Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

The way he moved (Gore) reminded me of Toby Greene, running to a spot to receive the ball.

Budarick breaking clear of the middle and putting a nice kick to the dangerous space inside 50 was also really nice.

Thought he was a Benowa high student
You're right. I mixed him up with somebody else. Benowa have done a pretty good job of producing AFL players over last few decades - Daniel Merrett, Dayne Zorko and Brent Renouf. I'm fairly sure they have a good relationship with the Surfers Demons and that obviously has a lot to do with the close proximity between the school and club.

Sam Hilton-Joyce kicked another 2 goals for the Surfers Paradise seniors yesterday. He's up to 9 goals in 3 senior QAFL games now.

I also noticed the QAFL Vimeo channel (https://vimeo.com/channels/qafl) uploads every quarter of every QAFL game. Couple that with the NEAFL YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/NorthEastAFL) which uploads every NEAFL game as well as the NAB League YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVF9Aw4e89CY2u31_UkPCOA), and we literally have video access to all top level footy being played in south east QLD. This makes following our academy prospects much easier.

Minor Infraction
Suns young gun’s draft aim

Anyone else getting Zorko vibes from the constant mentioning of Budarick's height? Connor is 1cm shorter than Ainsworth yet no one talks about Ainsworth's height being an issue. Very strange.

I'm torn with where I want Budarick to fall in the draft. Of course I'd love him to be a top 10 prospect but I also don't want us to use the Lions' first rounder we have (currently pick 15) on him. If we get a top 10 pick with our first rounder, a top 15 pick with Brisbane's first rounder AND Budarick then we should be very happy with that outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the drafts board on poster has submitted some stats from the recent Allies vs. Vic Country (below) and Allies vs Vic Metro practice matches.
They played them back - back

Crossly did ok in the first with 17 possessions, 5 clearances and a goal.
Matt Conroy kicked 3 goals from 9 possessions and 5 marks, also had 19 hitouts
Joyce quieter.
Ace didn't touch the ball in the second half (so may have played in game 2 as well)

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 4.58.26 PM.png

In the other game Budarick had 21 possessions - in depth stats not available.

Connor Budarick named to the U/18 All Australian team!
I hate to say this, but he shouldn’t have been.

At best, he should have been on the bench.

As already discussed on the draft board, it was a “political” decision as he won the Academy series award, and couldn’t be left out.

Jeremy Sharp shouldn’t have been named either.

So, if I’m dropping one player, it’s Sharp.

Will Day from SA deserved to be named instead of Budarick in the starting back line.

Please don’t take this as a slight against Budarick, it’s not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to say this, but he shouldn’t have been.

At best, he should have been on the bench.

As already discussed on the draft board, it was a “political” decision as he won the Academy series award, and couldn’t be left out.

Jeremy Sharp shouldn’t have been named either.

So, if I’m dropping one player, it’s Sharp.

Will Day from SA deserved to be named instead of Budarick in the starting back line.

Please don’t take this as a slight against Budarick, it’s not.
I also don't see him as HB. Midfielder for me.

Last game of the champs vs. SA
Abbreviated notes from AFL draft central

Hewago Paul Oea
His defensive pressure and damage on the outside was terrific, while also flicking out effective handballs when under a touch more pressure.

Connor Budarick

Named All Australian in the back pocket, Budarick’s Academy Series MVP award was largely earned for his work through the midfield, and his handball-heavy 21 disposals ensured a solid end to his national carnival. He is all heart, but has the speed and finishing qualities up forward to make him even more desirable for the Suns.

Crossley

16 handballs from 22 disposals – with six clearances to boot. Played his role well and provided a physical edge, but can work on polishing up his disposal and running game.

I reckon Ace becomes the best AFL player of the lot.

Last game of the champs vs. SA
Abbreviated notes from AFL draft central

Hewago Paul Oea
His defensive pressure and damage on the outside was terrific, while also flicking out effective handballs when under a touch more pressure.

Connor Budarick

Named All Australian in the back pocket, Budarick’s Academy Series MVP award was largely earned for his work through the midfield, and his handball-heavy 21 disposals ensured a solid end to his national carnival. He is all heart, but has the speed and finishing qualities up forward to make him even more desirable for the Suns.

Crossley

16 handballs from 22 disposals – with six clearances to boot. Played his role well and provided a physical edge, but can work on polishing up his disposal and running game.

I reckon Ace becomes the best AFL player of the lot.
Ace has a lot of X factor and upside but he also has a long way to go. Needs to learn a lot of football smarts, if he can get that right and put on a bit of weight watch out

Ace has a lot of X factor and upside but he also has a long way to go. Needs to learn a lot of football smarts, if he can get that right and put on a bit of weight watch out

I like that he can find the ball.
For a young athletic guy with limited AFL exposure, that he can actually get his hands on the ball is very encouraging for his development.

Game 3: 15 disposals, 5 inside 50's, 1 GA, 6 tackles
Game 2: 12 disposals, 3 inside 50's, 1 goal, , 3 tackles
Game 1: 7 disposals, 1 GA, 5 tackles

Something to get excited about Little Plugger kicked a couple of snags.

The worry is Lions academy talk kicked 8

Something to get excited about Little Plugger kicked a couple of snags.

The worry is Lions academy talk kicked 8
I wouldn’t worry about Noah McFadyen. First he’s not a tall at 186cm.

Second, he’s also captain of the Australian U16 cricket team, and his dad is very high up in Cricket Australia.

Second, he’s also captain of the Australian U16 cricket team, and his dad is very high up in Cricket Australia.
How tall are 15 year old talls?
186cm and not stopped growing you'd think - I reckon he'll end up a 'tall' mid 190's probably.

Sounds like a great little all-rounder from accounts (Going off of a quick google search with the first page being exclusively cricket) definitely look forward to him skittling some Pommy wickets in a few years time.

How tall are 15 year old talls?
186cm and not stopped growing you'd think - I reckon he'll end up a 'tall' mid 190's probably.
If he's my height already at 15/16, Good chances are he'll be a decent sized tall by the time he's 18/19. - Unless he's already had his growth spurt.

Well done to Bailey for receiving the Rising Star nomination this week. Unfortunate that we missed out on getting Bailey in his draft year but there's hope for the future. His brother Darby plays for the Broadbeach juniors and is coming through our academy system at the moment. I believe he is draft eligible next year. Obviously if we can convince Darby to stay with us then that increases our chances of bringing Bailey home in the future. Having the two Scott brothers playing for their hometown team on the Gold Coast would be a great story. If anyone is wondering, apparently Darby is quite the talented footballer as well.

Let's hope it plays out like it did with the Swallow brothers where we recruit the younger brother and the older brother decides he wants to leave North to join us later in his career.
Lol.. When did Andrew leave North to play for Suns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back