Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Seven Darwin football players who should be on the radar of the Gold Coast Suns

The Bulletin spoke with AFL Northern Territory manager of talent and pathways, Wally Gallio, to discover the top Darwin players who could be given a shot at the top level in 2019 or 2020.

Eligible 2019
Malcolm Rosasa 175cm, 74kg, Small forward-defender
Ben Jungfer 185cm, 75kg, Inside midfielder-medium defender
Kieren Parnell 188cm, 77kg, Medium defender-midfielder
Brandon Rusca 186cm, 71kg, Halfback-wing

Eligible 2020
Joel Jeffrey 189cm, 75kg, Third tall defender-utility
Tyrrell Lui 189cm, 71kg, Utility
Brodie Lake 186cm, 73kg, In and outside midfielder-third defender

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...AkeLVlNGWm7RZio2IxgA26agKKXpj1ODFV3uMVHauvN4w

Last edited:

Seven Darwin football players who should be on the radar of the Gold Coast Suns

The Bulletin spoke with AFL Northern Territory manager of talent and pathways, Wally Gallio, to discover the top Darwin players who could be given a shot at the top level in 2019 or 2020.

Eligible 2019
Malcolm Rosasa 75cm, 74kg, Small forward-defender
Ben Jungfer 185cm, 75kg, Inside midfielder-medium defender
Kieren Parnell 188cm, 77kg, Medium defender-midfielder
Brandon Rusca 186cm, 71kg, Halfback-wing

Eligible 2020
Joel Jeffrey 189cm, 75kg, Third tall defender-utility
Tyrrell Lui 189cm, 71kg, Utility
Brodie Lake 186cm, 73kg, In and outside midfielder-third defender

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...AkeLVlNGWm7RZio2IxgA26agKKXpj1ODFV3uMVHauvN4w
75cm?

From afl draft central on the u17 exhibition game on grand final day

#22 Joel Jeffrey (Northern Territory)

Jeffrey is an excitement machine up either end with his marking and running abilities and proved as much in this game. He started down back and positioned well behind the ball to snap up much of what came his way. Jeffrey’s one-on-one marking was sound too, which is a handy addition to his eye-catching outside play. While his forward run and long kicks helped him impact the play past the wing, Jeffrey was moved up the other end more permanently to good effect with two goals in the second half. The Wanderers’ product snuck out the back well on both occasions, marking inside 50 and slotting home with a lovely set shot action.

#21 Alex Davies (Gold Coast SUNS Academy)

The Gold Coast academy prospect was one of Team Dal Santo’s better performers going through the midfield and winning plenty of the ball especially early. He is a nice size as a modern day tall midfielder and he had no trouble winning first possession and dishing it out to his runners. He kicked a lovely goal in the last quarter under pressure he was able to cleanly pickup and quickly kick a nice running goal.

Online Registration closes October 25th

63e34f9f0a2cf66228d8df38fc765b5c.jpg

I believe he will have to choose just like Bailey Scott.

He can go to Freo, Richmond or I guess the suns now or choose to go into the draft and anyone can take him
He can only go to Freo and Richmond or nominate the draft. He has not participated in either Essendon or GCS academies. He will be at Richmond. He's living in Melbourne and attending Scotch college. Is at Richmond training occasionally. If he's any good Richmond will draft him. He has stated he wants to play alongside his cousin with the Tigers.

Interesting anecdote on the for anyone out there who is interested. Connor Budarick's father (Craig) was drafted by the Sydney Swans in 1989 but suffered an injury which essentially ruined his AFL career. His SANFL footy career with Glenelg was short in the late 80s/early 90s but he did manage to kick 150 goals in just 66 games for the Glenelg seniors.

Interesting anecdote on the for anyone out there who is interested. Connor Budarick's father (Craig) was drafted by the Sydney Swans in 1989 but suffered an injury which essentially ruined his AFL career. His SANFL footy career with Glenelg was short in the late 80s/early 90s but he did manage to kick 150 goals in just 66 games for the Glenelg seniors.
Damn, that's sad. What kind of injury ended his career?

Five male SUNS Academy players have been named to represent the Allies in next year’s 2020 AFL Academy Squad.

Future prospects Alex Davies, Aiden Fyfe, Jack Johnston, Rhys Nicholls and Ryan Pickering were all named in the 30-player squad announced on Wednesday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five male SUNS Academy players have been named to represent the Allies in next year’s 2020 AFL Academy Squad.

Future prospects Alex Davies, Aiden Fyfe, Jack Johnston, Rhys Nicholls and Ryan Pickering were all named in the 30-player squad announced on Wednesday.

Plus Jeffries the NT player who I'm sure well be lining up for.

Another anecdote for people who are interested. Jack Johnston is a 194cm defender from Burleigh/Palm Beach Currumbin and his father (David) played in the AFL for Essendon and Fitzroy. Luckily for us, David did not play 100 games for either the Bombers or the Roys and therefore is not father-son eligible for either club. Perhaps most interesting to some may be that David was only 180cms tall while Jack currently stands 194cms and is possibly still growing. So that adds to Budarick this year (his father Craig was drafted by the Swans) and Bailey Scott last year whose father (Robert) played for Geelong and the Roos.

