Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Dirk Koenan looks to playing with Port Melbourne.

Aspley beating them easily so far with Aspleys tall forwards dominating.

Hammelman kicked 4.4 and Stackleberg 3.2

I would have thought so too but couldn’t find a profile for him.
Read an article last december after the draft said he was disappointed he didn't get drafted. he thought the SA clubs would look at him, but he said he didn't hear much from ANY AFL Club.

“I’m still a bit disappointed about the draft. After the Combine and my SANFL season I thought I was a chance at getting picked up,” Lake said.

“I thought maybe the Adelaide clubs would be looking at me, but I didn’t really hear too much from AFL clubs.

“I’ll go back to the SANFL halfway through next year and have another go at it.

Read an article last december after the draft said he was disappointed he didn't get drafted. he thought the SA clubs would look at him, but he said he didn't hear much from ANY AFL Club.

I regularly check the Safl scores as I have a nephew who plays for Norwood , from I can have seen some ex academy players Rusca , Jungfer ,Lake ,Gore, Cameron are all down there. Gore seems to be doing the best and is a senior regular but I rate an ex Tasmanian kid called Dakin who has been injured the last few years

I regularly check the Safl scores as I have a nephew who plays for Norwood , from I can have seen some ex academy players Rusca , Jungfer ,Lake ,Gore, Cameron are all down there. Gore seems to be doing the best and is a senior regular but I rate an ex Tasmanian kid called Dakin who has been injured the last few years
Lake not playing there this year though, unless I'm mistaken.

THE 2021 NAB AFL Academy squad will take on Geelong's VFL team at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday, April 24.

You can watch the LIVE stream on the AFL Live Official App and AFL.com.au from 10.10am AEST.

You can Austin in the video in this link

THE 2021 NAB AFL Academy squad will take on Geelong's VFL team at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday, April 24.

You can watch the LIVE stream on the AFL Live Official App and AFL.com.au from 10.10am AEST.

You can Austin in the video in this link

Probably Harris' first real chance to show he's one of the best draft prospects coming through this year after virtually no national attention last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably Harris' first real chance to show he's one of the best draft prospects coming through this year after virtually no national attention last year.
The AFL clearly think so, given not everyone gets into the academy. Its the best draft propects.The fact the suns have TWO is pretty amazing.

Anyone know how Harris and Stevens are going in the Academy game against Geelong's VFL team?
Watched the first few mins of the game.
Harris was playing down back

On the draft board they said that the academy got absolutely slaughtered.

About 20 different names mentioned as either good / average or poor with neither Harris nor Stevens mentioned once by any poster.

Guessing they didn't have much impact on the game.

Watched the first few mins of the game.
Harris was playing down back

On the draft board they said that the academy got absolutely slaughtered.

About 20 different names mentioned as either good / average or poor with neither Harris nor Stevens mentioned once by any poster.

Guessing they didn't have much impact on the game.
Only saw parts of the game as I was heading to the Qafl , neither was a standout , remember a lot of these boys are handpicked by the boys at AFL.com and are not necessarily the best ones or they need an NT player , they need a Tasmanian , need someone from a different background. If Johnstone and Bella have more AFL traits and suit our key position needs we should choose them

Only saw parts of the game as I was heading to the Qafl , neither was a standout , remember a lot of these boys are handpicked by the boys at AFL.com and are not necessarily the best ones or they need an NT player , they need a Tasmanian , need someone from a different background. If Johnstone and Bella have more AFL traits and suit our key position needs we should choose them
Don't think the AFL.com draft journalists have anything to do with choosing the AFL academy squad. In saying that, it is clear someone like Stephens was picked just because he's from the NT, not considered in the top 20.

Harris is clearly a good young player given he was selected in the u16 AA team so certainly conceivable he was picked on merit.

You've got to give our recruiters a bit more credit than that. They will pick the youngsters who they feel are the best chances to become best 22 meaningful AFL players.

Good to hear Johnstone apparently played well yesterday. He's a year older, so you hope he is a bit more advanced than some of the 18 year olds.

Don't think the AFL.com draft journalists have anything to do with choosing the AFL academy squad. In saying that, it is clear someone like Stephens was picked just because he's from the NT, not considered in the top 20.

Harris is clearly a good young player given he was selected in the u16 AA team so certainly conceivable he was picked on merit.

You've got to give our recruiters a bit more credit than that. They will pick the youngsters who they feel are the best chances to become best 22 meaningful AFL players.

Good to hear Johnstone apparently played well yesterday. He's a year older, so you hope he is a bit more advanced than some of the 18 year olds.
AFL com get their leaks and yes some of the irregular article writers are involved in selection, have no doubt Harris is good enough but if he comes in we need to get rid of either Ace , Rosa or MacPherson

AFL com get their leaks and yes some of the irregular article writers are involved in selection, have no doubt Harris is good enough but if he comes in we need to get rid of either Ace , Rosa or MacPherson
I would have thought Harbrow's retirement at the end of this season would match up perfectly with Harris joining our list considering they are both small defenders. We don't have a huge amount of depth in the small defender category outside of Budarick and Harbrow. Medium defender depth is better this year with Markov and Atkins joining but I'd like more small defenders on the list with Harbs' journey coming to a close later this year.

I would have thought Harbrow's retirement at the end of this season would match up perfectly with Harris joining our list considering they are both small defenders. We don't have a huge amount of depth in the small defender category outside of Budarick and Harbrow. Medium defender depth is better this year with Markov and Atkins joining but I'd like more small defenders on the list with Harbs' journey coming to a close later this year.

Looks like we can add Lemmens to the small defender list.

Looks like we can add Lemmens to the small defender list.
He can play on the smalls but I'd say he's more of a medium defender at 182cms. He's played well on players over 6ft as well as the smalls in the 175cm range so I think you'd classs him as a versatile medium defender, rather than a small defender.

Claiming Lemmo is a small defender is kind of like saying Sexton is a small forward, even though he's 185cms tall. He's really a medium forward that plays like a small.

The AFL clearly think so, given not everyone gets into the academy. Its the best draft propects.The fact the suns have TWO is pretty amazing.
Whilst generally true, they make an active effort to include at least one from each state in both the boys and girls national academy

Anyone know how Harris and Stevens are going in the Academy game against Geelong's VFL team?
Stevens didn't end up playing

He can play on the smalls but I'd say he's more of a medium defender at 182cms. He's played well on players over 6ft as well as the smalls in the 175cm range so I think you'd classs him as a versatile medium defender, rather than a small defender.

Claiming Lemmo is a small defender is kind of like saying Sexton is a small forward, even though he's 185cms tall. He's really a medium forward that plays like a small.
I would classify players based on their style of play not their measurements

Looking at the QAFL Colts competition results can sometimes give you an idea of which players to look out for in the future and I noticed the undefeated Labrador Colts are completely dominating the U19 QAFL competition at the moment. Perhaps the most interesting stat from their games this year was an 11-goal day out for Labrador's Josh Young. Anyone know anything about Young? I have to assume he's a key forward and I can see he's been included in our U17s academy team this year so we should find out some more about him as the year progresses. He also got called up to the Labrador QAFL reserves team last year and kicked a further 3 goals which is decent for a 16/17 year playing against grown men.

Top of the table clash this week in the QAFL reserves competition with Labrador heading up to the Sunny Coast to play Maroochydore. It'll be interesting to see how Young goes in a highly competitive game this weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back