Gold Coast Suns - Another example of AFL over reaction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Crows the expansion team its establishment was totally f***** up by AFL first time around? Give it 10 years of misery (8 years spent in metal sheds), underfunded, 19 losses in a row and you can make a presentation to AFL asking for assistance. I don't like your chances.

So you label Suns a monster after 19 losses in a row, and now 3 wins and 2 losses. Don't you over-react a little bit?

In total Suns academy produced in 10 years 2 best 22 players - Bowes and Weller. This year possibly Budarick. Compared that to the original academy region GWS had and father/son and NGA players for other teams.

Not to rub it in but are you the poster who guaranteed that Rankine and Luko will leave the s*** Suns and would be Crows by now?
Dont be a flog.
When the Lions were basket cases for all those years, what did the AFL give them? One end of first round compo pick.
After you were given, and ruined, the cream of the kids for years, you were given orders or magnitude more than the Lions. Your coach came into the club like a total wank and alienated a number of players, which helped them make their mind up to leave the club. You delisted Lyons, who has shows what a *ed decision that was, and beforw you talk s**t, I can guarantee you I know more about what happened there than you do. The Lions are back up, after one end of round compo pick.
It was an over reaction, and you should have been treated the same as them.

Darwin is for 3 years as I understand it and can be removed anytime, it’s hardly Adelaide in terms of top quality players coming through, there is little to nothing coming to us over the next 2 years, pick 11 was traded. As for the players listed only Anderson is a priority pick, the rest are because we have been so crap.

the reality is as it stands at this point in time Anderson and Sharp as the player we got for trading pick 11 ( and is yet to debut) are All we received, we are grateful and whether it is fair is of course a matter of point of view but with less no1 picks than the demons and Carlton over our history we are hardly a sleeping monster
Pick 1 was the concession pick, you took Rowell with pick one. You also had an end of first. This year you get pick 11, and a end of first next year.
You also got first access to the state league players the year before. You have an expanded list.
And the Darwin area is on going. There isnt a three year time period on it.

The AFL over reacted and shat the bed.

Dont be a flog.
When the Lions were basket cases for all those years, what did the AFL give them? One end of first round compo pick.
After you were given, and ruined, the cream of the kids for years, you were given orders or magnitude more than the Lions. Your coach came into the club like a total wank and alienated a number of players, which helped them make their mind up to leave the club. You delisted Lyons, who has shows what a ******ed decision that was, and beforw you talk sh*t, I can guarantee you I know more about what happened there than you do. The Lions are back up, after one end of round compo pick.
the lowest amount of first rounders currently on a playing list in the AFL is 8. We had one year of large concessions, our first, in which we got 8 first round picks in order to give us a core of players that would eventually be able to compete in the AFL. Since then we've had the same as everyone else - one first round pick based on ladder finish, bar one year - last year with a priority pick that netted us Anderson (We we're always going to take Rowell with the pick we had). Receiving a pick for a player requesting a trade isn't being handed draft picks. Most supporters, and I'm sure the club, would have rather kept the likes of Caddy, Prestia, Lynch, May, Bennell, Saad, O'Meara rather than receive a pick for them.

You're also acting as though we're the only club to ever receive a priority pick.
During St Kilda's dominant years they had Riewoldt (captain and and all-time great) and Luke Ball as priority picks
Hawthorn has had Luke Hodge, Jarryd Roughhead (2 of their all-time great players and 2x Captains of the club) and Xavier Ellis as priority picks
West Coast had Judd (an all-time great) as a priority pick during their mid 2000's peak and then Luke Shuey, Jack Darling and Fraser McInnes as priority picks on their list during their 2018 premiership.
Richmond has had Deledio and Rance as Priority picks.
Collingwood had Dale Thomas as a priority pick during their 2010 premiership years (which coincidentally allowed them to draft Scott Pendlebury I'll add)
Western Bulldogs had Cooney and Griffin as priority picks in early 2000's
Carlton has also had Marc Murphy, Matthew Kruezer, Shaun Hampson and Andrew Walker as priotity picks in recent years.

Of the 9 teams that have played in grand finals since 2010 5 have had a priority picks since 2000.

This isn't a new thing. It's a way to keep teams competitive and it works. It also wasn't an over reaction, because we've never made finals (or finished higher than 12th), and we're still not in the 8 this year. They have the ability to (and they will) remove the future concessions from us.

Also, your own club shifted on Lyons, Greenwood, and Keath "who has shows what a ******ed decision that was", too.

Dont be a flog.
After you were given, and ruined, the cream of the kids for years, you were given orders or magnitude more than the Lions. Your coach came into the club like a total wank and alienated a number of players, which helped them make their mind up to leave the club. You delisted Lyons, who has shows what a ******ed decision that was, and beforw you talk sh*t, I can guarantee you I know more about what happened there than you do. The Lions are back up, after one end of round compo pick.
I never argued that AFL did not overreact. I personally believe they did. 19 losses in a row scared AFL the hell out of them. Nobody actually considered that Suns were decimated by injuries the last couple of seasons.

Not sure why you bring Lions into it. They are not an expansion club, the same Crows. Suns were started in a new territory and mostly because of AFL incompetence they were a basket case for the first 8 years (no argument there).

Lyons asked to be de-listed. It saved Suns money and they wanted to give opportunity to young midfielders. He sure did not make any difference while with Suns. Credit to Lyons. On his 3rd chance, he works hard and fits well in Lions team. Did Crows f****ed up too to let Lyons go?

Are you talking about Dew alienating players? You sure know nothing about Suns. Lynch, May were with Suns for 7 years and left because they wanted success, play finals now, not waiting another 3-4 years.

Good luck with Crows rebuild. You will need it.

Last edited:
Pick 1 was the concession pick, you took Rowell with pick one. You also had an end of first. This year you get pick 11, and a end of first next year.
You also got first access to the state league players the year before. You have an expanded list.
And the Darwin area is on going. There isnt a three year time period on it.

The AFL over reacted and shat the bed.
Pick 11 already gone - part of Sharp trade. Thank you AFL.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back