send him or her to PBC and billet them with a footy family. Do the same with other High Schools with AFL excellence programs. If the kid has finished school at 17 and wants to go to Griffith Uni to start studying, send them to Labrador or Southport, or if Bond is their option then match them with Broadbeach.

The Swans and Giants have so many kids in their Academies that the 19yos play for Sydney Uni and Canberra Demons as well as Swans2 and the GWS NEAFL side, which is actually affiliated with University of Western Sydney. If the NEAFL are super serious about the NEAFL, they should be putting in a 3rd Gold Coast NEAFL team and have plans for a North Queensland team.

Outstanding Sir.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think VFL and NEAFL will merge in the future with 2 division
VFL -
1) Boxhill
2) Casey
3) Coburg
4) Collingwood
5) Essendon
6) bulldog
7) Frankston
8) Geelong
9) northern Blues
10) North melb
11) Port Melbourne
12) Richmond
13) sandringham
14) Weribee
15) Williamstown
16) tasmania (2021)
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018...-is-prove-yourself-in-vfl/9935778?pfmredir=sm

plus 10 NEAFL teams .
13 teams in first division.
13-16 teams in division 2.

Last edited:

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think VFL and NEAFL will merge in the future with 2 division
VFL -
1) Boxhill
2) Casey
3) Coburg
4) Collingwood
5) Essendon
6) bulldog
7) Frankston
8) Geelong
9) northern Blues
10) North melb
11) Port Melbourne
12) Richmond
13) sandringham
14) Weribee
15) Williamstown
16) tasmania (2021)
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018...-is-prove-yourself-in-vfl/9935778?pfmredir=sm

plus 10 NEAFL teams .
13 teams in first division.
13-16 teams in division 2.
No. For all the reasons given in the article and for a million more. Just. Not. Happening.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Interesting to see what Raines had to say about Alex Davies:

We've had some success with moving north QLD kids down and having them board at All Saints (Jack Bowes did it a few years ago) so hopefully Davies can follow suit. I assume this means Davies will play club football for either Broadbeach or Surfers Paradise next year while also fulfilling academy/representative duties. He's going to really benefit from the new academy TAC Cup pathway over the next two years and here's hoping he adapts to the GC lifestyle quickly. Although if he continues to grow beyond 190cm we'll have to make a decision if we want to keep him in the midfield or push him into a key position up forward or down back.

We've done the hard work by convincing him to give up basketball and pursue footy with us, now we have to develop him into the best footballer he can possibly be. I just wish I could say the same for fellow Cairns junior Tamuri Wigness, who appears headed for the NBA.

NBA is a long long way off but some of the top scouts and talent evaluators (givony) say he has nba potential.
Got to be pretty damn good to make it if you’re only 5’11 though. Automatic defensive liability at that size. Would be nice for him to grow another 10cm!

Is currently in Vegas taking part in a few scrimmages
IMG_3063.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_3063.JPG
    IMG_3063.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 112

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

If a sponsor/footy family is an option, then obviously there aren't really any restrictions on which school they can attend on the GC. We've seen that with kids like Jacob Heron moving down and setting up base at PBC. However, I was exclusively talking about parents who want their child to board at a private school, in which case the options are extremely limited on the Gold Coast. It's not a coincidence that Bowes, Hine, Nicholls and the Weller brothers all attended All Saints when they relocated to the Gold Coast prior to turning 18.
NBA is a long long way off but some of the top scouts and talent evaluators (givony) say he has nba potential.
Got to be pretty damn good to make it if you’re only 5’11 though. Automatic defensive liability at that size. Would be nice for him to grow another 10cm!

Is currently in Vegas taking part in a few scrimmages View attachment 596126
He's on the right path to securing a College opportunity in the US and that's the main goal right now. Will he make it to the NBA? Hard to say right now but being invited to these NBA camps in the US definitely helps. Also, despite only being listed at 5'10, I've seen footage of him dunking so that kid has hops! Here's hoping he can get to at least 6ft as that seems to be the bare minimum for most in the NBA.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
If a sponsor/footy family is an option, then obviously there aren't really any restrictions on which school they can attend on the GC. We've seen that with kids like Jacob Heron moving down and setting up base at PBC. However, I was exclusively talking about parents who want their child to board at a private school, in which case the options are extremely limited on the Gold Coast. It's not a coincidence that Bowes, Hine, Nicholls and the Weller brothers all attended All Saints when they relocated to the Gold Coast prior to turning 18.

He's on the right path to securing a College opportunity in the US and that's the main goal right now. Will he make it to the NBA? Hard to say right now but being invited to these NBA camps in the US definitely helps. Also, despite only being listed at 5'10, I've seen footage of him dunking so that kid has hops! Here's hoping he can get to at least 6ft as that seems to be the bare minimum for most in the NBA.

