Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Spends one year in Adelaide and suddenly his heart is with SA? :rolleyes:

I'm sure we'll bring in Lake and he'll feel more at home with other Darwin players he would have played footy with/against for 10+ years like Rosas Jr and Jeffrey. People also told us Rankine's heart was with South Australia and that he would definitely request a trade home within his first two years. Then he re-signed with us.
And Rankine grew up there!!

Wearmouth65

Rookie
Nov 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol Brodie Lake is a far better prospect. We will take our chances thanks!

Also I very highly doubt his heart is in SA. He went there due to limited options you clown.
He didn't come over to play the Allie series with the other Nt kids, went to SA for the combine instead of going to Qld one. Doesn't sound like he is embracing his GC opportunity like others

Wouldn't you rather a local kid who has put his heart into the gold coast academy program that could work out just as good , Lui may be a better NT option along he is a key defender and has at least made the effort to travel to Qld this year. Just don't think Lake is that good (footballer not athlete) unlike Jeffrey to put above other possible academy options

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
He didn't come over to play the Allie series with the other Nt kids, went to SA for the combine instead of going to Qld one. Doesn't sound like he is embracing his GC opportunity like others

Wouldn't you rather a local kid who has put his heart into the gold coast academy program that could work out just as good , Lui may be a better NT option along he is a key defender and has at least made the effort to travel to Qld this year. Just don't think Lake is that good (footballer not athlete) unlike Jeffrey to put above other possible academy options
Nah , kids just want to be on AFL list , especially with list cut . Also this is only a forum , decision is not make by us .

Last edited:

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Think his heart is in SA, U would be better off spending some time into academy kids like Fyfe and Nicholls , not as fast but play the same position with better disposal
His heart is in SA?

Has he spent time there before the past 8 weeks?
Think he played colts in WA in 2019.

I don't think anyone else is taking Fyfe and Nicholls. I'm happy for them to continue their development in the second grade. If they continue to show AFL level traits then would be happy to welcome them to our list.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Some speculation clubs may only be required to take 2 players in the draft this year due to list squeeze. So we may just end up taking pick 5 and Davies anyway if no space 🤷‍♂️

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Some speculation clubs may only be required to take 2 players in the draft this year due to list squeeze. So we may just end up taking pick 5 and Davies anyway if no space 🤷‍♂️
No chance that happens.
We don't pass up a top 30 pick like Jeffries that we can get for free.

He could be that 3rd tall up forward we are looking for.

Obviously we will wait to see what happens in list sizes but don't see us missing out on him.

Wearmouth65

Rookie
Nov 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
His heart is in SA?

Has he spent time there before the past 8 weeks?
Think he played colts in WA in 2019.

I don't think anyone else is taking Fyfe and Nicholls. I'm happy for them to continue their development in the second grade. If they continue to show AFL level traits then would be happy to welcome them to our list.
Believe one of these kids was a late replacement at the combine for Lake, my point is that if you are overlooked in your initial draft you are really up against it to be picked up in the future. Remember Fyfe, Nicholls and Reeves have performed well against men and the other kid has been playing under 18s. They also have much better disposal. Just don't think you should throw away loyalty to the kids who have bruised for your side in academy games just because you have access to another region (again Jeffery is different as he is a super talent and has made the journey across twice), especially when the NT Kid would be scratching the top 50 at best and may not be better than your academy options long term

TheGeneralmeg

Senior List
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Believe one of these kids was a late replacement at the combine for Lake, my point is that if you are overlooked in your initial draft you are really up against it to be picked up in the future. Remember Fyfe, Nicholls and Reeves have performed well against men and the other kid has been playing under 18s. They also have much better disposal. Just don't think you should throw away loyalty to the kids who have bruised for your side in academy games just because you have access to another region (again Jeffery is different as he is a super talent and has made the journey across twice), especially when the NT Kid would be scratching the top 50 at best and may not be better than your academy options long term
dont think they will have the list places for all the kids listed above except Jeffery

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't believe we should be listing players that wouldn't be recruited to any other club just because they're from our academy.

We've had enough Jared Ellis', Connor Nutting, Jacob Heron's etc..

If we think they have the capacity to make it as AFL players then we should take them.
We shouldn't just list academy kids, because they're academy kids.

If two candidates are as good as each other, then of course im going academy every day. I'm not choosing an inferior option just because he's been in the academy for a few years though.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Does this affect us? Is our zone access in Darwin NGA access or just normal academy access?
I don't think it affects us.

Darwin is now one of our academy zones.
  • Northern NSW (Evans Head to the Queensland Border)
  • Gold Coast to Logan
  • Gladstone to Cape York
  • Darwin metropolitan

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I don't think it affects us.

Darwin is now one of our academy zones.
  • Northern NSW (Evans Head to the Queensland Border)
  • Gold Coast to Logan
  • Gladstone to Cape York
  • Darwin metropolitan
All the fertile footy factories LOL

1604526807536.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yep, Lockett is next year.

