Prediction Gold Coast Suns Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
According to Dew Ah Chee most probably out for round 1 and Martin playing midfield. For me Thompson ahead of Leslie for now and Sexton in the best 22.
Martin could tear the competition apart as a midfielder. Im surprised Bowes and Brodie have been lef out of a lot of the best 22's here. I think both will improve a lot.
With that in mind I think your best 22 will be:
B: harbrow Thompson kolo
HB:Hanley May Bowes
C: Hall Barlow Weller
R: Witts Martin Swallow
HF: Ainsworth Wright Young
FF: Achee Lynch Day

I/C Fiorini, Lyons, Miller, Brodie

the_chad

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Final shot at it prior to JLT, much the same as others but will be an interesting reference for later. Hoping Martin has the chance to spend bulk minutes in the middle - absolute class. Short a mid-sized designated defender I feel but nobody is jumping out, hope Spencer can be that guy. Bowes would still be shafted to the flanks for now I believe so have opted for Sexton for versatility. Mids are deep as is: Swallow, Lyons, Weller, Martin, Hall, Barlow, Touk, Fiorini, Brodie, Young and Hanley will all roll through at stages. Ah Chee/Bowes first in for Day pending his readiness.

J. Joyce S. May J. Harbrow
K. Kolo R. Thompson P. Hanley

J. Witts D. Swallow L. Weller
J. Martin J. Lyons A. Hall

M. Barlow T. Lynch T. Miller
B. Ainsworth P. Wright A. Young

S. Day B. Fiorini W. Brodie A. Sexton

EMG: J. Bowes J. Leslie C. Ah Chee

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
New prediction for Round One
Hard leaving out some guys and I predict there will be some shake ups every Thursday.
Rationale:
- Rischa on stand-by for Weller to rotate through the mid-field
- 3 mids on bench
- Hall on a flank, makes way for Young depending on form
- Sexton in the pocket, waiting on Ah Chee's form and fitness
- Backline solid with ready replacements in NEAFL
- 17 of 22 from West Coast game 2017
- 3 players left,
- Lemmens and Brodie OUT
- Weller, Rischa, Hall, Bowes, Ainsworth IN
Injured - Callum Ah Chee

Round One vs Kangas
B: Jesse Joyce, Steven May, Jarrod Harbrow
HB: Lachie Weller, Jack Leslie, Kade Kolodjashnij
C: Matt Rosa, Jarryd Lyons, Pearce Hanley
HF: Aaron Hall, Tom Lynch, Jack Martin
F: Ben Ainsworth, Peter Wright, Alex Sexton
Foll: Jarrod Witts, David Swallow, Touk Miller
I/C: Jack Bowes, Michael Barlow, Brayden Fiorini, Michael Rischitelli

NEAFL
B: Josh Jaska, Rory Thompson, Jack Scrimshaw
HB: Connor Nutting, Max Spencer, Harrison Wigg
C: Jesse Lonergan, Mackenzie Willis, Wil Powell
HF: Aaron Young, Brayden Crossley, Charlie Ballard
F: Sean Lemmens, Sam Day, Darcy Macpherson
Foll: Tom Nicholls, Will Brodie, Brad Scheer
I/C: Nic Holman, Josh Schoenfeld, Jacob Dawson, Jacob Heron

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Hard leaving out some guys and I predict there will be some shake ups every Thursday.
Rationale:
- Rischa on stand-by for Weller to rotate through the mid-field
- 3 mids on bench
- Hall on a flank, makes way for Young depending on form
- Sexton in the pocket, waiting on Ah Chee's form and fitness
- Backline solid with ready replacements in NEAFL
- 17 of 22 from West Coast game 2017
- 3 players left,
- Lemmens and Brodie OUT
- Weller, Rischa, Hall, Bowes, Ainsworth IN
Injured - Callum Ah Chee

Round One vs Kangas

NEAFL
B: Josh Jaska, Rory Thompson, Jack Scrimshaw
HB: Connor Nutting, Max Spencer, Harrison Wigg
C: Jesse Lonergan, Mackenzie Willis, Wil Powell
HF: Aaron Young, Brayden Crossley, Charlie Ballard
F: Sean Lemmens, Sam Day, Darcy Macpherson
Foll: Tom Nicholls, Will Brodie, Brad Scheer
I/C: Nic Holman, Josh Schoenfeld, Jacob Dawson, Jacob Heron

Has Weller been training with the backs or mids?Would see him starting mid myself. Is Thompson not expected to be ready r1? I assume that's why you have Leslie. Who does Leslie take? Waite or Brown?

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Has Weller been training with the backs or mids?Would see him starting mid myself. Is Thompson not expected to be ready r1? I assume that's why you have Leslie. Who does Leslie take? Waite or Brown?

Leslie overtook Thompson as preferred 2nd tall last year. In the intraclub match, which was played behind closed doors, it appears that Leslie matched up on Lynch. That seems to me that he's got the jump on Rory. This year's Suns have options in defence and they are all good. May wants to play more like Rance, which requires having faith in the defensive setup and knowing he's loose to be able to move off the man he's marking in order to spoil contests and double team.

