Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Sunstar

Senior List
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thoughts on Colenso's game so far? Has he been good or just been in the right place at the right time to get on the end of a few?
Watching on stream so hard to tell, seems like am undersized full forward, Took a good mark, Nicholls looked good, Gore is probably above this level and James Smith did some nice things, for Brisbane Coleman and Michael seemed the best

Gore was good. Could have been better in front of goal but overall he played well.
Yeah, on his last, the wind didn't help. But he was in the mix of it all, getting those opportunities. Has fantastic forward pressure, his tackling is sublime. Good at stoppages.
Looks like he was playing wing/inside mid, then floating forward?

we won't get priority access to him because of his former academy links, is that correct?
That's what it says in the GCB

Fahey provides one of the most intriguing subplots of the underage academy players at the Suns. He was originally part of the Greater Western Sydney academy while living in Canberra but moved up to the Gold Coast with his family, falling into the lap of the Suns. There is just one problem: under the current academy rules Fahey can’t be drafted with priority by either Gold Coast or GWS. The rules state if you leave your academy zone you forgo the opportunity to be picked up by that club. You also need to be in an academy zone for five years leading up to the draft, meaning the Suns can’t guarantee he will join their AFL system either.

Sunstar

Senior List
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I still wonder why Pescud didn’t make the AFL academy. Might still be my favourite GC prospect after Davies.
Think he needs to play Allies , dominated as a junior and got caught today when he normally gets away with it. Playing at a higher level will help him get more of a balance as a footballer

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Think he needs to play Allies , dominated as a junior and got caught today when he normally gets away with it. Playing at a higher level will help him get more of a balance as a footballer
Caught a few times but like to see him take the game on, got away with it a few times aswell. Not many players in this draft have his combination of traits.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
How good is it though that both our Boys Academy and Girls Academy Head coaches are both former suns players in Andrew Raines and Sam Illes?!

Sunstar

Senior List
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Caught a few times but like to see him take the game on, got away with it a few times aswell. Not many players in this draft have his combination of traits.
Guess there needs to be a balance Josh Gore is a year older but seems to play within his limitations a bit more ( though he kicked about 1 , 5 as a mid today) Fyfe the same. Max needs a season playing against the best juniors in the country and men . I think you will find with all the academy players that unless they attract a bid they won't take them unless they are 19. Colenso and Gore are light years ahead of Conroy and Murtagh who were taken last year

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Guess there needs to be a balance Josh Gore is a year older but seems to play within his limitations a bit more ( though he kicked about 1 , 5 as a mid today) Fyfe the same. Max needs a season playing against the best juniors in the country and men . I think you will find with all the academy players that unless they attract a bid they won't take them unless they are 19. Colenso and Gore are light years ahead of Conroy and Murtagh who were taken last year
Cant really compare those pair though can you?

There are plenty of smalls that were rated highly enough and either didn't go or went late.

I don't really know these players, just the names
O'Niell that went to WCE in rookie draft
Cassar I think went undrafted?

recruiters are not choosing the best u18 players. Does someone like Colenso have the attributes to be an AFL forward? What kind of player would he be?

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Josh Gore just sent me a message on insta after I complimented him. I've also told him to try get his hands on the ball a bit more. Make his mark and make people (recruiters) pay attention. heh.
When he gets picked up he can credit you with that bit of wisdom Jen.
Good to see he is responsive to fans.

Screenshot_20200809-161524_Instagram.jpeg

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems to be a nice kid, think he comes from a single parent family as I only ever see his father at the games. Overall think this years will produce a number of draftees in the future
Ah, I didn't know. But not unusual. Unless there is a reason his mother doesn't go. I know he has a brother who now lives in Melbourne. I follow his insta, but otherwise I don't know much about him. Seems like a nice, hard working boy from what I can see.

Gold Coast:

By: Ed Pascoe

#13 Rhys Nicholls

Nicholls did not have the most productive game but he was still able to show his skill and talent with some nice spin moves and classy movement from the back half. The clever left-footer looked very smooth whenever he got possession and like many of his teammates, always took the opportunity to move the ball forward as quickly and cleanly as possible.

#14 Max Pescud

Maybe the most unlucky Suns player not to be included in the AFL based academy, he has been a regular goal scorer in the QAFL and backed that up again. He kicked multiple goals while also unselfishly passing off more opportunities as he could have easily ended up with about five goals himself. A quick player who takes the game on, tackles, and marks with intent despite his light frame, he came undone a few times with his run but when he was up-and-running and taking bounces, he looked very sharp and even got some time through the midfield late in the game, winning a few clearances.

#19 Josh Fahey

Fahey played for NSW/ACT in last year’s Under 16 championships and now finds himself with the Gold Coast Suns, although he wont be tied to any academies for next year’s draft. That’ll come as a sigh of relief for all AFL clubs, as he put on a best on ground performance down back. Fahey wasn’t hard to miss with his blonde locks but he also wasn’t hard to miss for the Lions going inside 50 as they kicked it down his throat multiple times. Fahey cut off plenty of attacks, attacking the contest hard and cleanly. His left-foot kicking from defence was a real feature, both long and damaging, and he had a major influence on the result. Fahey looks to be a very promising prospect for the 2021 draft.

#20 Aiden Fyfe

Fyfe had the ball on a string on his favoured wing position, and would had to have been the leading possession winner on the ground as he was involved in every quarter as one of the most consistent players afield. Fyfe found the ball all over the ground, working hard defensively and offensively. He was one of many to kick a goal in the first quarter with a nice snap and he would set up countless others with his clean hands and composure when in possession. Fyfe rarely wasted his touches and often hit teammates in a better position than himself. Despite not being the quickest player out there, he was certainly one of the sharpest in both skill and mind with ball in hand.

#22 Jack Johnston

The captain of the side, Johnston was a rock in defence at centre half-back. He took some nice strong marks and was cool and composed across the back half. Johnston is a strong player already standing at 195cm and 95kg, using his frame well both overhead and over the ball, and his disposals were often very clean for a big man.

Others:

A couple of over-agers who impressed were forwards, Josh Gore and Nathan Colenso. Both were able to hit the scoreboard multiple times and look damaging, with Colenso on the lead, and Gore mixing between the lead and in play. Both have been prominent goalkickers at QAFL level, and brought that same form into the game, with Gore’s clean hands and Colenso’s strength and tackling ability amongst the attributes that stood out for the respective forwards.

Are you sure about start time? When you click on the link it shows 11:30 am. So maybe starting at noon?
Yes I think noon. Last week the live stream since 11:30, but didn't start til 12. And in the title it has. "U18 academy sun v lions game 12 live stream" I think the "12" means the time.

Back