I asked one draft follower on Twitter how wigness looked the first day of the scrimmage. He said
- undersized and out of control at times
- scored some buckets
- clearly can see he is talented.

Not bad to be honest. With some good coaching which he will hopefully get in college could build on that potential.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GEEitLONG

Debutant
Feb 27, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
The Suns need to check out a 10 year old (yes, that's 10 years old) kid who plays for All Saints. He's in 5th Grade and the son of Melbourne legend Jeff White. Kalani White already has AFL player written all over him - great mark, kick, tap ruckman and agile around the ground. Only problem is father/son rule BUT if the Suns were to embrace him early and he continues to bond with all his local team mates - there's at least a chance. Two other brothers as well but no nothing about them. If anybody has a connection with Suns recruiting they MUST check out this kid. He's a gem.

I spotted Austin Harris as an 11yo at the u12s state carnival in Townsville years ago. He is from Cairns, in the Suns academy, now live on GC with a scholarship. Won 'World team' selection this year as well as QLD u15s. Is highly regarded by academy. So yes, you can pick em from way out.

Another to watch (though not Suns area) Dylan Patterson. 11yo (sept) National carnival 100-200m sprint. State in 6 events. Broke 9 record for his Little Athletics club on Sunshine coast this year. Played for SC in u12s state carnival this year and picked up by Lions academy as an underage u12. Neat skills, fast, athletic.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I spotted Austin Harris as an 11yo at the u12s state carnival in Townsville years ago. He is from Cairns, in the Suns academy, now live on GC with a scholarship. Won 'World team' selection this year as well as QLD u15s. Is highly regarded by academy. So yes, you can pick em from way out.
Did both Austin Harris and Alex Davies receive sports scholarships to attend All Saints? I'm fairly sure there was an article released recently that said Davies was heading to All Saints next year so I assume Harris is in the same boat. If I'm not mistaken, Will Ashcroft will also be coming through All Saints in the same year as Harris so I'm sure their school team would be right up there with the best in QLD. It's a pretty impressive role call when you look at the AFL players that have graduated from All Saints; Nick Riewoldt, Lachie Weller, Maverick Weller, Kurt Tippett, Joel Tippett, Jack Bowes, Taylor Hine and Tom Nicholls. Special mention to cricketer Andrew Symonds too.

Sun Stormer Kalani White is another All Saints student FYI.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did both Austin Harris and Alex Davies receive sports scholarships to attend All Saints? I'm fairly sure there was an article released recently that said Davies was heading to All Saints next year so I assume Harris is in the same boat. If I'm not mistaken, Will Ashcroft will also be coming through All Saints in the same year as Harris so I'm sure their school team would be right up there with the best in QLD. It's a pretty impressive role call when you look at the AFL players that have graduated from All Saints; Nick Riewoldt, Lachie Weller, Maverick Weller, Kurt Tippett, Joel Tippett, Jack Bowes, Taylor Hine and Tom Nicholls. Special mention to cricketer Andrew Symonds too.

Sun Stormer Kalani White is another All Saints student FYI.
You're right about Alex Davies. Not sure about the others.

With all this new funding going into our academy and the new pathway including TAC Cup games, there has never been a greater time to be a Gold Coast junior and a better chance to make it to the big time. We should be producing Isaac Heeneys in no time!

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
SUNS U18 ACADEMY FIXTURES:

March 30: Suns Academy v Northern Territory. Blacktown, Sydney. 2.20pm.

April 6: Suns Academy v Brisbane Lions Academy. Qld, TBC. 11am.

April 14: Suns Academy v Oakleigh. Gold Coast. 10.45am.

April 27: Suns Academy v Eastern Ranges. Trevor Barker Oval. 1.15pm.

May 5: Suns Academy v Greater Western Victoria Rebels. 10.45am.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
SUNS U18 ACADEMY FIXTURES:

March 30: Suns Academy v Northern Territory. Blacktown, Sydney. 2.20pm.

April 6: Suns Academy v Brisbane Lions Academy. Qld, TBC. 11am.

April 14: Suns Academy v Oakleigh. Gold Coast. 10.45am.

April 27: Suns Academy v Eastern Ranges. Trevor Barker Oval. 1.15pm.

May 5: Suns Academy v Greater Western Victoria Rebels. 10.45am.
Do you have a link to the full schedule?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
AFL Cairns officials punting on entry to NTFL
AFL Cairns officials have held preliminary discussions about including a Far North-based team in the Northern Territory Football League competition.

AFL Northern Territory CEO Stuart Totham is aware of the advances from Cairns that have progressed over the last few months.

The NTFL is a summertime competition, with the potential Cairns team being made up of the best players from the AFL Cairns competition, as well as a handful of interstate recruits to improve the quality in the side, to play in the AFL Cairns off-season.

