Mr Crow!

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2004
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...-for-gold-coast/2008/08/15/1218307237918.html

THE traditional jumper with stripes or a V-yoke might appeal to purists and romantics, but it does not appeal to the new Gold Coast team.

When the new team enters the AFL in 2011 it will do so in a modern, "sexy" jumper, not a traditional or old-fashioned one depending on your perspective, according to GC17 director Graeme Downie.

The consortium this week appointed a coach, yesterday advertised for a chief executive and currently has a handful of teenagers signed to play for it in the TAC and VFL over the next two years.

The club has yet to finalise a decision on its name or the colours it will carry, but has indicated the style of the jumpers will be modern.

"We will have a big announcement in a few weeks time. It is a long process," Downie said. "We want to get the logo and the colours right, and we are still working on those."

Blue and yellow, representing the sand and water of the famed Gold Coast beaches, might have been a favoured option for a Gold Coast side, but with West Coast already wearing these colours, and the local National Rugby League side, the Gold Coast Titans, also wearing blue and yellow, this would appear an unlikely choice.

"You don't want to follow them (the Titans), but there are plenty of options," Downie said.

"As for the style of the jumper, I don't think we will be coming up with a yoke or stripes. That's the old days.

"What we come up with will have a sexy feel about it without being ridiculous.

"Something more in keeping with the times. Collingwood's jumper is fantastic and it still works, but that is from a hundred years ago.

"The V that some clubs wear, Sydney wears, that is the same, and we would not go that way."

Of the newer teams to enter the AFL — Fremantle, Port Adelaide, Adelaide and West Coast — only Adelaide could be said to have chosen a traditional home jumper.

The others have all included multiple colours and slashes and swipes to varying degrees of success.

"There are a lot of factors to weigh up, commercial issues and the like, and we will have consultative groups, but really the best way to do it is to get a dozen fans in the room and sit them down and show them the options and say 'make your choice'," Downie said.

cue the hot pink jumper ...

17s_hardie.jpg

in the 80s, that was supposed to be "sexy" too :rolleyes:

So Downie is going to get a dozen fans in a room to make the choice of design and colours for the new GC strip. GSMe. Makes you wonder why we bother on BF with around 30 pages of jersey design for the new club.

Still reckon Crow28's design the best for GC Marlins.
(I'm not sure if Mr Crow is the same poster.) The V of the swordfish can be curved to make it more sexy. :p:)

Repeating Crow28s offering- still the best I've seen. Now how could you sex that up? Put them on some Meter Maids???? (I'd swap the clash and main around though, and drop the spearmint?)

Re: Gold Coast name down to 5.
Don't mind the Marlins name myself. Also like the stingrays as a second option, but the others are just shithouse.

Decided to mock-up some Marlins designs:

MarlinsMontage.jpg

I was wondering what GC fans on this board thought of about the idea of changing the club's logo and guernsey.
The Suns branding has never been popular on the graphic design board but I'm interested to hear the opinions of people who actually support the team.

Ideas have been thrown around this thread lately which lead me to work on this new logo concept.
GCSuns Logo Concept 2.png
With this logo I'm trying to create a strong, memorable symbol that could be synonymous with the club's image. Similar to what Carlton have with their monogram.
The logo is in the shape of a sun that combines to create a G on the outside, while the C sits inside the centre. The left version features waves of red and yellow in the style of a life guard flag to represent the club's seaside identity. The right version is simplified to match the colour scheme of the home guernsey.

Along with this concept I've created a few redesigns for the club guernseys.
GCS Rebrand Options.png
The top left and right designs are the same as the old jumpers, just with the new logo.
The top centre design is my own design which is a modern take on the yoke/sash, with sun rays shining from the club logo on the chest.
The bottom 2 show how the blue version of the logo could be adapted as a guernsey design. These might be better suited as clash/alternative guernseys.

Let me know what you think.

Thumbs up from me. Certainly a more sophisticated take on our club emblem. I really like the classic logo theme - ala Carlton. I'm all for that style becoming part of our look. Very partial to the top left, although it might be a tad 'busy' with the name in text (then again, it's a great point of difference). Conversely, the top right looks a little simple without the name - but simple is classic and with the use of two letters (instead of four - GCFC) you have incorporated them within a 'SUN' - easily better than our current GC. Like the sash look too - very distinctive with the 'rays' - slightly oriental looking in style - which I like! Perhaps the monogram is a little small on this but not a major deal.

Well done brother. Can anyone in our 'officialdom' take a look at these??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was wondering what GC fans on this board thought of about the idea of changing the club's logo and guernsey.
The Suns branding has never been popular on the graphic design board but I'm interested to hear the opinions of people who actually support the team.

Ideas have been thrown around this thread lately which lead me to work on this new logo concept.
View attachment 266323
With this logo I'm trying to create a strong, memorable symbol that could be synonymous with the club's image. Similar to what Carlton have with their monogram.
The logo is in the shape of a sun that combines to create a G on the outside, while the C sits inside the centre. The left version features waves of red and yellow in the style of a life guard flag to represent the club's seaside identity. The right version is simplified to match the colour scheme of the home guernsey.

Along with this concept I've created a few redesigns for the club guernseys.
View attachment 266322
The top left and right designs are the same as the old jumpers, just with the new logo.
The top centre design is my own design which is a modern take on the yoke/sash, with sun rays shining from the club logo on the chest.
The bottom 2 show how the blue version of the logo could be adapted as a guernsey design. These might be better suited as clash/alternative guernseys.

Let me know what you think.
Love the logo any chance of a mock up Guernsey much like the Swans but yellow on top red below and your new logo where the opera house is located. Hopefully that makes sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the logo any chance of a mock up Guernsey much like the Swans but yellow on top red below and your new logo where the opera house is located. Hopefully that makes sense
Like this?
Gold Coast Iva Rebrand.png

Your suggestion reminds me of your original mascot, Gary Clifford Irons. Which I used as the basis for some more designs.
I prefer having the red on top though.
GCS Rebrand Options 2-01.png

i think its too busy.
needs to be plain and simple.
simple works best in my opinion
It was definitely intended to be simple. The GC/sun rays part is made up of 9 fairly basic shapes.

I think your right about the red on top also in my mind the logo would be about half the size with the "Ray's" at 10 and 2 being in line with the edge of the V
Gold Coast Iva Rebrand 2.png
Not sure how I feel about it. I don't hate it but I prefer the other concepts.

It was definitely intended to be simple. The GC/sun rays part is made up of 9 fairly basic shapes.

View attachment 266389
Not sure how I feel about it. I don't hate it but I prefer the other concepts.
Thanks LeeARM i think the mock up probably without the logo is a big chance of becoming a reality at some point in the future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back