Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Peel is that you?
Nope, I don't talk to myself in BF. People here are crazy, you only have that many players to pick, you going to miss out a few academy players, no big deal. I get the feel good story, but some just not good enough or wait until next year to be draft.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hahahhahahahhahaha. Who said GCS need draft pick for Budarick before this.
I LAUGH SO LOUND when the assitant package announced. Well deserved trading thread ban for both.

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Ace out there taking part in the pre-season time trial.
Getting to know what it's like to be part of the top squad.

Conroy easily bigger than BKing when standing shoulder to shoulder.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
APS male and female Grand Finals held at Metricon Stadium
Metricon Stadium once again hosted the Associated Private Schools’ AFL competition Grand Finals this year on Friday afternoon.

Eight Gold Coast private schools compete in the APS program which is the region’s biggest school sporting competition.

SUNS players Jacob Dawson (AFL) and Taylor Smith (AFLW) presented the best on ground medals for the senior boys and senior girls finals.

Smith awarded the medal created in her name – as a former APS student herself from Coomera – while Dawson awarded the Nick Riewoldt medal for the senior boys.

In total, six Grand Finals were played on the day across both male and female divisions – Junior, Intermediate and Senior teams.

This was the second year the APS Grand Finals were hosted at Metricon Stadium after first being held at the venue in 2018.

Results:

Senior Girls

Coomera Anglican College 39

Somerset College 29

Taylor Smith medallist: Grace Jordan (Coomera)

Senior Boys

Coomera Anglican College 28

All Saints Anglican School 27

Nick Riewoldt medallist: Zane Bowser (Coomera)

Anyone else see this article on the club website on Monday? Coomera Anglican College claimed both the senior male and female APS AFL championships late last week. It would have been a special moment for one of our AFLW players Taylor Smith presenting the medals to the female players because she graduated from Coomera Anglican College herself last year. Is CAC on the verge of becoming a breeding ground for future AFL/AFLW players?

You can tell the club wants this to work because the article says "the APS program which is the region’s biggest school sporting competition".

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
APS male and female Grand Finals held at Metricon Stadium

Anyone else see this article on the club website on Monday? Coomera Anglican College claimed both the senior male and female APS AFL championships late last week. It would have been a special moment for one of our AFLW players Taylor Smith presenting the medals to the female players because she graduated from Coomera Anglican College herself last year. Is CAC on the verge of becoming a breeding ground for future AFL/AFLW players?

You can tell the club wants this to work because the article says "the APS program which is the region’s biggest school sporting competition".

PBC and Helensvale would belt them in both genders.
Good on them though for winning their 8 team competition which is always a great achievement.
Very late in the year to be playing AFL. That’s commendable too given how warm it is now.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
How long would APS have had AFL? Maybe 5 years?
I guess they look to separate it from Rugby Union season as there may be a significant cross over in participants?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
PBC and Helensvale would belt them in both genders.
That much is obvious but clearly the club is trying to expand into the private school system as well. It'll be interesting to see over the next 10-15 years if any of the APS schools begin taking Aussie rules seriously and establish excellence programs. I know down in Melbourne it's only been a recent development that the elite private schools began offering scholarships to all the best junior footballers and started hiring ex AFL legends to coach the kids. It's why Ben King was able to receive coaching from Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd every week when he attended Haileybury. I think we're starting to see it up here too with the likes of Matthew Lappin now coaching at Hillcrest College and our current AFLW player Jamie Stanton coaching at Southport High. There's probably more I don't know about.
How long would APS have had AFL? Maybe 5 years?
I guess they look to separate it from Rugby Union season as there may be a significant cross over in participants?
Does anyone actually know when the APS AFL competition was established on the Gold Coast? I know Nick Riewoldt was unable to play football when he was a student at All Saints but that was a while ago...

For sure the rugby union season in the first half of the year is the reason they pushed it into the second half of the year but that also means it directly competes with basketball so there won't be any crossover between basketballers and footballers, which is unfortunate.

IMG_9715.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good to see given he could be at Schoolies right now but instead he's at the gym. I think Gore is the one academy guy we could still rookie draft so hopefully he continues to put his best foot forward.
Hope so. Knows where the goals are. I like his work ethic also.

Krozza

All Australian
Dec 11, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys!!
Please explain...

I thought I read we could draft any player from our academy and other clubs were not allowed to bid on them. Since Darwin is now a part of our academy zone wouldn't it stand to reason we get exclusive access to Maurice Rioli Jr next year?
He is FS to Tigers. Word is he won't make it. Has serious kicking issues.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I can’t reply in the draft thread, but I want to correct something Peel said.

In the discussion about Josh Gore, Peel said if there was a long term injury you could pick Josh up in the mid season draft.

This is not exactly the case.

If Josh signs for Southport or another NEAFL club, then you or any other club can draft Josh in the mid season draft.

But if he signs on as an U19 academy kid, then you can’t. No one can. He is an over age academy player and you guys can prelist him next year, before next years draft.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I can’t reply in the draft thread, but I want to correct something Peel said.

In the discussion about Josh Gore, Peel said if there was a long term injury you could pick Josh up in the mid season draft.

This is not exactly the case.

If Josh signs for Southport or another NEAFL club, then you or any other club can draft Josh in the mid season draft.

But if he signs on as an U19 academy kid, then you can’t. No one can. He is an over age academy player and you guys can prelist him next year, before next years draft.
I just presume GCS get pick 1 in mid season draft.If GCS is doing better than expected then GCS make the right choice not drafting him as current players is more than capable performing to acceptable level.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
*sigh*

It's a little frustrating (yes I know I brought it upon myself) not being able to contribute meaningfully to discussions in your draft and trade thread.

There was comment in the discussion about which type of academy kids the club should rookie list, and one poster made a comment that Hawthorn wouldn't rookie list an speculative athlete ahead of a footballer. They did exactly that last summer in the SSP when they signed their CEO's sun to a rookie contract.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
*sigh*

It's a little frustrating (yes I know I brought it upon myself) not being able to contribute meaningfully to discussions in your draft and trade thread.

There was comment in the discussion about which type of academy kids the club should rookie list, and one poster made a comment that Hawthorn wouldn't rookie list an speculative athlete ahead of a footballer. They did exactly that last summer in the SSP when they signed their CEO's sun to a rookie contract.
Yeah the CEOs son averaged 4 disposals in the VFL. The exact stat some people were using to s**t on Murtagh saying Hawthorn would never recruit like that... Lol

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

Back