Brown was a problem for us last year, but the Suns still managed to win. That first game was the most frustrating loss because the umpires gave away soooo many free kicks right in front of goal. It seemed like the Suns had to toil and scrape every goal, but Norf would manage a reply without raising a sweat. Waite was good last year, but if he's Norf's great white hope then they're in for a dirty season. Day has indicated he likely won't be risking himself in defence until he has more match fitness, so I think he comes back through NEAFL even though he's a star.

To be honest with you, nobody really knows much about the new Suns squad. They came out last month all bulked up and the new players look impressive. Weller has played through the midfield and Rischa off halfback. There are a lot more moving parts this go around, with another year of experience and competition for spots like I've never seen before. Next week's JLT will tell us something about the new coach's plans.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That first game was the most frustrating loss because the umpires gave away soooo many free kicks right in front of goal.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed
Just like that 2nd half umpiring effort vs Western Bulldogs in the JLT
See my theory on umpires getting their KPIs up against us
if I was an umpire I'd do it too

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I’m quite convinced that we never get a fair rub of the green from the AFL Umpires.
Away from home we get downright slaughtered by them and at home we get a bit more of a go but never get the home ground decisions that other clubs get.

Greendogg

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gee I hope the players don't buy into "the umpires are against us" theme that is starting to play out here...
We have gotten exactly as we have deserved and need to concentrate on getting better, not blaming umpires...

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Round One vs Kangas

Does Rischa still make our best 22?Probably, because at his best he's better than Matt Rosa but I wouldn't play Matt Rosa and Rischa in the same team.
They are super subs for injuries this year I think
My centre-line is -Lyons Swallow Hanley
If you're playing Mick Barlow he only has one position and that's ruck rover IMO
I'd probably have Lemmens in a forward pocket
That leaves Riska on the bench to sub with Barlow and Sexton,Bowes and Fiorini can earn some turns in the centre rotations
So Lemmens in, Rosa out, Sexton i/c ,Swallow in the centre and Barlow "ruck-roving"( whatever that means- not quaite a rover/not quaite a rucqmen but served with a slice of cantaloupe is quaite delicious(with apologies to the Simpsons)

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Gee I hope the players don't buy into "the umpires are against us" theme that is starting to play out here...
We have gotten exactly as we have deserved and need to concentrate on getting better, not blaming umpires...

Tell that to Matthew Nicholls - although he may be just incompetent as opposed to bias

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
More than a theory

Eade contacts umpires over two calls
5 May, 2017
  • Mitchell Van Homrigh
Gold Coast coach Rodney Eade is hoping for a change of fortune after the Suns have been on the wrong end of a few recent AFL umpiring decisions.

Eade called the umpires department to seek clarification on calls made in the 13-point, round six loss to North Melbourne.

The veteran coach questioned a push in the back against Sean Lemmens which led to a Nathan Hrovat goal and a throw called against Brandon Matera.

"They (the umpires) agreed the two free-kicks the media brought up in the press conference weren't warranted and should not have been paid," Eade said on Thursday.

"There's no good whingeing and moaning about it.

"(I called) to say 'where's the demarcation line about the first one, the bump, and is that going to be a free-kick from now on?'"

It's been an unfortunate trend for the Suns who also had a controversial deliberate rushed behind call go against them in the round-five loss to Adelaide.

Defender Kade Kolodjashnij punched the ball over the goal line as Crows forward Troy Menzel bore down on him.

But Eade says the umpiring was not an issue for his players.

"They are what they are, hopefully, there's swings and roundabouts and you get a few the other way," Eade said.

Gold Coast host Geelong at Metricon Stadium on Saturday.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Does Rischa still make our best 22?Probably, because at his best he's better than Matt Rosa but I wouldn't play Matt Rosa and Rischa in the same team.
They are super subs for injuries this year I think
My centre-line is -Lyons Swallow Hanley
If you're playing Mick Barlow he only has one position and that's ruck rover IMO
I'd probably have Lemmens in a forward pocket
That leaves Riska on the bench to sub with Barlow and Sexton,Bowes and Fiorini can earn some turns in the centre rotations
So Lemmens in, Rosa out, Sexton i/c ,Swallow in the centre and Barlow "ruck-roving"( whatever that means- not quaite a rover/not quaite a rucqmen but served with a slice of cantaloupe is quaite delicious(with apologies to the Simpsons)

Yeah, I rate Lemmens as coming pretty close to the 22, but just not as a forward due to his yips last season in front of goal.
My emergencies would be Lemmens, Day, Young

I agree regarding Barlow, and only named him on the bench because that's where he played a lot last year.

Disagree on Rosa, but JLT might change my mind, as his experience and incumbency trumps the 5 blokes with claims on his spot. For now.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We need to improve to the point where the umpiring decisions don't effect the outcomes of our matches. Hopefully Dew focusing on our defensive techniques such as tackling will help. A few more to Lynch wouldn't hurt either. Harris Andrews basically molested him in Rd 1. and got away with it.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
We need to improve to the point where the umpiring decisions don't effect the outcomes of our matches. Hopefully Dew focusing on our defensive techniques such as tackling will help. A few more to Lynch wouldn't hurt either. Harris Andrews basically molested him in Rd 1. and got away with it.