I think this is a trend that will continue long into the future because a lot of former VFL/AFL players come to the Gold Coast post footy career to retire because of the lifestyle.

Damn, that's sad. What kind of injury ended his career?
Not sure but it can't have been that bad because he continued to play in the SANFL for a few years. It just prevented him from playing at the highest level.

Last edited:
Another anecdote for people who are interested. Jack Johnston is a 194cm defender from Burleigh/Palm Beach Currumbin and his father (David) played in the AFL for Essendon and Fitzroy. Luckily for us, David did not play 100 games for either the Bombers or the Roys and therefore is not father-son eligible for either club. Perhaps most interesting to some may be that David was only 180cms tall while Jack currently stands 194cms and is possibly still growing. So that adds to Budarick this year (his father Craig was drafted by the Swans) and Bailey Scott last year whose father (Robert) played for Geelong and the Roos.

I think this is a trend that will continue long into the future because a lot of former VFL/AFL players come to the Gold Coast post footy career to retire because of the lifestyle.

Not sure but it can't have been that bad because he continued to play in the SANFL for a few years. It just prevented him from playing at the highest level.
3 consecutive knee reconstructions I believe, obviously the surgeries where a bit different back then

The AFLQ Schools Cup state final is being played right now between.... you guessed it. PBC v Helensvale (again). We're late in the third quarter here and PBC are up by 2 points. Plenty of Suns academy players for both schools. The Courier Mail is streaming the game for anyone interested.

The AFLQ Schools Cup state final is being played right now between.... you guessed it. PBC v Helensvale (again). We're late in the third quarter here and PBC are up by 2 points. Plenty of Suns academy players for both schools. The Courier Mail is streaming the game for anyone interested.

Great to see the Pubo’s leading the way again.
Thanks for the update.
Could you please send a Fulltime score if possible.

What a finish! Our academy gun Aiden Fyfe kicked a goal AFTER THE SIREN to win the state final for Helensvale! In doing so he snapped a four-year stranglehold on the state championship for PBC and delivered Helensvale their first state title in over five years. The boys in red were absolutely shattered when Fyfe kicked it through the big sticks.

The Vale are state champs once again!

Great to see the Pubo’s leading the way again.
Thanks for the update.
Could you please send a Fulltime score if possible.
Helensvale 3.6 (24) def. PBC 2.8 (20)

What a finish! Our academy gun Aiden Fyfe kicked a goal AFTER THE SIREN to win the state final for Helensvale! In doing so he snapped a four-year stranglehold on the state championship for PBC and delivered Helensvale their first state title in over five years. The boys in red were absolutely shattered when Fyfe kicked it through the big sticks.

Thanks heaps. A great result. Helensvale reward for toil and lots of heartbreak and a reality check that will improve the PBC program.
The low score is a massive surprise.

Thanks heaps. A great result. Helensvale reward for toil and lots of heartbreak and a reality check that will improve the PBC program.
The low score is a massive surprise.
I'm sure PBC will be absolutely pumped to get revenge next year. Overall it was a great day for Gold Coast footy with GC schools claiming five of the six division championships.

Senior male: Helensvale def. PBC
Senior female: Miami def. PBC
Junior male: PBC def. St Augustine's (Cairns)
Junior female: PBC def. Varsity
Primary male: Padua (Brisbane) def. Stella Maris (Sunshine Coast)
Primary female: Hillcrest def. Walkervale (Bundaberg)

I'm sure PBC will be absolutely pumped to get revenge next year. Overall it was a great day for Gold Coast footy with GC schools claiming five of the six division championships.

Senior male: Helensvale def. PBC
Senior female: Miami def. PBC
Junior male: PBC def. St Augustine's (Cairns)
Junior female: PBC def. Varsity
Primary male: Padua (Brisbane) def. Stella Maris (Sunshine Coast)
Primary female: Hillcrest def. Walkervale (Bundaberg)

Thanks very much for that.

That Senior Female result really surprises as I have no idea about Miami but I do know PBC has been well and truly training up a girls squad for a number of years now.
Well done to the Miami girls.

Last edited:
That Senior Female result really surprises as I have no idea about Miami but I do know PBC has been well and truly training up a girls squad for a number of years now.
Well done to the Miami girls.
I was not aware of Miami's Aussie rules program either. Perhaps the most surprising result is Hillcrest claiming the state championship in the primary female division. Hillcrest is a basketball school that has shown very little interest in football in the past but they began taking it more seriously this year when Matthew Lappin (a former assistant coach for us) started a football program there this year. Now they are state champions!

Varsity is also a basketball school and it's encouraging to see one of their teams in the state final as well. Just goes to show the transition from basketball to football often renders good results.

up the vale!!!!

Hi all,
I'm being Gold Coast in our Dogs Mock Draft and these are the players i have pre-selected

Hope this follows your views

Connor Budarick
Matthew Conroy
Malcolm Roasas Jnr
Hewago Paul Oea
Fitzroy Greenwool
Josh Gore
Ashton Crossley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back