Other names to look out for along with Will Bella are Bohdi Uwland, Austin Harris, Jed Foggo, Finn Brown, Tiare Broughton-Ferris and Brinn Little.
From memory, Jye Lockett and Will Bella completely dominated the U16 National Championships last year as Queensland's key forwards so it would be really nice to get both on our list next year.

Do we retain the right to draft Jye Lockett as a member of our academy next year? I suppose his situation is really no different to someone like Jacob Hopper who grew up in country NSW and began boarding at St Patrick's College in Ballarat in Year 11 before being academy drafted by the Giants two years later. Jye has done the exact same thing by boarding at St Patrick's College in Ballarat earlier this year and will be draft eligible at the end of next year. So I can't possibly see how we don't still have access to Jye through our academy unless some applicable rule has changed since Hopper came through in 2015. It's just extremely rare for a Queenslander to board at a school in Victoria and therefore we don't 100% know.

Speaking of Queenslanders attending school in Victoria, Will Ashcroft attends Brighton Grammar these days but obviously spent the majority of his childhood on the Gold Coast and a year or two in our junior academy. Do we still have any claim to him or have we lost any right to academy draft him? With the way things ended with his father, I'm not sure he was ever going to opt for us to draft him but it would be nice to at least have the option. Will captained the U15 Victorian Schoolboys team last year so he's obviously talented but I'm expecting him to be father-son drafted to the Lions in a few years from now. Funnily enough, Jye Lockett's father, Neil, and Marcus Ashcroft actually got into a fight at a junior Gold Coast footy final two years ago and now both of their sons are playing footy in Victoria and attending private schools there.

Austin Harris is definitely one to keep an eye on next year. He moved down from Cairns a year earlier than usual to be a part of the PBC development pathway and I know the club really rated his ability in his younger years. Hopefully he's the next big thing to come out of Cairns after Bowes and Davies.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For those who have been asking about Brodie Lake, he IS indigenous (some were asking whether he was because of Harbrow's supposed attraction to mentoring him and Jeffrey) and you should check him out this U18 South Australian All Stars video below. A few of his highlights can be found at 2:08, 11:17, 16:19, 19:58, 39:01, 51:59 and 1:47:25. I've underlined goals. He seems to rotate between the midfield and forward line with no issues hitting the scoreboard so I definitely think we should draft him if he plays like this against the best U18 players in South Australia.

In other news. After all but confirming that Jeffrey is being academy pre-listed by us this year, I think it's worth noting that our academy has produced another drafted player who is the son of a former VFL/AFL player. There's also the possibility that Jack Johnston gets rookie draft this year and his father played in the VFL/AFL as well. That makes it three consecutive years in a row in which our academy has done this: 2018 - Bailey Scott (son of Robert), 2019 - Connor Budarick (son of Craig), Joel Jeffrey (son of Russell). What this shows is that a lot of former AFL footballers end up moving to the Gold Coast post-football and raise their kids here.

That's a fantastic outcome for our local footy scene as well as our future academy prospects. Jye Lockett (nephew of Tony) is probably the closest we'll have to a son of a former VFL/AFL player in next year's crop but Will Bella is probably the bigger win for us because his father played rugby league professionally in the ARL/NRL and we've managed to convince his son to pursue Aussie rules instead of rugby league. The following year we'll have Will Francou (son of Josh) coming through our academy but it's going to be mighty difficult to secure him if Port Adelaide have any interest in drafting him because he won't have completed the required five years of residence to be academy eligible for us. Anyway, the future looks good for our academy with all these famous bloodlines coming through.

Good for his AFL prospects I think.
James Rowe got drafted as a high end small forward in the SANFL. Was only 173cm.
If Gore can produce then he’ll get noticed.
Yeah, the SANFL is def a league that gets recruiters to notice yoi.

I was told. its a performance based contract, that he'd earn more than a AFL rookie. Also that clubs are looking at him, if he goes well, they're comnsidering him for the mid-season draft. They want to see him kick more goals (kicked 19 goals in 9 games, how many more do they want lol - 21 including finals)

I said he better buy some winter clothes, SA has 4 seasons unlike QLD haha.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah, the SANFL is def a league that gets recruiters to notice yoi.

I was told. its a performance based contract, that he'd earn more than a AFL rookie. Also that clubs are looking at him, if he goes well, they're comnsidering him for the mid-season draft. They want to see him kick more goals (kicked 19 goals in 9 games, how many more do they want lol - 21 including finals)

I said he better buy some winter clothes, SA has 4 seasons unlike QLD haha.
James Rowe, the 21 year old who got drafted kicked 47 goals in 17 games. Guess he has that to aim for.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thats pretty insane. Some AFL players struggle to get that in a 22 round season.
Especially given his team averaged 82 points a game despite winning the grand final.
He scored about a quarter of his teams total points for the whole year - as a small forward, pretty impressive. Guess that's why he got drafted!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back