I think Lynch took out an AVO on Andrews after that game

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In 2016, Lynch had his peak year, but 2017 was comparable to his 2015 efforts even though he was injured. Tom has always been mugged in marking contests and everyone always said he needed to get stronger and be able to outmuscle the tall defenders who could shut him down. In 2014-15, he was easily making 6 or 7 marks per game, with around 40% contested and 45% inside 50. Yet he was targetted a hell of a lot more than that and earned only 38 free kicks over those 42 games and got pinged 45 times.

Come 2016 and all of his stats go up, notably goals and Brownlow Votes (polling in 7 games, as opposed to 2 games each in 14 and 15). The reason I mention Brownlow Votes is because they are decided by umpires and if he's suddenly being rated in over 30% of his games compared to less than 10% it is because they are talking about him. In fact, in the 5 seasons Lynch has polled votes you can plot the highest number of free kicks against the number of games he won Brownlow votes and get a match - the more games, the more free kicks.

Except in 2017, Lynch's free kick differential made a dramatic shift with the fewest free kicks against of any year apart from 2013 when he only played 8 games, while he had a higher average of free kicks for per game than even 2016 when the ball came his way over 20% more often. I think a correction was made by umpires across 2015 to 2017, which didn't occur straight away, has seen some wild variations between the times and teams that he's been physically assaulted by without penalty. Becoming captain possibly explains why he's able to pull a higher average of frees and also get the umpies to let them play more.

If I'm right and Lynch is getting more respect from the white maggots then it is potentially worth 10 goals.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We had a bad game but go back and have a look at the vision of the first quarter of that match.There was a throw paid against Maysie in the 15m square that was ludicrous and Ablett ridden into the ground gets a holding the ball.If you recall the AFL decided there wasn't going to be any leniency in disposal- surprise surprise the umpires did their KPI stats a favour on us round 1 but by round 4 the Melbourne Mafia has ensured the rules had slid back to "reasonable attempt"

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We had a bad game but go back and have a look at the vision of the first quarter of that match.There was a throw paid against Maysie in the 15m square that was ludicrous and Ablett ridden into the ground gets a holding the ball.If you recall the AFL decided there wasn't going to be any leniency in disposal- surprise surprise the umpires did their KPI stats a favour on us round 1 but by round 4 the Melbourne Mafia has ensured the rules had slid back to "reasonable attempt"
May didn't play that day or Thompson or KK, so our tall defenders were Leslie and Joyce. The second game in Round 13 May, Thompson and Leslie all lined up to defend Brown, Waite and Daw. Begs the question for round 1 if Dew reckons his backline can handle Norf's talls - Ben Brown has 13 goals against the Suns in 3 games and Waite was in vintage form, but the Suns won in every possible metric (except toughness). May was able to allow his fellow talls to mark the big boys while he repelled attack after attack inside 50 with 7 rebound 50s, 8 marks and 9 one percenters.

Gold Coast: Lynch 5, Ainsworth 4, Sexton 2, Martin 2, Swallow 2, Miller, Wright, Fiorini - You've gotta love this scoresheet! Except Lemmens with 0.4!!

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
May didn't play that day or Thompson or KK, so our tall defenders were Leslie and Joyce. The second game in Round 13 May, Thompson and Leslie all lined up to defend Brown, Waite and Daw. Begs the question for round 1 if Dew reckons his backline can handle Norf's talls - Ben Brown has 13 goals against the Suns in 3 games and Waite was in vintage form, but the Suns won in every possible metric (except toughness). May was able to allow his fellow talls to mark the big boys while he repelled attack after attack inside 50 with 7 rebound 50s, 8 marks and 9 one percenters.

Gold Coast: Lynch 5, Ainsworth 4, Sexton 2, Martin 2, Swallow 2, Miller, Wright, Fiorini - You've gotta love this scoresheet! Except Lemmens with 0.4!!
The thing with lemmens is when he takes the shot he's generally under pressure with no movement in the forward line. For mine unless we unearth someone that does similar but with better foot disposal we're going to need Lemmens in the 22 as that defensive Forward to try lock that ball in the area.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The thing with lemmens is when he takes the shot he's generally under pressure with no movement in the forward line. For mine unless we unearth someone that does similar but with better foot disposal we're going to need Lemmens in the 22 as that defensive Forward to try lock that ball in the area.
I'm as critical of Lemmens as anyone but the closer to goal he is the happier I am.My pacemaker can't deal with him in the backline

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Swans won a game last season where Buddy kicked 0.6 and it won them the game in term of the final score and the pressure it put on their opponents having to come out of defence so often. Obviously a goal is better, but Lemmens has value in the forward, that's for sure. The thing is he never really had a goalkicking problem before last season and small forwards aren't really expected to have high accuracy given the pressure they're under when they kick, as you mentioned. Eade certainly never did anything for his confidence. Interesting stat about Lemmens - he is better at home in every stat than away except goalkicking: 8.14 at home, 8.5 away.
I reckon the best thing for him is to be stashed in the forward line in the NEAFL and earn his spot.

Back