AFL Cairns have previously outlined plans to try and join an expanded NEAFL, with the potential NTFL move putting those plans in some doubt.

NTFL premiership coach Rick Nolan brought up the potential of expansion from Queensland up over the weekend.

“It is a fair way from happening but the wheels are in motion,” Nolan said.

“The Cairns Football League are trying to join the NTFL as early as next season.

“There (are) no talks between the two parties but on the Cairns side of things, there are pretty advanced.

“There are some very good football brains on the Cairns side of things.

“It needs to be a five-year plan.

The idea behind the potential Cairns team in the NTFL would be another pathway for talented Far North footballers who are not quite up to standard to play for the Gold Coast Suns in the NEAFL, but still want to advance their careers.

The NTFL have shown over the past decade they do not have much interest in expansion, with the Alice Springs Redtails winning several trial matches in the 2012-13 NTFL season, before their entry was knocked back.

The move would need to be ticked off and help funded by AFL headquarters out of Melbourne.

AFL Cairns operations manager Craig Lees said talks were ongoing between all parties.

“We are always looking at opportunities where we can improve the standard of footy in Cairns,” Lees said.

“We are about providing pathways for our juniors and improving the standard of the local competition.

“We have looked at the model of the NEAFL in the past and the NTFL is now being explored, but all in all we want to put Cairns footballers in the highest level they can get too in their careers.”

Cairns footballers Ezekiel Frank and Kye Chapple, among others, are regulars in the NTFL competition.

I think this would be a great outcome for our academy. Having the option to send academy players north over the summer months to compete in a relatively high standard competition in the NTFL would certainly help in terms of junior development. For example, we could send an NQ player like Dirk Koenen north to play in the NTFL for the Cairns-based team over the December-January stretch and then decide if we want to sign him to our AFL list as a rookie before the March deadline. Obviously it would also give our academy prospects based up in NQ an opportunity to be exposed to high level senior footy at a younger age, as well as mature prospects an opportunity to showcase their ability and increase their chances of being drafted before the March deadline.

It's a win for our academy if this happens.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

We've talked about Tamuri Wigness - young cairns athlete who was apparently a possible academy candidate - performing well on underage international bball circuits

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

We've talked about Tamuri Wigness - young cairns athlete who was apparently a possible academy candidate - performing well on underage international bball circuits

As far as I'm aware, Wigness stopped playing footy at the U15 level 2-3 years ago to focus on basketball. When you see this kid play basketball, you'll notice the skills he possesses and how they would transition into football. Our academy scouts did have their eyes on him but it's possible we got to him too late and he will likely forever be the one that got away for us.

Both Tamuri and Alex Davies were junior standouts as footballers and basketballers in Cairns. We managed to convince Davies to go the other way by quitting basketball to focus on football and relocating to the Gold Coast late last year. So it goes both ways, but Tamuri's athleticism, speed and vision is next level and I wish we had secured them both haha. Wigness briefly talks about his football background in this video (1:28-2:18):

On another Cairns/academy related note, our U16 program held trials last week and Austin Harris was the standout on the day. Harris followed Alex Davies' lead this off season and relocated to the GC to further his chances of a footy career and it would appear he is a prodigious talent. Despite the obvious geographical challenges, we're very fortunate to have the virtually untapped area of Cairns to recruit footballers from. For anyone who doesn't know, Cairns is similar to the Gold Coast in terms of sporting interests - Rugby league is number one but Aussie rules has a decent sized following and the local competition is run quite well. Compare that to Townsville where it is very much a rugby league town and simply won't produce anywhere near as many AFL footballers due to the locals not being as interested, despite having a larger population than Cairns.

Academy prospects like Davies and Harris will be exposed to a higher level of football at an earlier age with the new TAC Cup model being incoporated to our academy program and that really should render better footballers for us going forward. It might take a little while for these kids to adjust to the higher standard though.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Being apart of the TAC Cup model is one of the biggest things to ever happen for the Academy. They will be exposed to a high standard of competition that should sharpen them right up.
No doubt. It has the potential to really raise the standard of local footy in south east Queensland because a lot of these juniors who will be exposed to TAC Cup footy won't end up making it to the AFL and will likely end up in the NEAFL/QAFL. That should raise the local standard of football.

It's also interesting to see how we relocate talented juniors from North QLD. Just like Jack Bowes before him, Alex Davies will attend All Saints this year and play club footy for Surfers/Broadbeach whereas Austin Harris will go through the famed PBC school/footy system like Heron and Graham before him. There seems to be two very different paths for North Queenslanders who relocate our our academy program, which is based on whether the junior's parents want their child to go through the private or public schooling system.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For those who are interested, Austin Harris was best on again in round 2 of the U16 academy trials. Mr Bods you'll be happy to hear Malachi Dumas was voted best on for the Northern Rivers team. I assume both boys will be going through the PBC developmental program so you might want to keep an eye on how they progress.

