Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps he just played really well in this particular game but had a fairly average season overall? The winner of the AFLQ Schools Cup Grand Final BoG award is usually a pretty indicator of future AFL players:

2020 - Will Bella
2019 - Aiden Fyfe
2018 - Ashton Crossley
2017 - Jacob Dawson
2016 - Brayden Crossley

Brown was an U15 All Australian who was in and out of the Broadbeach Cats Senior side this year. Was actually emergency for the Premiership winning team. Was a member of the Academy U19 squad this year, however was not selected for Combined Lions / Suns U19 team that played Tasmania in September.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Nice size and height.

But being added to the academy at age 18? What's the point?
not 100% sure but I suspect the capacity to pre-list him as a 19 year old next year if he continues to develop well?

Stats not super impressive but to play 10 senior WAFL games as a key position player is pretty good.

not 100% sure but I suspect the capacity to pre-list him as a 19 year old next year if he continues to develop well?

Stats not super impressive but to play 10 senior WAFL games as a key position player is pretty good.
As a key defender, most don't usually accumilate stats, so I don't think that's an issue. Looks like he rucked a little also in some games.

But clearly suns saw something to add him.

Turns out we have a Zaharakis in our academy...
17er constantly over-values our academy kids. He would like to bring 5-7 academy kids every year as all are future stars :) I like his passion though.

Uwland and Bella should be picked....Harris and Stevens really close as well. Hard choices to come.
That would be my choice too. But it looks like we have to go with one from NT. Happy with any choice, all are just promise at this stage, all close.

For once, I would love to see other clubs putting hard development years into kids only for Suns to pick them up :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah.
I have him behind Bella and Uwland.
But was highly rated coming into this year though.
The only thing going against Harris is his size. We have a lot of these guys already so would be hard to find a spot for him but won't be upset if we take him. Just don't see it over the others at this stage. It'll also be bad if we must use one of the 2 spots apparently available to NT at the expense of either Uwland or Bella. ...and then there's now Casey Voss as a mature ager to salivate over. This is why I just can't see any value in holding on to McLennan, Murtagh, Conroy and even Caleb Graham. A couple of strong young Academy kids, a couple of mature agers and one Pick 3 would be a good way to start the year.

Anybody have info around up to 20 PBC senior AFL girls and boys being suspended following the AFL schools cup finals?

Word is that a number of our Academy prospects were included in those suspended….

Not a good look if true.

Obviously I'm happy for team mates to go and have a beer and celebrate at a backyard party on the weekend.

But if they all got shitfaced whilst away on the sunny coast and effectively representing the school then that couldn't be tolerated.
I doubt they did anything too bad - probably just not the right setting.

Does anyone know anything about Lawsen Ford? I just read he's an academy prospect from Charters Towers who picked up Aussie rules just 18 months ago, spent this year playing in the Townsville AFL competition and is now moving to the Gold Coast for his 2022 draft year to play for our U19 academy team as well as QAFL Premiers Broadbeach. It sounds like this kid has some serious potential to get that far in less than two years!

Producing an AFL player from Charters Towers would be an incredible achievement for our club. For those who don't know, Charters Towers is a small regional town about 150km west of Townsville and is very much a rugby league stronghold. Ford himself even said he's been a "rugby league boy" his whole life so this would really be something if he were to get drafted this time next year. We may even pull off a one-two punch in terms of juniors from rugby league backgrounds with Ford and Will Bella possibly both joining our list over the next 12 months.

Does anyone know anything about Lawsen Ford? I just read he's an academy prospect from Charters Towers who picked up Aussie rules just 18 months ago, spent this year playing in the Townsville AFL competition and is now moving to the Gold Coast for his 2022 draft year to play for our U19 academy team as well as QAFL Premiers Broadbeach. It sounds like this kid has some serious potential to get that far in less than two years!

Producing an AFL player from Charters Towers would be an incredible achievement for our club. For those who don't know, Charters Towers is a small regional town about 150km west of Townsville and is very much a rugby league stronghold. Ford himself even said he's been a "rugby league boy" his whole life so this would really be something if he were to get drafted this time next year. We may even pull off a one-two punch in terms of juniors from rugby league backgrounds with Ford and Will Bella possibly both joining our list over the next 12 months.

203 cm ruckman with basketball background. Made Qld U17 squad this year, but could argue that was due to his height alone. Very, very raw skills wise and needs to fill out a lot, but that will come with time. Another NQ state rep, Dan Murtha, will also be joining Broady and the U19 academy next year.

203 cm ruckman with basketball background. Made Qld U17 squad this year, but could argue that was due to his height alone. Very, very raw skills wise and needs to fill out a lot, but that will come with time. Another NQ state rep, Dan Murtha, will also be joining Broady and the U19 academy next year.
203cm at 17 years of age? Wow. He may get drafted on height alone and it wouldn't be unreasonably to suggest he may still be growing!

When you're that height you can probably play well in a lower standard league like the Townsville AFL but he'll get found out pretty quickly in the QAFL if he's too reliant on his height. Here's hoping the kid actually has some talent and thrives at Broady next year!

What kind of player is Murtha?

203cm at 17 years of age? Wow. He may get drafted on height alone and it wouldn't be unreasonably to suggest he may still be growing!

When you're that height you can probably play well in a lower standard league like the Townsville AFL but he'll get found out pretty quickly in the QAFL if he's too reliant on his height. Here's hoping the kid actually has some talent and thrives at Broady next year!

What kind of player is Murtha?

Murtha is a defender from memory. 192cm on the team sheet. Played for the same club in Townsville as Lawsen Ford, Thuringowa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back