Game 1
Gold Coast RED: 10.6.66 Northern Rivers GREY: 1.9.15
BEST GC RED: Will Bella, Seamus Robinson, Josh Smart, Jesse McLeod, Jared Eckersley
BEST NR GREY: Malachi Dumas, Jed Foggo, Kesh Raju, Nick Ratcliff, Connor Foreman-Keenan

Summary: An early downpour of rain meant that both teams were going to have to be ready for a contested style of game with the ball spending most of the game on the deck. The two losing teams from week one started with an improved mindset and intent around winning the contested ball and we saw players from both teams keeping their heads over the ball and wanting to win the ball in a contested situation, tackling on defence was also pointed out during the week and the boys showed they had listened by improving in this area. Gold Coast RED got themselves on top early by being cleaner with the ball in hand and making smarter decisions by hand and foot. This allowed them to open up a 6.1 to 0.0 lead at 1⁄4 time. Northern Rivers fought their way back into the game in the second 1⁄4 by being first to the ball and being more patient with their build up and ball use. A more even contest was on the cards and the NR group had the opportunity to close the gap on the scoreboard with 10 scoring shots to 9 after 1⁄4 time. The game was tightly contested in the second half with only 1 goal scored between the two teams. Gold Coast RED made the most of their early dominance and ran away 51 point winners.

Game 2
Gold Coast WHITE: 9.5.59 Gold Coast BLUE: 5.3.33
BEST GC WHITE: Austin Harris, Cade Gregory, Cody Harrington, Shaun Regan, Lochie Howell
BEST GC BLUE: Jackson Griffiths, Connor Vincent, Luke Coombes, Finn Brown, Leo Trueman

Summary:There was some friendly banter throughout the week between the 2 coaches leading the two winning teams from week one into the final trial game of phase one. Both coaches’ eager to take the crown and go through this trial period undefeated. The teams had each prepared themselves well and players were ready to perform and put their hand up for progression into phase two of the SUNS Academy program.
All players were willing to work on the areas identified as growth areas from week one and it showed with the intent around the contested football being a highlight from both groups. GC WHITE gave themselves an early lead of 9 points but could’ve been further ahead at the first break after outscoring the GC BLUE team with 7 opportunities in front of goal to 3. GC WHITE increased their lead again in the second 1⁄4 and led by 15 points at half time.
GC WHITE again did the damage on the scoreboard in the third 1⁄4 and stretched their lead out to 25 points, with the conditions being quite wet and the ball spending a lot of time on the ground, the lead was too much for GC BLUE to overcome and the difference at the end of the game was 26 points.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For those who are interested, Austin Harris was best on again in round 2 of the U16 academy trials. Mr Bods you'll be happy to hear Malachi Dumas was voted best on for the Northern Rivers team. I assume both boys will be going through the PBC developmental program so you might want to keep an eye on how they progress.

That is great news and thank you very much for sharing that information. I can confirm that as of this year Malachi is attending the PBC Finishing School Of GC Sports.
No doubt if he goes on to great things they will try and take the credit.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That is great news and thank you very much for sharing that information. I can confirm that as of this year Malachi is attending the PBC Finishing School Of GC Sports.
No doubt if he goes on to great things they will try and take the credit.
I figured he would end up at PBC. Looks like the Palmy Lions/Reds will be strong for many years to come.

A quick anecdote for you given your sporting interests - Will Bella was named best on for the U16 GC RED team. Those who are interested in footy would likely know he is the brother of Brisbane Lions AFLW ruck Lauren Bella but they may not know he is also the son of former South Queensland Crushers player Anthony Bella and nephew of Martin Bella, who was very successful rugby league player in the 80s and 90s. I can only assume you know who Martin Bella is Mr Bods.

Hopefully Will Bella makes it and we can continue to grow the family culture at our club. Lauren is 188cms tall so there's probably a really good chance he will end up being over 190cms tall.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In the wake of the great Cardinal Pedo Pell finally being outed today for what he is it would be a glorious thing if the Suns took the lead on this insidious issue and direct all Academy Kids to PBC and Helensvale State High Schools

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
In the wake of the great Cardinal Pedo Pell finally being outed today for what he is it would be a glorious thing if the Suns took the lead on this insidious issue and direct all Academy Kids to PBC and Helensvale State High Schools
I find this post in extremely poor taste, because you’re tarring ~20% of the population, and a great many school teachers around the country, due to the actions of small minority.

There was a recent discussion on one of the ABC programs about how child abusers tend to work in fields where they have contact with children.

My pure speculation would be that the percentage of such teachers would be similar in both private and public schooling, as such a predilection is not limited to those of the Catholic faith.

If you have an issue with Catholicism or religion, that’s fine. Don’t involve footy in it.

Back